Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: Hawken - Indie Mech Game - Now F2P and On Steam  (Read 22435 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Hawken - Indie Mech Game
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2011, 12:43:58 pm »

With the exception of the fast jumpjetting around horizontally, it's not significantly off from MechWarrior 4's medium mech (read: fun mech, but this is a matter of personal opinion--anything more than 60 tons I cannot stand) mobility.

Eeeh... I'm not so sure. I've never seen any of Mechwarrior 4's mechs make sudden turns (without having to slow down for several seconds) like the mechs in the trailer were. I mean compare the Cougar (Isn't that one of the fastest scout mechs?) to those. Sure it can be pretty fast in a straight away, but they don't turn on a dime and ignore inertia. You either have to slow down a lot to take a sharp turn, or take the turn wide. Unless of course there is some way to quickly turn a mech I don't know about (Entirely possible).
Gears in heavy gear 2 did though...

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2011, 03:18:59 pm »

I'm a little disappointed about how fast and twitchy the mechs feel. That new trailer doesn't portray feeling of riding a large death machine, at all. They turn and fly and whatnot far too fast. Maybe it will feel better when played than it looks now, but as it is, it just seems like Quake with mechs. (Plus I wonder if the enviroment can be damaged and destroyed at all. Huge death machines should, you know, leave their mark on the surroundings.)

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2011, 04:29:57 pm »

Yeah, I think agree with the general sentiment here. Looks great, but where's the weight? Where's the kick from the mech standing on the roof firing his 'howitzers' downwards? How come they jump like it's unreal tournament?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2011, 04:44:34 pm »

I am in complete religious militant opposition to the viewpoint here.

Fuck the weight. Fuck the 'generic FPS' bullshit. It's an indie team making a multiplayer FPS that looks gorgeous. I don't need my mech to feel a certain way other than fun. Sailing through the air like it ain't no thing? Sounds fucking awesome. Shooting missiles that look amazing with nice sound effects? Fuck yeah man sounds great.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2011, 04:45:44 pm »

I am in complete religious militant opposition to the viewpoint here.

Fuck the weight. Fuck the 'generic FPS' bullshit. It's an indie team making a multiplayer FPS that looks gorgeous. I don't need my mech to feel a certain way other than fun. Sailing through the air like it ain't no thing? Sounds fucking awesome. Shooting missiles that look amazing with nice sound effects? Fuck yeah man sounds great.

Heh, I'm the same way.  I didn't think it looked twitchy enough.  The way they were aiming it looked pretty slow.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2011, 04:46:52 pm »

I actually think a median between being twitchy and slow hulking would be fine. I would have to get my hands on it to tell if whatever speed they chose works or not.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2011, 09:15:23 pm »

As someone who loves MW, I'm going to agree with Duke.
The game is beautiful and falls heavily under rule of cool.
Also, you want the game to be less twitchy?
Voice your opinion to the developers.
It's not like it's being made by some big-name company that won't listen.

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2011, 09:32:41 pm »

Meh. It's their game and it seems to me they already know how they want it to handle. I very much doubt I'd be able to convince them otherwise, even less so when I will likely never be a potential customer due to the requirements this game looks like it'll have.

Just figured I'd go into the discussion thread and discuss, ya know? Nothin' wrong with that.  :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2011, 10:52:29 pm »

Like, I heard this game is so un-Mech-like, your onboard computer's voice is done in auto-tune.  :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2011, 08:55:06 am »

Like, I heard this game is so un-Mech-like, your onboard computer's voice is done in auto-tune.  :P
If that's the case, I'll have to find some way of replacing it with Vocaloid.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2011, 06:35:04 pm »

They released some a new gameplay video. This game is getting some serious press.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEAEARD-Fo
It looks beautiful.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2011, 06:49:15 pm »

I can't really tell if anything has improved in that video. Then again, I didn't have many problems with it to begin with.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2011, 11:44:48 pm »

I was a bit on the fence about the gameplay when I first saw it, but I'm feeling more optimistic with that latest trailer. And good grief, it really does look amazing. I think the only reason it feels shocking is because I'm used to seeing the amazing artistic abilities of indie developers being displayed in 2D or 2.5D games, so it just feels like a really big jump from there.

About the "twitchy" discussion, well... It is being advertised as an FPS, and I don't personally know of many non-twitchy shooters. I think the biggest question is how mech customization is going to work, or if it will only be weapons scattered around a map for you to pick up. That will probably be a big make-or-break point for a lot of people. I'm a fan of the twitch based controls in the AC series(ohgodAC5maybethisyear) so this game looks like an easy transition for me, but that just isn't the case for everyone.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2011, 02:30:40 am »

Those animations are godly and the details are glorious.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2011, 02:58:55 am »

If they make customization something between MW and WoT i will be sold because if those games have anything right it's customization and building your own stuff :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16