Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Hawken - Indie Mech Game - Now F2P and On Steam  (Read 22422 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Hawken - Indie Mech Game - Now F2P and On Steam
« on: March 10, 2011, 07:20:16 pm »

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/10/hawken-the-indie-mech-shooter-set-in-an-astonishing-sci-fi-megacity/

Saw this on another forum. Jaw dropping visuals considering 9 guys cranked that out in 9 months. I'm sitting here drooling at the prospect of multiplayer on those maps.

Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/271290
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:58:25 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Hawken - Indie Mech Game
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 07:57:55 pm »

Obviously the animation needs a ton of work, and the Bourne Identity camera is nausea inducing.  Being a rendered camera, that's intentional, which is a problem.

But yeah, my gob has been officially smacked off.  Not just by the technical accomplishment, but by one of the most stunningly and believably gritty sci-fi frescoes I've seen in a long time.  The attention and design is unbelievable.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:29:30 pm »

Yeah, the shaky cam needs to die, but I hope that's just for cinematic effect in the trailers. Full game will be 1st person perspective.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 08:30:58 pm »

Woah.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 08:35:29 pm »

Wow. Yeah, I'd never have guess that was from a small studio and done in just 9 months.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 08:36:54 pm »

If they can turn down the shake even a little I'm sold. No wonder it's pretty, they've got guys from Project Offset involved. Shame nothing really ever came of that project.

Deadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 09:31:26 pm »

I rather like the shake. It makes it feel more like I'm piloting a mech, and less like it's on marbles. Maybe they'll allow people to adjust how much it shakes.

And damn, if they did this much in 9 months with 9 people, I'd like to see it once it's finalized.
Quote from: chmod
SEX AND HAPPINESS NOW REPORTING CORRECTLY!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 09:34:48 pm »

Cockpit view at the end reminds me of the cockpits in this game. In my opinion, this is a good thing.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 09:52:01 pm »

Hope they tun down the flight a bit, and make it a bit more violent. Looks great, but the whole "Pound the enemy ____ until his HP is gone!" thing gets boring after a while.
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 09:58:43 pm »

Yeah, combat looked a bit twitchy.
Hopefully there will be customazation enough to make a walking tank with a BFG to snipe with, crapping your pants as a squad of airborne light mechs catch up on your position, with you unable to manuever effectively because of your weight. But that's wishful thinking.

Certainly one to watch.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 10:00:43 pm »

Eh. Certainly looks nice, for a game with such limited resources, but truth be told the few seconds showing the cockpit view were more intriguing than most of the rest of it put together; and most of that was the looming, sinister-glowing structure/ship and the ship firing missiles down.

The rest just looked like robots jumping around and spamming missiles at each other, some of which actually managed to hit. Half the time I couldn't even tell if there were teams or who was shooting at what.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Trappin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 10:08:13 pm »

Moebius would love it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 10:13:20 pm »

The animation really needs smoothing. *nods*

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 10:22:51 pm »

This is the most delicious-looking mech game I've seen in a long time. The style smacks heavily of the Maschinen Krieger universe, which I'm absolutely loving. Throw in some suitably complex customization, and I'm sold.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 10:33:03 pm »

Eh. Certainly looks nice, for a game with such limited resources, but truth be told the few seconds showing the cockpit view were more intriguing than most of the rest of it put together; and most of that was the looming, sinister-glowing structure/ship and the ship firing missiles down.

The rest just looked like robots jumping around and spamming missiles at each other, some of which actually managed to hit. Half the time I couldn't even tell if there were teams or who was shooting at what.

The whole game is cockpit view, as it's an FPS. The third person stuff was all for promo purposes
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16