Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: Hawken - Indie Mech Game - Now F2P and On Steam  (Read 22406 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: Hawken - Indie Mech Game - Beta Signups Open, referrals for ALL!
« Reply #195 on: March 09, 2014, 10:38:04 pm »

Bought the T-32 Bolt for the raider, despite the 6000+ HC price tag. Did good with it one round...then raider went back to being bad. Should've just got the grenadier.

It'd be nice if they implemented a sell back feature. Don't like a thing? Get a 50% refund of HC or something. No meteor point refund because that's real munnehs, yo.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 09, 2014, 11:22:37 pm »

I just worked so hard to unlock it, I couldn't help myself. ;^;
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 10, 2014, 04:09:17 am »

I have to say I really don't like the way the mechs are locked so that you have to purchase them before you can use them, and the same for weapons. I remember when you'd actually be able to play every class in a multiplayer game without having to spend time playing something you don't like in order to be able to unlock other things... Oh wait, you can still do that, just not in free to play games. (Although Loadout isn't so bad, you have all the basic weapon classes unlocked right at the start along with grenades)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Hawken - Indie Mech Game - Now F2P and On Steam
« Reply #198 on: March 10, 2014, 10:06:51 am »

Theres a few mechs you can try out for free, they're called test drives. You don't get any xp while using them until you actually buy the mech though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 10, 2014, 11:11:06 am »

I assume test drives are changed regularly? Once a week or so?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 11, 2014, 09:28:19 pm »

I can see it now, teams full of free technicians healing each other to death.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 13, 2014, 12:27:53 pm »

I downloaded this and tried it out and it's pretty fun!

I got the Reaper with my free Meteor points and it's really good. I've been looking at a medium mech as well, though. I'm choosing between the bruiser and the predator. Bruiser is good, I tried it in test drive, but pretty similar to the recruit, but with lower range and more damage. How is the Predator? The weapons look interesting and completely different, but it hard to estimate how good they are from just stats.

Any opinions?
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 13, 2014, 01:01:12 pm »

I love my reaper. Use it all the time, trolling people from ages away. They never see the damage coming, and before they know it, their health is half gone.

And if they try to run from my friends, I snipe away the last chunk of their health. Absolutely amazing.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 13, 2014, 02:28:50 pm »

I'd read the EOC does more damage hitting than as a mine.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 13, 2014, 03:14:31 pm »

Ah, some good advice there, appreciated.

I think I'll actually wait for a while more to decide. The more I read about both Bruiser and Predator, the less I get eager to play them. I mostly wanted a B-mech since I like the Recruit and its playstyle and I wanted something similar with closer range. Maybe the Assault is my best bet.

It just seems so very similar to the Recruit...

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 13, 2014, 11:18:38 pm »

Silf, I'd definitely recommend doing research before buying your first mech with your free hawken points. Test drives and reading meta game commentary on balance and gameplay and stuff on the Hawken forums would probably be the best option. Youtube videos can also give an idea of how a mech might play, but the videos can be outdated.

Don't do an impulse buy like I did. You're basically paying with free time, and spending the free points on a mech that you find out you don't like or that's underpowered, niche, or whatever, would make it way less fun and more grinding to get enough points to make a better purchase.

Also, Raider at the moment is meh. From my experience, an assault or just the recruit works better. Raider's secondary takes 4 seconds to reload, making a missed shot painful, the primary generates heat pretty fast compared to machine guns, and the skill takes 60 seconds to cool down for 10 seconds of speed. Not as good as berserker's pure damage or assault's heat-sinks or bruiser's damage tanking that only has a 10 sec cool down. Raider could still be really good, but from my own experience playing on a relatively poor performance computer, it's not as easy to play as an assault mech.

If you had to choose between raider, assault, or berserker, I'd recommend an assault or berserker over the raider until it gets some changes. I played berserker in beta, before there were various changes such as the hud and mech health changes, and berserker was fun. I actually had worse FPS then, and still had fun with berserker. Raider feels like a chore to play and half the time I feel too weak to actually fight an opponent. Berserker is basically an assault but lighter, faster, and more airborne.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 14, 2014, 11:45:34 am »

Thanks for all the advice, I think I'm going to go with an assault. Since it's cheaper than the others, I'll even have credits to spare for internals and items for both the assault and my Reaper.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 20, 2014, 08:44:40 am »

Just got into this yesterday for the first time, and already racked up 3 hours of playtime. Fun as hell.

So far I've purchased a Reaper (was underwhelmed) and a Brawler (hell to the yeah....activate Turret/Gandalf mode: YOU SHALL NOT PASS, MOTHERFUCKERS!), all with HC. Saving my Metro credits for some sweet customizations. I soooooo want that Bunker Yakuza chassis for my Brawler....

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 20, 2014, 06:51:39 pm »

So imagine my joy at finding both the grenadier and berserker mechs available for test drives (it involved some mental squealing). Anyway, those two are up for test drives. Odd that they only have two types available this week.

Well I got some reason to play Hawken some more. Playing around with the Berserker on bot training, and the little guy flies really fast. Devs must have buffed that since beta. Probably going to get either the berserker or scout once I save up the points. Might get grenadier instead, if my projectile prediction skeels improve enough while racking up the Hawken points.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 21, 2014, 01:11:15 am »

So imagine my joy at finding both the grenadier and berserker mechs available for test drives (it involved some mental squealing). Anyway, those two are up for test drives. Odd that they only have two types available this week.

Well I got some reason to play Hawken some more. Playing around with the Berserker on bot training, and the little guy flies really fast. Devs must have buffed that since beta. Probably going to get either the berserker or scout once I save up the points. Might get grenadier instead, if my projectile prediction skeels improve enough while racking up the Hawken points.

They have three test drives: Grenadier, Berserker and Raider.

Yeah, I really like the Berserker. Fits my play style well (basically, get all up in your face, trigger my special and go out in a blaze of glory, racking up the double and triple kills as I die and clearing chokepoints).

Of course, my other play style is so well suited to the Brawler. Turret up, and just pound into submission anyone who tries to claim my little missile silo/AA/EU dispenser zone.

Really taking a liking to Siege mode, although it can be infuriating if you get a team that doesn't understand how to play it. Nothing worse than launching your battleship, only to see the AA have 5 enemies on it as soon as it unlocks.

I thought I'd like the Reaper as I tend to like sniper-y classes. But the damage output just seems too low and the mech too frail.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16