Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: Hawken - Indie Mech Game - Now F2P and On Steam  (Read 22413 times)

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hawken - Indie Mech Game - Beta Signups Open, referrals for ALL!
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2012, 10:01:54 pm »

I guess they finally figured out how amazing a fully-mobile assault with assault rifle could be, as I'm doing no where near as well now as I was in the alpha. Unfortunate!

Still feels about the same, though the heat rifle seems awfully good, and the assault mech's main weapons awfully bad. Maybe I'm using them wrong?
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 09, 2012, 12:08:24 am »

Closed beta numbah two! Woooooooooooooo!

Closed beta 1 was great. The level of immersion in this game is just awesome. All the extra touches on the HUD, the feel of the cockpit swaying as you walk, it's just swell.

I don't like the auto-aim a whole lot, but the restriction from the cockpit's turning speed makes it necessary, I guess.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 09, 2012, 09:48:14 am »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:51:07 pm by coolio678 »
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 13, 2012, 04:26:45 am »

I just play tested the Open Beta. It feels so unpolished and it's hard to find matches. World of Tanks Closed Beta was much more smoother than this.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 13, 2012, 04:30:27 am »

based on what I heard, it used to be there was a server browser and it played more like TF2, where you'd drop into an already in progress game. The matchmaking has put a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths... and to be honest... they probably shouldn't have gone open beta in this state... marketing nightmare...

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 13, 2012, 04:37:06 am »

Well just in case you want to bear the pain of being an early bird, any XP and credits earned are not going to be wiped out from today onwards.

Still, to me this plays like twitch-based FPS but with mechs instead of people.

And oh the costs of mechs and upgrades are high.. If you thought World of Tanks was grindy, you would not like this one.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 14, 2012, 12:40:51 pm »

Well, it seems like there might be a good game buried under there somwhere. Unfortunatly you have to deal with the crappy netcode, crappy matchmaking, grindy-as-fuck progression system and wierd annoying bugginess of everything else to get to it.

Even if they fixed the matchmaking (red: removed it and replaced it with server browsers) they'd still need to do something about team balance, and add in some thing where if the entire enemy team leaves then the game just ends.

It's a shame, because the game has some promise. I just don't think the infrastructure and pay-to-win progression system behind it all is going to let me enjoy any of it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 14, 2012, 12:43:18 pm »

That's a shame. I was looking forward to playing this.  :-\

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 14, 2012, 01:58:01 pm »

You know, after seeing all these "new-ish" companies make the same mistake over and over again with this kind of payment model, I'm starting to wonder if it's because of some external force and not the companies themselves.

In fact, I'm kinda willing to bet that all these guys are getting pressured by their private investors to meet their ROI within first year of operations. Hence the absurd payment models.

This is fairly standard in regular operations, where venture capitalists rightly demand big ROI numbers. After all, they're taking massive risks financing no-name companies in uncharted fields.

Though that might be too gracious to some companies of the sort.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 14, 2012, 02:04:54 pm »

Its the inherit flaw in the F2P model.  When you are F2P you pretty much have to put in obstacles to play so people can pay around them.  Also if the game is not doing well, they pretty much have to start finding more and more things to charge for or to manipulate people into buying.

This is one of the reasons I despise the F2P model.  I've only seen one game do it sort of right(DOTA 2), but I'd still be willing to bet it eventually starts putting in grind or P2W elements.  And if they don't its only because Valve has such ridiculous amounts of money that they don't really care if its not as profitable as it could be.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 14, 2012, 04:30:48 pm »

Dota 2 is inherently grinding. You grind the same game over and over again and you spend most of your time inside the game grinding. It's like Inception-grinding.

Yet why do I love it so much aaaaaaaah!

Yeah, I think only Dota 2 has it right so far. I've spent a good chunk of money on it so far but because I wanted to make myself look pretty, and with the Bastion announcer coming out they're going to extract more money from me again.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 21, 2012, 03:14:42 am »

TF2 and LOL don't count as doing F2P right?

How about Blacklight: Retribution?

DarkAnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 23, 2013, 12:42:36 pm »

promo code: 5000 cr
playhawken.com/paxeast2013
Why do my dwarves hate me?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 22, 2013, 01:12:43 pm »

Hmm.. what mech to choose..
I would like one which makes small fry turn around fast when they see me approach.
Which may be unlikely, since most people fire at anything. :p
I'll settle for one which has a lot of firepower most dakka.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:15:28 pm by Ultimuh »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16