Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wakfu - New F2P mmo (and not your standard grindfest)  (Read 6571 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Wakfu - New F2P mmo (and not your standard grindfest)
« on: March 10, 2011, 10:21:04 am »

Wakfu, i saw this when lurking across IGN and i have to say the title may sound stupid but the concepts in it sound very interesting!. Its a turn based (when in combat MMO) and the focus is on Politics and building up a town and still, think kinda like H&H and looks like a JRpg, im looking forward to this sounds like my sort of MMO with there being more to it then mindless grinding :P and is being produced or developed  by square enix ( not sure which)

IGN link: http://uk.pc.ign.com/objects/822/822882.html

Video Link: http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/03/08/wakfu-trailer?objectid=822882

Homepage: http://www.wakfu.com/en/mmorpg
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Wakfu - New F2P mmo (and not your standard grindfest)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 10:23:36 am »

Hrmhm. Animus.... :l

What's so special about this game, exactly?

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 10:37:51 am »

It has some non-standard things that make me a little curious, like ecology modeling and turn-based combat, but I'd have to see a Bay 12 opinion of it first.

And figure out what "free to play" means in this case -- is it free until a certain level, is it pay-to-win, how does the PvP system work (if there is one) and so on.

I'm always on the lookout for entertainment that doesn't cost me money, but I haven't found too many free MMOs that interest me for long.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 10:48:11 am »

Hrmhm. Animus.... :l

What's so special about this game, exactly?

What's so bad about animus ?

And well the whole world is player influenced and that's what strikes me most and what is making me sign up cause I'm bored and MMO's which are just about leveling and have no really goal, while in this you can think hmm yeah in the end I want to be the mayor of my own town.

I have not had time to do much research it was a rush  post :P but will post more up a out it when I get home and post up some features and other stuff.

Anyway it's free and in beta so why dont you lot sign up and give it a try :P

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 10:56:21 am »

I tried it a bit an-

OH JESUS THAT INTERFACE.

I know we are used to rather weird interfaces here, but they have so much stuff on the screen at once that it's hard to tell what's important or not. The terrain is detailed enough already to make the screen rather busy, so focusing on anything is a chore. I can't really say anything else about it as they have a lot of placeholder classes and stuff so combat can't really be judged too well. The tutorial is also rather obtuse about teaching you about the town/monster/ecology stuff, possibly because it was all meant to be direct french translations but more than likely because Beta.

It's hard to tell what the heck is goin' on here, but I like the show so let's see how it works out.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 11:09:07 am »

Here's the mmorpg page for it.
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/345

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 11:13:30 am »

Well this sure looks pretty unique, and I am sucker for that.
Thank you based dwarf.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:44:14 am »

OH JESUS THAT INTERFACE.

Coming from people playing Dwarf Fortress, I must admit to feeling somewhat discouraged.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 11:50:56 am »

I remember playing the first game which name cant recall... wakfu is sequal kinda to it.
Really liked the consept about fighting/pvp.
But i left the game after month cos it surely is made for kids and it offers really limited strategy :(

Oh yeah Dofus was the name.. it has Dofus arena too which is free i think.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 11:52:53 am »

Anyway it's free and in beta so why dont you lot sign up and give it a try :P
Cause it's in closed beta and open only from the 27th of April, apparently.

I don't care much for the Dofus-like combat (as far as I played, it was very simplistic turn-based), but the dynamic world feature does make it sound interesting. However, "As in Dofus, there will be a small area of the game available for unlimited free play. To unlock the rest, there will be a monthly subscription fee.", so ech.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 12:07:40 pm »

Played dofus, got to level 1XX, got bored. This game is sort of a direct sequel, and I got a closed beta account and stuff, but so far I think the spell system they have planed is interesting but I think its a placeholder since right now you can get all spells with little to no training. Its interesting and all but it has been in closed beta for, what, nearly 2 years?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 01:02:59 pm »

Also just been checking out the game a bit more and I like the idea that miners are vital to a nations economy, cause miners mine the metal which is needed to produce the games currency then the currency is minted by other players and they have to regulate how much currency then mint otherwise they will cause inflation in their nation

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 01:19:19 pm »

Also just been checking out the game a bit more and I like the idea that miners are vital to a nations economy, cause miners mine the metal which is needed to produce the games currency then the currency is minted by other players and they have to regulate how much currency then mint otherwise they will cause inflation in their nation

I assume the only practical limit on resources in the game is the rate of extraction i.e. no resource is scarce in the long run.  As such, currency is all but worthless, especially since every minter has an incentive to increase the money supply.  Even assuming the total value of coinage is fixed, my share of the pie increases as I mint more coins (subject, of course, to diminishing returns).  The only objects of true value, then, are raw materials, intermediate goods, and ultimately finished goods.

I suppose the same is true in other MMOs, where instead of printing money it materializes from thin air (read:  monster drops and NPC vendors with regenerating or unlimited funds).  Valuable durables in UO had obscene price tags (in my limited experience -- only played it for a year, but my siblings still play it occasionally so I've heard more than I've seen), to the point that the only practical way to trade was barter.

Hmm.  I'd love to see some well-developed-but-understandable-by-laymen papers on the economics of virtual worlds.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 01:21:18 pm by Earthquake Damage »

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 02:55:53 pm »

Closed beta? eeeh... I dont suppose there is a way to get in? Or is it going to be opened soon? Otherwise, I'll probably forget about it by the time I can join.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 02:56:47 pm »

I would totally check it out, but.. those graphics are an instant red flag for me. So many Korean mall grinds.
Pages: [1] 2 3