Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Dragon Age 2 Warning  (Read 16522 times)

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age 2 Warning
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2011, 05:29:25 pm »

Side note: 84 score for DA2 on PC on Metacritic currently, compared to a 3.5 user score. Apparently the critics think this is all great - hell, PC Gamer gave it a 94 ("The best RPG combat ever. Not gaming's best story, but maybe its best storytelling. Darker, sexier, better.").

Well now.. I've found this :
Best RPG I have EVER played, and I probably played every possible RPG ever made, honestly, every RPG fan MUST try this

Speechless yet? No? There's more.. But i'd rather not copy/paste it.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2011, 06:33:58 pm »

Was that like, a spam comment or something?

EA has done stuff like that before. Then there were the shenanigans with Tomb Raider reviews...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2011, 07:34:37 pm »

There is, but it's not that noticeable as in Oblivion.

Something new every day   :o

I always thought your characters didn't really get that better at all. Just more versatile with more skills and some minor gear and/or stat upgrades.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2011, 07:51:16 pm »

IGN - 85%
GameSpot - 80%

Two major publications give a major game from a major developer from a major publisher below 90%. That alone should tell you to stay away. If a major game is below 8.8 (which is the "watershed" for terrible scores, generally given to games they don't really like but have to give a decent score to), then there is something intrinsically flawed with it.

Trust me on this, guys.

EDIT: I think what pisses me off the most is that they stole the framing device (interrogation on past events) from Alpha Protocol, where it seems to be used much more effectively. Throughout pretty much the entire game, you interact with the primary antagonist and then do flashbacks to your actions. It all makes perfect sense etc etc. You even chat to him and tell him where to put it which then effects the ending. Bioware doesn't do anything original anymore.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:59:40 pm by Farseer »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2011, 08:15:56 pm »

Guys, guys, I've read this entire thread and I haven't seen anyone at all talk about how awesome the characters (as in dialogue, characterization, ETC.) are in this game. I am supremely disappointed in all of you.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2011, 08:21:39 pm »

Okay, I thought the part where you get Aveline to try and get a boyfriend to be supremely hilarious.

Also, any of Aveline x Isabella's conversations. "Mommy, what's a slattern?"

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2011, 09:19:30 pm »

The characters are alright, though really 1 dimensional.
The problem here is how bioware is defending the horribleness of the game.
If you criticize the game on the official forums, they will be able to ban you from playing any bioware game. Its pretty horrible.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I love how games are classified as "services" though, so its legal
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2011, 09:57:09 pm »

If it went to court it certainly wouldn't be legal. You pay money for something with the understanding that it is yours forever; EULAs do not override that.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2011, 10:24:59 pm »

<snip image and text>
Wow. Customer has complaint? Ban customer and prevent him from playing the games he paid for! Brilliant example of sinister corporate overreach.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2011, 12:08:28 am »

Unfortunately, I am not very surprised by all of this. Out of Bioware's last three games, I can only point to DA:O as an example of a traditional rpg. I couldn't even enjoy that game because I felt that the 'inspirations' behind that game verged on plagiarism sometimes. I would say that there is a definitive trend in Bioware games away from traditional-styled games such as Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Knights of the Old Republic. Mass Effect II and now Dragon Age II seem to have both cut down on customization compared to their predecessors. Both also had a fair bit of retcons, which is another thing I never like to see in sequels.

Bioware used to be one of my favorite rpg companies, but now it has gotten to the point where I am wary of all of the games that they put out, because they don't seem as concerned with rpg elements, continuity, or quality in general.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2011, 12:11:33 am »

If you criticize the game on the official forums, they will be able to ban you from playing any bioware game. Its pretty horrible.
I love how games are classified as "services" though, so its legal

No, actually that Bioware bit in the image means that any user can report a post from another user and that other user will not be able to play their games if just any mod decides to autoban a slew of reported posts without looking at them (or any other possible situation of a mod being lazy). Lovely system they have there.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:13:06 am by BigD145 »

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2011, 12:46:17 am »

Bioware used to be one of my favorite rpg companies, but now it has gotten to the point where I am wary of all of the games that they put out, because they don't seem as concerned with rpg elements, continuity, or quality in general.

Funny, they're still doing it better than most. As in, continuity in mass effect 2 was amazing.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2011, 02:11:09 am »

Funny, they're still doing it better than most. As in, continuity in mass effect 2 was amazing.

Considering all of the retcons in ME2 and DA2, I would not say that there was great continuity. In addition, what you did in ME 1 didn't have much of an effect in ME 2 except a few dialogue changes for the most part, you didn't get alternate questlines to my knowledge or anything sweeping, so I don't see where the great continuity is. So far most player reviews seem to be of the opinion that DA2 was worse then DA:O, so it's probably safe to say that quality has taken a hit. ME2 took out a lot of the customization elements rather then address the problems with them (such as the inventory and Mako) so IMHO there was a hit to quality there, no matter how much the combat aspects were improved.

http://kotaku.com/#!5780870/ever-wonder-why-dragon-age-ii-came-out-so-soon

According to the composer for DA2, it was a rush job.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2011, 02:47:00 am »

Ok.. now i've officialy seen everything.

What bothers me is not that EA does something like that, because this is something i've learned to expect from them, but when the hell did Bioware...

"It's in eula, points 9 and 11. End of line." (translation : "Die in a fire")  ::)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:56:13 am by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2011, 03:49:27 am »

Ah well..looks like I will be renting this for the xbox and not buying it after all

enchantment?...disenchantment!
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11