Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Dragon Age 2 Warning  (Read 16495 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age 2 Warning
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 03:14:23 pm »

Yes, as I said the combat is really great. A part of me which wanted some high-quality action is totally satisfied, however a complex RPG quest-loving part is not :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 03:14:48 pm »

This is so very, very Electronic Arts. Bluh

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 03:18:31 pm »

It's the console-market ruled world, that's what it is :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2011, 03:36:54 pm »

I would like to see how EA runs their dev teams, I have a feeling there is some very weird bureaucracy Q.A. aspect of it that has to meet some strange goals.

I imagine it involves whips, carts and a temple of doom. Also thanks for this, I was thinking of getting a Dragon age game, so now I'm probably going to go for the first game instead.
Blargh.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2011, 03:43:26 pm »

If you like 3rd person fighting games and jRPGs, then the second one is a solid choice.

If you are a fan of the Baldur's Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights, then you should definitely pick the first over the second.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2011, 03:58:17 pm »

The bright side, this game ran much much much more smoothly than Dragon Age Origins (I've finished it to 80% and quit because too much sluttering...)

The moral of the story: If you get in a "relationship" with Morrigan, expect sluttering. Wait, no, that can't be right. :P

I'm definitely disappointed they decided to go this way for DA2, and thus will be watching to see how Skyrim turns out instead of getting DA2. Side note: 84 score for DA2 on PC on Metacritic currently, compared to a 3.5 user score. Apparently the critics think this is all great - hell, PC Gamer gave it a 94 ("The best RPG combat ever. Not gaming's best story, but maybe its best storytelling. Darker, sexier, better.").
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2011, 03:59:16 pm »

Hello EA, so good to see you
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2011, 04:14:12 pm »

My meaningless opinion on the game. Possible spoilers

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 04:15:53 pm by debvon »

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2011, 04:34:51 pm »

One of the first "annoying" things I actually noticed was in the dialog and character interaction.  As the pic above shows, there are multiple options (usually) for interactions...I actually really like this system for conversations/dialog.  What I do not like though, is it's the exact same format as Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and as I've just seen via a google search, the same as "The Old republic".

But it really isn't even that, it was the wording that made me really lose respect for what I thought was a good company (Bioware).  The wording, as in "Investigate" is used in at least ME 2 and DA 2.

Now I understand if you've got a great mechanism you want to keep using it, but at least change your word options from genre (sci-fi) to genre (fantasy) for gods sake.  Hell, who knows what other games Bioware has released and or will release with that same option.  LAME!!!

BTW, play ME 2....MUCH better game.
Take care,

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2011, 04:48:08 pm »

Fucking EA. I got DAO with all the expansions (For the price of one game. Sweet ass deal.) the day before this came out locally. I'm glad my stop at the store was before this came out. Now I don't have to waste my cash.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2011, 04:55:48 pm »

I'm a bit sad to see these reviews, mostly because it seems like Bioware has a nasty habit with their franchises that the second game is far worse then the first one, at least in recent years. I used to blame this on Obsidian Entertainment, as they would do the follow up games, but since this one is straight from Bioware, I guess it's just a habit for them now.

Anyway, I played the original Dragon Age, and I thought it was a great game overall, even if I never got into the downloadble content. I'll be giving Dragon Age 2 a miss until it's a budget game then, since I don't like paying full price for a game that I can fully beat inside 20 hours.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2011, 05:09:31 pm »

Well, uh...

I guess I won't bother with Dragon Age 2, then. Thanks for warning me. I can only hope Bioware doesn't screw up Mass Effect 3.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2011, 05:22:29 pm »

I'm not actually disappointed.
I was never that fond of Dragon Age: Origins. I think it was the level scaling that did it for me... Sure it had a nice expansive storyline, but going out, adventuring, leveling up, getting stronger. Feels utterly pointless when everything levels to keep pace with you. A level 5 character will generally fare just as well as a level 20 character. There was the brief feeling of awesomeness at the end when you get kill hundreds of grunts... But again, only because they're scaled to be that way, it makes getting a sense of accomplishment very difficult for me, and I predicted that this game wouldn't do any better... I hate being right.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2011, 05:26:47 pm »

I think my biggest problem with DA2 is the simple fact that I don't feel connected to my character at all. This is the same as in Mass Effect where I'm not controlling my persona. I'm controlling Hawke. This wasn't too bad in Mass Effect simply because my Shepard has been the same Shepard the whole series. Not to mention the cast is a lot more entertaining... for the most part.

Dragon Age Origins had me spend over 100 hours with my persona. My self created character who did so many awesome things and saved the country and what not and made all these connections etc. Now they throw me into the shoes of someone I don't care about and can't relate with. I would like to relate with him, but the plot in DA2 is so short and sparse that I'm not given the opportunity. I felt like the whole thing was a sidequest from the main Warden plot where we merely temporarily follow the adventures of a future sidekick.

Also, my Dwarf Noble Warden could kick Hawke's ass.

Pnx: I am unaware there was any level scaling to speak of in DA:O. Pretty sure that was Oblivion. I should know, I cheated like mad and never noticed any scaling.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2011, 05:28:47 pm »

There is, but it's not that noticeable as in Oblivion.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11