Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Dragon Age 2 Warning  (Read 16489 times)

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Age 2 Warning
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 11:08:03 am »

I would like to see how EA runs their dev teams, I have a feeling there is some very weird bureaucracy Q.A. aspect of it that has to meet some strange goals.
Thank you based dwarf.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 11:11:53 am »

The thing I didn't like is that they've made a sequel in one year or so, that probably is the reason for it being short.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 11:15:22 am »

Not just that. Also there're some console storage limitations with instanced geometry, and they used pretty complex models and instances in this one, so they couldn't make the world too big without repeating the same assets. I am sure there's more stuff like that, they probably have a very detailed business plan.

But their main goal was to make graphics on consoles to be on par with PC graphics, and this limited the whole game.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 11:20:57 am »

But their main goal was to make graphics on consoles to be on par with PC graphics, and this limited the whole game.

Multi-platform releases are horrible (of note:  the UI tends to suck for PC).  I'd rather they pick console or PC and stick to it.  But "they" didn't ask me...

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 11:24:53 am »

Really sick of this industries idea of RPG.  Game looks great, plays/controls great, but is not fun nor an RPG.

Quest example (This goes for ANY "RPG" these days)

Blah Generic NPC #1 - I need a fish, will you get me one.
You - Ok.
Blah Generic NPC #1 - Go ask Blah Generic NPC #2 how to get one.
(run for 5 mins over to Blah Generic NPC #2)
Blah Generic NPC #2 - So you need a fish, I'll tell you how to get one if you first get me a basket.
You - Ok.
Blah Generic NPC #2 - You can ask Blah Generic NPC #3 where to get a basket.
(run for 5 mins over to Blah Generic NPC #3)
Blah Generic NPC #3 - A basket you say?  Get me a fresh apple and I'll tell you how to get a basket.
You  - Ok.
(REPEAT!!!!)

Plus with all the squad commands you need to do (or they will die and be utterly useless in battle) the game is more of an RTS.

And do we need so many freaking cuts scenes???  Seriously!  Are they making a movie or a game...maybe cut back on cut scenes and work more on game play, or quests, or story, or interface, or plot, or character development, or quests....yeah, I'm bitter about questing.

Sorry just my opinion...But again, the game looks great and does play/control great.

Take care,

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 11:30:44 am »

...they globally cut out side quests "and other unneeded content which confuses players"

Conclusion; All DA players suffers from ADD or they made an uninteresting plot because people got distracted.

Or like you guys already said, less time spent, less cost, more profits.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 11:31:50 am »

I'm about to rename all my dwarves to some EA workers, and unleash magma on them. The fort took me ages to construct.

That's how disappointed i am with DA2   >:(

It's a very smooth, polished and nice looking game. But neither long, nor an RPG. They could very well name it "Dragon Age 2 : Pay us for nothing, and hope for a better sequel"
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 11:34:42 am by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 11:35:58 am »

There's still a part of me that wants to play this game, but at the same time, DAO was really a continuation of the fantastic Neverwinter Nights formula. From reading what people have to say here, and what reviews I've read say about DA2, I don't think it lived up to that.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 11:37:42 am »

There's still a part of me that wants to play this game, but at the same time, DAO was really a continuation of the fantastic Neverwinter Nights formula. From reading what people have to say here, and what reviews I've read say about DA2, I don't think it lived up to that.

If you don't have it yet, wait till the price halves at least. Otherwise you're getting robbed.  ::)
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 11:37:53 am »

I think they delivered everything they promised. And trailers... Well, who believes trailers these days? And by interviews they told directly that they go away from the "boring" baldur's gate-style theme and move on into "hollywood action movie" area.

So, massive executive meddling, breaks no new ground or boundaries to avoid alienating or offending anyone, story being mindless hacked together dross and it going straight to DvD release?
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 11:39:07 am »

I completely agree with you.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 12:09:20 pm »

It's just a different game, the only thing which makes it similar to the DA 1 is the world it's happening in. I'd say it's a nice game, but wait for a few DLC. Apparently they plan to release at least a few, then you will get a complete story. DA2 right now is just the first part of the plot.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 12:21:50 pm »

It's just a different game, the only thing which makes it similar to the DA 1 is the world it's happening in. I'd say it's a nice game, but wait for a few DLC. Apparently they plan to release at least a few, then you will get a complete story. DA2 right now is just the first part of the plot.

So they charge you full game price, but in order to get the full game you have to pay extra for DLC.

I hate DLC.  I don't mind buying a full-sized expansion for expansion price ($15-25 or so IIRC, but that was in days of yore when Richard Garriott was still relevant), but the nickel-and-dime world of DLC is terrible.  Of note:  the travesty that is/was Oblivion's "horse armor for $5".

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 12:26:54 pm »

Nah, it's not oblivion "horse armor for $5". I played oblivion without the horse armor just fine. It was an addon.

Here they separate the plot into parts and sell as "chapters". They obviously think that they are really good to cost that much.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 02:06:01 pm »

I think Deon is right in that chapter-based DLC plot.  Sad as it may seem, I spent some 27 hours picking apart the game, and after spending some in-depth time looking into the storyline, I am most assured that DA2 won't just sit as it is.  Either they'll do an 'Awakening' type expansion that'll add a large part of gameplay to the setting, a bunch of quest packs that create a more complete picture of what is really going on.

After playing it, though, the graphics were fantastic and the gameplay was smooth, the battles lively and bloody sexy to just watch. lol.  I am disapointed, though, as the trailer showed some very cool powers and abilities, which you couldn't get in the game.  I wanted the demon arms, myself.  8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11