Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Favorite Housing Formulas  (Read 6307 times)

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
Favorite Housing Formulas
« on: March 09, 2011, 10:15:01 pm »

Okay, so what's your favorite way to build your housing district (pics encouraged)? I tend to exploit 4-way doors in order to create a sort of "vertebrae-like" design, with houses radiating off of a 3-Urist wide hallway. These are all engraved (I have over 20 grand bedrooms), with a statue, bed, cabinet, and chest.

Example:

SIDENOTE: The hole you see is my Pit 'o Doom connected to an 10z execution tower with the City Guard squad barracks at the top (I've already had at least 4 recruits dodge into this hole). The pit extends down 30z's into the second cavern layer for a total of 30z levels.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Housing Formulas
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:28:10 pm »

I usually do something similar to this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vertical housing is where it's at if you're trying to save space. Obviously this works just as well with larger rooms; I usually do 2x3, but this time I decided to go for 2x2 and make up for the lost space with higher quality goods. Probably going to toss a cabinet, floor hatch and a 10x steel serrated disk weapon trap in each room just to make everyone ecstatic. I also can never really decide what to do with the central floor; this time I made it my dining room, but in the past I've put my noble housing in there or even just used it as a giant stockpile. If you're really crazy about reducing travel distance you can go with even fewer rooms per floor and more floors; it'll start really eating into fortress space, though. 5 floors dedicated to housing is enough for me.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:29:54 pm by Khift »

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:29:34 pm »

My current housing looks like this, with four identical floors. It's actually kind of a tester for a design I plan to use in a cast-obsidian structure, but I think it looks pretty good in marble:

Very low travel distance, minimal room overlap, decent floorspace and most of them are either 'Grand' or 'Royal', depending on number of masterwork engravings and the occasional gem cluster.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 10:39:16 pm »

Hellmoob, I really feel like that empty space in the 4 central rooms can be properly abused by making pump stacks or death pits.

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 10:43:20 pm »

Hellmoob, I really feel like that empty space in the 4 central rooms can be properly abused by making pump stacks or death pits.

Hm, good idea. I could probably engineer a waterfall that passes through all the levels, but that wouldn't be very dwarven of me. Maybe a magmafall, with a colosseum on the bottom floor.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

kyle902

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 10:44:08 pm »

Magmafalls kill dwarf with lava mist.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:46:24 pm »

Lava mist happens when stuff caves in into lava, not when lava falls.  Falling lava makes heat, which drains fps by that, but is otherwise safe unless a dwarf paths under it.

Which I'm curious now, if you make a lava-fall, with a dorfbath on the other side, and make a dwarf pull a lever on the other side, will the dwarf burn, douse himself, go to the hospital, and train your doctor?  Could this be a good way of treating infection by making the doctors clean the dwarf every time?

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 10:49:19 pm »

Magmafalls kill dwarf with lava mist.

I wish they did; it'd be much faster than starving my dozens of legendary sock-elasticators.

Interesting idea with making them burn themselves, though. Certainly warrants some !!SCIENCE!!, but it's 4.a.m. here so those brave new frontiers of sadism will have to wait until tomorrow.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 10:52:46 pm »

I am a simple captain, standing aboard the prow of her phallic shaped vessel, cutting through the frigid ice on the edge of the Sadistic Frontier.  The monsters loom up before me, and it is my modest task to calmly snap a picture and expose these monstrosities to the world.

Would it be improper for me to sig myself?

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 12:21:05 am »

I am a simple captain, standing aboard the prow of her phallic shaped vessel, cutting through the frigid ice on the edge of the Sadistic Frontier.  The monsters loom up before me, and it is my modest task to calmly snap a picture and expose these monstrosities to the world.

Would it be improper for me to sig myself?

As far as I'm concerned, I say go for it. It's the kind of writing that looks sig-worthy, and it's your sig anyway.

For bedroom design, I just looked on the wiki until I saw a design that I liked. I'm using the decentralized living plan
, but I don't have the barracks set up at all, and the "dining room" is used more like a backup food stockpile. I think I mainly liked the easy way to modify the rooms for nobles' needs.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 01:31:34 am »

Code: [Select]
░░░░░░░░░
░..>░>..░
░...░...░
░░░░░░░░░
░..>░>..░
░...░...░
░░░░░░░░░

░░░...░░░
░░░X.X░░░
░░░...░░░
░░░...░░░
░░░X.X░░░
░░░...░░░
░░░...░░░

░░░░░░░░░
░..<░<..░
░...░...░
░░░░░░░░░
░..<░<..░
░...░...░
░░░░░░░░░

And I go from there.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 04:54:25 am »

My most common housing arrangement is 20+ beds on a cavern floor somewhere.  For variation, I have 20+ beds in a dug out large room if the caverns are too awkward or dangerous to inhabit.  When or if I get a mayor or other noble demanding 3 rooms and furniture, I usually dig out a big square in flux stone or on metal veins, smooth it, and fill it with the minimum amount of furniture to meet the demands.  If the room value isn't enough I'll keep adding statues until it is.

My dwarves are happy enough with masterwork roasts and huge piles of booze and a giant dining hall, they generally don't die or choke on dust or miasma, and whenever I design a bedroom complex it never looks as good as i hope, and/or it's a real PITA to put in the furniture and create rooms and assign everything.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 06:33:23 am »

I usually make 1x3 rooms with the "bed/cabinet/chest" combo, with a narrow corridor. Since i use a tileset and don't know jack about the DF ASCII language, let's do something like this:

|b|...|b|b|b|b|b|
o=o...o=o=o=o=o=o
|b|...|b|b|b|b|b|
|h|...|h|h|h|h|h|
|f|...|f|f|f|f|f|
odo...odododododo
odo...odododododo
o : corner; =,| : wall; b : bed; h : chest; f : cabinet; . : floor

I know, its an attrocity to dwarf nature, but hey, I started with tiles  :-\

ANYWAYS, this way i can fit about 100 dwarves on the first floor. If i put stairs on the end of the corridor and make 50 bedrooms on each floor, its the same without a lot of walking  :)

Btw, I'm at work right now, procrastinating. When I get home I'll post a pic.

Also, its 20 rooms per row (count the row as a narrow corridor).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 06:47:29 am by Urist McGyver »
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 07:24:58 am »

As I like a 3*3 central staircase in my forts I tend to use the lobbyless type on the right of this image from the wiki.

It's easily expandable as more rooms are needed & for higher quality rooms I can knock out the middle walls to make 3*5 rooms for nobles if/when required. All walls are smoothed but only engraved if higher room value is required.

I have used the High Density Single Floor Housing style in 40d forts but as I rarely have idle dwarves I find Windmill Villa style works fine in 0.31.x & wastes less space.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:26:42 am by Malibu Stacey »
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

xaldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 07:34:50 am »

I usually do something similar to this:

Vertical housing is where it's at if you're trying to save space. Obviously this works just as well with larger rooms; I usually do 2x3, but this time I decided to go for 2x2 and make up for the lost space with higher quality goods. Probably going to toss a cabinet, floor hatch and a 10x steel serrated disk weapon trap in each room just to make everyone ecstatic. I also can never really decide what to do with the central floor; this time I made it my dining room, but in the past I've put my noble housing in there or even just used it as a giant stockpile. If you're really crazy about reducing travel distance you can go with even fewer rooms per floor and more floors; it'll start really eating into fortress space, though. 5 floors dedicated to housing is enough for me.

I use a very similar design though I'm with a 3x3 room size base in 6x6 blocks so when I have the pop up at 300 max I need 8 full blocks which I do in a 4 tower arrangement (above or below ground). So I sandwich the hallway leading into the bedroom with a block above and blow.
Pages: [1] 2 3