Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Favorite Housing Formulas  (Read 6301 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Favorite Housing Formulas
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2011, 05:24:39 pm »

I tend to use blocks of four 3x3 rooms connected by 2-tile corridors, with staircases at each junction. Nobles get worked-out metal veins covered in engravings.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2011, 05:51:02 pm »

My most recent fort has... well, it's hard to explain...

An area big enough for 4x4, 5x5 rooms... if you get what I mean. The 4 in the corners hold stuff, the 2 inbetween on each side have stairs to the actual bedroom, with the entrance room being filled with tables and stuff, so each dwarf has 2 5x5 rooms stacked. Then the middle 4 5x5 areas are dug into one massive hole that goes down to the bottom of the fort. Windows from the rooms look out onto the massive chasms.

The roads are 5 wide, with 3x3 stairs at every intersection. Alternate z levels are road, open, etc... so each road corridor is 2 high with the top floor of the 'houses' looking out onto them. :D

It's not finished, and I'm going to make a new fort now I've got some idea of how it works, and perfect the design. I'll do some paint pixels of what I mean if it makes it clearer.

EDIT:
:D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wow!  I like yours.  :)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 12:57:31 pm »

You liked that? Well the next version is... improved...

Ignore the colours, they're mostly just furniture markers. Purple is stairs etc. I've abandoned the double floor houses, and I'm still designing the outer pillar ring, but here it is so far...

I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2011, 04:36:14 am »

I like both your designs. They might be used as inspiration in my next fort!

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2011, 07:47:38 am »

I've become a big fan of circular designs, even if I'm not especially great at making them super-efficient, layout wise.  That said, I am liking your triple-circle layout.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 08:00:01 am »

I'm working on the real thing. One floor is basically finished, but I've realised it'll take years to get enough masterpeice windows (though I now have a legendary +5 glassmaker) so one ring has windows, and the others are ignored, and the other floors are just being dug out. The levels above and below will follow the same design but without room partitions, for workshops. I'm planning to have a stockpile level, a trade depot and showcase level, then the farm and farm workshop levels, 8 or so housing levels, a dining level, a noble level, a royal level  8), and the workshops at the lowest level. It won't really matter because they'll still only be 20 or so tiles away. If Toady ever adds fatigue from walking up stairs, I'll be annoyed. XD Plus the workshops need to be the deepest, closer to magma. I've got about 40 z levels before the caverns, then another lot before cavern 2 etc... pumpstack time...
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 08:02:36 am »

Tryble, wow! I LOVE that layout.  How'd you manage it, quickfort or something?

I'd use it but it's a tad big for my purposes.  I use circles too, and usually extend them upwards into towers as well as downwards.  My last one was an experimental Tunneltube (also the name of the site).  It worked well, and was only 23 tiles across, or thereabouts.  I cheated a bit with some offshoot mining areas and a few trap corridors, but other than that 23 tiles and no outcroppings.  I could use the design in a nanofort, should I ever get the urge to be attacked over and over and over and over....
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 08:02:57 am »

... and over, and over, and OVER!!!
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 10:25:37 am »

Here's the top level of the 3circle/aperture thingy design.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2011, 11:13:31 am »

Each floor has 82 3x3 rooms, and is perfectly square.  Plus a lot of the walls in this particular example are Cinnabar, an ore of mercury.  Healthy living!
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2011, 12:45:51 pm »

You liked that? Well the next version is... improved...

Ignore the colours, they're mostly just furniture markers. Purple is stairs etc. I've abandoned the double floor houses, and I'm still designing the outer pillar ring, but here it is so far...

I liked the double-story houses and roads.  I did one fortress like that in 40d, but realized that until burrows were implemented those houses were impractical.  I'm still not sure they are practical because of the management required to implement that many burrows.  The burrow aspect is needed to control access to the family dining room.  I was implementing family-sized burrows when 31.x first came out, but because of the bug causing them to ignore sleeping assignment I dropped those.  It might be worth trying again now that Dwarves can remember where they live.   :P

I did do one circular fortress in 40d, or at least a fortress which was a series of circles linked edge to edge.  Each circle was 45 tiles across.  Passage between layers was via 3x3 up-down staircases in the centers of the towers.  The entrance tower was the only one that extended above-ground and went all the way to the top of the world.  As you remember, that was only 15 levels at that time.  The tower was brought to a point at the top with a conical roof.  The roof was a pain to build.  Looking at the save (in 40d since 31.x won't load it) I see that I never completed the walls of that tower.  The other circles were entirely below ground.  One was just a single level with a tree farm.  The residential tower was divided into quarters with five-tile-wide corridors separating them.  Each quarter belonged to a clan, which was defined as a founder or migrant married couple and all of their descendants.  Coffins lined either side of the residential corridors so that each clan member could have a one-tile tomb.  The circle meant to access the lava tube was never completed, but there was access to an underground lake for water supply.  I had dropped the main shaft all the way to the bottom, which was at -19.  Gosh, worlds were so shallow then, weren't they?   :D

I think I am getting an idea by combination of your designs and mine.   :)

There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.
Pages: 1 2 [3]