Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: Silverfires (.25 succession fort. Sign up for rulership or dorfing)  (Read 13545 times)

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Silverfires (.21 succession fort. Sign up for rulership or dorfing)
« Reply #195 on: April 13, 2011, 05:00:28 am »

Well I downloaded the file and re-read the last several pages of the topic to get the general idea. However I'm in the office at the moment and still have work to do, so actually loading the save will have to wait until lunchbreak. :-)

UPDATE: Holy crap what's wrong with the charset?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 06:11:45 am by Lav »
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 13, 2011, 07:24:53 am »

(contents removed as it was the wrong save)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:13:46 am by Lav »
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 13, 2011, 08:10:10 am »

Erm...

Actually it seems that Vandersleld somehow uploaded the wrong save. There is no pumpstack, no power generation facilities, only three levers where his screenshot shows five...

Vandersleld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 13, 2011, 05:48:20 pm »

I have to run out for about an hour; I'll attempt to remedy this problem when I return.

Vandersleld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Silverfires (.25 succession fort. Sign up for rulership or dorfing)
« Reply #200 on: April 13, 2011, 11:36:25 pm »

Ok, I downloaded the fixed save and this one seems genuine.

I also found the problems with the tileset - the game was apparently started with Phoebus graphic pack which mods game files and many tile associations, which utterly breaks game compatibility with the rest of tilesets. Once I identified the problem, I downloaded Phoebus tileset from the repository, changed the settings in the init.txt and at least now I can tell a wall from a floor... 60% of the time, at least.

And yeah, the pumpstack has more holes and leaks than my grandfather's socks. :-)

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 14, 2011, 12:27:36 am »

Some first impressions.

Pump stack and the entire magma device deserve a special post, so skipped for now.

Food situation is much better than in the first save I downloaded, no big worries there.

Floor of the glass/smithing area has lots of nice access holes for magma fauna to climb through into the fort. Device for filling the tunnels with magma will inevitably magmaflood the entire area if left unobserved in working condition for just a second.

Animals screen reveals a f###ton of cavies and rabbits. Who the hell needs rabbits and cavies? We also have lots of nice useful birds, but all those birds are crammed into a single pasture, with only two nests on the other side of the road. What if our precious poultry gets squashed under the wheels of some caravan? What? Caravans don't have wagons these days? Perhaps, but you cannot be too careful.

There are plenty of places where a stray megabeast can sneak into the fortress.

Wall over fortress entrance is perfectly accessible for enemy, who can position his archers and crossbowmen there, effectively denying us any access to our own courtyard.

The stockpiles are a mess, with multiple stockpiles in entirely different parts of the fortress accepting items of the same type, like the stockpiles on the top floor which accept metal bars and sand bags even though these are actually needed ~70 z-levels below.

I'm seriously thinking about dwarfcarnating into the Count. He doubles as the mayor anyway. And then some dwarves are going to pay for their crimes against the nobility!

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 14, 2011, 01:09:14 am »

already i shudder in fear
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 14, 2011, 05:20:27 am »

Floor of the glass/smithing area has lots of nice access holes for magma fauna to climb through into the fort. Device for filling the tunnels with magma will inevitably magmaflood the entire area if left unobserved in working condition for just a second.

Damn it, guys! I fixed those during my turn! Who's the smart guy who likes fire imps for their fireballs?

Wall over fortress entrance is perfectly accessible for enemy, who can position his archers and crossbowmen there, effectively denying us any access to our own courtyard.

Haven't thought of that, but they aren't likely to do that, instead pathing over to the entrance.

The stockpiles are a mess, with multiple stockpiles in entirely different parts of the fortress accepting items of the same type, like the stockpiles on the top floor which accept metal bars and sand bags even though these are actually needed ~70 z-levels below.

Word.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 14, 2011, 08:04:06 am »

Diary of the Count Lav Kekathcatten. Year 132, Obsidian the 1st. Winter.

For the long time I have been watching as various overseers tried to rule my fortress. But I'm fed up with their sheer incompetence. They couldn't even produce bugbat leather items when I mandated them a year ago! So it is high time to take matters into my own noble hands.

And the first step is, of course, organization. I need to get myself familiar with my loyal subjects. But there are too many of them, hence some grouping is in order:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Babies and children are of no particular importance. Except my precious ones, of course, but they are entirely different story. The rest can be safely split into three major groups.

First, the former overseers, who have some authority among the populace (nothing compared to mine, of course), and so can be dangerous to my power and prestige. These should be kept in check.

Second, the mysterious dwarfcarnates, who for some unfathomable reason have the freedom to choose their own jobs and ignore my lordly will in this respect. Otherwise, they are of little importance.

Finally, the rest of the useless scumbags.

This is all very rough, of course, but should be enough as the first step.

Update #1. Same day.

What. The. Shit.

Not only previous overseers failed to produce anything from bugbat leather, they also managed to draft the only dwarf in the fortress who is reasonably skilled in leatherworking, that is Bim Reguvar! So even if we manage to obtain the precious bugbat leather, the only one who can make something from it is the miner Nish Idenber, who claims to have some skill (apparently, he once fixed a hole in his trowsers). That won't do. I need a skilled leatherworker, this means the Fortress needs one as well. We can get cannon fodder aplenty without sacrificing the most critical link in our production chain.

Update #2. Same day.

What. The. Shit. Again.

The one who made me pump water and my wife to cut trees out in the wilderness is going to pay. Dearly.

Update #3. Same day.

Finally I managed to craft the list of all the dwarves in the fortress, split according to their natural talents and abilities. Total population of the fortress amounts to:

A. 5 member of the nobility (myself, my wife and three children).
B. Amost Ablelzaneg, who had been extremely helpful in drafting this list (actually he did all the writing and reference checking work, but under my supervision, so that doesn't matter) and who had been promoted to the rank of Count Advisor for his efforts.
C. 14 dwarves and children who had the infinite wisdom of getting on my good side.
D. 76 scumbags of questionable loyalty.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As can be clearly seen, I have already made some changes in the structure of our army. The first and most important act was, of course, to relieve CinnabarMan from the position of militia commander. He will be my Captain of the Guard once the prison is completed. I really need a Hammerer, but until I get one from the Mountainhome, we'll have to deliver Dwarven Justice with a crossbow.

As for the army, I have promoted my wife to the position of militia commander. Too important a position to be delegated to someone I don't trust, and unfortunately I don't have any close friends among the military. I have also promoted two dwarves to colonels (they don't know what the rank means but they were happy to hear they now can boss others around). It is important to have two colonels instead of one - each gets his own squad so they will compete and be jealous to each other's successes, thus ensuring the supremacy of my rule over them. Divide and conquer - what a wise strategy.

Then there's the healthcare. Can I really trust my life and the lives of my friends and relatives to that Agatharchides? He's one of the dwarfcarnates, which means I cannot exert real control over him. Better replace him with Kubuk Sazirritas under the pretext that he's a more skilled diagnostician than Agatharcides. Some soft words about the benefit of the entire fortress and the preciousness of every dwarf's life should be enough to justify the decision.

That's it! Finally, no suspicious persons in the positions of power. What a relief...

Update. Same day.

I have formed three squads for now. Two squads are led by colonels, each squad also has two officers - axedwarf and hammerdwarf. Third squad is for rookies and is led by our macedwarf officer who happens to be the best teacher around here. He has been assigned three recruits of varying skill. CinnabarMan hasn't yet been promoted to the Guard as the prison is not ready (in fact I haven't even touched the pause button yet, still planning and organizing things).

This is all for now, further updates will be in subsequent posts.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:47:46 am by Lav »

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 14, 2011, 10:00:30 am »

Babies and children are of no particular importance.

Mwahahaha!

1st Obsidian 132.
I have started this journal so that I don't forget things, and because it kind of feels right to do it. It's like I have done this before, but I that's not possible. Mommy and daddy think I'm very bright! I learned to read and write lately. My name is AbuDhabi Thocitzaneg. That's not my real name. I took it from a dwarf who died in the siege. I like the name. It feels right. I must go now. It's past my bedtime.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 14, 2011, 11:02:39 am »

My name is AbuDhabi Thocitzaneg.
Apparently you mean Thikut Thocitzaneg, the Underage Brat. Candid and sincere in dealing with others, not easily moved to pity, slow to trust others and doesn't often experience strong cravings or urges. Should I rename him for you? :-)

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 14, 2011, 11:10:45 am »

Yes! I have made the request before, but it seems to have been lost in the commotion.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 14, 2011, 11:32:35 am »

Done that.

Ok, I'm almost finished with jobs distribution. Funny how I can never properly employ more than 50 or so dwarves in my own forts, and now I have almost a hundred and yet expect a certain deficit of haulers, even though the game is the same. :-)

Whoever inherits this fort after me will probably get it with custom profession names set for every dwarf - unless I remember to clear those before submitting my turn. :-)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:43:54 am by Lav »

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 14, 2011, 01:35:14 pm »

1 Obsidian 132
We now have the count running our fortress. That dwarf has some issues that I will not expand in detail now. This is strange to say, but I actually miss our "county"'s formative years, when it was just 7 exiles gathered around a wagon.

I think tonight I will teach my son more about the doings of the Great Queen. Why can't we have a monarch like her now, instead of that bastard king Tanglerims?
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17