Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

Author Topic: Silverfires (.25 succession fort. Sign up for rulership or dorfing)  (Read 13541 times)

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Silverfires (.21 succession fort. Sign up for rulership or dorfing)
« Reply #180 on: April 10, 2011, 04:05:38 am »

Opal is midwinter, guys. It's still 131.

Vandersleld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 10, 2011, 10:15:01 am »

It's spring now. Expect an update soon! Would have done it yesterday, but I was a tad busy.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 10, 2011, 11:42:32 am »

But midwinter is when the year changes in real life. Is it different in the dwarf fortress?
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 10, 2011, 01:38:30 pm »

But midwinter is when the year changes in real life. Is it different in the dwarf fortress?

Granite 1st is the dwarven New Year. (Spring, I think.)

metime00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 10, 2011, 01:44:43 pm »

Oh. I fixed that in my post then
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Vandersleld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 10, 2011, 02:52:42 pm »

18th Obsidian
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
ANOTHER siege? The first ones haven’t even left yet! No matter; there is no reason to go outside. We are entirely self-sufficient in here. These goblins seem content to camp at the boundaries of our territory.

25th Obsidian
Alas! Our beloved JohnnyDigs has perished! He somehow found his way into the caverns, which unbeknownst to anyone contained a foul beast of the deep! The legendary miner got in a few good swings with his pick before he was overwhelmed and crushed. The monster charged into the fortress through whichever hole JohnnyDigs had created, killing a weaver and moderately injuring a few dwarves before being cut in half by a recruit named Dishman, or somesuch.
The loss of such a skilled member of our community is a serious setback. The populace seems contented; however, I must ensure that no one is pushed over the edge by stress.

26th Obsidian
Dishman decided to name the adamantine axe with which he slew the foul beast. A worthy act.

4th Granite
Our baron, in his infinite wisdom, imposed a ban on the export of doors. That’s all well and good, except for that no traders are able to approach the fortress due to the goblins, trolls, and humans camping outside. I do not know whether to deride or applaud the baron’s actions.
The mayor, on the other hand, in a burst of actual wisdom, ordered the construction of additional crossbows for our military. Always good to have a few extra on hand, lest the going get rough.

9th Granite
ANOTHER BEAST?!? Rushing in from the supposedly monster-free cavern, this one was unable to do any serious damage before an apprentice glassmaker punched its skull into its brain. After all this is over, I’ll see to it that he gets a monument placard somewhere.

10th Granite
SERIOUSLY? ANOTHER ONE? This foul beast surprised and slew our novice recruit before the Hammerdwarf smote it into oblivion. I have ordered the caverns to be sealed!

3rd Slate
An additional foul beast has arrived in the caverns! Luckily, it has been isolated from the settlement by a set of hastily-constructed walls. At last we can relax our guard.

16th Slate
I encountered a strange standing order, likely from a previous overseer, which forbid the burial of slain dwarves. Perhaps this is some obsolete holdover from a quarantine or siege? Whatever its origin, I have put a stop to it. Just in time, too; JohnnyDigs was starting to smell.

17th Slate
The HYPER UBERPUMP 3000 progresses excellently. With most of the future pump space dug out and a quarter of the pumps constructed and linked together, it would take 1000 Urists to start, and will require five times as much when completed! Truly it is to be one of the great works of our race. I am currently devising the best way to distribute magma down the slope of the ridge so as to burninate the greatest number of foes.

27th Slate
One of the masons has evidently had a burst of inspiration. He’s holed up in a workshop with a pile of rocks, and currently seems to be stacking them in various interesting combinations.

5th Felsite
The moody mason finally emerged from his shop, holding high a mica armor stand. It didn’t look all that fancy, but I suppose that we can stick it in the baron’s quarters. At least it wasn’t a mug.

15th Felsite
It seems that the goblins have sent for reinforcements! Another vile mob of greenskins has appeared on the horizon. We remain safe behind our gates. Maybe they’ll get bored and go back to their tower; there is nothing for them here.

10th Hematite
The last month has been productive and pleasantly uneventful. The whole fortress is hard at work in the forges, turning out dozens of glass tubes and corkscrews. We finished excavating both levels of the future power station, and have begun assembling the pumps and waterwheels that will power the UBERPUMP. Our current wood stocks are insufficient to complete the project; I sent a few woodcutters into the beast-free cavern to cut down some tower caps.

The upper pump level:
Future water channels:

Both the baron and the mayor are requesting the manufacture of bugbat leater items. I have never seen a bugbat in my life, and did not know that it was the sort of creature that would produce leather. As we have more important things to do than to seek out bugbats, kill them, and tan their hides, I shall ignore these mandates for the time being.

A few babies have been born, including one to the Baron. The child will no doubt be groomed to become a suitable heir to the fortress and surrounding lands. Let us hope that he does not grow to love bugbats…

15th Hematite
A lone troll entered the fortress from one of the caverns. He only succeeded in frightening a few haulers and killing a kitten before our meager militia crushed his skull. Work continues on the power station; I embarrassed myself when I constructed a wall blocking my only route of exit from one of the pump sections! I quickly tore it down and rebuilt it, hopefully before anyone noticed my blunder.

9th Galena
Since everyone has been hard at work in the tunnels and caverns, we failed to notice that the aqueduct had been slowly draining, having thawed in early spring. Today the water level became low enough that a few filthy goblin attackers attempted to sneak into the fortress!

Onoz!

Magentawolf bravely held them off while the militia hurried to close the gap, but he was tragically overwhelmed and slain. Our farming area is inaccessible behind the locked doors; I have ordered that a wall be constructed to hold back the invaders. Our food stores are large enough to hold for years, so we are in no danger of starving.
Why is it that our most skilled dwarves always put themselves at the forefront of danger? They should remain safe in the depths of the fortress!

To be continued…

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 10, 2011, 04:14:31 pm »

16th Slate
I encountered a strange standing order, likely from a previous overseer, which forbid the burial of slain dwarves. Perhaps this is some obsolete holdover from a quarantine or siege? Whatever its origin, I have put a stop to it. Just in time, too; JohnnyDigs was starting to smell.

That's mine. I always set it so to prevent:

metime00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 10, 2011, 04:41:37 pm »

I accidentally unforbidded a dwarf and a woodcrafter went and retrieved his clothes during the big battle and was luckily unharmed :D

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 12, 2011, 02:12:17 pm »

Goblins, in my aquaduct?

I'd better have taken at least one of them with me...

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 12, 2011, 04:04:40 pm »

could you dorf me.

i like to be 1 of the children,
and wen i grow up i would like to be a soldier

edit: i would like to know who my parents are
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 04:13:08 pm by melkor »
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 12, 2011, 05:22:55 pm »

Goblins, in my aquaduct?

It's more likely than you think!

Vandersleld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 12, 2011, 11:01:18 pm »

16th Galena
The humans have arrived, this time with fewer weapons! Perhaps they wish to parlay? Of course, it could be a trap…

21st  Galena
A fleeing troll from the last siege evidently killed one of the human merchants, shaking them enough that they’ve turned around and left! Their diplomat made it into the fortress. Hopefully he’ll have something of substance to say.

(decisions, decisions...)

Peace has been made with the humans! About time, too.

27th Galena
I discovered something odd in the depths of the fortress. A small alcove, containing a set of wooden spears connected to a mechanism, with a placard declaring it to be a shrine to “Khorne”. I do not know who this Khorne is, or why he’d want a shrine, but it seems to have something to do with military training. I told the soldiers to take a look at it and see if anything could be done with it.

1st Limestone

The absence of goblins has allowed us to retrieve and bury the corpses of our dead beyond the walls. Accordingly, many of the ghouls drifting about our halls have settled down, having been put to rest by the safe return of their bodies. Hopefully a more cheerful atmosphere will return to the fortress; it was getting awfully gloomy in here.

5th

Yet another craftsdwarf had been possessed by the fey winds of creativity! Hopefully she’ll be able to find what she needs…

17th Limestone
http://i.imgur.com/e3cG3.jpg
While chasing down crundles in the lower cavern, one of the soldiers spotted a large vein of precious adamantine, extending right up through the cavern floor! I have ordered the miners to start chipping away at the pillar of ore, so that we may reinforce our armory with new stock.

7th Sandstone
The Lt. recruit killed a crundle by whacking it in the head with his shield. There was some debate as to whether we should attribute the kill to his axe or shield in the official records; I wasn’t there for the final resolution.

10th Sandstone
Additional dwarves have come from afar to join our community!

13th Sandstone
Rushmik spawned yet another dwarfling today. Hooray.

23rd Sandstone
Since none of the newest wave of migrants had particularly useful skills, I sent them to train at the shrine in order to supplement our tiny militia. It seems to have done wonders for our soldiers; they’ve seemed changed lately, almost as if surrounded by a vibrant glow…

That moody craftsdwarf, unable to find whatever esoteric item she needed, slipped into depression. No one particularly knew her, so her loss shouldn’t affect the rest of the fortress too much.

1st Moonstone
Our liaison from the mountainhomes stopped by today. He hinted at being assigned to promote our duchy… he wasn’t particularly clear.

Meanwhile, I traded our massive heaps of stonecrafts for virtually everything of value that the traders were carrying.

5th Moonstone
The depressed craftsdwarf finally died, of dehydration, it seems. Alas.

7th Moonstone

Huzzah! We have been made a county! I am not sure what significance this holds for our outpost; however, the new count has requested additional furnishings in his quarters.

1st Opal
We have begun the process of filling the power generator. The baroness consort had the honors of pumping the water in from the cavern lake, but the flow halted almost as soon as it had begun. Peering over the edge into the murky depths, I saw that a tunnel tube had instantaneously sprung from the mud upon exposure to air. We couldn’t get down there to cut it out, so we simply moved the pump and dug some additional drainage trenches. Filling will likely take a long while.

5th Opal

A horrendous…thing…has arrived in the caverns! Since it has access to the fortress’s interior, I have ordered the newly-trained militia to confront it.

8th Opal
Through great valor and strength, the soldiers have slain the beast!

9th Opal

The beast seems to have released some sort of poisonous vapor into the fortress; one of the militia became paralyzed, and suffocated to death, while another has reported to the hospital complaining of numbness! Hopefully this was an isolated incident.

20th Opal
I have done all that I can with the fortress; it is time to turn over command to the next in line. Much work remains on the UBERPUMP; I shall leave instructions as to the tasks needed for its completion. Hopefully my actions have set the fortress on a path for the better, permitting us to witness many years of prosperity in the future!
I now retire to my humble ridgetop apartment, from which I shall eagerly await the UBERPUMP 3000’s activation.

[The complicated bits of the UBERPUMP are basically done. The power generator seems to be working (although it put the framerate down to 8 FPS at one point, and I can't shut it off), and the first level of pumps is assembled. The next overseer will need to continue the pumpstack (it's about halfway done), link the (theoretically) magma-safe bridge at the bottom to Lever 5 using magma-safe mechanisms, finish putting in doors along the stairwell, channel out the chamber at the bottom so it connects to the magma sea, and dig out the rest of the tubes at the top of the ridge.
To activate once it's assembled, consult this diagram:

Make sure that levers 1, 2, and 3 are pulled; this links the different portions of the generator together, while still allowing it to be restarted with minimal effort. To turn it off after it's linked, pull the levers again, so that the pump forces the generator to a halt, then reconnect everything. When running, each water wheel should show this when [Q]'d:

As you can see, it's very power intensive.
Lever 4 puts power to the stack, and lever 5 will trigger the feed bridge at the base. To avoid leakage, shut the bridge before you turn off the stack.
Also, please close the main gate before the next goblin siege. Or throw our godly military at them; we'll probably win.
Cheers!
Vandersleld]

...and the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4208
Hopefully it works.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:09:43 pm by Vandersleld »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 12, 2011, 11:16:51 pm »

I didn't even know it was possible to cause war in Fortress Mode, much less end it. I thought that sort of stuff happened in worldgen only!
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 13, 2011, 02:16:46 am »

Ok, finally time to see what this fortress looks like. :-)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 13, 2011, 04:50:07 am »

Ok, finally time to see what this fortress looks like. :-)

It's a mess.  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17