Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: Silverfires (.25 succession fort. Sign up for rulership or dorfing)  (Read 13557 times)

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Silverfires (.21 succession fort. Sign up for rulership or dorfing)
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2011, 02:35:42 pm »

14th Granite 13#
Blood.

What year is it, anyway? I seem to have lost track of time.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2011, 04:48:25 pm »

It's year 131, springtime.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2011, 04:50:42 pm »

1st Granite
Party like it's 131! Oh wait, it is. Anyway, this new motime33 chappie says he's the first farmer-ruler. Not cool. Does anyone here remember about 2 or 3 years ago, when some silly old farmer guy found ADAMANTINE? Guess not.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2011, 08:52:38 pm »

25 Granite 131

Today, I outlined the structure of the arch to the current Overseer. It is basically a hollow structure linked to the tunnels below. The golden face will face outwards from the fortress entrance.

The first five levels will be the supporting pillars:

OOO...OOO
OXO...OXO
OOO...OOO

Levels six and seven:
OOOOOOOOO
OX+++++XO
OOOOOOOOO

And finally, level eight:
+++++++++
+¢+++++¢+
+++++++++

Simple really.
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

metime00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2011, 08:53:54 pm »

So the top has downward stairs and one of the three longways sections will be gold?
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 06, 2011, 09:18:48 pm »

Yep.

Still thinking of a name for it. So far I have The Arch of Regents, The Silverfires Portal, or Lokum's Arch (after the Great Queen).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:26:52 am by aussieevil »

metime00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2011, 09:28:10 am »

25th Granite, 131: The plans for the arch have been finalized, and thus begins construction. It will be made out of granite, the sturdiest of stones, and built right outside the inner gate. There are no granite blocks, however, and so the masons have been told to start making blocks from whatever stone they can find. I have ordered more mason workshops to be created to speed up the carving of blocks.

27th Granite: The masons are still smoothing the main staircase, and they work at a snail's pace. It looks like we will have to wait on them to complete the arch, as I refuse to compromise the beautiful staircase for this new project. One thing after another.

2nd Slate: The memorials created last month are being placed outside the fortress. May the dwarves' spirits rest in peace, and may they forever thank metime00 Datanasob for their safe passage.

4th Slate: The masons have carved, as of today, 50 granite blocks, nearly half of the required amount of 114. The inner stair construction will begin soon and then the arch construction proper.

12th Slate: Construction of the base and tunnels leading into the arch have begun. The gold section of the first layer is complete. The arch will rival the aqueduct in magnificence, and I am lucky to oversee its construction.
Spoiler: Arch Base (click to show/hide)

metime00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2011, 12:34:17 pm »

16th Slate, 131: I think that my journal will be filled with reports of arch construction going as planned. That being said, arch construction is going as planned. The arch has yet to be named by aussieevil however.

23rd Slate: A wax worker, Fikod Ragworld, has withdrawn from society. She threatens to disrupt the construction of the arch.

She has claimed a craftsdwarf workshop, yet seems content. The previous overseers must have stocked Silverfires well.

1st Felsite: Fikod works diligently on her project, having everything she needs close at hand. The work on the arch continues at its relatively slow pace.

5th Felsite: The lass has completed her work, Degostar! It's another granite earring. Worth 42000 DwarfBucks, it is a fine piece.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

11th Felsite: Continued construction and an elven caravan. I'm unsure if they have anything we want, so I'll ignore them. There's an arch to build after all.

13th Felsite: Snatcher! Protect the children! Oh, it's caged up... Perhaps when the arch is complete I can release it on the top for another dwarf to duel. It would be suitably epic.

I'm accepting applications for the opportunity now...

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 07, 2011, 01:28:20 pm »

13th Felsite 131
The Overseer is looking for volunteers for a duel with a goblin. I'm game. Definitely willing to find out just how many limbs the goblin is capable of losing before becoming useless. And dead.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 07, 2011, 02:36:06 pm »

17th Felsite: The soldiers training outside the main gate caught a goblin ambush trying to sneak in, and butchered the lot of them before I was even notified. Good soldiers, they are. 5 goblins dead in seconds. It's a wonder they keep coming back.

18th Felsite: I wonder if our military is strong enough to take on the elves or humans. This isn't something to be decided lightly.

20th Felsite: A builder on the arch reported seeing a goblin straggler, so I sent AbuDhabi out to take care of him. The goblin was felled in three strokes. A smack to the upper body with the axe pommel followed by cleaving his leg in two and finally cutting his head clean in two. He got the duel he was wanting, but is still scheduled to fight the two goblin snatchers at the top of the arch.

3rd Hematite: The two pillars of the arch are almost complete. Soon the arch will be complete, very soon.

9th Hematite: Construction has begun on the connecting floors of the arch! All this in a couple of months, for the dwarves of Silverfires truly are the greatest in the world!

14th Hematite: I have visited the construction site and see strange blood smears and vomit all over the place. I've asked everyone and they insist they have no idea where it came from. I must keep an eye on these dwarves.

3rd Malachite: After much anticipation, the arch is complete. I will leave it up to the official arch comittee to name the thing.

7th Malachite: The two goblin cages are being set up at the top of the arch. I have asked AbuDhabi if he still wishes to duel them in such a precarious position and await his answer.

22nd Malachite: The goblins await their challenger.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:46:06 pm by metime00 »

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 07, 2011, 03:00:50 pm »

22nd Malachite 131
I have confirmed my willingness to duel these unworthy wretches on top of the arch.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 07, 2011, 04:40:36 pm »

25th Malachite, 131: AbuDhabi is poised for combat, a dwarf rushes up to let loose the goblins. Let battle be joined!

26th Malachite: Some migrants have arrived, among them an expert engraver and a talented grower. The other three are assigned to hauling duty. Also, the lever pulling dwarf seems to be taking a while.

Finally, a dwarf came up and pulled the damn lever. AbuDhabi butchered the goblins and sent limbs flying off the arch in great arcs. It was a sight to behold! We will forge two rose gold statues to place atop our new landmark.

1st Galena: The baron has lifted his export ban to celebrate the new arch. It marks the new age of prosperity in Silverfires, where conflict and danger step aside for happiness and wealthy living.

5th Galena: The 2 exceptional rose gold statues depict the deity of fortresses engraving and the creation of Silverfires in 126, truly fitting statues to mount our new monument. The deity of fortresses is no doubt carving Silverfires into history to stand forever.

9th Galena: I expect there will be few notable journal entries for come time, as the buzz of the arch-building settles into the lull of a rich fortress. Except for these damned ghosts! More slabs are to be made, engraved, and shoved in the ground outside.

11th Galena: I spoke too soon, as one of the newer dwarves decided to run off in his secretive mood.

I REALLY spoke too soon! The humans are across the river, laying siege to Silverfires! They will smash upon our fortress like a tidal wave, and we will destroy them for it. That is, unless they are caged like wild animals first...

oh man, guys. Get your dwarf-journaling gear out cause this battle is gonna get really interesting... tragic
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:34:48 pm by metime00 »

metime00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2011, 06:08:43 pm »

The Journal of Metime00 Datanasob

12th Galena: I am sprinting around the fortress, mustering the troops, warning the civilians, and I notice our secretive newcomer has claimed one of the charcoal forges. Perhaps he will create armor to protect us from the attack.

We wait for the military to destroy the invaders.

13th Galena: I have ordered the army to station on the other side of the bridge, and I sent the crossbowdwarves to harass the human army.

14th Galena: The trees provide the 10 human pikemen and the giant war leopard riding swordsman with cover from the crossbow bolts, and there have not been any casualties. Although our insults may have shattered their pride.

15th Galena: To hell with these sieges! May a forgotten beast attack the goblin dark fortress that persists in its attacks against us! 9 goblin animal riders attack from the northeast. We have barely any troops to spare!

I must take a gamble and send the main squad and AbuDhabi to attack the goblins, and hopefully the archers and undermanned recruit squad can hold the humans off long enough for our main forces to return. Surely the real metime00 could have done no better.

And alas, Kib Kubukastel one of our recent migrants, I think, has been murdered by the goblin horde on his hunting run. If only I had thought to warn the hunters of the goblin attack.

16th Galena: Another wave of goblins attacks from the north! My confidence of a no military casualty battle is falling, but if we remember our unnamed arch and what it stands for, we can defeat these goblins. Outnumbered 2:1, the dwarves charge.

Damn! I missed yet another 16 marksgoblins riding mounts and 9 trolls coming from the south, and for my negligence a marksdwarf has been beaten to death! The squad captains call for a retreat to the front gate! I sound the alarm and the civilians rush to the indoors, huddling in fear.

I must admit that I too fear for Silverfires. It seems like only yesterday that everyone was celebrating our monument...

As the soldiers pour into the inner walls I hear murmurs and cries that a giant olm dragged its goblin, a hammerdwarf, and AbuDhabi into a pond and is drowning all three of them!

The armorer has begun construction of his armor, but it is too late. His wife pleads with him to hide but he ignores her, and continues to hammer his adamantine wafer in futility.

17th Galena, 131, Late Summer: AbuDhabi was reported dead. Fighting off four goblins while drowning in a pond, he was overwhelmed and killed. His blood stains the water and his mangled corpse floats in the pond outside his home. May his spirit strike down these invaders.

18th Galena: Another day of slaughter. We have 12 confirmed casualties as of dawn, and there could still be more drowned in pools or butchered beyond all recognition. Silverfires will not fall, I will assure that it doesn't. I am forced to bar the gates and raise the bridges, barring out those still fighting. I can only wait for a short time for the survivors to get inside before I have to lock Silverfires off from the world.

19th Galena: Only four militia dwarves returned safely. A woodcrafter has made it right to the third bridge and asks me to let him in, and I am able to let him in safely and without risking the others. He says he is very thirsty.

The cries of our unfortunate pets being slaughtered disturbs me. I am trembling as I pull the lever, and slip. The drawbridge crushes the woodcrafter and he is dead.

I stagger up the stairs to the arch's roof and see the conquerors.

Spoiler: The Arch (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Northern Force (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Southern Force (click to show/hide)

21st Galena: The armorer completes his work and looks up at the solemn faces, beaming. We tell him what happened, and sits next to his wife, cradling Nazushellest, "Bloodkin", the adamantine left gauntlet...

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2011, 06:24:17 pm »

21 Galena 131
I have decided on a name. "AbuDhabi's Arch" has a nice ring to it. Hopefully the memory of our fallen friend will help us to victory... I hope...

(AbuDhabi, would it be ok if Aussieevil's and Babylon's first kid is your redorf?)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 06:28:02 pm by aussieevil »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 07, 2011, 07:54:51 pm »

21st Galena 131
Who the hell pissed off the humans? Just why would ANYONE do something like that? The humans are the only allies the dwarves had, and now they're warring against us. Great job.
Several people I knew died, including the great warrior AbuDhabi. I feel it only proper that the huge-ass arch be dedicated to him. We should build his coffin inside it, along with the coffins of the other fallen.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17