Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Silverfires (.25 succession fort. Sign up for rulership or dorfing)  (Read 13563 times)

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Silverfires (.21 succession fort. Sign up for rulership or dorfing)
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2011, 02:27:37 pm »

All right. I guess that means AbuDhabi, you're up...
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2011, 03:41:34 pm »

Downloading save!

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2011, 04:05:22 pm »

From the personal diary of 'AbuDhabi' Dodokbasen

18th Sandstone 128
I have been make Overseer of Silverfires. Apparently, for reasons that escape my understanding, the (now former) Overseer, Sir Broccoli, decided he can't take this anymore. After much deliberation among the administration and management staff, I've been elected as the one who shall lead us to greatness for a year, a season, a month and ten days. The mayor has dropped by the militia barracks to inform me. I must admit I was struck dumb. What know I of overseeing settlements?

Nonetheless, I'll do my best. May Legon preserve us, and bring us riches.

Spoiler: Creatures (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stocks (click to show/hide)

21st Sandstone 128
It's been days, but only now I think I may be grasping what's going on in our settlement. I haven't really explored since I immigrated. My first tentative decision as Overseer was to empower everyone with any skill with stoneworking to handle any jobs that come up in that area - we need that partially constructed aqueduct finished ASAP! It represents a terrible vulnerability to our defensive capabilities. I've cancelled the mandate to smooth the former Overseer's quarters. It is wasteful and we need the manpower elsewhere.

23rd Sandstone 128
Only now I know why the cooks could never point me in the direction of the meat cellar, when I had the craving for some cat sirloin - we don't have any meat! This is a regrettable state of affairs. I have ordered meat production to proceed at once, there are so many juicy beasts wandering around...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

4th Timber 128
With the miners at my command, I have begun a project that might help me upon the Path. It is a... shrine. If you can call it that. No worship will be conducted there, surely, for it is madness to call upon someone who will send you only dooms and death. Still, I find no better words for it. Thanks to my contacts, I have learned how to design these shrines. May Legon grant me strength, for I intend to use it when it is completed.

And that'll be all from me tonight. I need to sleep. Anyone want dwarfing, a screenshot of their dwarf's profile, anything?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 04:42:51 pm by AbuDhabi »

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2011, 04:36:14 pm »

A book that AussieEvil took with him on the day the Pit of Despair was exiled.

The Pantheon of The Wealthy Merchants

Section: Tobul, the goddess of metals.
Often appearing as a female dwarf with a cloak of pure gold, Tobul is said to have blessed...

Section: Nadak, the god of fortresses
Appearing to mortals as a strong imposing dwarf, Nadak is quite kind to...

Section: Etur, the goddess of minerals
She is a modest deity, preferring to appear as a normal female dwarf. Mortals who come into contact with her do not usually...

Section: Avuz Tintower the Silvery Diamonds of Iron, goddess of mountains
Considered by some to be the queen of the gods, Avuz Tintower...

Section: Shin Inkycopper, goddess of jewels
One of the more flamboyant deities, Shin is rarely seen in art without a cloak covered in gems...

Section: Legon the Wanderer of Treasure, god of weath and trade
Legon is said to have taught trade to the first dwarves in prehistory. He is said to smile on honest...

Section: Mothram Dashedhates the Rosy Piss, goddess of lust and depravity
Her appearance is disputed (some even argue if she is even female,)...

Section: Taron Greaterknights, goddess of fame
It is said of great heroes "May Taron sing her praises forever...

Section: Zagstok, god of disease
While mostly seen by others as a treacherous deity, followers of Zagstok claim that he...

((I hope you don't mind that I made up some of this stuff))
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 04:40:28 pm by aussieevil »

b1rd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2011, 10:39:08 pm »

Terribly sorry, college is hectic this week. I was looking forward to this, but it has been completely imposssible for me to dedicate a few hours a day to anything. I'll attempt to resub for incompetence overseeing next week. Try not to have the fortress die horribly too much fun 'till then :)

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2011, 12:00:20 am »

You're on the list again.

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2011, 01:03:12 am »

6th Timber 128
Today, I heard a scream outside. Immediately, I rushed out with the Laborious Glazes to investigate, but it was too late. Litast the Mechanic was already mauled by a grizzly bear. The bear has been properly shot for this foul murder. Litast didn't have any family here in Silverfires, which spares me the depressing task of informing them of his fate.

17th Timber 128
Traders have arrived! Fortunately, there were some very fine golden statues lying around, excellent for trading for anything our fortress needs... I must confess I am somewhat baffled by what they brought. Metal bars and metal-bearing ores, some leather, and some meat. While I can understand our need for the latter two, the former are just baffling. Do we not live in a mountain? Do we not possess our own metalsmithing industry? Do our miners not strike the earth in search of its treasures? Bah! We'll buy it anyway. I'm going to have a stern talk with the mayor about import agreements.

19th Timber 128
The mayor has recommended himself as the best candidate for the baron, when the liaison brought up the matter. What a jackass. On the upside, I did get to talk to him about those import agreements - we're requesting leather, wood, drinks and fish. I haven't eaten any fish in years.

The mayor has been mumbling about that mandate for black bronze items. I've mollified him temporarily by signing off the order.

5th Moonstone 128
I've ordered some more items necessary for the shrine. When I delivered the requests to the manager, AussieEvil, he said something to the meaning of "whatever, put them down anywhere" and resumed work on some mechanisms. I'm assigning someone less busy to his position. I wonder when he'll notice.

15th Moonstone 128
I've been looking at some of the zone paperwork from the previous Overseers. I must say that they did have a good idea with the pastures outside of the gates. The animals will surely distract goblin invaders and offer us precious minutes to organize a counterattack! That is, until they are slaughtered for meat.

21st Moonstone 128
Now, I'm no architect or mechanic, but it looks like the aqueduct is complete. Pity the river is frozen, so we won't be able to make a test run until spring or summer.

5th Opal 128
The construction works thankfully don't question my design of the shrine. They don't suspect its purpose, and instead seem to believe that this is a standard mad project of the current Overseer. Good. For it is nearing completion.

11th Opal 128
A possessed mason, one Onul Eshtanakgos. I wonder what he'll carve up.

18th Opal 128
Fire Imps! Curse them! One managed to escape the magma sea, and wrought havoc in the fortress. I've dispatched the Gears of Homage to deal with it, but by the time they got there, it was already dead... but two of our civilians were already on fire, and two more were mortally burned. Our magma workshops need a redesign to preclude more incidents like this.

25th Opal 128
A quern. How useless. But oh, so pretty!

8th Obsidian 128
Finally, the redesign of the magma workshops is complete. No more fire imps will get in, unless they can phase through solid stone.

9th Obsidian 128
I have created a new squad, composed of just myself. I think the "Hatchets of Harmonizing" is a glorious name. The shrine is complete, so I made a standing order to pull the lever that operates it.

20th Obsidian 128
Fuck! I was preparing for the journey into the shrine, when the goblins decided they'd come early! Turns out those animals in pastures outside actually did warn us, bless the foresight of whoever set them up. Myself and everyone else in the military rushed out to meet them in battle, and we did. Kib the Marksdwarf was struck down.  Goblin axemen flanked us as we dealt with the hammermen. It was not a good day for Silverfires. When I finally managed to run up from the forges, quickly putting on my greaves, I was met with a sight of total canage. Dwarven and goblin corpses everywhere. Gritting my teeth, I chased down a nearby hammer-goblin and dismembered him. A straggler appeared in my sights, and I chased him down as well. Covered in blood, I returned to the gate. The goblins were driven away... but at what terrible cost? There are five surviving members of the militia.

mamboricua's dwarf has been struck down, as well as nine others. Crap.

1st Granite 129
I have drafted replacements for the slain. They're not happy about this, especially given that the deceased did have some friends among the still living, but I don't see what else I can do. We can only buckle up, train, and I can hope that my upcoming experience in the shrine proves beneficial to all.

Pfew. I'm going to take a break now. I'll probably fire off another update today.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:35:44 pm by AbuDhabi »

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2011, 02:05:56 am »

5th Moonstone 128
I was informed today that I was replaced as manager by the current overseer. I was the first overseer of this place, by Zagstok, and now I'm just treated as dirt. No matter. I will find a way to be remembered for my deeds.

21 Moonstone 128
The aqueduct is finally finished, but... where's the water wheel? How will it be powered? Will we have to subject a dwarf to life in the pumphouse?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 02:12:08 am by aussieevil »

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2011, 08:16:16 am »

3rd Granite 129
You wouldn't believe how much of chore it is to complete a good suit of armour in this place. It's like the stockpiles were intentionally placed in such a way so it would slow everything down as much as possible. In between running up and down stairs, I have told the miners to get rid of the slopes surrounding our main gate. I intend this to be groundwork for erecting some sort of proper wall and outer defenses. Though I don't want to admit it to the others, I don't know where the lever operating the front gate is.

7th Granite 129
The first part of the walls is designated. Now to wait for our masons to construct them.

14th Granite 129
A recruit spied a goblin thief sneaking around. The damn pedophile managed to escape, however.

15th Granite 129
Finally, I am ready. This day, I enter the shrine. It is a burden few would want to willingly undertake, and even fewer those who would do it knowing what I know. My mother and father, may Legon and Avuz have mercy on their souls, were on the Path of Blood. I do not know why they chose this life, or how they became part of the Fellowship, but I suspect that they prepared me for what I am doing now. I am already beginning to be inured to the sufferings of others, getting used to tragedy. I know that after enduring the shrine's punishment, should I survive, I will become something more - and something less as well. The shrine is not for worship, it is for sacrifice. All who enter sacrifice their lives in the end, some sacrifice it in the shrine itself, but everyone who enters also sacrifices their compassion. I fully expect that upon leaving, my only real joy will be slaughter. So be it.

14th Slate 129
With the completion of the northern part of of the wall, I have ordered the masons to build the southern part, on my way to the dining hall. I have no free time, only enough to eat, drink and sleep. Already, I feel stronger, faster and much more durable. I don't see why this is so bad. I feel good.

28th Slate 129
I overheard some talk that some kind of monster has been spotted in the caverns. No matter. It should be safely walled away from us... if the previous Overseers were at least marginally competent.

3rd Felsite 129
The outdoorsdwarves report that the ice has finally broken. I give an offhand order to start pumping. AussieEvil mutters something about water wheels. I don't see the point - irrigation is not needed all the time. We can spare some dwarfpower.

11th Felsite 129
The elves have arrived. They must be mad, or very brave. They will be proven foolish, for they seem an apt way to test the... changes I've been undergoing. I know CinnabarMan, the militia commander, wanted in on the action. I will permit this. He and his squad will be stationed outside the depot, in case any escape my wrath. But first, they must come to that depot. We will feign friendliness.

13th Felsite 129
The elves suspect nothing. Oh, and some child has been possessed. It's unimportant. I will sleep before the action, as I suspect the poorly drilled recruits will have lots of problems getting to station in a timely manner. CinnabanMan has decided it's a splendid time to grab equipment from the forges.

19th Felsite 129
Pathetic. The elves put up no fight at all. CinnabarMan and his marksdwarves were enthusiastic in helping me, but even with superior numbers, they could only barely overpower some of the pack animals. Oh, and the wall is finished - almost. I'm going to mandate some finishing touches done, and a barracks designated just inside the new gateway. This reduces the walking-to-killing ratio, and improves operational security of our settlement.

3rd Hematite 129
In my spare time, I have ordered our captive panda-people thrown into the pit. Unfortunately, there seems to some kind of unspoken protocol to this I am unaware of, because instead of doing that in a manner that could be described as safe, the handlers unlocked the cages, and tried to drag the beasts over to the pit. The results were predictable. I have ordered the entire military over to the animal stockpile chamber, in hopes of preserving a life or two. When we arrived, we slew the panda people wandering around, though three were already dead. I have commanded the mess cleaned up.

metime00's and Sir Broccoli's dwarves (plus one other) have perished.

14th Hematite 129
The others have taken to calling me Estilarbost Ob - the Whirling Deification of Tar. I'm not sure what that means. In other news, that possessed kid must really admire Johnny Digs. A quick investigation shows that they've only met once or twice. Is the statuette some kind of metaphor for something that happened in the quarry bushes between Johnny Digs and Moldath?

Note: Moldath is male, Johnny Digs is female.

I am taking another break. There might be an update this evening, though.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:35:16 pm by AbuDhabi »

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2011, 04:21:40 pm »

From the personal diary of 'AbuDhabi' Dodokbasen, the Whirling Deification of Tar

26th Hematite 129
Though it is hard to believe, the manually-operated pump stack has been successful in filling the aqueduct. Though it's a sorrowful distraction from my time in the shrine, I have read the documentation concerning the levers operating the farm irrigation scheme. I must give credit to the designer - AussieEvil, was it? - he knew his architecture and irrigation technology. The farm spaces are now fully operational. I have decreed that sweet pods, cave wheat, pig tails and plump helmets be grown.

27th Hematite 129
Somehow, a marauding panda man has wandered into our secure enclosure. I dealt with it.

8th Malachite 129
Another beast has come - according to rumours. I'm not sure how they know that something is out there when all routes have been prudently walled off. Do they listen at the walls?

9th Malachite 129
At last, the proper outdoor gate entrance to the fort is done. It allows us to have some room outdoors - for stockpiling wood and refuse, as well as for growing trees and gathering plants. Everyone who enters the fort need use the green glass gate, which improves security. I'm sure the militia will grumble at being ordered to train outside, but I don't care. They're here for the good of us all, not the other way around. I need to get that bridge linked to a lever, so we can actually use it properly.

6th Galena 129
It's quiet. Too quiet.

And with that, I'll conclude for today. More updates tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:05:34 pm by AbuDhabi »

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2011, 06:51:53 pm »

26 Hematite 129
I have heard reports that my irrigation system worked. I will check the results later. If it did work, this would be something my old teacher back at the Mountainhomes would be proud of. Now to think up the next big project...

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2011, 07:00:22 pm »

20th Hematite
Blah blah blah, there's no talk of that adamantine I helped discover.
Did I really discover it?
Did it un-happen or something?
Whatever.
If it's not already changed, you should change my profession from Overseer Guy to Former Overseer Guy. Thanks!
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2011, 01:55:14 am »

Yeah, done that already.

7th Galena 129
During a meal, I overheard talk of adamantine. Sure enough, checking the available documentation thoroughly, a vein has been discovered. Duly, I have sent our miners to extract some of it.

11th Galena 129
If all goes well, my axe will be mine no longer. I name you Jaderaw, the Proliferation of Entries! If another uses you, they will add to your glory.

13th Galena 129
I'm not sure what was supposed to be in that place - probably someone's luxurious quarters - but it'll do for the adamantine strand extraction area.

15th Galena 129
The humans have arrived. I briefly pondered whether to slay them, but decided against. The scripture speaks that Legon is fond of the overlarge people, for they are a people of traders and merchants, where dwarves are a people of crafters and miners.

16th Galena 129
Somewhat late, a diplomat from their state arrived. I wonder what he wants.

19th Galena 129
A giant tick with a poisonous bite. Really?

20th Galena 129
I oversaw that the humans brought, among other things a couple of barrels of blood. They weren't sure why, but said that someone offloaded it on them on good monetary terms if they tried to sell it. What they don't know is that the it is the Fellowship that sends these barrels, thus communicating their presence in various places. I am quite surprised, but I probably shouldn't be. The Path can be viewed as an ambitious choice - and what are humans if not ambitious? The broker offloaded a large wad of our trashcrafts on the traders, and they seemed ecstatic, buying everything useful they had.

6th Limestone 129
Adamantine processing is going really slowly, part of which is explained by the chief weaponsmith's laziness.

24th Limestone 129
I have completed my adamantine outfit. The armoursmith is not as masterful as I'd like, but the material alone makes my current equipment superior to simple steel. Out of the remaining adamantine, I mandated construction of basic armour for the rest of the military - helms, shirts and greaves. I am loathe to extract more ore, for bad things are rumoured to happen if one digs too greedily and too deep.

3rd Sandstone 129
The baron is overspilling with jealousy. For some reason, despite having the best quarters in the fortress, he thinks the mayor's lesser arrangements are too rich for him.

13th Sandstone 129
The mayor finally made some time to meet with the human diplomat. But didn't want to tell me what they've discussed. No matter, probably unimportant. I wonder... if bad stuff happens if you dig too deep, does it also happen if you dig upwards? The adamantine shaft seems vertical. I'm instructing the miners to see if there's more above the layer they've already dug out.

16th Sandstone 129
Damn. Just microcline.

20th Sandstone 129
Migrants have come. Among the more useful of them are a blacksmith and a diagnoser, and there are eight in total.

3rd Timber 129
A furnace operator stopped talking and claimed a magma forge. I hear say she grabbed some adamantine wafers. Whatever she makes, it will be glorious.

18th Timber 129
Goblins come with intent to siege! A rutherer-mounted macer with a squad of ruthless axe goblins! What joy! Everyone rushed to the gates to meet them, and welcome them warmly with our bolts and hammers and axes. I slew five personally. The others took their time, smashing goblin bones to mush with their hammers. In the end, we lost two of the weakest soldiers. The haulers should clean up the mess promptly.

I'm going to take a break. Last update probably in the afternoon.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:17:28 am by AbuDhabi »

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2011, 02:36:11 am »

7 Galena 129
Heard talk about Adamantine. I have heard the stories about that material many times. Oh Tabul, if you ever listen, protect us...

20 Galena 129
Witnessed a trade with humans from Dur Posa. Our current overseer seems somewhat pleased by the macabre fact that they brought barrels of blood. Is this something to do with that little cove he's ordered dug out for him? At least Zagstok's easy to please.

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2011, 06:00:44 am »

Some OOC notes.

CinnabarMan apparently didn't participate in the siege because he was too busy having a drink - I can't be certain, but he wasn't on site, and that's what I saw him doing after I checked immediately after the siege was broken. On the upside, he's got a pretty good loadout of adamantine armour on, privilege of a squad leader (or a quirk of the equipment-assignment system). The moody furnace operator's only other metalsmithing-relevant skill is Weaponsmith. I only hope she makes an edged weapon, rather than a hammer with a punch comparable to a nerf bat.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17