Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Silverfires (.25 succession fort. Sign up for rulership or dorfing)  (Read 13549 times)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Silverfires (.21 succession fort. Sign up for rulership or dorfing)
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 07:05:52 pm »

The Journal of Babylon Bidokathel  Stonecrafter of the Pit of Despair

1st Granite 127

Aussie Evil has called me into his office.  apparently he's sick of running the place and is handing command off to me!  I have to admit this comes as a bit of a surprise but I'll do my best.

First off I take stock of the place.  it looks like Aussie has started an aqueduct project, but not completed it, there are a couple of nicely labelled levers on the top floor and a narrow aqueduct without the walls finished leading off into space.  I assume Aussie was planning on emptying the currently frozen pool at the end of the aqueduct into internal cisterns. 

We have bedrooms, they're not luxurious or anything, but they're private.  On the level below the bedrooms we've got some sort of rooms, what the plans were for them I'm not quite sure.

We've also breached an underground cavern, something that gives me a bit of concern as it doesn't look as if there are any sort of defensive fortifications set up to keep the beasts that dwell within from wandering up into our bedrooms and murdering us in our sleep.  I've ordered some walls put up to protect us until we decide we want to head down there to harvest the wood and silk that can be found in abundance.

I'm also ordering the construction of some cages and mechanisms to protect our entrance from unwelcome visitors.  I know some consider this undwarvenly, but we don't have much in the way of a military yet and if we're going to train one we need something to train them on.

I've also instructed people to get to work clearing the stones out from near our workshops so we can put wood there for the carpenter and the furnaces and am working hard on a new batch of crafts for next years caravan.  Or the elves perhaps if they arrive.

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 08:02:50 pm »

Dwarf me! Anything to do with stone is good.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 08:36:03 pm »

13 Slate 127

Some migrants arrived, among them Johnny Digs the miner (the name screams miner to me, and they dig rocks, so that works)

I put him to work with the other miners digging out a cistern so we'll have a safe well to drink out of.  They brought a lot of animals along as well.  We'll have to pasture those outside with the ones we have.

http://picpaste.com/Digs.Jpg

21st Slate 127 The Sheriff has entered a strange mood.  I'm not sure what his skills are, so hopefully he wants a workshop that we actually have.

He promptly kicked me out of the crafting shop and started screaming about logs and cut gems, I'll have to build a jeweler shop to cut him some gems, I hope we have some uncut ones to work with.

14th felsite 127

Well, it seems the sheriff is a bit of an elf, after we cut him some black zircon this is what we got

http://picpaste.com/Strikecall.bmp

On the same day the elven caravan arrived.  I think that proves it, lets see if I can offload some of these crafts I've been making and get us some interesting animals.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:12:19 pm by Babylon »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 08:59:15 pm »

Fey, secretive, or possession?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 09:13:20 pm »

Fey, secretive, or possession?

Fey, so it's entirely his own fault he made a larch sceptre, he can't even blame it on his god.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 09:30:37 pm »

28th Felsite 127

We traded the elves a mountain of crafts I had made (they seem to appreciate them more than the king did) for a tame monkey, some booze, some berries, and a bunch of cloth.  We don't really need the cloth now but I figure we'll want to make bags soon at the very least.  And a sasquatch knocked over an axle on the mysterious construction Aussie Evil had been working on.

15th Hematite 127

Summer has come and the elves are finally leaving.  I've designated an area by the tunnel to the well for underground crops, an indoor still, and an area for farm and cloth workshops.  We also had an immigrant hunter kill a giant panda and I've had a butcher shop, a tanner shop and a kitchen built to deal with its corpse.

10th Malachite 127

Migrants are flooding to us.  Apparently we have a reputation as a peaceful prosperous settlement, i had better get those cage traps and perhaps a drawbridge up soon before the goblins hear about it.  We currently have 42 people and more animals than I am sure what to do with.  I slaughtered a water buffalo bull because he was eating all the grass.

The sherriff has been complaining about having to sleep in the dorms with us commoners, so I have started construction of a pair of luxurious rooms for him off the tunnel we have been digging toward the magma.

21st Malachite

Our first Birth. Ale Explosion, in the midst of producing mechanisms, has given birth.  Her baby boy's name is currently Ingiz Mazirtost, but that might be changing in the future.  I'm sure miss Ale Explosion and her husband Amost Bustrelic are very proud.  Ale Explosion at the least seems to be ecstatic.

5 Galena

After a Grizzly Bear guzzled a barrel of strawberry wine I've ordered the outside still dismantled.  All booze production will be inside from now on.

14 Galena

The humans are here.  Time to offload some more crafts and see what they have to offer.

17 Galena

In a tragic Bear attack CinnabarMan, our militia commander, was mauled and killed.  The fort took a moment of silence to memorialize our first casualty.  Construction has begun on his coffin.

He was replaced in the position of militia commander by our hunter, who has taken on the name Cinnabar Man to properly honor his predecessor.

http://picpaste.com/cinnabar.bmp

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:12:49 pm by Babylon »

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2011, 11:21:06 pm »

Inebriated ursine rampage!
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 11:29:45 pm »

((Wow that was fast haha!))

Journal of "CinnabarMan"

17 Galena

Well this is kinda awkward. Seems like I get to replace the original commander. Sucks to be him, but hey! At least I can, uh hunt a bear or something?

For revenge I guess. Or to honor his memory.

With delicious bear roasts. Hmm...

SpiritJournal of CinnabarMan

17 Galena

FUCK. BEARS.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:32:50 pm by CinnibarMan »
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2011, 03:06:26 am »

edit: ignore what i said earlier, wrong thread, whoops

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2011, 04:23:35 am »

20th Galena

Our Blacksmith has been taken by a fey mood.  Our trader meanwhile prefers to do anything but trade with the humans.  Come on Amost, I know they smell funny, but we need to offload those crafts.

23 Galena

The blacksmith has what he wants.  Gold Bars, Highwood logs, and a lump of granite.  Somehow I am not all that excited about whatever he intends to create.  Amost is finally trading, he offloads a bunch of the crafts I've made (I'm getting pretty good at this, apparently some of my crafts are considered masterpieces by humans) for a goat, some guineafowl, a few empty cages and barrels,  human booze some topland crops and cheeses and such. 

27 Galena

The construction is finished, a solid gold anvil.  Not as useless as I had feared, and we've just struck semi-molten rock so the magma should be somewhere nearby.  Hopefully we can use it to set up a magma forge.

http://picpaste.com/Held_Bean.bmp

Cinnabar Man's body is being interred in the gold mine, I figure a dwarf could hope for no better eternal resting place.

1st Limestone

Autumn has come and Agatharchides our chief medical dwarf has thrown a party to celebrate the passing of the seasons.  Aside from getting CinnabarMan buried there's nothing terribly pressing that needs to be done so we are all enjoying ourselves.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:45:53 am by Babylon »

Ancalagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2011, 10:12:05 am »

Who made the anvil?

An artifact anvil sounds awesome. Something for genuine Dwarven legend!

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2011, 03:39:03 pm »

Who made the anvil?

An artifact anvil sounds awesome. Something for genuine Dwarven legend!

He's a blacksmith that hasn't been dwarfed.  If anyone would like him I'll be happy to rename him.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2011, 04:14:00 pm »

27th Sandstone

http://picpaste.com/obi.bmp

I'm not terribly concerned, he seems to have no syndrome, and he's made of ash.  Plus the caverns are all sealed off at the moment.  Might be a good idea to start working on the military though, just in case.

2nd Timber

More migrants.  Maybe I should draft them and send them after the beast. We don't really have any sort of military metal though.  I'll definitely be asking for as much iron as possible from the caravan.

3rd Timber

Drafted 4 dwarves under Militia Commander Cinnabar Man.  One has some smattering axe skill, the rest have nothing but weren't contributing to the fortress so they are now soldiers.  I've got the leatherworker hard at work making armor for them.

18 Timber

The river is frozen and the caravan is here.  Let's see if they have anything good and request some iron, make that lots and lots of iron.

They didn't bring any iron although they did bring a nice steel breastplate.

I had Krumisan request steel, iron, tin and bronze bars, as well as ore for making iron and tin.

1st Moonstone

Winter has come and work on the dropchute to supply the magma workshops with material has been completed.  The top of it is near the farms, just below the bedrooms and if it is designated as a dump zone and the rock stockpile by the upper workshops is removed it should work beautifully to get sand, clay, and metal down to the workshops far below.  Getting products back up will take more time and the main staircase has not been extended that far yet.

3rd moonstone

The other craftdwarf has been taken by a fey mood.  It's shameful of me, but I kind of hope he ends up making something wooden.  I like being the best stonecrafter in the place.

7th Moonstone

two Mica, rough pink garnets, and cut morion.  It looks like he's going to be surpassing me as a stonecrafter.  I guess this will be good as far as trading goes though.

11th Moonstone

He's finished it, Frecklesilver the Gallows of Stability.  Evidently he's a fan of capital punishment.  Not that I'd stoop to finding some crime he might be guilty of just to eliminate the competition, no, there's room enough for both of us in the fort.

http://picpaste.com/Frecklesilver.bmp

Meanwhile krumisan has gone back to mining rather than saying goodbye to the envoy.  I've told him to quit mining for a bit so that the envoy can get safely home and deliver our requests.

15 Moonstone

As the envoy let us know what he'd like to purchase next year the caravan prepared to leave, and work on the sleeping quarters for the tradesmen that will be manning the deep furnaces was nearly finished.

These are the things in demand at the mountainhomes

http://picpaste.com/sell.bmp

(And DF crashed, wiping out my progress since the start of winter.  So much for that legendary mug)

1st Moonstone

I dreamed that Domas Gerigmebzuth was taken by a mood and made a mug that put anything I had ever created to shame.  I awoke in a sweat and rushed to look, but no, he had not, it was only a dream.  Perhaps the coming of winter has me on edge.

15 Moonstone

My dream may have been prophetic, but in an odd way,  Domas did not go into a strange mood but Sir Broccoli did.   I am curious to see what she creates.

She quickly grabs highwood logs and an empty cedar bin.  I've never seen a bin used in a strange mood before, I am more curious than ever.

19 Moonstone  Sir Broccoli still works furiously.  meanwhile I have assigned Ancalagon, along with a fledgeling potter and glassmaker, to bedrooms in the depths of the fortress near the magma so they can more easily staff the glass workshop, kiln, smelter, and forge down there.

20th Moonstone

Sir Broccoli has completed her work.  She emerges holding up Esotik  or Clearedsheen a highwood weapon rack.  It's decorated with highwood, but in a way that awes with it's stark simplicity, no hanging rings, no menacing spikes, no inlayed images.  Simply an image of pure beauty and functionality.

22nd Moonstone

Krumisan informs me of what the mountainhomes would like for next year, I must have dreamed of them requesting something else.

http://picpaste.com/sell_1.bmp
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 07:23:35 pm by Babylon »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2011, 07:39:33 pm »

Quick question, are danger rooms allowed?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2011, 08:05:42 pm »

23rd Opal

Another birth.  This time Kib Mengtonum, one of our soldiers who is, as of yet, completely unskilled. Has given birth to a new baby boy.  Congratulations Kib, don't confuse the child with your crossbow, not that you should really be hitting things with either.

8th Obsidian

And Another, Congratulations Catten Keskalbim, Carpenter on the birth of your son.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:25:12 pm by Babylon »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17