Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: Silverfires (.25 succession fort. Sign up for rulership or dorfing)  (Read 13551 times)

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Silverfires (.21 succession fort. Sign up for rulership or dorfing)
« Reply #165 on: April 07, 2011, 08:40:36 pm »

Is the human siege from Dur Posa or another civ?
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 07, 2011, 08:42:06 pm »

They're armor bears the insignia of Dur Posa. Apparently they just stopped liking us. Or maybe some of their traders died in our fort, that makes the civs mad too.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 07, 2011, 09:06:07 pm »

24th Galena, 131: I have allowed the military dwarves remaining to leave their posts and visit their friends and family. I also have opened the inner walls to our dwarves, perhaps the normal life of our fortress will return even with goblins outside.

26th Galena: Upon repossession of the inner walls the dwarves noticed a caged goblin in the cage pile. Bloodlust and thoughts of revenge immediately overtook us. To appease our anger, I have ordered the goblin to be dropped into the magma sea. Construction of the trap will begin immediately.

28th Galena: The goblins are poised right outside our walls, and many of us dare not go near there, even with a wall in between us and them. Furthermore, the trolls have destroyed the doors holding the aqueduct water in. The first monument of Silverfires has been defiled.

4th Limestone: The trolls have destroyed the pump stack. Rage fuels the miners carving out the goblin's deathtrap.

8th Limestone: I look again from AbuDhabi's Arch to see that the trolls' destruction of the aqueduct pump stack has flooded the stairs they stand on and knocked them off the precarious location. The trolls are feeling the great pain they deserve.

20th Limestone: The execution trap is nearly complete. The goblin will soon be dead.

7th Sandstone: Work progresses at a painfully slow pace. The fortress is still distraught from our loss.

11th Sandstone: I've requested that the engravers engrave one wall of the second floor, hopefully they will commemorate our fallen comrades.

9th Timber: There seems to be some trouble with the death trap. Everyone is too afraid of the goblin to cut it loose and drop it into the fire...

14th Timber: The new plan is to skewer the goblin with countless bolts. Then drop it into the lava.

1st Moonstone: We have shot the goblin dead and are preparing to send the grisly beast into the magma where it belongs.

12th Moonstone: The goblin was dropped into the fires, but the splash from its platform knocked a child into the magma, a kid named Moldath. The bloodlust has been appeased, and we are all starting to cope with our losses.

Hmmm... In fact, magma would probably be the best solution to this problem, as we have a large supply of it and the materials necessary to move the magma. I decide to call a meeting to discuss the option with my ex-overseers. The surviving ones at least.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2011, 10:13:12 pm »

(illegible) 131
The humans are from Dur Posa. Why would they turn against us? I can think of two reasons off the top of my head:

• The diplomat was murdered by pandafolk
  • One of Dur Posa's leaders or "gods" is actually a demon from the depths

I am currently looking through my books to find a solution to our goblin problem.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:15:13 pm by aussieevil »
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 08, 2011, 01:56:26 am »

The following entry was found in an outer hallway. The writing seems hurried and smudged...

--- - ---
Clearly the humans are jealous of the stones. I must get some outside without being seen.
- ø

Great job so far! It's winter now, right?
I think you should add more pictures if possible.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

metime00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 08, 2011, 07:20:44 am »

Journal of Unib, "metime00" Datanasob

The meeting is going horribly. I am tired of this job and the responsibility of the fortress. I can't handle it. I stand up, apologize to everyone for the turn of events, and give the duty of overseer to Vandersleld, the next in line.

Being a farmer is the simplest option in these troubled times. I can plant seeds for the rest of my life content that I built AbuDhabi's arch and at least protected the civilians of Silverfires...

I'm not going to have any time to finish for the next few days. I'll PM Vandersleld and he can pick up the save mid-winter and play a couple months extra.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4156

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 08, 2011, 11:37:18 am »

(AbuDhabi, would it be ok if Aussieevil's and Babylon's first kid is your redorf?)

It is. I'd also like to be added for a second go at rulership.

With a gurgled oath, the tormented spirit of a dwarf leaves its earthly container. Unbreakable and mighty though the dwarf's body might have been, she never learned to swim, her only consolation - taking the lives of those enemies who were at hand, that she have company on the way to Hell. Unhindered by mere solidity of rock, it plunges, deep beneath the surface, the caverns, and the magma sea. Only the gray stone beneath it slows her descent somewhat, charged with dark magics. The soul arrives at its destination, a landscape pitted with eerie crevices and shrouded with roiling clousd, and the swarms of devils close in to devour it.

But lo - a great arm of blood descends from above, snatching the spirit away from the keening demons. Carried back above, into a different place, not of time or space. A place of blood. Endless rivers of the fluid run in all directions, forming obscene waterfalls. A figure sits on top of a pulsing throne of flesh, and the deceased dwarf looks up - into the eyes devoid of compassion, lusting only for more blood and conflict that brings it. Her will could be smashed like a glass pane on smooth granite floor, but isn't. She understands, without words, that her fate is not complete. Though her flesh has failed her, it will be made anew. That is the covenant. The hand closes, and the spirit is crushed, compacted and hurled down into the Realms of Soul.

A baby begins to cry.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(I did this by using the provided save. The next overseer is encouraged to actually do that in the main branch of playthrough. :))

As a final note, the save seems to work fine with .25, so it might be worthwhile to upgrade.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 01:22:13 pm by AbuDhabi »

Vandersleld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 08, 2011, 01:58:50 pm »

I'll pick up the save when I get home. I may have a solution to the goblin/human problem. I think.
Do we still have a military? How much of the surface do we control? Do we have a glassmaking industry?

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 08, 2011, 02:27:56 pm »

I think we should still be controlling a small chunk of the outside, unless the invaders got through the outer gates. The aqueduct seems to be lost, not sure how long the doors will hold.

Vandersleld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 08, 2011, 04:57:57 pm »

Alright, I am acquiring the save. I'm going to go ahead and upgrade to .25, provided that massive failure does not occur. Expect some updates shortly!

Also, how would I go about changing the tileset back to the default? The current one is confusing to my ASCII-corrupted eyes.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:18:34 pm by Vandersleld »

Vandersleld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 08, 2011, 10:05:31 pm »

17th Moonstone

Well, I'm overseer. Really don't know how that happened. One day I'm building mechanisms and drawing up generator plans, next thing "metime00", fortress overseer, bursts in and says that he's had enough. Must be the stress or something; why else would any self-respecting dwarf want to give up overseership two months early and go back to farming? Very odd. Must be the stress. Or something in the water. Best stick to booze, that's what I say.

On that note, the outpost seems to be critically low on the good stuff. Only thirteen swigs left in the stocks? Unacceptable! My first action as overseer is to order booze production to step up and convert all those useless plants into tasty alcohol! Luckily we still have plenty of food, and can cook our surplus meat if we need to.

I then took a stroll around the fort, to size up my new responsibilities. I'd never been into the deep forges before, but after just a few minutes in that cramped, hot room I determined that they were inadequate. Only three anvils and four smelters! We can do better than that. I ordered that the complex be expanded, to facilitate magma-based industry.

I met with CinnabarMan to discuss the military state of the fortress. Unfortunately, the militia was decimated in the last onslaught against the siege, so we have only five soldiers, two of whom are raw recruits. They're all a bit traumatized from their last foray against the goblin menace, so I won't be sending them out there anytime soon. However, two foul monsters reside in the caverns below the fortress, and military engineering projects may necessitate work in the caves. Thus, our surviving militia will remain on active duty for the time being, lest the need to kill some loathesome beasts arise.

On the whole, it was a productive day.

19th Moonstone

I re-examined the magma complex plans, and realized that I could construct a system of magma ducts, rather than having to spend time gingerly digging over the magma sea. A pump would fill the ducts when they were completed. Also, it's snowing. I took a brief break from my paperwork and built a snowdwarf. The goblin corpses added to the picturesqueness.

28th Moonstone
The baroness consort called a party.
Why is it that we have a baroness consort, or a baron? Work would be done far more effectively with a socialized system of labor distribution. Strange dwarves coming from over the horizon bearing official-looking papers is no basis for a system of government! I told the partygoers that the room that they had chosen for their festivities was no longer to be used for public assemblies. They ignored me; someone even tried to stick a silly hat on my head.
I thought for a bit, and then declared that there was no longer a dining room here. That got their attention; dejected, they returned to their work. Their will be time for parties once the safety of the fortress is assured.

10th Opal
Even in these trying times there remain spots of light and hope.
Apparently he likes milk; good thing, as it's all he'll be drinking for some time. He also really likes Nadak, god of fortresses. A LOT. Fascinating.

The new magma industrial complex has been fully dug out. We're starting to lay out the furnaces and forges over the magma intake ducts, and should be ready to start pumping the red stuff shortly!

The new and improved forge room:
The sub-floor distribution duct:

ROXAS got himself trapped in the magma intake duct. I sent someone to dig him out.

I'd never before noticed how many ghosts there were around here. Ghostly planters hovering around the forges, ghostly soldiers drifting around the blood-soaked hillside, ghostly cheesemakers in the meeting hall... it gets rather chilling at times. Thankfully they don't seem particularly violent. Just...mournful. It must be boring to be dead.

12th Opal
Some kid named Led sprinted past me during my daily jog. He had a very odd look in his eyes, and kept muttering some Old Dwarven phrase. He skidded into an unused crafting shop and started frantically piling rocks on the workbench. When our fellows are taken by the urge to build, we can only pray that they produce something of value.

19th Opal
Led finished his little project.
It was a mug.
If this is what our kind consider great, I fear for our race. There are donkey meat roasts in our larders that would sell for more than this.

19th Opal (appended)
Tragedy has struck. While magma was being pumped into the forge ducts, a sudden pressure variation caused a spout of molten rock to splash onto the floor, severely burning Erith the miner.
We did not have the means to cross the pool of magma spreading across the room; there was nothing we could do as she burned to death. We shall commission a memorial in her memory.

22nd Opal
I have officially started work on the machine that will save our fortress. Our settlement is built on the side of a high ridge; I recently realized that such a slope would be conducive to liquid flow, if distributed from near the top edge. Any invaders attempting to traverse the slope could be stymied by a flow of water from the top. However, our times are too desperate and our need is too great to use simple water. Magma will be a much more effective tool. When completed, the device will bring magma from the depths to a system of pipes along the ridgeline, which will evenly distribute it in flows down the slope. However, this will not be any ordinary magma pump; this will be the HYPERPUMP 3000, delivering SIX TIMES the usual flow of a standard pump stack. Any foul enemies daring to approach our home will be burned to death by a massive flow of molten rock, leaving behind nothing but their weapons and armor! Unfortunately, the majority of the surrounding terrain will have to be written off as a total loss; desperate times call for desperate measures!

HYPERPUMP 3000 will consist of 450 magma-safe pumping units in the stack alone, requiring close to 4500 units of power; the integrated generating complex will contain 60 water wheels, and will bring the total pump count to 510.
I have reassigned the entire fortress population to mining, masonry, and glassmaking, so that we will have enough material to complete this ambitious project. It will hopefully be completed within my reign; if not, I will trust that the next overseer will know what to do.

27th Opal
The remaining siegers are becoming rather annoying. I cannot even open our gate, lest we be slaughtered by the small band of remaining traiterous humans! Thus, I am preparing a system of traps at our gate. If need be, we can open the gate and allow our filthy enemies to run a gauntlet of deadly weapons! It will not be enough to repel a full siege, but it should be sufficient until HYPERPUMP 3000 is completed.

To be continued...

(Basically, we're completely sealed off from the surface, at least until the siegers go away. I'll need to send some people up there eventually to divert the river; if HYPERPUMP 3000 works as it should, we won't HAVE a river after the next siege. Unless someone comes with fliers, we can just hang out for a while. I might have to send the militia to kill the FBs; they're entirely organic, with bite-based syndromes, so we should be fine. I'll probably update next tomorrow evening, or do more tonight.)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 08, 2011, 10:39:50 pm »

22nd Opal 132
I have heard that the new overseer, some Vonderslild or other, caused a magma accident in the forge area while expanding it. His plan is to pump up the magma to the surface, just like in a few old stories I have heard. Because no fort is ever complete without a magma pump. Let it be done!

It could use a snappier name, though.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Vandersleld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2011, 12:16:11 am »

I'll take suggestions for the name. I thought of it in the shower. I think it has a nice ring to it.

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 09, 2011, 01:24:57 am »

WRT tileset: I think this is a modified one, and there should be special tilesets for it on the wiki. I am not certain how to revert it (copying the raws didn't work, for some reason there's a reaction missing if you do, even when not overwriting the reaction files).

metime00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 09, 2011, 05:33:09 pm »

22nd Opal, 131: The new overseer accepts the magma pumping idea. Luckily he is fresh and seems to know how to put plans into action. I did not possess such a skill in my time as overseer. A simple stone and metal arch such as AbuDhabi's is child's play compared to the complexity of utilizing mechanized magma weaponry. I feel that it was the right decision to pass on the title to this dwarf and fade into obscurity. May he strike the goblins as our predecessors struck the earth, and with luck, spare any needless casualties. Magma is serious business.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 01:45:19 pm by metime00 »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17