Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Elves, and pissing them off.  (Read 2524 times)

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves, and pissing them off.
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 01:35:55 am »

I love elves. I welcome their natural presence in my fortress. I allow them to share their wondrous gifts with my people.
I am not joking. I never kill the elves.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ManDwarf, they bring WOOD weapons. Their mounts are more dangerous than them. Use girlinhat animal powered watch towers to spot ambushes or just throw cats at them, they will do short work of them. Seriously, an single steel equiped dwarf with an average training with his weapon kick a elf siege out of your doors. The only problem are lucky marksmen, as they are overpowered and even with wooden bolts they still can get lucky.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 01:39:37 am »

Thanks to rhinos elves can shatter a unit. We should face it, a bow-elf on rhino back is pretty epic.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 05:00:51 am »

I've modded elves to quite possibly be more deadly than goblins. Jewel and metal pref, bronze armor, steel weapons, siege-laying, six-foot-six six immortal badasses. They're also usually at war with my dwarves following worldgen, dominate the world in terms of raw territory in the shadow of their fortresses, and enslave other races for their menial tasks.

Eventually in my latest game they're going to show up one winter and lay siege. I can only hope I will be ready for them.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 05:05:22 am »

I have nothing against elves really. They bring pretty beasts in cages.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 06:00:53 am »

Another day, another beastie, another elf corpse...
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 06:05:11 am »

I don't usually mind elves much, although they seem to be at war with my civ already in the world I just generated. I don't know if there's a way to find out why, but it would be pretty interesting to know, lol.

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 07:31:43 am »

Unless they attack me, I am fine with Elves, Humans, Dwarves, Goblins, Dragons, and other things.  I prefer less bloodthirsty pursuits, like perfectly carving out bedrooms, harboring Plinkett, and tending to my bonsai garden.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 07:37:42 am »

Shame we can't have tree groves yet, that need to be tended and manicured, and produce fruit constantly.  Or shrubs that could be sculpted for good moods.  Urist McLostAndStarving has enjoyed a hedge maze recently.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 10:11:53 am »

Shame we can't have tree groves yet, that need to be tended and manicured, and produce fruit constantly.  Or shrubs that could be sculpted elf killing good moods.  Urist McLostAndStarvingMcElfSlayer has enjoyed the smell of burning trees and elfs by the morning recently.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 03:59:30 pm »

Honestly, I play rough with elves because they reward me for it. If I give them great deals and buy a bunch of their crap, they come back with even more bins of rope reed. If I murder a few caravans, they start bringing me tamed exotic animals. When I can satisfy my homicidal tendancies and my need for absurdly large animals in the same action, why wouldn't I sic my axedwarves on the buggers?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 07:09:32 pm »

Actually, if you have a large stock of rope reed already, the caravan won't bring you much.  Caravans know how much stuff you've got and will bring stuff, which is why the dwarven caravan tends to carry wood if you're on a desert, whether you asked for it or not.

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 07:13:12 pm »

Just give one of their nobles [RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE] and request millions of giant lions or something. Or sunberries so you can start growing them. Or feather wood for... light barrels? Also, if you embark in a 2x2 map to improve your FPS, the wood they bring can be pretty useful when you're needing to ration barrels and bins, and usually even clear-cutting the map doesn't annoy them when it's that small. Buying rope reed cloth instead of having a cloth industry gives you something to do with the massive reserves of wealth you have cluttering up your corridors, too.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 08:05:23 pm »

I have no real animosity towards elves. Killing them is just annoying as I don't want to have to pick up all their junk. They just don't bring anything I really want. I'll buy stuff occasionally, but for the most part I just let them come and park in the depot for a season and then let them continue on their way. I rarely even send my broker to check their goods. I do occasionally try to save them from the goblins, but they are idiots for bringing no guards, and I end up picking their crap up anyways, or leaving it for the kobolds to loot.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 08:55:28 pm »

In previous versions elves would restrict your woodcutting. Without this I see no reason to kill or go to war with them. Plus it's a real hassle to clean up all the wooden stuff from them. Still when I need fun, the elves are the first to go.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 09:04:53 pm »

I've never killed an elf (in fort mode).

Yet, anyway. I've decided that I'm going to try to usher the world into the Age of Dwarves. So, once I've got all the exotic seeds and animals that I want and have done enough commerce to attract humans, I'ma start slaughtering elves (and humans) wholesale.

They will be very surprised to see that I modded the giant desert scorpion they brought me to be trainable.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.
Pages: 1 [2] 3