Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Elves, and pissing them off.  (Read 2522 times)

MisterLich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elves, and pissing them off.
« on: March 09, 2011, 07:45:38 pm »

Just a quick question.

Recently some elves came to trade me their abundance of rope reed cloth, but amongst it they had a ton of things and caged animals that I wanted, but mostly they had a whole stockpile of wood that I needed badly because I'm embarked on a frozen mountain with very very very few trees.  I didn't have the stuff to get all their logs with trade, but I had walled up my fortress with stone and the only way in and out was a drawbridge surrounded by traps and a long thin stretch of land that went to the bridge.  I decided I really needed those logs.

I got my military awake and stationed them all around the depot, then I deconstructed it under the elves, then I had my dorfs kill them in cold blood after they had come wanting to do honest trading.  I took their wood and all their other crap, and hucked their bodies into a pit with the rest of my refuse.  There were no survivors to my knowledge, I raised the bridge so they couldn't escape, I even killed their donkeys.  I only lowered the drawbridge when there wasn't an elf left in my unit list alive.

Will the elves figure out what happened?

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
Re: Elves, and pissing them off.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 07:49:18 pm »

Yes. Expect protesters outside trying to stop the elf violence. Make them understand police brutality.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 07:59:45 pm »

The bloodthirstiness of a DF player... Really, a battle report like that is usually what you would hear from a Nazi/Japanese officer confessing what atrocities they did back in World War 2.

You know, not that that's a bad thing  :D

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 08:27:11 pm »

They'll send a smaller caravan next year, and they may start ambushing you eventually.  By that time, you should be breeding the giant jaguars you stole from them and just sick them on the elves.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 08:49:03 pm »

Time to break out the dwarven equivalent of teargas and rubber bullets. That is to say, battleaxes and magma. After all, if they come after you, that is just more free stuff for you. Including crappy wooden weapons for your recruits to train with.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:57:22 pm »

I'm thinking about giving my militia commander a stolen elf's spear, from a living elf who's currently caged, and letting him kill the next ambush with it.  I wanna train up his spear skill, but my weaponsmiths suck.  I just wish we had weapon/armor degradation, so that I could put a stockpile of wooden crap outside and my commander could grab one, break it over an elf's head, grab another, etc...

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 12:12:28 am »

I still think elves don't attack unless you are at war with them from world gen onwards.  Running a 25+ year fort, robbed them every year, killed a few (I usually avoid that though since there is nothing more annoying than a stockpile full of wooden flutes of mediocre quality), chop down lots of trees, and keep lots and lots of trees stockpiled.  So far absolutely nothing.

Humans on the other hand get pissed pretty dependably.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 12:17:34 am »

I still think elves don't attack unless you are at war with them from world gen onwards.  Running a 25+ year fort, robbed them every year, killed a few (I usually avoid that though since there is nothing more annoying than a stockpile full of wooden flutes of mediocre quality), chop down lots of trees, and keep lots and lots of trees stockpiled.  So far absolutely nothing.

Humans on the other hand get pissed pretty dependably.

Hey, use magma. Is clean, you get rid of the bodies, the crap wood stuff, and its perfectly safe!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 12:53:58 am »

I never understood elf-hate. Wood, food, cloth, dyes, alcohol: what honestly is not to love? That they hate wooden bins?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 12:56:35 am »

The wood, food, cloth, and dyes.  Booze is good, but dwarves make their own booze.  And everyone else brings booze and food anyways.  The exotic animals are the only real thing, but this pro is outweighed by the con that they're pretentious pretty-boys and damn dirty hippies.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 01:06:36 am »

by now, elves and dwarves (and by extension, the players) are locked in our own version of the 100  Years War. we've hated each other so long we don't want to stop
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 01:12:37 am »

They're like leafblowers.  You love to hate them.  That droll, dull roar outside your window at 9AM on a perfectly sunny Saturday morning, wrenching you from your hungover slumber and exposing you to the light and noise.  If not for the elves to occupy our hate, we might hate other, more dangerous and volatile things.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 01:13:22 am »

The wood, food, cloth, and dyes.  Booze is good, but dwarves make their own booze.  And everyone else brings booze and food anyways.  The exotic animals are the only real thing, but this pro is outweighed by the con that they're pretentious pretty-boys and damn dirty hippies.

That, and also they ask to you limit the cutting of trees and bring that wonderful stuff to trade like that mahogany sword and breastplate that you always wanted for a goblins siege, the lovely piccolos from ash tree logs,all that useful non magma safe cages made of wood. You could buy all that stuff to keep you warm on the winter, but then again, magma is more fun.

Want to see what's the useful stuff they bring? Flood them with magma, and see whats left. What's left is useful.
Also, they are fine in eating sentient species, so they are a bunch of disgusting tree lovers and sentient aters.

On another note, some of us are roleplaying. Althought I get pissed frequently when I'm trading a lot of stuff for food or some rare tamed animals and they got butthurt because I'm offering they steel, a wodden statue of an elf diying or some crap they think involves cutting trees.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 01:25:18 am by arkhometha »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 01:27:52 am »

I love elves. I welcome their natural presence in my fortress. I allow them to share their wondrous gifts with my people.
I am not joking. I never kill the elves.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 01:33:28 am »

I'm pretty ambivalent. Like in many things I serve the interests of my fort first, but I have no particular animosity toward the elves and don't kill them for the sake of killing. In practice I usually buy from them, if only because I want them to carry some of my gazillion bags and mechanisms off the map. And the wood and animals are pretty nice. I don't like woodcutting that much and tend to embark in deserts and mountains.
Memento Mori
Pages: [1] 2 3