Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Did i just encounter the weakest forgotten beast ever?  (Read 8377 times)

Shinsassu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Did i just encounter the weakest forgotten beast ever?
« on: March 09, 2011, 06:13:38 pm »

Too bad i didn't got a screenshot but when i played it i never thought i would share my DF stories but now i'm here because it didn't let me go.
So here it goes:

It was a normal Fortress, with a normal cave, nothing special.
I already waited for a forgotten beast to show up, a squad ready in a near barack, traps laid out.
Then he showed up: A giant blob made out of.. water?
I didn't know what to think. It could have been the strongest or the weakest beast i have ever seen but only time would tell.
So i stationed my nearest squad before the trap line and floodgates and 2 other squads behind just to be save.
The blob was going right to a door i build to keep the smaller cave dwellers out and spotted a civilian loading a cage trap.
He was the perfect test subject to try out what water was in this blob.
After 3 combat report pages of running and pushing around and nearly falling into a nearby underground lake i gave the squad the order to attack.
The dwarf formed a circle around the beast, the squad leader punched him in the face with his shield and... the fight was over. One little whack and the beast was slain.
The dwarf who got pushed around stood up and went back to work.

(sometime later the fort died the fps dead, but this is a whole different story)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Did i just encounter the weakest forgotten beast ever?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 06:19:56 pm »

What do you expect water to do?  Now, I've captured a FB made of dolomite, that one on the other hand...

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:21:38 pm »

Now, if it had noxious blood or venomous dust... taste its FunŽ revenge someday.  :D
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 06:38:17 pm »

Some Forgotten Beasts are made of substances other than flesh. The flesh ones can be butchered. FBs made of more fluid substances (like your watery FB) pretty much fall apart as soon as a dwarf looks at them funny.

Mineral FBs, however, are a glorious pain in the ass.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 06:39:28 pm »

Forgotten beasts made of non-solid non-organic materials (salt, water, snow etc.) are a joke. You can scratch it and kill it.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 06:49:24 pm »

The ones made of fire at least have the courtesy to be proper glass cannons.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 07:02:06 pm »

Oh god, the water wraith. Hated that thing.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 07:11:20 pm »

The music still scares me.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 07:18:45 pm »

I had a flying blob of water once back in .13 that destroyed my fortress. It was unkillable, and every time it attacked, it would cause the cave in special effect. There were dwarf parts everywhar.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 07:34:05 pm »

I had some sort of mud blob that chased a kitten around the map and must have attacked it at least 100 times, but the kitten dodged every single attack, or the attack hit but "glanced away". I didn't actually bother to try and kill the blob. Death would be too good for it. I let it wander off the map in shame.

Not sure what happened to the kitten. I think it came back and got lost in the herd, or some goblins killed it.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 09:15:18 pm »

One beast i had was made of grime? or dirt i think. it was a giant blob with two tails and three eyes. The only time ive managed to kill a FB with ballistae.
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 09:33:46 pm »

Hey, don't take http://images.wikia.com/pikmin/images/6/6f/Waterwraith_-_Valley_of_Repose.jpg lightly...

All dwarves are purple pikmin.

On topic, I have cleared out the HFS with a single miner because the one type of fun that existed in that world was made of steam and had no syndrome.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 10:17:40 pm »

I once had an fb of flame. It died dodging down a z-level from a crundle :P

Yeah, fb's are a crapshoot. You could either have one made of steel that breathes fire and flies, or you can have a blob made of living crap ;D
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 10:20:24 pm »

Today my dwarves fought a giant snail forgotten beast made out of red beryl, and it died from the first shot from a copper crossbow bolt to its body.  I was expecting a critter made out of a gemstone to be a lot tougher, but maybe there is something wrong with the beryl raws that make it weak?
Pages: [1] 2 3