Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "You have discovered a downward passage!"  (Read 1960 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
"You have discovered a downward passage!"
« on: March 09, 2011, 10:19:53 am »

WTF?

... never seen THIS one before.
Never pet a burning dog.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: "You have discovered a downward passage!"
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:21:13 am »

Tunnels connecting the three different cavern layers exist at random locations.  When your dwarves uncover one of them, you get this message.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:23:14 am »

The are currently quite boring, really. Good places to set up cage traps though, I guess.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 12:09:51 pm »

Ahh... I remember the first time I got this message, when I was exploring the first cavern layer. Seeing this small, cramped tunnel slowly be revealed as my dwarves explored around it. It took me a while to muster up the nerve to send a dwarf below, since at that time I had no clue what to expect. For some reason, I find those tunnels oddly atmospheric, even though there's nothing inside them.

...Actually, the fact that they're empty while the rest of the caverns are teeming with life is probably what makes them so creepy to me.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 02:26:22 pm »

First time I got this was in the third cavern, and when I zoomed to the location it was apparently nothing, until I decided to go up.  Apparently I'd discovered it from the other side.  It'd be fun if creatures or strange geology fit in these, like trog nests, or freaky crystal formations or something.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 03:12:46 pm »

I wish there was more "between cavern level" stuff, personally.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 04:04:48 pm »

Those natural vertical tunnels are there so adventurers can traverse between cavern layers without needing a fort to have dug out a pssage for them in advance. In fortress mode, they are just extra decorations to the terrain.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 12:43:37 pm »

Yeah, stuff like a huge vertical shaft filled with X, with X being stuff like crystals, overgrowth, etc would be nice.

Or maybe just shaft with something at the bottom, like magma or water, or an underground forest or something.  I dunno, I miss the chasms, and a big hole would be nifty.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 03:50:22 pm »

Yeah, stuff like a huge vertical shaft filled with X, with X being stuff like crystals, overgrowth, etc would be nice.

Or maybe just shaft with something at the bottom, like magma or water, or an underground forest or something.  I dunno, I miss the chasms, and a big hole would be nifty.
Deep pits are possible too.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Cavern