Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trouble mining, need help pls  (Read 321 times)

kibble

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Trouble mining, need help pls
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:40:43 am »

Hey i just started playing, and I mined into the side of a wall, but I can't figure out how to create lower levels, like 1 or 2 z-layers below. I have my guys build a downstairs -they do that fine- but when i designate them to mine around the stairs they won't. What am I doing wrong?

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble mining, need help pls
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:44:33 am »

You need to designate upstairs below the downstairs first.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:15:10 am »

Yeah stairs are always made using an up stair and a down stair. A down stair occupies a floor tile whilst an up stair occupies a wall tile. So an up stair alone would just lead to a sealed floor and such.
You can build an up/down stair aswell, they'll act as the two together.
Just be sure to build on two or more z levels to make a functional stair.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:16:51 am by Jelle »

kibble

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 10:39:18 am »

Okay so a upstairs has to be built into a wall, i just put in a ramp to get them down there. thanks guys

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 10:44:57 am »

No, you can just mine/build a down-stairs and then directly mine/build up-stairs underneath it. You don't need to make a ramp to reach the tiles designated for mining/building up-stairs from the side, dwarves can do it directly from the down-stairs above them.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.