Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: Quakemortal: Perdition's Gate (Community Fort, Spoilers)  (Read 53842 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Ùshrirtunom (Community Story Fort, Spoilers!)
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2011, 07:20:22 am »

Log of Derm, Hallway.

"Where in the seven hells have you been?!"

Derm turned around, his new armor clinking against the floor.

"I got some new armor." He said.

Zaroz sputtered. "Listen, you need to get back into your bed! The meeting was bad enough, I'm not going to let you-"

There was a click.

"Let me what, doc?"

Zaroz slowly turned around. There was the head of a bolt a few inches away from him.

"Wha- but- YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME!"

"I think I just did. Listen doc, I am sick, and tired, of being fucking taken care of. Every single day people have to bring me food and hell dammed water. My soldiers risk their lives to go out there and kill our enemies and all I do is sit in there and rot! I have had it!"

The crossbow fired. Zaroz felt a chink of stone and dust fell on his head.

Derm lowered the crossbow.

"I am not bleeding. I do not have a disease. I am not fatally injured, nor am I crippled in the head. I really don't care what you have to say at this point, doc. Nothing will keep me from my soldiers!"

There was silence.

"I don't like this, you know."

"Didn't expect ya to, doc. Now lets fill those forms out, eh?"

"Why aren't you using a crutch?"

"Last one that broke drove a splinter into my ass."
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2011, 09:15:35 am »

Could you please post the map on DFMA? I'm going to do a journal update... with screenshots!  :P

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2011, 10:07:16 pm »

Here you go:  Map of Quakemortal circa 232

That's pretty up-to-date with the story, the only thing architecturally inaccurate should be the state of Duck's Guildhall (map doesn't have workshops yet) and the artifact hematite lever that's in Dariush's office.  I hooked that up to the elf-capturing machine by the entrance and assigned it to only Dariush behind a forbidden door, so if it suddenly goes off it was either him or a gremlin.

Uh, nice story-telling! Very creative and impressive.
Can I join? I guess you lack Jewelers Guild there, even finest adamantine sword seems a bit plain without masterwork encrustations...

Thanks!  Your dwarf is an Expert Cutter/Setter.  But how does one decorate weapons with jewels?  I thought it was limited to furniture, goods and ammo?

Hey could we get some information on the pantheon, and which gods our dwarves worship?

I'm glad you approve of the mask :)  Here's the source image, some sort of bronze antique Roman mask of Silenus, a bearded drunk of mythology.  It seemed appropriate.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2011, 11:52:30 pm »

Thanks!  Your dwarf is an Expert Cutter/Setter.  But how does one decorate weapons with jewels?  I thought it was limited to furniture, goods and ammo?
Oops, my mistake... Well, isn't it possible to mod weapon encrustations?
anyway, I'll concentrate on furniture then.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2011, 06:26:43 am »

Upon the ending of the meeting of the chiefs, Kzel went straight back to his office. Once outside the range of curious ears, he let go of the feelings he had contained during the whole afternoon, as he admired the fine adamantine weapons he crafted in the corridor leading to his desk.

"Mad, they're all mad!", he unleashed as he noticed the imperfection in one of the short swords.

"They are, aren't they?", said a familiar voice coming from behind the doors.

"You're back! Good! You know, I feel that you may be the only sensible person left in this whole fortress.", said the happily surprised dwarf. "As if all the demon talk was not enough, they now want to send soldiers to the depths, have them live there, eat there, train there. You and I know the real threat to this fortress has always been goblins and forgotten beasts. It doesn't make sense to waste our best soldiers on guarding a place so far away that all dwarves will be dead before they can reach the attackers."

"Don't forget Dariush's traps, surely they can drive out any invading party.", affirmed the voice.

"Bah, traps are good but won't stop forgotten beasts, won't stop goblins mounted on giant bats.", grumbled Kzel. "The place of soldiers is right at the throat of our enemy, not in the safety of the depths where miners lurk and metalsmiths do their trade."

As he was talking, he was silently sneaking toward the door and had finally reached it. He opened it in a quick motion, his speed and coordination now quite good thanks to the danger room sessions. Hoping to finally discover the talking dwarf, he burst into his office, but as usual found it completely empty.

"You have a message.", said the voice after a few seconds, coming from his weapon stockpile.

"I'll get you one day", promised Kzel. "You can't escape me forever."

As silence was filling the room for long minutes, Kzel finally sighed and got to his office, where a note had been pinned. As he read it, he began to turn red, then rolled his eyes. He jumped when he reached the end, noticing the name of the dwarf who had signed the letter.

"SalmonGod ? What a joke, the dwarf's long dead. I remember his memorial service well, he was struck down by goblins, our fortress's real threat.", laughed Kzel, slightly unnerved.

"I heard a masked dwarf had took on the name.", said the female voice.

"Oh really ? I heard the rumors too, but the mask is supposedly made of adamantine. Surely Aramco wouldn't waste truemetal on a useless headgear piece like a mask. She's too good a smith for that.", replied Kzel.

"The workmanship is of telltale legendary skill, they say...", insinuated the voice.

"Another one of these strange moods I guess. Aramco will get some good help, that's always useful.", answered the smith.

"What about the crossbow improvements the message suggest ?", asked the voice.

"Possible, but useless. Marksdwarves should be behind a protective wall or a line of soldiers clad in steel. Even so, my crossbows are so good you can fire them at point blank range, and they are so sturdy you can parry with them with no risk of breaking the finely tuned mechanism.", boasted the metalsmith.

"So dwarves will never use a melee attachment if they have one added to the crossbow?", wondered the voice.

"Not that I know of. They may if they get a counterstrike, but that's highly situational. As long as they don't run out of bolts, they will keep firing even in melee range.", answered Kzel.

"And what if they run out of bolts?", persisted the inquisitive voice.

"They shouldn't ! I made literally thousands of them !". The dwarf burst out laughing.

"Even if its unlikely to be used, a melee option could be good if the soldiers are cut off from bolt supplies...", said the mysterious dwarf.

"Did you write this note ? You're awfully persistent. Then again, you always are...", said Kzel, fetching some stone slab from under his desk. "Fine, fine, you've usually had pretty good ideas, so I'll give it a go.", yielded the dwarf.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2011, 08:15:24 am »

"What a weird place. As if demons, voices-in-the-head and hole to hell wasn't enough, there're now weirdos in adamantine masks running around. We really should cut the access to adamantine so people won't waste it on something like this...", thought I as I was going to sleep yesterday. Immediatly after closing my eyes I was greeted by a nightmare.

Ahead of me was a huge hall with glowing floor. About 20 meters ahead stood a dwarf in a full adamantine armor who looked suspiciously like me. Ahead of him on a patch of bare stone stood an ass fiend and two glimmering ghosts seemingly made of ash.

Stand aside, sounded a booming demonic voice.

"Never", answered my look-alike with my own voice. "I've resisted you before and I'll do it again!"

Fool. Last time we've sent an apprentice. This time we came armed for bull.

"I don't fear you!", shouted the dwarf and out of thin air produced a vicious adamantine battleaxe and a shield.

So be it. We came in peace, but we'll take what belongs to us!

With those words the demons charged, and the stone beneath them moved along. They were terribly fast, but my twin was faster. With two swift hits he hacked the fiend apart, just as one of the ghosts floated near and within a moment piece of the dwarf's mail along with a chunk of his flesh was ripped out with horrific force. The warrior stumbled, then recovered, hacked off a ghost's wing and ran toward me.

As he approached, I somehow understood that he wasn't simply my twin with my own voice - he was me. Or rather, me as I often wanted to see myself - the ugly scar across my nose that I earned in childhood fight was gone, the eyes were gleaming with fierce energy instead of slight madness, the features much more attractive than in reality. Before me stood my subconcious.

He started shouting once he was sure I would hear him. His words at first did not make any sense, yet still I strained to listen and understand through a haze of sudden pain within my abdomen, where my twin was bleeding.

"Quick! Get out of your bed! Get the mask! I won't be able to hold them off for very long!"

"What mask?..", though I. "Is he talking about the madman I saw yesterday?..."

Yet even as I was thinking it, I felt my body pick itself up and move out of my quarters. It was a strange feeling - simultaneously feeling myself fighting the monstrosities in this place and move through familiar halls. From my real body I heard a shout, followed by sound of running steps. Apparently it was me. Simultaneously my subconsious got a bash from one of ghosts that sent it flying across the strange glowing floor. As he hit the floor, I felt my fingers dig against strange squirming flesh, experiencing strange burning. My other hand was hitting something alternately hard and soft. As the ghosts neared to my twin before my eyes, my twin behind my feelings got something that felt like hair in his right hand and something suddenly cold and metallic in his left. One horrifying moment later - and the dwarf on the floor was lying in three pieces just as my conciousness clouded and fled somewhere far...

Still through the clouded eyes I saw the corridor that led to my quarters. In front of was lying a dwarf whose head I was bashing against the wall, but whose face, despite the strange burn scars, was still recongnizable as SalmonGod's. In my other hand I was holding an adamantine mask.

WAKE UP!, screamed a voice in my head.

The mist in my eyes immediatly dissipated, but not in my head. Through a hazed mind, still clutching the mask, I realized that I was going through unusually quiet and empty corridors toward the lever room. Toward...

As I pulled the lever that opened the cursed gate, I immediatly heard a mind-splitting cry from below. Hundreds of demons rushed through the entrance. In the same mindless stumble I went to the stairs leading down to hell. On the way I saw hordes of demons flooding into the fortress. None touched me, however. In a beastial joy they went up to entrance hall, up, up and out...

I didn't know why I didn't fall down the stairs. However, when I finally got to hell, I realized why the corridors were so deserted.

Everyone was there - Olin, my children, all other dwarves... dead. As I saw them, despair filled my mind, imaged of me pulling the same lever not so long ago, letting the demons massacre us, pulling the lever that operated the spear in the danger room, pulling the lever... No. I did not do it.

In a flash of clarity, I saw everything clearly again. This was all a lie, a dream that demons conjured to kill me. Everyone was still alive and I was lying in my bed, having nightmares. The mask in my hand glowed, feeling my body with warmth. Such revelation made me want to jump and laugh with joy, and only then did I notice the lone demon standing among the bodies. An eyeless dog face - Impersonat's dog's face - neared with leap-like strides and grinning demon struck me with it's hand, sending me across the pit and to it's other side. I was falling, falling with the only hold far out of reach, and as the laughing dog face appeared above me I did the only thing I could do.

I pulled on the mask.

Zaroz said they found me thrashing around my bedroom, smashing things and pulling imagined levers. They could only wait until I snapped out of it myself and as I finally did, someone claimed that I was clutching an adamantine mask in my hand which immediatly disappeared. Nobody believed him. Still, right now I'm going to Overseer's office to order a supply of such masks for everyone in the fortress. We won't lose anyone else to demons' lies.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:10:38 am by Dariush »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2011, 12:36:53 pm »

Personal Notes of Peregarrett

I start thinking that it wasn't so brilliant idea to move here. First it was all fine, I just heard of some place where precious adamantine can be mined like a copper, and said to myself - Aha! It's a greatest challenge in the world, I could cut gems that can fit adamantine and encrust it properly, revealing it's inner structure! An I moved it.
But now things aren't so beautiful. This treasures attract thieves and brigands - I mean goblins. No one can feel safe walking outside.
Though our defences are numerous and well-crafted we don't feel safe even inside - knowing those goblins, they can penetrate it by just mobbing. A lot of trap fodder, but it's quite acceptable for their dark natures.
But much worse than outsde dangers is the INSIDE danger. There's something completely wrong with dwarves that live here. Something mystical happens here costantly. Nightmares, bad moods, strange desease... People say about demons from bottomless burning pit deep under magma sea, and they say that demons want... US! I never was brave enough to investigade what's really going on...
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2011, 01:12:26 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Recruit Sammy was caught alone near the alligator pond gathering a dead goblin's clothes to wear when the invaders stepped out from behind the trees and carried out the favored goblin attack of firing a volley of missiles and fleeing as fast as they could afterward.

He slew them all with the whip he'd learned to use well, but not before the bolts injured him badly.  One of them stuck from his stomach, the wound small, but incredibly deep.  His nose cracked open from a goblin's punch, he stumbled to the fort blindly and fell down in the entrance hall, from where he was carried to the hospital.

Doctor Zaroz took one look at the wound and shook his head.  "This wound is far too grave," he said in sad tones.  "I'm sorry, Sammy."

"Sorry for what?" Sammy said.  "Fix it."

"Sammy..." the Doctor said.  He looked at the wound, thinking:  He's got a year at most.  That hole is there for good.

"I'll get some bandages, hold on," he said to his patient, and went off to search for a piece of shining blue cloth.

Kzel found himself intrigued by the prankster's note, and as he walked to his forge on the morning of Barony Day, he mulled the idea over. a prototype crossbow modded to better serve in close combat, either with extra weight to the stock (making them war hammers) or with a blade built as part of the stock itself for makeshift use as a very short spear.  Both ideas were intriguing, if impractical.  Weighting the stocks would be a simple matter, but either option would be extraordinarily difficult to achieve without interfering with the firing of the bow or causing catastrophic damage to the weapon after striking.  Unless magnificently done, the result would be an unwieldy weapon useless at any range, and with that in mind, he intended to practice his craft.

Kzel realized he'd need the assistance and advice of at least a High Master Bowyer.  Fortunately, he happened to know one:  Chief Broccoli, the dwarf who'd commissioned the ballista bolts.  It was the wrong day to ask him anything, though, being the anniversary of his dog's death and the forgotten beast attack and all.  Speaking of forgotten beasts, there seemed to be an epidemic of them here, as Kzel's thoughts were presently interrupted by some unspeakable salt pig standing at the other end of the hall.

At least, it certainly seemed like a pig made of salt.

It broke the door down to Aramco's former quarters, and in a twisted repeat of history, an axedwarf who now lived inside was quickly but loudly stomped to death.

Soon they had all assembled:  The Army, the Fortress Guard, the two crossbow squads and Jacen's recruits, all gathered around those quarters that seemed to invite the darkness, with the noted absence of Derm (later reported to have fallen asleep drunk in the Dining Hall at the time).  Those dwarves for whom this would be their second time confronting a demon inside would glance at the door ever so often and shudder, inwardly or not.

Sethrist arrived in a rage widely projected around him, and in a threateningly low whisper demanded to know how the demon got in unnoticed.  The gate had been opened while the guards were grabbing new gear, he was told.  Shame fell on the face of the Guard Captain.

"We'll deal with it later," the Overseer said.  "Everyone, prepare yourselves."

Fifty dwarves readied their gear, the finest in all the known world, envy of all who encountered it be they friend or foe, and Kzel looked on in silent respect.  Six of them were using his new whips, whose efficacy had been well tested against the goblins, but never against... well, against whatever it was that was in there.

"I know it is here," issued a scathing voice from the dark, like nails scratching against a stone slab.  "The one who escaped from us.  Which of it is you?"

"Do not admit it any fear," the Overseer said.  He lifted a spear in the air, Kzel noticing with some dismay that Sethrist was not using his old masterpiece.  Then he wondered:  Do forgotten beasts talk?

A soldier kicked open the door, and they all swept inside, their cloaks billowing behind them.  Kzel could only hear the battle, and it was over before long:  a yelping dog, a shrieking, maddened squeal, then a silence, long and sullen.

Kzel admired the returning soldiers with a mixture of pride and relief.  Every one was safe, and with this latest distraction dealt with, he could get back to work with an untroubled mind.

Meanwhile, far above, close to the surface, a bone carver completed a shameful and distasteful (but unquestionably well-made) artifact.  He claimed to not know what he was doing at the time, that the influence was of a strange, compelling voice that tasted of salt.

Rimtar's Journal, Obsidian 4th

One of Jacen's squad members, the mother who brought her child into the Danger Room with predictably tragic results, was seen babbling throughout the halls a few hours ago, unaware of anything around her.  As we all deal with tragedy in different ways, the father has sufficed with destroying his face in an act of self-mutilation by welding to it an adamantine mask left on Aramco's forge overnight.

He refuses to speak to anyone and spends most of any given day in his quarters, but insists on maintaining his military duties.  I've let him continue to act in that fashion but I've taken the squad off duty until Olin and I find some way to help him, or at least ascertain he is still capable of serving as Captain.  A dwarf is given power not for his sanity, but for his usefulness.

Speaking of that, Derm spent most of the year crawling around on the ground collecting new gear from various stockpiles around the fort and then locked himself in the Danger Room, insisting he was too out of practice.  I wish him the best, I just hope it makes him feel better.  His pride won't show it, but he must be quite out of sorts about the whole unable-to-stand thing.

With the last wave of migrants and the hard work of our long-term personnel, we have at our disposal many artisans of various trades.  A Mason's Guild is slowly forming out of the union of stoneworkers who'd erected the surface walls of the fort.  Every day they turned raw stone into lovely crafts for admiration and trade.

And we now have a Chief Jeweler named Peregarrett.  I understand Kzel is after him for some clear glass window, and I wouldn't mind a few of those myself.  Gemstone windows are great, but not for seeing through.

Spoiler: Peregarrett (click to show/hide)

Let's see... Oh yes!  Olin gave birth two weeks before schedule, and the baby is fine.  Her name is Zefon and she's quite the chubby little thing.

I saw her after a meeting with Kulet, who in turn had been seeing our visiting liaison.  As more and more of our wealth is sent to the Mountainhome, our holdings have increased and we are to be an official Duchy.  I can remember a time when Sethrist and I would have found joy in that news, but those lighter days have ended.  Now it is only reminding me that we live a lie, one that has gone on too long.

We've agreed that the knowledge of the demons and our conflict with them is to be made public knowledge.  We have demonstrated our might in withstanding them, our wealth by our trade output, and our comfort by the smiles and laughter of the children who play in our halls and our courtyards.

We maintain a pleasant illusion to encourage its reality.  And that, in short, is why me must succeed here.

The months ticked away.  More and more made the journey to Quakemortal, some for riches, some for glory, some out of duty or loyalty to the Lanterns of Hail, but whatsoever for, droves of them came.  The surrounding lands became filled with smaller settlements, dwarves of the hills finding the warm, iron-rich forests to be all the more idyllic in the vicinity of a fortress whose efforts were legend back in the Mountainhomes.  It also attracted traders, dignitaries, and most unfortunately for their secret's safety, adventure seekers.

The Fortress Guard was stationed at the gate of Cudgelromance to protect the workers during the rebuilding of a drawbridge and the shaping of new walls.  They were on the lookout for any sign of attack when they noticed a human in leather coming down the stairs with a look of extreme wonder.

"Good heavens, noble dwarves!" said the human.  A shoddy bow lay strapped to his back.  "The Underworld!" he cried.  "The rumors were true!"

"What the fuck is he doing here?" said the Overseer to the guards, striding over.  "The caravan left seven days ago!"

"Ah yes, my contract ran up with them."  The bowman pulled the bow from around his back.  "But I have here a fellow traveller of lands who has agreed to carry my food and spoils for a fee!"  He waved at a second human who was towing a pack mule, who cheerfully waved back.

"To adventure, then!"  The human raised his fist in triumphant confidence and led the hired merchant outside the gates and into the Underworld.

Sethrist followed them hesitantly out of the gate.  "You can't stay out here.  We have to close this gate --"

"By the gods!" cried the bowman.  "How do you not marvel at the scenery!"  The archer turned, saluted, and he and the merchant went on their way through the dire cave and to whatever fate would await them.

Sethrist sat there for some time.  "Damn them," he muttered, and knowing he could ask no one else to take such a foolish mission, he pulled down the guard of his helmet and crept down the hill after them.  "Sir!" yelled a dwarf.  It was Atir, legendary Bone Carver and Ranger of renown, who made most of his own bolts.  "Sir, we are coming with you," he said, when a massive shape snaked up and out of the nearby chasm and flipped him into the air like a coin.  Up, then down, down, down he went, disappearing into a speck against the vast churning vortex of light below.  The laughing fiend, a colossal earwig with an emerald exoskeleton, flew into the pit after the Hunter, chattering and snapping its mandibles as it vaulted into the swirling red endlessness.

Sethrist fell to his knees.  Another dwarf dead in front of him.  No chance to even fight the foe responsible.  Killed for no reason, a meaningless death, or whatever other horror lay in that deepest pit that he still could not peer into.  He pounding on the ground.  His hands instantly throbbed, wracked through the adamant gauntlet by the insidious, impenetrable stone of this place, until his bruised fists ached and his body sank to the ground as bones threatened to break.

My room?  Sethrist thought.  When did I go to my room?

He tried to focus.  This can't be right, he thought.  I'm not in my room.  This isn't my table, it's..."

Sethrist tried to think through the oppressive fog surrounding his thoughts.  Something outside was trying to subdue them in their tracks.  His vision swam in and out of his perception like he was trapped in a dream, half-awake but fully aware, trying to get out.  Slowly, as if emerging from quicksand, he saw clearly, and stood up.  He felt for his weapon, swooned with relief by finding it.

Taking a few unsteady steps, lost without a clue of where to go, he scanned around for the tallest cliff he could find.  After a few minutes of cautious travel, he had claimed the top of the precipice, and from there, he could see for miles around into the glowing horizon.

He felt the stare upon him even before the weight of it sent him to his knees, and he felt his face dragged forward, out of his control, to face the great open abyss below.  Licks of flame scraped along the edge of the hill where old magma still burned in its own heat.

An insistent voice slithered into his mind from alien angles.  "Come," it called him.  "Come to your home.  We await!"  His thoughts became shards of fear and pain so base he'd have cried out if that compelling force had allowed.  Suddenly, desperately, he wished to jump, only the awareness of the madness of it holding him still.  And then, when all but the faintest hope of escape had gone out of him, he thought, "Help.  Someone, anyone, help."

There was a chorus of twisted laughter, empty and cruel, but it was drawn short, replaced by a quiet stillness that took hold of the entire area.  Even the sound of the falling magma in the distance fell to naught.

In his mind he saw one mass of forces storming against another in an endless duel.  The proximity of it led his sight alongside it through unnumbered cosmos, the pasts and presents folding together like a stack of cards to fan out in a spiral of existence, and around it all, the futures that could yet play out, they that could not be without a mind to make them come about.

He saw shadows, skeletons.  They danced like twinning puppets to the call of a gaunt and spidery figure, weaving a darkness so pitch and deep all light would smother within it, and somehow, Sethrist felt it was grinning. 

The quiet seemed to deepen with every moment.  There were other shapes at work, struggling against the darkness, like spiders themselves, but colored, with forms and hues that varied with each flickering moment within the vision of eternity.  They threw themselves at the terrible spindling menace around each reality, but neither end would budge from their violent and flashing waltz across time.

Sethrist thought, We do not fight alone.

There was a battle, unseen, unfolding beyond the world itself, and Quakemortal and the Demons themselves were but a fractional part of it, the dogs of war for generals above not awareness nor even comprehension, but understanding.

The stare had passed over him, to gaze on the clashing of forces unfolding betwixt the stings of time, and so too the vision faded, leaving Sethrist feeling alone again within the blankness of the Underworld.  The abyss still called, but not for him; Now, instead of allure there was anger, fierce and directed out.

He knew not how long he walked, or where, but he eventually found Cudgelromance, easy to spot with its tall, straight staircase leading back to the stone above.  With great relief, he knelt down on the jagged rocks and glared down at the Pit.

Now I know what we'll do, he thought, hoping the malevolence of the pit would hear.  We'll train an army to best your hordes and conquer every loathsome inch of this place.  We'll seal off your caverns and pits.

There, on the highest hill, we'll erect a great monument to the Gods.  And then, when you and your demons are vanquished and sealed out of the world once again, we'll flood this barren cave with the waters above, expose it to the surface and grow sunberries in the patch of light.

The grass and moss will grow on these hills of stone, animals will graze.  Fish will swarm the lakes we build here.  Children will laugh and play on smooth slade in perfect safety.  We deny you your right to Hell.  War is with you.

Sethrist journeyed to Cudgelromance with purpose in his steps, the vision remaining with him.  There is so much to do, he thought.

Messages to the Chiefs of Staff from Manager Rimtar

Guildmaster Duck:  The time has come to choose a name for the Guildhall, as a few of your eager apprentices are flooding my inbox with suggestions.  I believe at least one of them was from an elf; the handwriting is strange and loopy and makes an unsuitable comment about your lineage.  Their suggested name, incidentally,

"SalmonGod":  Olin tells me you haven't reported to therapy yet.  Please don't make me order you to it.

Dariush:  Sethrist wants some kind of water pumping system set up to draw water from the river and create an aqueduct around the fort.  He also requests that the pump be easily redirected through a series of floodgates so that the water can be routed in other directions, namely, down.

powpow

• Bay Watcher
  • (UTC+10:00) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2011, 03:10:33 am »

"MWAHAHAH *COUGH* thats what you get when goblins get between me and my cloths HA HA my skill with the whip is improving nicely, took down 5 gobbos but got a bolt in the stomach." sammy thinks to himself

at that moment Dr Zaroz walks in "do you need anything? water? food?"
"aye, some water please" wispered sammy dryly
"be back in a moment."
moments later Zaroz produces a bucket of water and hands it to sammy who greedily guzzles it down.
"more water please" asks sammy again
"umm sure...be back in moment" Zaroz leaves and brings another bucket of water and again sammy drinks it down
"MORE im still thirsty"
"how can he still be thirsty?" the docter thinks to himself as he goes and aquires another bucket of water

this repeats 5 more times until Zaroz finnally notices something, a pool of water around sammy's bed.

"MORE WATER DAMIT IM DYING OF THIRST HERE"
"i think i know why you're still thirsty" says Zaroz pointing in the direction of sammy's stomach
"ah..er.yeah you should probaly bandage this up first" sammy said with a grin on his face
"yes maybe i should"Zaroz says with a smile also.

( my second attempt at writing)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2011, 09:48:25 am »

Clear glass window, you say? But... It's glassmaker's duty, isn't it?
Oh, of course I can take globs of raw clear glass, cut it into strict symmetrical shape and make window of them.. But do not expect seeing too much through it.

But I want to talk about Guild Halls. Current locations of Jeweller's workshops are highly uneffective. I don't see gem's workshop there, and it's hard to get what we're ordered to encrust.
So, I request the separate location of guild halls - there should be workshops, storage pile for cut and rough gems. And under or above each shop there should be a room for stockpiling items being engraved. I've made a small sketch...
Code: [Select]
Z=0
#############
#JJJ#JJJ#JJJ#
#JJJ#JJJ#JJJ#
#JJJ#JJJ#JJJ#
## ### ### ##
#   X   X   #
#### ### ####
#     #     #
# Bed # Hall#
#     #     #
#############

Z=+-1
#############
#           #
# Items     #
# Stock     #
#           #
#   X   X   #
#### ### ####
#           #
# Gem Stock #
#           #
#############
J is workshops, X is stairs.
Bed is my personal bedroom, Hall is dining room with table and chair
I'd be greatly appriciated if Guild Hall had some gem clusters in walls, or mineral vein passing across the ceiling...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:28:30 pm by peregarrett »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2011, 12:40:06 pm »

Have you built my capturing machine yet? I just realized that the design I've used was a horribly inefficient one :(

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2011, 02:55:45 pm »

I did build it, and even if it won't be great at capturing merchants, it's a good "final hurrah" for invasions should the other defenses somehow get breached.  There's plenty of room for a new device if you want to come up with one.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2011, 03:27:58 pm »

OOC:
We'll train an army to best your hordes and conquer every loathsome inch of this place.  We'll seal off your caverns and pits.

There, on the highest hill, we'll erect a great monument to the Gods.  And then, when you and your demons are vanquished and sealed out of the world once again, we'll flood this barren cave with the waters above, expose it to the surface and grow sunberries in the patch of light.

The grass and moss will grow on these hills of stone, animals will graze.  Fish will swarm the lakes we build here.  Children will laugh and play on smooth slade in perfect safety.  We deny you your right to Hell.  War is with you.
HELL YEAH!!! 8) Greatly appreciating!

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2011, 06:36:05 pm »

Carpenter's Log:
Sabotage!

Construction of our Guildhall was coming along nicely, until SOMEBODY went and ruined the floors! And I'm pretty sure I know who it was: those stuck-up elves. They acted all offended when I tried to ask for their advice on carpentry, and then the next morning the floor of our Guildhall was ruined. Coincidence? I think not.

The elves like to talk about saving the trees, but it's just that: talk. After all, don't they bring caravans loaded with logs and wooden goods? And surely they know that ruining the floor means we'll have to replace it, leading to even more dead trees. This obviously isn't about saving the trees. It's about their bottom line.

The elves have a monopoly on fine wooden goods, and our Guild threatens it. But we shall not be deterred! The Guildhall WILL be completed.

We will master crutches. We will learn the secrets of wooden weapons and armor. We will produce the finest beds, barrels, and bins that the world has ever seen. We will beat the elves at their own game.

To show the world that we will not be cowed by elven intimidation, I am planning to formally dedicate the new Guildhall in a grand ceremony. Rimtar has been asking me about a name for a while now, and I have at last decided on one:

Dákevonangrir.

The name translates roughly to "Crusher of Tree-Lovers." It will tower above the Musical Swamp, drawing all the finest dwarven carpenters where we shall work together to master our craft and ensure the economic destruction of the elves. And when we triumph, Dákevonangrir will be like a boot stamping on the elven race, forever.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2011, 07:18:05 am »

Aaall right, elf miscellanous friendly creatures captor v2.0!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14