Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Quakemortal: Perdition's Gate (Community Fort, Spoilers)  (Read 53840 times)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: Ùshrirtunom (Community Story Fort, Spoilers!)
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2011, 06:27:13 pm »

I hope the new version is out soon too.  I don't want you to feel unused, I want Derm back on his feet... or at least moving around.  <_<

I haave a plan though.  Derm's still in all his gear and I want to build a Danger Room with him in it, since he should still get the benefit of the training even though he's stuck in "Rest" mode.  A few problems: every time I remove his bed, the dwarves come and move him to a different one in the hospital.  I can't disable the hospital or they'll move him to his bedroom.  Even so, I don't think they'll build an upright spear where a dwarf is laying because of the 'creature blocking site' thing.

The only thing I can think of is building the Danger Room for the most part, getting Derm in there somehow, and triggering a cave-in, so that the dust moves him to cover an upright spear.  Forbidding his bedroom and deactivating the hospital should keep the dwarves from moving him.  Then the last spear or two can be set up and Derm's personal training can begin.  I'm gonna try building a spear where he's laying first.

It might take a while, but I'll make sure Derm serves with honor again.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2011, 06:29:21 pm »

And the training squad lives to see another day! Good storytelling, by the way. I was kinda worried I would get fired when the axedwarf died.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2011, 07:39:09 pm »

Derm is still the military commander of the fort. Even bedridden he has duties and decisions to attend to, especially considering the new front.

Kzel's Journal, Entry 15

Finally, my efforts have been rewarded. I can't recall how many hours I have spent studying the whip's finer details, how many bars I used in failed attemps. But now, the secret of the whip is mine. I dare even say I improved upon the original goblin design, the fine workmanship of the pieces and the perfectly interlocking elements combine to make the weapon even more deadly tshat I thought possible. Soon, I will know glory and be remembered for all eternity, as I write down the precise steps that took me so long to discover. Once ready, I will share my knowledge with all of dwarfkind, have my name hailed in all weaponsmithing schools. I have time enough, the next caravan won't be here for several months.

The identity of the mysterious person that has visited me regularly still eludes me. I have to admit that she was of great help in my research, making me look in directions I had not even bothered consider before. Her initial suggestion of demonic intervention was but the first of many others, all of them forcing me out of my usual train of thoughts. Without her, I would have probably never understood the importance of silver in the chain links, and many other fine details that if unknown lead only to failure. Now that the military is almost fully equipped and my studies are finished, I can devote time to finally uncovering who she is. No doubt she has experience in metal crafts, so that should narrow down the list somewhat. I only wish she wasn't so shy as to never show herself once.

I noticed Sethrist has put away my masterpiece and took up an adamantine spear instead. I understand better than anyone that truemetal is superior to even the finest steel masterwork, so I won't mention it to him, but it does make me somewhat sad. I hope my first true success will not be relegated to some weapon rack where it won't ever be used.

I'll leave up to you whether the voice was a demon, a very shy dwarf or just Kzel's imagination. My preference for Kzel's sake goes to the second of course.

The quarters are very good, don't worry if it doesn't follow the design to the letter, Kzel got a better office out of it :)

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2011, 08:01:01 pm »

Carpenter's Log:

I got a visit from Captain Wordlenses today.

"Duck," she said, "I wanted to ask you a few questions about the murder we had recently."

"Murder?" I asked her. "What murder? Who died?"

"Kumil Kalansazir," she said, "one of our soldiers. His death appeared to be a freak accident, but the Overseer and I agree that it was probably foul play."

"What does this have to do with me?" I asked. "If birds were involved, maybe you should try aski--"

She rudely interrupted me: "He was killed by a wooden spear."

"Ha! I knew it!" I said, triumphantly. "Kzel was saying that wood could never make a good weapon, and laughing at me for carrying around this sword. But this certainly shows him!"

"That's kind of insensit--"

"I bet it makes good armor, too," I continued. "I can definitely make a wooden shield to carry around, but I'll have to trade with the elves for a suit of wooden armor."

"Okay, but I need to--"

"Of course, I bet I could make better armor than the elves if only I knew how. I've just got so much to do with the crutches and the guildhall (which is coming along quite nicely, I think we can put some workshops in there now) and--"

She interrupted me again: "Duck, we need to get back the subject at hand: the murder."

"Oh, yes, the murder. What about it?"

"I was wondering what you could tell me about this wooden spear," she said, placing a weapon on my desk. I examined it. It was not very well-crafted, but it was certainly deadlier than anything I can make.

"We definitely didn't make it," I told her. "Only the elves can make this sort of thing."

"I know that," said the Captain. "But do you have any records about who may have requisitioned it? I know the guild keeps a lot of records."

"We keep records of all the wooden objects we produce, as well as everything obtained through trade. If anyone requisitioned this, we'll have a record of it. I'll tell the guild secretary to let you look through our archives."

"Thanks," she said. "It's likely that the culprit didn't obtain this legally, but maybe your records can at least help us figure out when the spear was taken. And if there is no record of this weapon," she continued, her face turning grim, "then we'll know that there is an illegal weapons trade going on."

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2011, 09:54:58 pm »

Did you mod in a new reaction for crafting whips?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2011, 11:27:39 pm »

SalmonGod wanders the halls of Ushrirtunom for a few days, observing the forces at work in this place.  He recognizes more and more the extreme stakes riding on the safety of these dwarves.  Massive forces from above and below ground constantly exert pressure on one another, and these hairy creatures are caught in the middle, clueless but key the barries kept between them.  As he drifts disembodied, he witnesses citizens speaking with dark presences, unaware of the nature of their conversants.  He never observes these for long, as a feeling of dread washes over him whenever those demons become aware of him.  He witnesses the growth of the adamantine armory.  The construction of his tower.  He is present at the beginning of a great battle, where he gives Catten, one of his most prized war animals, the nudge of encouragement needed to send her into the fight when need is dire.  He then flees, a fugitive in this spirit realm, who dare not confront the demons directly.  It's clear that there is still a place and a need for him here.  He need only find a way.

His affinity for the blue metal grows as he depends on it for retaining this limbo state of being.  This affinity leads him to another, a dwarf who attracts and is attracted to adamantine like a bee to pollen, seemingly as a nature of his very being.  He's also strong, just as the beastmaster once was.  The thread SalmonGod carries seems to guide him to this individual.  It's hard not to be drawn into this body when he drifts close enough to it.  He taps into this subject's senses and thoughts, and can sense the unease but otherwise unawareness as he does so.  SalmonGod almost feels whole again.  His being fits so perfectly into this body.  It's like it was destined to be... except... its original inhabitant has a family...

SalmonGod is able to separate again, with some effort.  It evokes a panic attack in the hapless dwarf, but the nature of it is completely lost to Mayor Olin.  SalmonGod roams the halls some more, agonizing over the decision he faces.  He knows that there can be no better way to once again take a place among these people.  He also becomes aware that he is fading... too much time is passing, and his essence is slowly dissipating like blood in water.  One day, he follows a curious procession down to the deeper levels of the fort.  To go this deep without succumbing to demonic influence is quite draining, but worth it to witness what happens. 

A gate.  They open a gate to the underworld.  They know, and they intend to fight.  Yet, they don't know that without the sheet of adamantine to keep them contained, the ensuing clash of energies from above and below will envelope this place like a fiery cyclone.  They must be warned, and he must be present in the struggles ahead.  It must be done.  Family or not, he must take this body for himself. 

The only question is how.  He can't possibly kill a husband and father and then lie to his family about it by assuming his life.  Yet if he doesn't, it will be obvious to everyone what has happened, and he'll be regarded as a monster.  SalmonGod thinks on this for some time, before deciding on a course of action.

He waits in Aramco's workshop.  He waits until a time when no one is near except for her.  He watches her work for a while... still uncomfortable with what he is about to do.  Then, she hears a voice.  A dwarven voice.  No sense of pressure or dread accompanies it as with the demons.  "Aramco... Aramco I need you."

Aramco startles and looks around, bewildered and nearly panicked by this after her experience with the demon that invaded her quarters.  "Who are you?!  Show yourself!"

SalmonGod does his best to apparate... something he had not tried yet, but he'd seen the demons do it.  He manages a barely visible whisp of blue, resembling a dwarven face before her.  "SalmonGod.  I'm not dead.  Well... I am.  But with your help, not for much longer." 

"SalmonGod?!  How?!  Have you been dealing with those things?  Please tell me..."

"No.  In fact, I have fought them in what small ways I can.  I've never left this place.  I've seen how important it is.  I want to do more, but I need to be real again.  I need your help for that."

Aramco sits and folds her arms suspiciously.  "And how can I trust that you're not here on behalf of those monstrousities that lurk beneath us?  That invaded my personal quarters!  How are you here?!"

"Shh... lower your voice!  No one else must know until I return in full form.  It's thanks to Zaroz.  I took a bolt to the chest, and he stitched it up with adamantine.  It was supposed to be a secret.  I don't know why he used the stuff instead of standard medical sutures, but I owe my life to it, if you can call it that.  Something about that stuff... it's... spiritually inert.  There are powers at work in this place, and they have influence over everything except the adamantine.  That thread which was woven into me... it rooted me here.  It allowed me to stay, even after my body was killed.  I think I can come back completely... but I need more."

"You need what?"

"I need a mask.  Listen very closely.  We can't screw this up.  I need a full mask of purest adamantine.  Let no one else know of this.  Leave it here for me and leave the forges burning at a time when you are sure no one else is nearby.  Then leave.  I will be watching.  If you do this for me, I will walk amongst you again.  You have to trust me.  I know you weren't there, but ask the commander about a leopard that lept into the fight with the demons at the sabotage incident.  That was me.  If you don't do this for me soon, though, I'm going to fade away.  My fate is in your hands."

The room empties and is silent.  Aramco is left alone to decide.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2011, 07:38:41 am »

I want something interesting to happen to me, there's nothing to base my journal off :(
I guess an equipment of full adamantine (don't forget plate mail ;)) with a year or two of training inside the Danger Room would be a suitable change of pace :)
Also, since this last update I stopped understanding how are underworld, caves and the fort are interconnected. Does the hole from caves lead straight into hell? If yes, why didn't the demons attack you yet? And how did you get down there past the demon-infested caves anyway?

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
  • Right in the goddamn FACE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2011, 03:18:48 pm »

"Congratulations!" Lor said as I washed Kumil's blood from my beard."So what's it like having a daughter?"

"A daughter?" I turned to face the gargoyle. "I have a daughter?"

"You didn't see her yet?"

"There was an accident in the danger room. Figured I'd clean myself a bit before seeing the kid."

"Ah right, the elven spear."

"You knew!? Who placed it!? Why did't you tell me!?"

"The answers to those questions are, in no specific order: 'Because it's fun to see things get impaled by a stick','Of course' and 'It wouldn't be fun if I told you now would it?'"

I grabbed my hammer. "You will tell me or else-"

"Oh cut the crap. You can't hurt-

The Siege Engineer bashes The Gargoyle in the head with his war hammer and the severed part sails off in an arc!

It was silent for a few seconds. The second gargoyle came to life.

"Violence won't get you anywhere, you know."

"Tell me!"

"Make me."

The Siege Engineer bashes The Gargoyle in the body with his war hammer!
The Gargoyle crumbles to dust.

The voice reappeared in my head

"Feel better now?" It asked.

I did, actually. Destroying furniture appearantly has a very calming effect.

The voice continued: "Let's face it: I'm not gonna tell you how that spear ended up in the danger room. Just be glad you weren't the one who got turned into a dwarven shishkebob and forget about it."

I thought about this for a while before putting down my hammer and mumbling a quick "Don't keep secrets from me."
I washed up and went to see my daughter.
If sad, apply kittens.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2011, 02:34:06 am »

Did you mod in a new reaction for crafting whips?

That's right, I replaced the bronze making by ore reaction, as there's no such ore on site.

I want something interesting to happen to me, there's nothing to base my journal off :(
I guess an equipment of full adamantine (don't forget plate mail ;)) with a year or two of training inside the Danger Room would be a suitable change of pace :)
Also, since this last update I stopped understanding how are underworld, caves and the fort are interconnected. Does the hole from caves lead straight into hell? If yes, why didn't the demons attack you yet? And how did you get down there past the demon-infested caves anyway?

Interesting, eh?  I'll see what I can do.  :-D

The pit and the new gate are some distance away from each other.  The demons were in the third-level cavern, so I took the opportunity to build a staircase down from the draining magma sea, and expanded from there.  I kept an eye on the demons the whole time, but they didn't path back down into Hell, so I'm guessing they're too far away.

Here's a screenshot showing the relative positions:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll go into more detail with the narrative.  There should be an update tomorrow.

(a typographic edit)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:37:50 am by SethCreiyd »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2011, 09:04:45 am »

*Version 31.22*

DERM HOBBLES AGAIN!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2011, 01:02:13 am »

The meeting was held in a new hall specifically dug so the nobles could talk with each other in confidence.  Guards stood outside the entrances to ensure that no one would bother or overhear them.

They sat at a large siltstone table covered in maps and diagrams.  The Captain of the Guard stood leaning over the table and pointed at the various sketched out landmarks.  She explained in muted tones.  "The masons and miners were securing a new source of adamantine only to discover the vein quickly hollowed out to the fiery caverns below.

Mayor Olin looked startled.  "I hope that doesn't mean what I think it does."

"It does, I'm afraid," Rimtar interrupted.  She frowned.

Captain Worldlenses cleared her throat and continued.  "We proceeded carefully.  We bound the stoneworkers to an oath of secrecy and built a barracks in the rockface overlooking a long drop into the caves of the Underworld.  When the miners dug the archer's fortifications, we saw into the Underworld itself."

"But," the Overseer said, looking up from his chair, "it was empty.  Devoid of activity."

"There was no sign of anything save the flowing magma," the Captain said.  She tapped at a spot on one of the maps.  "We kept a vigil over the expanse, and when we were sure the coast was clear, we moved in."

"We built the staircase down before the demons realized what we were doing.  The first walls were built to keep us away from the ravages of the Underworld, but we now have a foothold there, stock with sundries to last should our forces be separated from the fortress proper."

((OOC:  There is actually a reason for the cage traps.))

Dariush raised a hand.  "Like I wrote in my journal last night, I've ceased to understand how the Underworld, the caves and the fort are interconnected."

The Captain of the Guard pulled one of the maps forward.  "Here is the Pit, seen from the caves, where the demons are currently gathered, indicated by the runes."  She rolled a finger across the map.

"The site of the new outpost, instead, is here," she showed.

"It's quite far from the pit, so far that it seemed we avoided the demons' detection."

"Not true," Sethrist said.  The dwarves around the table looked at him.

"There was... one incident," he said evasively.  "They knew we were there the minute we stepped on that blackened stone, yet most of their forces remained out of sight."  He shuddered, holding the side of his face.  "There is a vast menace in that abyss.  I know not what to call it, but it watches us.  Even now in this room, we are watched by a dreadful stare.  We were allowed to build to the Underworld.  I was expecting some greater, later attempt to contest our advance, but none ever came."

"That's because you've given them another way into our fort," Rimtar said.  She gripped the edge of the table increasingly tighter until her fists were trembling.  "Just what they needed.  Of all the puerile, ill-thought..."  Rimtar seethed. 

Sethrist looked at the table.  "I'm sorry, Rimtar."

"You could have got us all killed!"  The indignation broke under pressure and steamed out of her.

"I took every precaution."

"Such as the precaution of not exposing us to those... things?"

Sethrist sighed.  "I knew you'd be angry," he said.  Shooting him a look of disgust, Rimtar got up and walked out of the room.

Derm, who had been carried to the meeting by two of his soldiers, broke the following awkward silence.  "I can't believe you did this without consulting us first," said Derm in a low rumbling voice.

"It had to be done."  Sethrist looked him in the eye.  "You have all the say when it comes to battle plan and strategy, but this was a call I had to make for the safety of the fortress and beyond.  We will call the demons to defend their own stone, to force them away from ours.  The civilians and families who settled here and grant us our prosperity deserve that much, and we had to be secret to be safe."

"And how is this hare-brained scheme supposed to keep the soldiers safe?"

"Not us."  There was a cold finality in Sethrist's voice.  "Dwarves like you and I, Derm, we buy the safety of the innocent with the price of our lives."  He looked around the table.  "Some of you have brought children into the world.  It is a joy unknown to me.  But I know you would not wish to see them grow up in the world where we failed here.  You know what that world would be.  We must endure, even if it means our lives, we must endure together and win."

"And what does winning mean?"  Zaroz asked.

"It means not losing," Sethrist said, "until we are certain the threat is contained."

"The legends say the demons are limitless," Broccoli murmured, half to himself.  "For every that die, a thousand are born."

"We can't contain the hordes forever," Olin said.  "No matter how stalwart our soldiers, they're only dwarves."

"So we can't contain them?"  Dariush raised his hands.  "Then we defeat them.  You don't need to kill something to defeat it."

Kzel looked around at them all like they were mad.

Sethrist clasped his hands.  "It's a start."  He swept his eyes across the seated group.  "Start thinking of ways to win this war."  He paused and looked up, as if trying to remember another detail.

"I wish to add something," said the Captain.  "Sections of the populace are reporting contact with disembodied voices.  We have reason to believe the demons are trying to make contact with sections with us."  The Captain leveled a gaze at those around her.  "Be warned should it happen to you."

"I will bear no more dangerous secrets," Sethrist said.  "I pray you all to the same."

He spotted the wave of discomfort passing along the faces of those present.  Indeed, Sethrist thought.  They have been contacted.  Nearly all of them.

Later that evening, Aramco stood by her forge, hammer ready, a glittering wafer of adamantine before her.  She had to know the truth, and if it were really SalmonGod talking to her, she had to find out how.  But the Overseer's warning hung in her ears.  The voice could have been deceptive, and the thought of helping a demon, even unwillingly, weighed down on her.  She wrestled with a moment of indecision before closing her eyes.  "Tishak," she prayed.  "May no evil take aid of this."

She worked until the hours bled together and lines crept on her face, begging for sleep.  Her hands worked almost with a mind their own, only gently guided by her precise vision.  She had seen the mask clear in her mind for days, and refused to step from the forge until she had brought that vision to life.

"There you are, SalmonGod," she said.  "I've done as you asked."  The Foundry had long been empty of other workers, the torches doused so the only light came as competing hues of molten rock and softly glowing truemetal.  Before leaving up the stair, she turned and looked back on the mask.  "'Til next time."  She left, hoping she wasn't insane.

Six engineers were involved in building the Danger Room.  All had been questioned, none detained.  The Captain of the Guard staved off frustration by the hope there would soon be a new lead.

The Room had been off-limits ever since Kumil's death, and would remain so until the Chief Engineer would inspect it.  Captain Worldlenses was there to escort him inside when he arrived.

"We've left the mechanics in place as they were assembled," she said, handing him the offending spear.  "This was the spear involved.  The trade manifest makes no mention of it, so it wasn't obtained through official channels."

Dariush balanced the spear in his hands, lifted it up a few times, and placed it into the slot with a satisfying -click- and said, "Yeah, that'll kill someone, all right."

"I'm pleased you agree."

"This mechanism," Dariush said.  "It's one of Datan's.  Crude bearings, meager stem-bolts.  All his mark."  He scowled at the device.  "But this..." he poked at the inside of the machinery.

"Be careful," said the Captain.

Dariush waved his hand.  "It's not hooked up."  He pulled back his hand.  "Interesting," he said.

"What is?"

"The aggregators feeding the buffer matrix are linked with a pre-patterned relay system.  It could run through to any part the fort."

"I have no idea what that means," said Worldlenses.

"It means," Dariush said with a grimace, "Whoever did this was an expert.  They could have controlled when this particular spear was released from a distant location.  They're not as good as they think they are, or they would have covered their tracks better, but I can tell.  There's no way Datan is this good."

The Captain crossed her arms.  "Can you find where it leads to?" she asked.

"Of course I can!" said Dariush.  "If we follow the relay, we can find the controller and anything else that it's linked to."

"Excellent!"  The Captain beamed.  "Let's go!"

"Now?"  Dariush shrugged.

"Now."

Far, far below, beneath the mantle of the earth,  Impersonat had managed to reach the gates of Cudgelromance, the secret outpost standing sentinel over the shores of the Underworld.  They had been sealed, and at her approach, the archers standing watch aimed their crossbows at her with confused faces.

"Captain?" one of the recruits said.  "What are you doing out there?"

"Don't let her in!" cried another.  "It's only a trick.  A demon in disguise!"

"They can do that?" said the first recruit in wonder.

Impersonat pawed at the wall, overcome by the desire to go home to her bed which grew even stronger in the face of this closed gate.  "It's me," she tried to say, but the words proved impossible to speak above a whisper.  Despair sapped her will until she sat on the cold jagged stone of the underworld and wept.

The gate opened with a loud mechanical clanking.  Six dwarves in full adamantine mail emerged from the Gate, looking about in each direction.  One of them, a dwarf with an adamant spear, stepped over her.  Gritting her teeth, she forced herself to stop sobbing.

"It's all right, Captain," said the dwarf.  "You're safe."

"My dog," Impersonat said.  She bit her lower lip, closed her eyes.

A horrendous whine was heard coming from the long spiral staircase leading to Quakemortal.  The soldiers hurried to investigate the commotion.  A pair of arms reached under Impersonat's and lifted her up to her feet.  It was Captain Jacen, leader of the new squad of recruits.

"We'll live to fight another day yet," he said to her.  "Now, inside, so we can get this gate shut."

Angry shouts and unearthly laughter blared down the stairs as the gate closed behind them.  Jacen gently set Impersonat down against the wall and untied his axe, and with a deep breath, ran up the stairs.

Before him weaved a violent dance of metallic figures clashing with a hoofed and towering fiend.  Frozen in place, the awed dwarf watched the fighters of Quakemortal tear into the beast with savage conviction and uncanny cohesion.  From the ground, the Overseer jumped toward the monster and pierced its bile-colored chest with a spear just as one of the guards came from behind and hacked at it with a shining blue-tinted axe.  The force of the two attacks falling at once split the monster in half across the torso, pure amazement holding its fanged jaws open.

Oily ichor sprayed in every direction from either half of the beast, who twitched on the floor and expired with an exhausted groan.

"Doing well, for yourself there, Mafol," the Overseer said through ragged breaths.  He clapped an arm around the axedwarf's shoulder.  "Your timing, couldn't be better."

Jacen stared.  He had no idea how he'd get to that level of ability, and yet that was his duty to the ordered letter.  The Danger Room was fierce, but it only prepared them so much.  These dwarves, in their fighting such monstrous forces, had surpassed any skill the Room alone could provide.  Donned in that pristine armor, wielding their unrivaled weapons, they had become champions to the gods, waging a war against the forces of wicked cruelty and consumption in the name of all mortal life.  It was then, with a start, that he realized these dwarves, and he, perhaps one day, if losing the sense of goodness and purpose, might pose as deep a threat to the world as the foe they battled against, fallen angels turning on that they had once sworn to save.

The Captain turned to look back down the stair, but Impersonat was already limping unsteadily up to them.  With swollen eyes, she said only, "I want to go home."

Rimtar's Journal, Excerpts, Hematite 5th through Opal 15th, 231

Like it or not, life is what it is.  Seth has dug us deeper into this mess we've found ourselves in and shows no sign of pulling away.  He's right that we have to make a stand against the demonic horde, I just hope that he knows what he's doing about it.  I need to speak with him at length when we both have a free evening.  He's becoming secretive to the point of impenetrability.  I understand the recent subterfuge has got him worried, but paranoia makes an ill trait for a leader.

An Elven caravan arrived before Summer rolled around and Olin and I had to deal with them.  It was bad enough for them to walk in and see the forest retreating before the massive wooden building going up outside, and then Duck just had to show the Elves the crutches he made to ask for assistance and wouldn't you know they were angry.  They left, but not before Olin deigned to seize their booze.  We tried to offer them some fine stone instruments in return but they left in a scandalized fuss with a promise that "the Princess will hear of this."  From the comments Olin was making afterward, I doubt that she'll mind much.  Duck didn't get his new set of wooden mail (why Gods why), but there's always next year.

Speaking of Duck, it seems there's a problem with the new Guildhall.  An entire section of floor has somehow fallen to ruin and will have to be replaced.  The damaged blocks are useless and Duck believes that the "monopolist hypocrites" known as elven merchants were responsible.  It's not exactly the style of elves to wreck up a building, but Duck's Guildhall is the architectural equivalent of spitting in the face of their entire way of life, so I guess anything's possible.

I have trouble believing it, but Olin is pregnant again.  This next little one will make four.  I always knew Dariush was strapping but I figured Olin would wait at least another year before churning up another child.

I got to spend a little time with Olin earlier today.  She's juggling three kids, a pregnancy and the duties of being Mayor along with the fact that her husband is spending inordinate time in a private office only meters away from the gate between us and the Pit.

I was lucky to catch her on a free hour.  She's had her hands full, not just with children, but with a few soldiers whose minds are suffering from what they have to face here.  Captain Impersonat is with her right now, I believe.  She's had a lot of time off thanks to her recent ordeal.  Nobody knows to this day how she ended up outside the gates of Cudgelromance, and she's taking the death of her dog pretty badly.

She nearly lost it in their first therapy session with Olin, whose head was very nearly caved in.

As my friend tells it, the Captain broke down in her quarters and nearly struck Olin in a fit of screaming rage, then proceeded to beat on her dog.  But when the dog yelped, the soldier dropped her weapons and fell to the floor in shock.  The Mayor's had her hands full, all right.

Impersonat's attempted assault and attack on the Mayor's pet have not been reported to the guards, a fact which I may only credit to Olin's noted compassion.  I hope the Captain feels better, poor thing.  I can only imagine what she saw down there.  But she needs to get well soon, for we need all the dwarves we have.

The Chief Engineer is now armed to the teeth and carries his axe wherever he goes.  He's involved in the Captain's ongoing murder investigation and the stress of it seems to have convinced him he needs to be armed.  Now that the Danger Room is up and running, he's making use of it.

Tragedy struck again on Barony Day.  This year, despite the restriction on animals entering past nearby doorways, a recruit was stupid enough to hand around with the door to the Room open while it was in operation.   Our Chief of Siege Operations was practicing with a hammer in the Danger Room when a dog wandered into the room looking for him, barking happily and running to him on sight.

Broccoli took a week and a half off from work to mourn his loss, and returned to the Danger Room, but he's snapping at the other trainees, blaming them for the accident.  And I can't say I blame him for that.

In closing, Journal:  Do you know what happens when an idiot recruit brings her baby into the Danger Room?  Go on, guess.

That's right.  Olin gets a new weekly patient.

Derm sat up in his hospital bed and fell gracefully to the floor, thinking:  Well, that tears it.  If I can't walk, then I'm going to crawl.  But I'm not just going to sit here any longer.  Not with what needs to be done.

And crawl he did, to get some better equipment.

(edit:  Derm isn't even trying to use a crutch.  He's crawling very slowly around the fort changing into new gear.

Does anyone know why wooden blocks would wear down like that?  The only thing I can think is that's it's hot enough outside to damage the wood, but that can't be right...)

(edit 2:  I have a pretty good candidate for Kzel's mystery person, I'll have that next update.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 02:43:19 am by SethCreiyd »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2011, 04:50:13 am »

Hey could we get some information on the pantheon, and which gods our dwarves worship?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

powpow

• Bay Watcher
  • (UTC+10:00) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2011, 05:16:30 am »

if there are demons to the underworld then there are also benovalent spirits aswell

that means priest or occultist in order to moniter spirital purity. and maybe contact some good spirits aswell, i dont knoq just an idea

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2011, 06:24:15 am »

Uh, nice story-telling! Very creative and impressive.
Can I join? I guess you lack Jewelers Guild there, even finest adamantine sword seems a bit plain without masterwork encrustations...
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2011, 06:32:40 am »

SalmonGod admires Aramco's labors.  The mask is a stunning work.  It only compounds his anxiety.  To have a second chance... and to be given such a beautiful piece of work on his return.  He cannot let this go to waste.

As Aramco appears to be putting on the finishing touches, he returns to the quarters of his host.  There the body lays in bed, its current inhabitant oblivious to impending fate... the time is now.  No one must know.  This is the only chance.

SalmonGod's spirit flows into the body like water filling a cup.  He thinks out loud to the other, "I'm sorry for what I'm about to do.  Truly sorry."

"What?... Who?... H...."  Questions begin to race through the poor dwarf's head.  He's felt something strange lately, but this is the first time he's felt truly threatened.  Those thoughts were not his own.  Questions are cut off by a jolt of panic as his vision surges forward.  It's as if something is pushing him, forcing him to lean forward in bed, yet... he can't feel his body in tune with this motion.  It's the most unsettling non-sensation imaginable.  He attempts to physically sit upright, but his body doesn't respond.  Paralyzed.  No control.  Pushed again, yet this time forced all the way into a sitting position.  He turns and sees his own face gazing blankly upwards.  He attempts to twist and reach for himself, but receives a kick which forces him all the way out of his own body.  He then floats near the ceiling, horrified and confused as he observes himself sitting up in bed and studying his own hands.

SalmonGod studies his new hands with mild disbelief.  He's done it.  He's among the living again.  Physically.  He speaks softly to the empty room, "I'd have told you sooner, but then you would'a fought me.  I couldn't risk it.  There's a blight on this place, on these people.  I'm needed here.  Even your family needs me.  I have work to do."

SalmonGod gets up and practices walking around the room a few times.  He takes a moment to admire the fine door and bed, just to clear his head.  Then, he peeks out into the hallway.  All clear.  He makes his way straight to the forges, avoiding notice along the way.  He spots Aramco shortly after she's left, and ducks around a corner as she passes... then goes into the forgery.

There's the mask, waiting for him.  He steps slowly over to it, a flood of emotions overwhelming him as he picks it up and studies it.  It will be the first and last time he ever observes it apart from reflection. 

He finds some gloves and some tongs nearby with little effort, them being standard smithing tools.  He holds it out over the heat of the forge until it's searing.  He takes it in the thick gloves and runs over to the nearby barrel of water.  He breathes deeply several times, then holds his breath... lines the mask up carefully with his face in the reflection of the water... and presses it firmly against his skin.

The pain is the worst he's ever felt.  Dying was more comfortable than this.  He presses the mask against his face with one hand, counting...

1... 2...

he grips the rim of the barrel with his other hand so hard that the thick woodwork crackles... his breath longs to burst out of him...

3... 4...

he can feel his flesh turn sticky... smell the burning facial hair...

He plunges his face into the barrel and screams long and hard into the water.  He passes out for a few seconds as his breath runs out.  Then he awakes and pulls back out into the air, coughing and sputtering.  He leans over to gaze at his reflection again, feeling the smooth metal surface where there should be flesh.

SalmonGod reassures himself...  It's done.  No one will know.  The poor sap who used to live here... his disappearance will never be explained.

He leaves the forge, and heads straight for his tower above-ground.  He walks with a brisk purpose to avoid inquiry from passersby who admire the completely sublime mask.  He gets up to his quarters and puts on his old armor.  After he's suited up, he sits at his desk to write a note, which Kzel will find in his office the next day.

---

Kzel,

You cracked the secrets of the whip.  Good Job.  I have another project for you.  Crossbows are, of course, the epitome of all that is dwarven in a weapon;  fine, precise, mechanical craft.  Any dwarven establishment needs them around.  However, they do little in hand-to-hand.  Find a way to fix this.  Attach a blade to the base or an axe head on each side.  I don't care.  We need to defend ourselves when enemies close in.

I don't want to get caught like that again.

SalmonGod
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 06:35:42 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14