Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: Quakemortal: Perdition's Gate (Community Fort, Spoilers)  (Read 53844 times)

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ùshrirtunom (Community Story Fort, Spoilers!)
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2011, 01:59:59 pm »

One late night, in the brewery.

Kzel: "That's a fine drink you made here Jacen, it's a good thing you came here, our other brewers knew nothing of their trade ! I've heard that you want to join the military. Too bad Derm's squad is full, eh ? Tell you what, I could help you get the command of a brand new squad, talk to Derm and Sethrist on your behalf, get you some time in the danger room... You'd only have to indulge in a little experiment of mine : assign one or two of your recruits with some of my experimental chain whips, and make them provide me with all the comments and improvements they can think of. You've seen how deadly goblins are around here, and it's their weapon of choice. It could actually make your squad one of the best, first in the history of dwarvenkind to finally master lashing. Think about it, will you ?"

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2011, 02:01:39 pm »

(Awww... see that's why I needed like 20 war animals to follow me around :P  It was unfortunate timing.  A little more time as dungeon master, and I would have been more able to handle that situation.  How would implanting my soul in a new body work?)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2011, 02:24:32 pm »

SethCreiyd, your storytelling rocks so much  :P Have you read The Dresden Files, by the way? The last update certainly reminds me of a certain female demon who could only exist in real world as a piece of her real self, the rest being sealed away, and who helped to
Spoiler: Real spoiler from TDF (click to show/hide)
of a certain main hero...
Also, your storytelling is awesome.  ;D

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2011, 03:20:37 pm »

Log of Derm, Hospital room

Derm sighed and looked around the room for the fifth time.

Nondescript walls, with nary an engraving to admire. A piece of paperwork graced the table next to him.

He looked over it, again. There was nothing else to do, really, until the final results on his leg came.

Recruit training squad - approved.

He put it down and prodded his leg again. He imagined he could feel something.

It was a good leg, and he was quite, figuratively and literally, attached to it.

He looked at the walls and thought. Could he really live like this?

---------------------------------

A few hours later, visiting times were open, and a crowd of muscle and metal was packed into the room, discussing minor events he did not have witness to and generally putting on an air of forced cheerfulness.

Finally the subject had to break.

"Um, commander?"

"Yes?"

"Have you thought about.. a replacement?"

Derm looked around. "For who?"

"Erm."

The air was suddenly very heavy.

"For, for you sir."

Derm put on an air of feigned confusion. "Whatever for boy?"

"Um. because of the..." He guestured at the wrappings.

Derm laughed. "Boy do I need to beat another lesson into you? I'm not leaving."

"But.. your leg.."

He grinned. "Boy, you don't need two legs to aim a crossbow."

The soldiers looked to each other in surprise, then whooped and slapped the commander on the back.

"Good thinking sir!"

"Very brilliant if I say so myself!"

"I wonder if the doc will allow it."

"I'd like to see them stop him!"

"Maybe we could just move the bed to the fortifications?"

"Nah, the commander can tough it out by hopping or crawling!"

"I heard there's research being done on a thing called a crutch..."

Heh, Derm thought. Screw demons and their offers. There's always another option. Always.

-----------------------

OOC: I should probably note that I have not actually played DF for a couple months now and am not sure if any of this is possible. In another community fort someone had frostbitten lower spine, legs didn't work but they moved around just fine, so experience tells me its within the realm of possibility.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2011, 03:50:36 pm »

Just wait till he upgrades to 0.31.22. Crutches are fixed and those who can't take crutches will still be allowed to move around.

Orders of Jacen to Recruit Squad

At least two soldiers should help Kzel with his whip project. The others get a weapon which they are skilled with or Commander Derm (or any captain) wants them to have.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2011, 04:32:14 pm »

SalmonGod gazes down at his lifeless body.

"Aw hell... cowards..."

He watches the goblins exchange victorious grunts and kick at his former shell.  He yells at them in the most depressing exercise of futility.  "Took enough of you didn't it!"

The sky begins to darken and swirl, eventually forming a tunnel.  It frames the sun, which grows brighter and larger until it's a blinding whiteness threatening to consume him.  SalmonGod is entranced by this development, despite the pain to his eyes, until finally nausea overwhelms him and he vomits ethereal chunks.

"Goddamn sun!  I'm already dead!  Do you have to make it worse?!"

He tries to move away from the tunnel and the light, and begins to notice something similar happening to the ground.  There's a hole.  Sinking.  Swirling.  Growing larger.  A much more inviting mixture of red and blue glows emanates from this pit.  He wills himself toward it.  It's difficult, at first, to move away from the light in the sky, but it gets easier... much easier... the closer he gets to the pit. 

There's magma below... mesmerizing... inviting... once he crosses the threshold of the earth, it begins to pull him in like riding a gentle breeze.  As the magma draws nearer, a face can be made out... no... thousands of faces... smiling... no... twisted... twisted into empty grins like expressions chiseled in stone... hands reaching out... like drowning creatures who can't be saved, lest one be pulled in to drown as well.

A panic overwhelms SalmonGod, who has never known such a feeling before.  Even when the goblins overwhelmed him, he felt mostly cold focus with an undertone of adrenaline thrill.  This fear.  It's alien.  Painful.  Not something he wants.  But is it too late?  He lunges for the side of the pit and grabs hold.  A green light erupts from below and grasps at him like a dozen unseen hands.  He kicks and pulls and bends all his mighty will towards the surface. 

Slowly, agonizingly, he claws his way upwards until he finds himself eye level with grass.  The effort seems to suck at his very core, threatening to tear him apart.  He grabs a bush near the edge of the pit and ties his mustache around the base, before collapsing.  The pull from below seems strongest here, just inches from freedom.  His soul drained from the struggle, he can make it no further, and doesn't know if the strength to break this final barrier will ever return to him.

"Augh... I'd rather wrestle a bear..."  Now that he's somewhat resting and reflecting on his situation, he notices his senses are different.  They're not physical.  There are other things here to notice now.  A tension.  A friction.  Energies from above and below, grinding and cracking against each other.  There's a storm here... invisible but powerful... and the dwarves are caught right in the middle of it. 

He closes his eyes and studies this phenomenon for a while.  Feels it in a way he's never known before.  Tries to understand.  Pushing and pulling.  Both at once.  From above and below.  Energies clashing and sucking.

And something else... something that belongs to neither side.  Or maybe both sides.  Something neutral.  Immovable.  A by-product.  Something created where the two forces clash, like the forging of steel, but with a power unlike any material shaped by hand.  More visceral.  Ethereal.  Immune to the influence of this supernatural struggle, but... not immune to the loving hands of dwarves.

SalmonGod feels the wound on his chest, just a couple inches from his heart.  The adamantine sutures.  They're still there.  Somehow, they've remained attached, even to this non-physical form.  It's just a thread, but he can now feel some power from it.  It's probably why he's made it this far.

He opens his eyes.  The commander, Derm, lays before him... motionless... a pool of blood gathers beneath his legs.  Soldiers rush forward to chase away the source of the wounds.  SalmonGod forgets everything for a moment, in disbelief at the events before him. 

"Common swamp rats?!  Pfah!  These people... need... my hairy... CHEST!"

With a burst of energy, he pulls himself fully up onto the surface.  He's in the middle now.  Forces tug at him from above and below.  But he finds that if he focuses on the thread woven into his manly chest, their influence fades.

He looks around.  The goblins are driven back.  Wounded are carried underground.  The commander...

Then he notices other presences.  Silhouettes.  Unnatural shapes without substance move amongst the living, who go about their business, influenced but oblivious.

Another dwarf walks by, carrying his corpse.  It's just a shell.  Here he is.  Existing.  Without it.  Why does he need it?  Perhaps he can find another one.  Perhaps this adamantine thread is the key.  If it can root him in place against the influence of the great struggle, perhaps it can root him into a new body.  He understands now why dwarves love this stuff.  It's pure freedom.  A freedom he intends to spread.

He begins his search for a suitable container.  There is work to be done.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 04:36:49 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
  • Right in the goddamn FACE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2011, 05:40:19 pm »

"What on earth is he talking about?" I mumbled to myself as I watched the carpenter turn around the corner. "Statues? I have some statues in my office but there's nothing strange about those."
I opened the double doors and examined the statues on both sides of the room. There was nothing strange about them. Maybe he's just bummed because they're not made of wood.
I proceeded to the bedroom, looking for the chair the carpenter said he placed. As soon as I opened the door I noticed something wasn't right. There was a stone statue in the middle of the room. As I stepped inside I noticed two more statues -both of them gargoyles- on both sides of me. The stone statue was of a dwarf, but it was facing away from me. As I walked around to see the face I heard the voice again:

"You like it? My girlfriend made it for you!"

I had heard the voice before, but never like this. It usually seemed like the voice was coming from somewhere inside my head, almost like it was one of my own thoughts. Not this time though, this time it was an actual sound. And it was coming from behind me. I turned around. One of the gargoyle statues was looking at me.

"Is that you...", I realized I never asked his name, "...You?"

"My name is ---*", the series of gluttoral sounds and pseudo-screams that formed his name gave me a headache, "-but you can call me Lor, I guess."
*Demon names -when pronounced properly- can cause your brain to try and kill you from the inside out. Dwarves are immume to this, possibly because their brains are too small to pose an actual threat. Humans can be affected so I've decided to omit this demon's full name in order to protect the sanity of our readers.

"A dwarven name?"

"Belonged to this dwarf I killed. I figure I have earned the right to use his name. Anyway, do you like the statue?"

I looked at the statue, the dwarf that was depicted looked as if it could spring alive and murder me any moment. My blood chilled in my veins.
"It's definitely... Impressive", I chose my words carefully, "And you said your girlfriend sculpted this?"

Lor let out a horrible, low-pitched sound that sounded like a troll was choking on a dog that was still alive. It took me a while to realize that he was laughing.

"Oh no, she didn't sculpt this. She's the one that killed him, devoured him and petrified his soul."

"Petrified? What!?"

"Yeah, this guy actually caused some trouble. His soul escaped to the surface and decided to wreak some havoc. Took us a while before we caught it."

"Why catch him at all? Isn't havoc what demons usually aim for?"

"Sure, but I prefer a bit more subtlety. As I once told this warlock that summoned me: 'Any idiot can burn down a man's house, but a true demon can sell him the torch, get him to light the fire himself, and then jump in afterwards.' Anyway, back tho this guy: She turned his soul into a guardian."

"A... Guardian?"

"As an alternative to your catapult! If someone tries to read your codex Ézum here will awaken and tear him a new one!"

"I already had plans for protecting the codex."

"Oh right, you were going to ask for equipment and time in the danger room. How did that work out?"

"I couldn't find Seth so I left a note on his desk."

A few minutes passed without anyone saying anything.

"So what's with the gargoyles?"

"Having a corporeal body beats being a spirit anyday. These gargoyles aren't much but it's definitely better than possesing a dwarf. You guys are seriously messed up. No offence.", He added hastily.

"None taken. How'd you get them here?"

"I pulled some strings.", He didn't appear to want to tell me more about this. "So do you want the guardian or not?"

I looked into the statue's eyes once more. At first he just looked angry but if you looked into his eyes long enough you saw something else. Was it pain? Fear? Desparation? Something along those lines.

"If you don't take him I'm just going to take him to the Big Fire Below to burn for all eternity."

"No.", I said immedeately, "No dwarf should suffer a fate like that."

Lor smiled. He knew that's how I would respond.

"But can you at least make him look slightly less... dead? He's giving me the creeps."

"Really? I think his current look is kind of soothing."

"It's horrifying."

The demon shrugged. This caused parts of the gargoyle to crumble off. "It's all a matter of taste, I guess." He concentrated for a second and moved back into the position I first saw him in.
The gargoyle was completely lifeless again. The statue of Ézum had changed. His pose was the same but his face was that of a normal dwarf rather than the mask of hate it had been before. I turned the statue around so it faced the door instead of my bed.
It was at this point that I first noticed the chair that was placed in my room. I got my tome and codex from my chest and sat down.
It was the most comfortable chair I ever sat in.

---

Seth: Amazing storytelling! Keep up the good work. Also: I'm pretty much just making shit up as I go along. I'm not sure whether you have anything planned for this but I thought you might want to know that I sure don't.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:42:40 pm by Sir Broccoli »
If sad, apply kittens.

powpow

• Bay Watcher
  • (UTC+10:00) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2011, 05:56:52 pm »

yey wew

also is my character in the story yet or are u waiting for more character development on my part? if so i'll try to write something later on in the day because i gotta practise my english skill alittle more. hopefully i'll be able to write a story thats comprehensable to normal readers

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2011, 06:03:17 pm »

Carpenter's Log:
I was sitting in my office, trying not to think about those weird statues in Broccoli's room, when Doctor Throatoiled walked in.

"I've got a request for you, Duck," he said. "I normally wouldn't bother you, but this is a big enough deal that I think it merits the direct attention of the Head of the Carpenter's Guild."

"Oh?" I asked. "What is it?"

"As you may have heard, Commander Derm was crippled in the recent goblin attack."

"There was a goblin attack?" I asked him, surprised. "I thought we were supposed to be fighting demons."

The doctor sighed (I figure he was remembering a patient that he wasn't able to save or something). "Yes, but we are also constantly being attacked by goblins."

Imagine that! Demons and goblins. That's almost as exciting as carpentry.

The doctor continued. "Anyway, the Commander was injured by a giant rodent--"

"You said we were attacked by goblins," I reminded him.

He sighed again. "Yes, but there are many other dangerous creatures out..." he paused, then continued, "Actually, yes, I meant to say that he was injured by a goblin."

"Okay."

"As I was saying, he was injured by a... goblin... and now he can no longer walk. He seems to think that there is a thing called a 'crutch' that can help him move around again.

I leaned back in my chair, thinking. Every carpenter knows about crutches, but I've never heard of them actually working. "It's really more of a theory," I told him. "I can certainly try to make some crutches, but there are no recorded cases of crippled dwarves being able to use them."

"I think it's best if we try anyway," said the doctor. "I worry a little about Derm's sanity. He's been talking to himself a lot."

"I'll work on this personally," I assured him. This was going to be quite a challenge.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2011, 08:27:01 am »

On the surface of Quakemortal, all the watch patrols had gathered in one tower to watch the approaching shape.  It had looked like a walking tree from a distance, but the closer it came, the bigger and longer it looked.

The creature, a colossal emerald stick now seen to be far taller than the nearby trees, turned its segmented neck to the fortress, and with a single bound, was inside the walls.  The startled livestock, including one reindeer and a gibbon, bolted away in a convincing display of self-preservation.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Impersonat felt a certain awe for the insectoid creature as it terrorized the animals when one of the recruits waved their hand in front of her face and asked her, "What should we do?"

She blinked.  "Damn," she replied.  She tried to think quickly.  "Ah, you two stay here.  The rest of us, cross to the northeast tower.  We can try to distract it until..."

"Until?

"Never mind," she finished, pointing.

"They killed it!"  The recruits cheered.  Someone said, "I wonder what it tastes like?"  Down below, a soldier pulled his sword from the giant bug's neck and waved at the archers.

Impersonat squinted.  There was something about that Swordsdwarf's walk that was awfully familiar.

It was Timber 4th: Sethrist and Rimtar were having their usual afternoon beer together, discussing matters of the fort while they prepared for the festivities of Barony Day.  The lack of usual production would mean tying together the last few loose ends before the parties were underway.

"SalmonGod's squad needs a new leader," Rimtar recited from a stack of papers strewn across the table.  "A young soldier named Impersonat is the second most senior marksdwarf, so I'm sending Derm the paperwork for her promotion."

"All right, then.  How's Derm doing?"

"Amazingly well.  Confident.  His dwarves brought him a large pile of bolts and a crossbow and set up an archery target across from his bed, but I understand the Doctor threatened to tie him up if he fired it, so there's been an uneasy standoff."

"That must have been fun to witness."

"When I got there, Zaroz was tearing the target down and the Commander was aiming at him and yelling.  We might need a new wall to separate them."  She turned one of her lists to the other side.  "I've assigned some of the new migrants to take care of ballista bolts," she said with a swig of her mug.  "Broccoli's spending a month or two in combat training, so we're down some armor and a war hammer."

"No worries," Sethrist said, sinking back in his chair.  "We could use some more competent fighters.  Anyway, the Chief Smiths are putting out more everyday."

Rimtar examined the papers before her.  "Derm commands thirty dwarves, counting the crossbow team and the new squad of recruits.  Chief Kzel has them practicing with whips, he insists it'll one day be worth it.  Oh, and Captain Worldlenses finished assembling the Fortress Guard, so that makes forty dwarves in full-time military service."

It's not enough, Sethrist thought.  He'd specifically sought the assistance of Captain Worldlenses in a letter to the Mountainhome; an experienced war veteran and the most renowned Hammerdwarf in all the Lanterns of Hale, she brought many elite soldiers with her.  She'd been briefed on the true mission of Quakemortal, and was bearing the ceremonial adamantine hammer with pride.

'One needs not might to quell the darkness,' she'd said with a loving gaze at her glowing hammer.  'Only light.'

Rimtar was staring at him.  "You look tired."

"Tired is too small a word."  He rubbed his face.  "Sorry.  Where were we?"

"The military."

"Right."

"We're stepping up armor production.  One of our newer smiths has earned access to the truemetal.  Have you seen Udib's latest work?"

"Yes!  Aramco was telling me, she's thrilled with him.  He's her star pupil, you know."

"Indeed.  He's getting new quarters near the forges so she can work without interruption."  She tapped the desk with her thumb.

"Anything else?"

"Forget about it."  Rimtar waved her hand, then downed the rest of her beer.  "We'll get to it on the Sixth.  You need sleep, and I need to sign off these work orders before getting so drunk that the fort spins."

At the hospital, Derm was near sleep.  The day had been a long one.  No matter how sturdy a crutch he tried out, the thing would creak and bend or break as soon as his full weight went on it.  Guildmaster Duck had promised to keep trying, and Derm would as well on his end, but the first thing first was sleep.  But then, as relaxation took hold, his quieting mind was startled by a gruesome call from the dark.

Hello, Derm, the voice said.  Feeling better yet?

Derm opened his eyes and reached out to the table for his axe, at the same time grabbing the crossbow kept under us pillow, and scanned the dark for something to shoot at.  "I don't want your help, or anything to do with it."

I know that, the voice said.  So proud you must feel.

"So then why do you bother me?"  Derm checked to ascertain that the crossbow was loaded.

Simply to honor my commitment, the voice said.  It has been six months.

"I haven't kept track."

I thought you would like to know that I found someone else.  Someone willing to listen, and willing to help.  And they were helpful.

Derm could feel the demon's unseen smile.

He gave in to alarm.  "What are you saying?"  As if the voice had descended onto him, he heard the voice, a whisper just next to his ear.

We are coming.

No, Derm thought.

We shall meet again soon, my dear dwarf!  But first is the feast!  The voice cackled and faded.

The guards at the gate were unprepared for its opening.  As far as they knew, it wasn't even supposed to be attached to any opening mechanism.  Most of them knew not what lay beyond, only that it was dangerous.

Zuntir the Axedwarf took an uneasy step toward the aperture.  A glittering wall lay beyond, with a small patch of cave moss over on the left.  A strange mist was seen inside, but no sign of anything living.

A plume of ashes swept out from the cavern.  The other awestruck guards watched as it wrapped around the dwarf's body and contracted, cracking the bones beneath his steel armor.  The gleaming bluish axe he had carried fell down to be swept up by another cloud of ash, which rose up to envelop Zuntir's leg and brought him into the ground with a crushing impact.

The demons emerged.  Three great winged and spidery forms of the same foul ash flew into the fort, piling upon the axedwarf to pierce him with daggerlike mouths.  Droplets of blood flowed up to bestow on the monsters an unnatural crimson hue.  The mist from beyond condensed into skulled and shifting shapes, hissing and spitting with menace.

The dwarves fell into panic, unsure of how to fight creatures such as these.  The fiends of ash flew up from Zuntir's corpse and swooped down on the line of them.  The ghostly mist thickened and filled their lungs, choking out the air.  A recruit was swept off his feet and thrown into the ravening pile of monstrous hunger.

And then, as terror threatened to claim them all, a snarling shape came from the top of the stair and made a leap for the swarm.  It was Catten, SalmonGod's former war leopard, and as it pounced atop the buzzing, feeding mass, its claws raked through one of the beast's flapping wings, which broke and crumbled to scattering dust in the air.

"They are vulnerable!" someone shouted.  And with this realization, the dwarves gave a collective howl and fought with renewed vigor.  Battled screams and inhuman wails echoed up the central stairwell.  More and more dwarves entered the fray, joined by further abominations from the depths.  The civilians nearby ran in every direction.

The hall became a frenzied cloud of bloody ashes and mist.  Sethrist appeared at the top of the stairs, and with abandon, hurled himself into the brawl, waiving Kzel's spear like a glaive through the phantasmal forms all around.

Within moments, the carnage was unspeakable.  Broken, dirtied corpses cluttered the hallway, skins stained with blackened blood.  The air had settled, the mist having dropped as pools of water that rippled ominously on the floor, a coating of soot over all in sight.  A confused looking group of dwarves stood at the end of the hall, waiting in wonder.

Sethrist pointed at one of the recruits.  "Find the Chief Engineer and get this gate closed."   To a nearby axedwarf, he said, "You, stay with me.  We have to prevent--"

He was cut off by a long, hollow cackling that came through the corridor.  A long tendril of emerald slime, noxious and vile, slinged from the opening and clamped around a by-standing jeweler's neck.  The dwarf let out a gurgled shriek as the abhorrent tentacle pulled back and yanked him into the air and through the gate.

"Hold on!" Sethrist shouted.  "Stay here!" he said to the soldiers behind him, and without another word, proceeded through the gate.

The cavern was warm and humid, like the swamp above the surface, but with a thicker heat that permeated the cave's lustrous walls.  There was no sign of the jeweler, but there was one place Sethrist knew where to look, a place he had ever dreaded coming back to.  There, on the ground before that great yawning pit, lay the bruised body of the jeweler in a wide and bloody pool.  Floating above his body sat a curvaceous woman upon the draconian wings coming out of her back.

Sethrist readied his weapon.  "You'll pay for this," he said.

"A pleasure to meet you, Sethrist," said the demon.  "I'm Ethbeshzalìs."

Sethrist sprinted toward her.  The ground around his feet bubbled and frothed with that sickening slime and glued to his feet.  He struggled to move his legs, but the slime refused to yield.

"I knew you'd take the bait," the demon said.  She lowered herself to the ground and slowly walked toward him.  Sethtrist moved to throw the spear, but another blob of slime rose up and snatched the weapon from his grasp.

"I'm going to take you home, Seth," Ethbeshzalis said.  "Everyone's waiting for you."

There were footsteps behind them.  A wall of slime rose up around them, only to be broken through by a dwarf in full adamantine armor, wielding a glittering truemetal hammer.  The demon squalled out as the dwarf stood up and drove the spike of the hammer into the closest wing, sending a green-lined fracture running across it.

Enraged curses flickered and bounced against the stony walls.  A stream of goo waved up from the floor and spun the two dwarves off their feet.  The demon laughed and glided into the air above the pit, falling backwards in a graceful dive.  Trails of slime bled out of her fractured wing as she flew down the pit, cackling with insane glee the entire way down.

"Overseer!"  The Captain of the Guard was tugging at Sethrist's shoulders.  "They're going to close the gate any second now.  We have to escape while we can!"

Sethrist stared at the jeweler's trodden form.  Even if he lived, the life would be an agony.  One mangled wrist pointed toward the pit, that seemed to call out with its openness.  Don't look in, thought Sethrist, remembering the eye.  Don't look in.

Angry, monstrous bellows could be heard in the distance.  "Now, Overseer!" said the guard captain.  "Before more of them come!"

"Agreed," Sethrist said, returning his mind to the fort.  They hurried back to the gate and waited there until it closed.  "Stay here until I say so," he said to the guards.  "No one but Chief Dariush is to get anywhere near it."

"I give you my oath," said the captain, "I'm going to find those responsible."

Sethrist gave a long look at the surrounding heap of bodies awaiting burial.  "Please do," he said, closing his eyes.

Down in the deep of the pit, Ethbeshzalìs fell into the lava, allowed her body to drop into her churning, acid form and flowed into the magma.  She trickled through the molten rock, pouring through the microscopic pores until she reached an open fiery cavern on the other side deep beneath the earth.  There, beyond the exposed wall of a mined out adamantine vein, was the magma foundry these dwarves had built, and the path to freedom.

Aramco was pacing her quarters, where she and another metalsmith had been confined by the Fortress Guard.  "What do you mean, 'stay inside?" she demanded at a bleary-eyed axedwarf who looked like the fight had about left him.

"There are monsters about," the axedwarf said.  "It's much safer in here out of the way."

"Just let me go get my armor.  I'll bring you some!"

"Miss, the soldiers need to do their jobs," the soldier said impatiently.  "We can't be worried about civilians in the halls when there's fighting to do."

The walls behind him started to bubble with green droplets.  The smell of rancid cheese filled up the place.

"Yes," Aramco said.  She inched away, her eyes as wide as open coffins.  "I, um, I have to go now."

The soldier pointed his finger.  "It's just for a little while longer.  Once everyone is safe --"

"Behind you!"  Aramco shrieked.  A sinister face had appeared in the goo on the wall to glare at the guard.

"Oh no you don't," the axedwarf said.  "I'm not falling for tha-"

The door to Aramco's cellar burst open.  Dragging itself into the room came a great burbling blob of green viscosity, two slithering coils scraping across the walls as with a gravity their own.  The center of the protoplasmic mass enfolded over the axedwarf, swathing him completely in the soupy, swirling bile from which staring, hateful eyes would emerge, blinking and fixing on Aramco.

Aramco shrieked, and shoving the other metalworker aside, ran in terror from the room.  She screamed incomprehensibly through the halls.  Why my quarters? she thought.  Why did it have to be my quarters?

The metalworker looked from the ground, frozen with fear.  The axedwarf was being twisted and folded in unnatural ways by the insistent slime.  A pool of it moved its way into his mouth, and he screamed in muffled revulsion.  More and more of it flowed in until it was leaking from his ears and nose, until the dwarf's very skull cracked under the building pressure and fell apart.

The quivering metalsmith slowly crawled toward the door.  From beneath her, the slime lifted up, carrying her swiftly up to the ceiling and smearing her there.  Drops of her dribbled from the walls.

Aramco had been hard to understand through her sobs, but Sethrist eventually made out that a demon had captured her quarters.  He gave word to the Fortress Guard to meet him there, proceeded down as fast as he could.

He arrived at the door clutching his spear in one closed, adamantine-covered fist.  He dared not enter without backup, but whatever was in there would have to be stopped if it tried to escape.  The consequences of a demon infiltrating the fort would be dire indeed.

A pair of green eyes grew forth from the diorite stone of the door.  A girlish voice sang into the Overseer's mind.  Greetings, Seth.  Have you come back for more?

"You won't escape," Sethrist said.  "The guards are on their way.  You'll soon be surrounded."

Surrounded?  I think not.  Think carefully before you open this door.  Haven't enough of you died today?

The first of the guards were arriving.  Seth motioned towards a recruit.  "Send word to the masons," he said.  "Tell them we need to wall off this part of the fort."

The recruit stared nervously at the baleful door, which now sported a toothy grin.

"Now," Sethrist said.

The door became normal again, and hollow laughter filled the halls of marble.

What was planned to be a day of fun and wine had turned into one of grief and rebuilding.  Rimtar was in the hospital with a scroll, trying to listen to what Zaroz was telling her, but her thoughts kept returning to the shameful list of the dead waiting on her desk that morning.

"I'm going to need better facilities than this!" Zaroz said, hands wringing.

"You'll get them," Rimtar said, making a note.

"Look at this.  How am I supposed to treat all these people myself?"

"You aren't."  Rimtar pried a sheet of parchment from the roll and handed it to him.  "You're getting some nursing staff."

Zaroz looked at the list sceptically.  "Are they any good?"

"The best we have."  Rimtar said.  "From now on I need you to maintain a full-time health care management team.  They are to live and work here at all times.  I don't want any dwarf to die who might have lived.  Is that understood, Doctor?"

"Don't blame me for anyone dying," Zaroz said.  "Now, I need to get back to work."  He picked up a few rolls of clean cloth, turning his back to her.

-----

Spoiler: SalmonGod (click to show/hide)

Your disembodied consciousness has achieved a sort of oneness with this individual.  You find yourself able to experience his experiences as if they were your own while retaining your sense of identity - along for the ride, in a sense.  You feel that, if you tried, you could perhaps push this person's own mind away from his body, and you would have complete control over it.  However, you also feel that doing this would almost certainly be, in a sense, killing them.  What do you do?

That's all I can get through for now.  Rest assured, the fort is safe, for now.  The demon seems content to relax in her new house with the doors forbidden.  I should be able to work on this again in a few days, and next time I'll aim for the perspectives of characters that haven't had enough time onstage.  Thanks again to you each for participating so far!  I look forward to your posts.  That last Carpenter's Log was hilarious ^_^

yey wew

also is my character in the story yet or are u waiting for more character development on my part? if so i'll try to write something later on in the day because i gotta practise my english skill alittle more. hopefully i'll be able to write a story thats comprehensable to normal readers

Sammy will soon have an appearance in the story.  If you like what I PMed you, I'd be happy to help with your editing however I can.

SethCreiyd, your storytelling rocks so much  :P Have you read The Dresden Files, by the way? The last update certainly reminds me of a certain female demon who could only exist in real world as a piece of her real self, the rest being sealed away, and who helped to
Spoiler: Real spoiler from TDF (click to show/hide)
of a certain main hero...
Also, your storytelling is awesome.  ;D

Thanks Dariush  :)  I haven't read the Dresden Files, but I did look it up, and it looks pretty interesting.  Ethbesh's description screen describes her as "a towering blob composed of vomit' with wings and I pictured this shape-shifting shoggoth type of demoness.  The demons have specific attributes for their personalities in the world.dat raw files, which may give a little insight into how they might think.

Seth: Amazing storytelling! Keep up the good work. Also: I'm pretty much just making shit up as I go along. I'm not sure whether you have anything planned for this but I thought you might want to know that I sure don't.

Thank you!  I will try.  I am planning a bit in regard to some character development and story arcs, but there's only so much that's predictable.  Feel free to play as you go, however you like.  As for Chief Broccoli, I expect there will soon be consequences for his cavorting with demons so freely.  :)

I'm sorry if this bit was quite graphic, but I'm pretty sure that's how it would have looked to the dwarves.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 12:12:14 pm by SethCreiyd »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2011, 10:49:04 am »

Log of Derm: First incursion, Medical bay
The news had arrived slowly.

Not being able to walk around to get it left until massive ammounts of bodies flooded the hospital room.

The already overworked doc was scrampling back and forth, trying to keep some of the dwarves stable.

Finally the doc stopped, and rested on a nearby chair.

"How are they?" Derm said.

"Not good. Not good at all. Some have got some sort of substance on them I've been unable to identify. It seems to be paralysing their lungs. I'm doing all I can, but I dont think those affected by it will live much longer."

"Couldn't you wash it off?"

"I tried a few times, but the bucket just made the stuff spread around. If I could dip 'em in a pool or a river, that'd probably do the trick, according to what properties I've seen, but medical procedures don't allow me to do that."

"If I'd have been there..."

"You'd be dead. And so would your squad. Don't beat yourself up on it Derm, we've made out in the black, however barely. They can be killed. Once you get this crutch thing figured out, it'll all be fine."

"I suppose."

There was silence.

"I don't suppose I could practice with my-"

"Hell no!"

*Later that same day*

"- and that's the gist of what happened."

Derm was silent.

"So theres a demon in that room down there?"

"Well, yes."

"What did it look like?"

Seth looked confused. "What?"

"What did it look like."

"Erm, It's kinda hard to describe really. It was a great big green blob with wings,smell of vomit all around-"

Derm sudenly looked furious.

"Why haven't you killed it yet?"

"Um. what?"

Derm gave him his patented glare. On its worst day it could freeze lava.

"Why isn't it dead yet!?"

"Er, it's really powerful, you see. I dont think the military could handle it at this time-"

"Good lord man, I thought you were brighter than this. What's all holding it back?"

"A wall."

"So it can't break through a wall. Do you think it could break through a wall with a few holes in it?"

"A forifica- oh. Oh."

"Now you get it."

"I don't really think we can though."

Derm was furious again.

"Why the hell not!?"

"It's a blob, commander. It could slide right through the hole."

"Not if theres twenty bolts being fired through it."

Seth sighed. "As always, you make a good point. I'll think it over. Theres still the risk of it sliding through but... I'll think it over."

He stood and left.

There was silence.

creeeeaaaakSNAP

"GODS DAMNED IT."
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:54:15 am by dermonster »
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2011, 06:42:29 pm »

It was yet another night in Kzel's office. Once more the dwarf had spend most of his day forging steel into whips, once more all his attempts had failed. Tired, he was now standing in the middle of the smelting room, examining in latest creation and comparing it to the original. He took a swing of the salvaged silver whip directed at the nearby wall, it nearly shattered on impact. He took the same from his makeshift weapon and the pieces started to fall apart.

"Wrong, Wrong ! WRONG !", he shouted in an outburst. "This is all wrong!"

From the distance of the forging room, a female voice could be heard:

"Having troubles with these whips, are we?", said the voice in a mocking tone.

"Who the hell said that ?!", replied Kzel, throwing the useless weapon at the door leading to the forge. The whip's remains fell down on the floor before it could reach it. "Is that you Aramco ? Very funny, now show yourself!"

"How do you figure the goblins mastered the craft of the whip ?", asked the voice after a few seconds passed.

A long silence passes, so void of sound that even the weakest adamantine hammer strike could be heard.

"I wish I knew, but I have no idea.", admitted the smith. "They are obviously bad weapon crafters, judging from their other works. I don't understand how they could come up with a weapon of such ... complexity."

"Isn't it possible they had help ?", continued the disembodied voice.

"From whom ? The Humans ? Bah, they couldn't forge a sword right...". Kzel's voice trailed off at the end, as he remembered the last caravan guards had bronze whips, a trademark of human manufacture.

"Maybe the humans were helped too...", kept pressuring the voice.

"Look, I don't know who is hiding in there, and I don't know what you're trying to say, but if you have some insight to share, do it now!", grumbled Kzel, exasperated.

"What if the goblins and humans gained their knowledge from someone else ?", added the voice.

"There IS no one else. Kobolds are thieves, they couldn't handle a smith's hammer if their lives depended on it. Who do you think helped them, eh ? Old dragons from ancient legends ? Demons ?"

"Demons, you say. Isn't it possible ?", continued the voice, getting interested.

"You have listened too much to Sethrist's delusions. There is no demon here, just adamantine and dwarves with wild imaginations", answered Kzel, irritated.

"We shall see.", said the voice, fading away, "We shall see."

One day later, after hearing tales of the first battles against the horrors from below, Kzel once again was standing at his forge, trying his luck at yet another whip.

"Do you still think demons don't exist ?", asked a familiar voice, coming from the smelting room this time.

"The mysterious trickster is back, I see", grumbled Kzel, looking at the finely crafted pieces of weapon he just made. "Just a couple forgotten beast if you want my opinion."

"Forgotten beasts made of steam ? Of ash ? Of vomit ..?", countered the voice.

"It's possible, you'd be surprised to hear what strange things I've seen or heard in my career. Monsters made of diamond, or solid gold or coal. Steam, ash, or vomit doesn't so far fetched"

"Do you also recall forgotten beasts fighting together, attacking a settlement in a joint assault ?"

"No... maybe they just arrived at the same time.". Kzel was ashamed of his weak argument. Forgotten beasts were known to be solitary and rarely tolerate the presence of another being. Hoping to cut short any mocking reply, he added : "What do you want, and just who are you anyway ? Stop hiding!". With these words, he burst out in the smelting room, only to find it empty. Behind him, in the corridor of blades that lead to his office, the voice spoke again.

"If demons do exist, maybe they were the ones who helped goblins and humans with the whip...".

With these words, the voice faded into nothingness. Kzel, starting to doubt his sanity, took the rest of the day off and wandered the corridors of the dwarven city. He somehow ended up near the area of the battle, but as it was under quarantine due to heavy contaminants laying around, he could not approach. In silent contemplation, he remembered the voice's words. They had sunk deep into his mind, and he couldn't get them out. What if demons gave the secret of the whips to goblins and humans ? That would explain everything... Especially why he keeps failing! Slapping his forehead, the dwarf gathered his senses, surprised that he was actually giving any credit to all the demon stories. He took off to the danger room for an afternoon of training to clear his thoughts.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2011, 03:20:22 pm »

Long after dark, at his desk by the light of a candle, Broccoli puzzled over the old tome, feather of the quill in his mouth.  The book brimmed with ancient knowledge and arcane formulae spaced just beyond his ken, and it was a hard matter to translate something that could pack twelve meanings into one sentence, but he was making progress with it all the same.

First, the book teaches how to make some kind of explosive powder, and certainly the applications of such a material would be truly boundless.  There was also details on a potent contact poison.  It also has a recipe for some kind of blood pudding.  Broccoli was sure there was more to be found in the book, but it would take some time to get through.

(Research Progress 2/10:  Needs Direction)

His back ached.  He found himself appreciating his wonderful chair, without which his time in the Danger Room would have been far more regrettable.

Rimtar's Journal, Opal 2nd, 231

Seth has taken to guarding the former quarters of our Chief Armorsmith, who's attending therapy sessions with Mayor Olin.  She hasn't fully recovered yet, but her chances look good.  Some of the more superstitious metalsmiths are starting to think their profession is cursed by our use of the adamantine.  We had some goblins attack us toward the end of Timber, during which one of Aramco's younger apprentices was killed.  He was the only one to be caught outside, and the goblins left hm in a riverside pool.  I doubt we'll be able to recover his remains once the fish are done.

After killing the smith, they ran straight into Dariush's blade traps.  It was a messy sight, and workers are still busy clearing the gate of goblin parts.

The attack was short-lived.

Just three days later, we received the liaison from the Mountainhomes, and Kulet came out of the meeting with some pleasant news:

We are to be a County now.  This may have something to do with our trade output, since I have a hard time imagining any other reason, given our recent losses.

Work has finished, too late, alas, on SalmonGod's tower.  A memorial hall to the old Captain was set on the first floor, while the second story has room for archers opposite the kennel.  The top floor is the master bedroom.  The roof over the archery barracks isn't yet finished.

In the basement is the office, complete with the forge and smelter that are necessary to any Dungeon Master's duty.  One floor below that is the unfinished dining room.  Until we have a new Dungeon Master, I think we'll use the space for spare furniture.

A stoneworker produced a fine bracelet and has led the charge in forming a new stonecrafter's union.  He announced one evening that his toys alone would pay for all of our imported food the next year.  We'll see if he's right, I suppose.  His petition for the use of raw adamantine for toy axes has been discarded.

The hospital expansion is well underway.  The miners and I consulted Derm and Zaroz regarding decoration to make the sitting rooms and recovery wards a bit homelier.

One of the war gorillas from the fort's monkey den has taken a liking to the Commander and spends many hours of the day in there, much to the Doctor's chagrin.

And last but not least, Dariush and Olin are new parents once again!  I'll be visiting them later to see how they're faring.

I am feeling... well, I suppose optimistic is the word I'll wager.  Gladness returns to our lives with gracious timing.  I have tasked Duck Guildmaster Duck with crafting an uplifting sign to go over our entrance, to remind us all that we share our grief, our joys, and importantly, our triumphs.

His Guildhall is still far from completion, but ground-level construction is nearly completed.  Building this thing has put an enormous drain on our wood reserves - it isn't that there aren't enough trees, it's that we can't cut them down fast enough to maintain high production rates.  Gods, I am really not looking forward to dealing with the Elves this coming Spring.

I think Duck is inspecting the groundwork right now.  He spends a healthy lot of time over there.

Obsidian 28th

The last victim of the Barony Day massacre passed away from his injuries.  Thanks to the expert care of Zaroz, most of the wounded survived with a few broken bones.   We cleaned up the site of the battle within a month, engraving the halls in memory of the fallen.

Investigations suggest the gate's opening was the result of intentional sabotage.  I have trouble believing there is a traitor among us, but the evidence speaaks for itself.  There was never any mechanism ordered attached to that bridge, but one was found after the incident, connecting it to a lever just near the trade depot.  Captain Worldlenses has expressed suspicion toward Chief Darius, but I won't believe that for a moment.  Dariush may be many things, but never a traitor to his own people.  I told him to extend the search.

Somehow, news of what we have unearthed has not reached the ears of the Court, or any that has was disregarded as nonsense.  I think I'm starting to understand why.  Few outposts have reported surviving a demonic attack.  The thought of us surviving or even thriving at a place beset by the hordes of the underworld is unlikely, in the way that a kobold is unlikely to be found teaching geometry lessons.  For better or worse, our dark secret stays in the shadow we throw on.

There is something that worries me beyond the pale, the fact that many dwarves have reporting hearing voices.  What I'd normally interpret as madness may reflect something else, given the place we find ourselves.  I asked the Liaison to repeat our request for experts in the ways of demons and their powers.  To defeat them, we must understand them.

If the demons below are indeed trying to influence us, it might explain our saboteur.  Of course, I may just wish to believe that no one here could be capable of selling us all out of their own impetus.

Jacen awoke to a loud knock at his bedroom door.  "Alarm!" came the shout.  Front gate, on the double!"  By the time he had fully dressed and emerged to the surface, most of the senior soldiers were already there forming a line.

One of Jacen's recruits, a middle-aged dwarf by the name of Sammy, came up to him.  "Where's everyone else?" he asked, noting the present lack of he and Jacen's squad mates.

"Probably still grabbing equipment," Jacen said.  "It's about time they get rid of that old iron stuff."  At least he had managed to scrounge up some adamantine mail for us own use.

Sammy looked at the goblin-make whip he'd been assigned.  "I don't really know how to use this thing yet," he observed.

"You're about to learn fast," Jacen said.  He spied the young Archery Captain - Impersonat, was it? - and approached her.  "What's going on?" he asked her.  She pointed.

Along the river, far south of the fort, sauntered a colossal, naked man.  He was looking down at something below the trees with a stupid smile on his gargantuan face.

"I didn't know there were giants in these parts," Sammy said.

"Giants, ettins, goblins, twilight men, giant walking sticks," Impersonat ticked a list off her fingers.  "Haven't yet seen a dragon, though."

An upset dwarf was heard shouting from over the walls.

"Aren't we going to do something?" Jacen asked.

"Our job is to guard the gate," Impersonat said.  "The Walled Creeds are already out there."

There was a loud crash; the trees shook and a wide plume of sandy dust flowed up, carried over the walls by the currents of wind.  A lookout from atop a watchtower said, "They got him!  All's clear!"

"Are you kidding me?" said Sammy as the order to stand down was given.  "All that so we could just stand here?"

"Count your blessings, Recruit," Impersonat said, unfastening and slinging the crossbow over her shoulder.  "Any day that you don't have to fight is a day that you might get to live."  She walked back toward the fort, her dog trotting at her side.

Kzel's requested office was completed toward the end of Winter, and he was making full use of it.  The furnaces had to be placed a few levels under where he would have preferred due to some poor planning by the miners, but the new location allowed quick and easy access to the metal stockpiles, and almost doubled the size of his holdings.

The structure of his new forge was comprised of pure adamantine.  It was enough to inspire his best, and as he lovingly shaped the silver bars in the soft blue moonglow of the truemetal mixed with the warm light of the magma, he knew that with this piece, he had outdone even himself.

The movement, the weight, the impeccable snap! -- it was magnificent, flexible brilliance.  Even the polish was perfect.

He needed no help from the supernatural, he thought, admiring his handiwork.  Time and effort were all that he needed.

(Research Progress: 7/10)

The Danger Room was packed full.  Jacen's recruits had graduated up to the fully-stacked facilities, ten times more dangerous than their last regimen.

Chief Broccoli was there, looking somewhat sweaty.  "I'd like to make this quick," he said.  "My wife is about to give birth any day now, and she's making me feel guilty about not being there."

Training began.  The spears went up, the spears went down.  The soldiers blocked, dodged, got smacked, and basically dealt with the oncoming wooden spears however they could.  The spears battered against the armor of the less-experienced Recruits, who would be shaken up, but otherwise unharmed by the constant barrage of wood.  It would only serve to toughen them, Jacen thought.

Everything was proceeding normally, Sammy even managing an impressive feat of parrying a strike of the spears by curling the whip around his fist, until without warning, everyone was covered in a spray of blood.

A dwarf bolted from the room leaving behind a steady red trail that seeped from a hole in his throat.  The Captain called for the Danger Room to cease.  The injured dwarf tore through barracks clutching his neck and collapsed in hall beyond, and quietly bled to death.

The Captain inspected the guilty spear:  It was of Elven design; not a training spear but a sharpened wooden pole more than capable of killing.  It would be very hard to believe this had been a previously-undetected accident: it was likely another act of sabotage.  She was certain of it now: only someone with mechanical expertise could have done this, and it was likely the same person who sabotaged the gate a month ago.  She would have to question each of the mechanics.

Sabotage.  It was not unheard of for such things to transpire at a fortress, but it would be a first for the Lanterns of Hail.  Dwarven fortresses operated under a veneer of trust, and to lose trust in one's comrades was almost as bad as being surrounded by enemies.

She knew she would have to remain distant while conducting her investigation.  The penalty for treason was death.

An atremental fog thickened the air around Aramco's quarters, where the Fortress Guard had been stationed.  An engraver by the name of Goden chipped away at a second of the wall with a chisel, sweating visibly.  The door leading to the quarters was yet locked, but Sethrist doubted that any such lock could hold against what was inside.  The Chief Armorsmith had returned to work despite what she'd been through and produced a number of new pieces for the military's use.

With an air of apprehension, Captain Worldlenses was saying, "I can't believe you were talked into this."  She scratched her head with the spike of her adamant hammer.

Sethrist answered, his eyes remaining on the door.  "I've been thinking.  The demon fled once outnumbered in the caverns and holed itself up in here.  It doesn't want to fight us, and that's the perfect time to attack."

"And what if you're wrong?  What if that's what the demon wants us to think?"

The door seemed to loom above them from the wall.  "Whatever the reason for the demon taking these quarters, we can't allow it to stay there.  Whatever it's doing, it needs to be stopped.  Poking holes in the wall around it may be just what we need to provoke it."

"Almost there, Overseer," the engraver said, tapping away at the stone to a rhythm.  "You'll have a good hole in the wall in no time."

Emerald eyes spawned up along the wall, myriad and blinking.  The stoneworker fell back with a start, yelping.

What are you doing? the voice of the demon called out.

"Ignore her, Goden."  Sethrist crossed his arms.  "Please continue the carving."

Goden gave a long look at the adamantine-clad bowdwarves behind him, and turned back to the wall.  As he drew close to it, a set of teeth came out of the wall and snapped at him.  The engraver turned and gave the soldiers a helpless shrug.

A crash was heard from within the quarters.  The front door burst open and a long mass of slime constricted around a recruit's neck and dragged him inside.

Not again!  Sethrist thought in horror.  "Don't just stand there!" he raged, racing to the door.  "Save him!"

He entered the room, now painted in old blood and littered with bleached fragments of dead bone.  The demon's putresesnt form suspended from the ceiling like a brooding fungus.  The recruit dangled from the ceiling by his leg, held there by the force of the slime, which engulfed the recruit by the head and squeezed tightly.

Dwarves streamed into the room, giving pause to the horrible sights and smells that greeted them. 

As the dwarves gaped in their astonishment, more squamous tentacles dropped from the central mass and snatched up two more of the guards, dragging them swiftly to the ceiling from where the monster writhed and pulsated.

Sethrist felt the slime around his leg before he could jump away.  He jabbed with this spear to no avail before he was yanked to the ground and dragged upward.  Mouths framed by eyes grew out of the slime and ravened at the soldiers from the heights of the room.  The demon's humanoid form appeared in the center of the room as the entire force of dwarves tried desperately to stave off the advances of the amorphous slime.  "Do you understand?" she said.  "I am only one among countless others like me!  There are more of us than grains of sand, and here you struggle with me!  You will be ground to dust."

An axedwarf in adamantine clamored with his weapon held high.  "For the Pale Diamond!" he yelled, and took a leap toward the unsuspecting demon.  Surprised by the sudden ferocity of the axedwarf's attack, she reeled backwards when the glittering axe came out from beneath the dwarf's cloak and separated her wing from her.  Droplets of slime fell to the floor.

"For the Lanterns of Hail!" cried a Swordsdwarf.  Following the shrieking retreat, he charged forth and delivered his sword across the demon's torso.

The weapon lodged there, its bluish glow passing through the demon's false skin, and from the wound drew greenish cracks.  With a puzzled expression as the fracture spread through her, the demon turned her hands to her face and crumbled to dust.  The slime wavered and crashed in a wave against the floor and moved no more.

The dwarves looked at the room around them in disbelief.  After a few moments, they realized they'd won and started to cheer.

"See?" Captain Worldlenses said breathlessly from the floor.  "They're all talk, these demons.  They die well enough."

Sethrist was temped to join in the cheering.  "Hail Meng Locunkadol, Slayer of the Brute!"  the soldiers exclaimed, hoisting the unsuspecting dwarf upon their shoulders and carrying him from the room, all of them draped in demon slime.

It all seemed too easy, but a darkness had lifted both from their hearts and from the entire fort, which sat beneath a palpable gloom throughout the past month.  The fog in the forge levels had started to dissipate.  But he couldn't spare time to relax, knowing the demon was right about one thing: they had struggled here, and they would have to do better the next time, for there were still many more out there.

Aramco was handling a bag filled with the belongings of an axedwarf who'd been killed in her quarters; a fact that struck her as unpredicted.  She walked with Count Kulet, who was himself carrying a pile of the soldier's old clothes.

"So," the Count said, not knowing what else to say.  "Er, I hear your quarters are free again."

Aramco nodded, looking at the bag in her grasp.

"So."  The Count shifted uncomfortably.  "Will you be moving back in?"

"I don't know."  Aramco looked at him.  "I just ran.  The thing came into my room and I just ran for it.  I didn't even try to help."  The bags beneath her eyes seemed to darken.

"Oh, lass."  The Count looked at her sadly.  He set the pile of clothes down on a nearby casket and reached out to give her a hug.  She cried softly on his shoulder.

"You did what any dwarf in your boots would have done," he said.  "You know that?"

When the Count moved off to place the soldier's belongings in his grave, Aramco took in the rows of coffins around her.   The dust settled about seemed old, despite the recentness of the rough-hewn walls.  It won't suffice she thought.  Our accomplishments and endeavors, however grand our dreams, whatever they be, amount to this.  One grave in a crowd.

Aramco sat on the floor.  Not me, she thought.  My name will live beyond the petty grave.

Count Kulet returned to help her to her feet, and together they went off for a drink.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2011, 05:31:23 pm »

It came to him in a dream:

After creating an artifact leather cap, Inod Avaloddom went on to request permission to use adamantine for decorating quivers.  His request was denied.

It was later that evening after suppertime when Captain Worldlenses knocked on the door of the Chief Engineer's office.  This was an unpleasant task.

A reply came from behind the closed door.  "Unless you're my wife with some good news, go away, please."

"It's the Captain of the Guard, Chief.  May I enter?"

"Are you my wife?"  The question was lined with annoyance.

"Please," the Captain said.  "I need to ask you a few questions regarding the gate incident."

"I've already dealt with your cronies," the Engineer said from inside.  "I've spent my last two years trying to keep you morons safe from elves and goblins and this is the thanks I get.  No thank you, Captain, you can stay out of my office for now."

The Captain exhaled raggedly and considered my options.  She was more a fan of justice than the law.  Dwarven law was a fickle thing that stood in the way of the just in certain times.  There was no way she could justify harassing a noble, the spouse of the Mayor, no less, not in the eyes of the law.  But she did not think this dwarf, spouse of the Mayor, father of three, would endanger their lives, this fort that offered him a fulfilling life.  She did not suspect him, but she did need information.

She tried a different approach.  Her voice took on an almost pleading tone.  "I don't think you're guilty," she said.  "But I do think it was one of your staff.  I need your help to figure out who it was."

"You promise you're not here to arrest me."  It was not an inquiry, it was a demand.

"I promise."  It was the truth.

There was a moment's pause, followed by the click of the door unlocking.  "Come in, then," Dariush said, poking out his head to peer around the outside of his office.  "Don't touch anything."

One of the things that kept Impersonat returning to the surface was the song of birds.  One never found that in the caves, unless one was in the presence of a human mining effort.  The cries of Elk Birds, far from soothing as they were, did not count.

The grass had a cerulean tinge to it, standing out against the bright mosses growing along the base of the trees.  It really was beautiful here, a reminder of why she had first come, and a welcome respite from that below which ever threatened to consume them.

As she walked, the birdsong took on a frantic tone.  Her dog started growling at a section of trees, the bushes alongside it rustled.  Impersonat drew her crossbow.  Out of the brush, the goblins emerged, four with bows drawn.  A goblin at the front with a spear gave out a guttural screech, and the goblins fired.

So this is how I die, Impersonat thought.  But a sudden calmness took her.  Her thoughts turned to SalmonGod, remembering what she had seen when he died.  By sheer reflex, she managed to pull behind a tree before the arrows shot her down.

There was a yelp, her dog limped toward her, its paw cut from an arrow that grazed it.  Impersonat felt the molten anger rise within her.  Her expression grim, she stepped out from the tree and fired three shots, one after the other with incredible speed.

Two of her bolts found their marks; one in a bowgoblin's gut, the other piercing their leader's chest.  Cursing and spitting, the bowgoblin's readied another volley and fired before Impersonat could take cover once again.  She saw the arrows heading for her, and knew, in that split-second before they'd hit, that she was about to die.  A single loud, pained bark rang out.  The dog had jumped in front of the arrows before they'd reached her, gave Impersonat one last look and lay still.

As if aware they'd made a grave mistake, the goblins turned and fled when she let out an enraged yell and charged toward them.  Her bolts chased them far into the wood until she lost sight of the two fortunate enough to escape her wrath.

"Don't come back!"  she screamed, firing the last of her bolts carelessly into the line of trees.  "I'll slit your stinkin' throats!"'

The invaders run off, Impersonat returned to the dog who'd saved her life, who'd given itself over loyally to her when she hadn't even bothered to give it a name.  The injuries looked bad, but there was at least a slim chance the animal would survive.

"You're a hero," she said to the whimpering dog.  She took off her cloak and pressed it against the canine's wounds.  "Don't die on us now, okay?  We need more heroes."

At the other side of the fort, to the east, the Walled Creeds were mopping up the remains of the attacking force, who had been wholly defeated by Derm's dwarves, who grew only more skilled and better equipped with each passing month.

Quakemortal's forces had been mobilized to save the dwarves caught outside when the goblins came, and all but one had survived:  an apprentice woodworker, building the walls to the Carpenter's Guildhall when the fighting began.

Sethrist approached the body slowly.  He wanted the dwarf to be living, breathing when he got there, but the amount of blood made the outlook poor.  The dwarf's eyes stared up at the sky motionlessly, staring but looking at nothing.

The wind blew the reeds around them.  Sethrist knelt down and took hold of the dwarf's wrist.  It was cold and claylike, as though it had become less a part of a person than a soft extension of the ground.

The Overseer stood slowly.  "I failed you," he said to the corpse.  "What kind of leader allows his people to die?"

He couldn't move his frozen eyes from the corpse, so he watched, and as he did so, the body looked less and less like a person.  Whatever had made the dwarf who he was had passed out of him with the blood.

This could be any of us, Sethrist thought.  So easily.

As the wind rose in chilling fierceness, Sethrist picked up the woodworker's body and solemnly carried it back to the fortress. 

Rimtar's Journal, excerpts

The child of a popular wax worker was reported missing in the wake of the recent goblin attack.  We have now assumed the worst and have given up looking.  Poor Melbil is distraught, but she should have known better than to bring her kid outside to look for some socks during a massive ambush, so my sympathy is limited -- for the mother, not the child.  Poor kid never asked to have an idiot for a mother, I'm sure.

I had the pleasure of meeting with Duck today about the Carpenter's Guildhall.  He wanted to know why wooden block production had slowed.

"Actually," I informed him, "it's stopped completely.  We're completely out of wood."

"Are you sure we're out of wood?" said the Guildmaster.  "I put the finishing touches on a bed but one hour ago."

"You might have used the last log in the fort for it," I said.  "Face it, Du... Guildmaster.  You're using too much wood too fast.  The loggers can't keep up."

After some deliberation we agreed that production on blocks would halt for a few months while our wood reserves build back up. They've already increased dramatically.

A soldier named Fath was ambushed by giant swamp rats while looting a fallen goblin in the forest.  His dog was brutally murdered before his eyes.

Sadly, it doesn't end there.  Fath returned to the fort a bloody mess, missing his entire right arm.

He amazes me.  He's completely refused medical attention and has resumed his duties without even a day of rest.  even as I write, he is, pale with blood loss, training with the other soldiers.  Extraordinary.

Seth took the fortress guard on a hunt for the vicious creature and came back with a body.  We'll be cooking it, though I doubt Fath will want any.

Finally, some hunter made some fancy bone leggings a few days ago.  I doubt anyone in the military will actually want to wear them, given all the adamantine mail Aramco's been making, but it's nice to know we have another dwarf to produce bolts.  One's fortress can never have enough bolts.

I'm worried about Seth.  The pressures of leading this place have been getting to him.  He's deeply troubled, but keeps to himself.  He spends hours in his quarters alone.  He's rarely seen in public anymore, but when I go to his quarters, he isn't there.  Whatever his trouble, I hope he snaps out of it soon.

"No one must know what you have uncovered," the Overseer had said.

"But sir!  It threatens us all!" Reg had protested.  In his fifty-one years as a miner, he'd never been given such a dubious order.

"You must tell no one."  The Overseer was insistent.

"This is payback," he'd said to the masons commissioned to build the first stairs and walls.  "They invaded our home, and so we shall take the fight to theirs."

It was a secret to everybody.  Only a few miners and masons, Captain Worldlenses and her squad were told.  Not even Rimtar knew, and Sethrist knew she might never forgive him for that, but he had to strike while the opportunity remained so raw and exposed.  He knew when he had seen into the vast canyon of the underworld the miners had uncovered.  The demons had gathered their forces in the caves above the pit.  The Underworld itself lay open -- nearly undefended.

There were some setbacks, like a huge feathered worm that tried to subdue their encroachment, duly dealt with.

While the hordes of the abyss watched over the Gate leading to Quakemortal that had so recently opened, the dwarves worked beneath them every hour of the day.  A bridge of adamantine was placed in mockery of their foes on the outside of the gate facing the burning caves beyond.

The stone of the Underworld was peculiar, more like a metal, cold despite the magma all around, jagged and harder than anything Sethrist had ever felt.  The bridge was already bathed in demonic blood, spilled from a lonesome donkey-headed fiend that had come too close to investigate them.  It's arrival was met with the blades and bolts of dwarves too often wronged in too short a time by the goblins above and the demons below, such that their wrath gave pause to even the stygian hordes that now, watching the dwarves build in their world, kept their distance.

Sethrist looked at the gate, not yet connected to any lever, painted in blood dark as pitch.  Tonight he would have to hold a meeting with the Chiefs of Staff.  There was a new front to this war, one that could no longer be kept secret.  The coming year would be their most challenging yet.  If the demons abandoned their watch over the gate to the great pit, they could possibly sneak in and seal it off for good... but the demons would surely attempt to attack through the new gate directly connected to the Underworld.  It would have to be guarded at all times, without fail.

Impersonat looked around.  She knew where she was, but she didn't know how she'd got there.  The black stone rolled out in jagged hills as far as she could see, pockmarked by those eerie chasms that still haunted her sleep.  Am I dreaming now? she wondered.

There was something in the distance, white and furry and four-legged.  Her dog Domas (as she'd come to call it).  Had he followed her there?  She couldn't remember.  There was something else.  She strained to make out the details:  A tall-standing creature with the head of a donkey.  The creature grabbed hold of the dog.  What was it doing?

She gasped as the creature turn to her: the dog was missing its eyes.  The monster laughed and tossed the dog down a sharp hill into the glowing crimson chasm below.  The demon turned to the soldier and gave her a frightening grin.  "We have your dog!" it brayed maniacally.  "We have your dog, we have your dog!"

As the dog fell, the creature flew into the pit after it, both shapes disappearing into the yawning redness.  Impersonat ignored the fluttering of her heart in the wake of what she'd witnessed and gathered her crossbow to wait by the edge of the pit.  If the monster ever came out, she was going to make it pay.

There was a voice reaching for her, not so much heard as felt.  It tugged at her attention, and, seized by a terrible urge to leap into the pit with abandon, she forced herself to lie flat on the floor.  From there, the great ceiling of the Underworld stretched out endlessly, an infernal red skyline of molten rock with silvery blue, softly glowing stars, a firmament of fire.

Come closer, the voice called out to her.

Impersonat shivered and crawled away from the pit, daring not to gaze within.

(OOC:  Dwarves with Hunting enabled are now heading straight for the Fun Zone whenever the path is open, despite the fact that there are no animals down there, or that the outside surface is completely accessible and filled with roaming buffalo.  We're at the point where you tell a dwarf to "go Hunt," and they take it to mean "go grab a bow and stalk demons in Hell."

I'm going to start putting prominent civilians in squads so they actually wear clothes, so anyone who wants their dwarf to wear specific stuff, please say so.  Duck is now walking around with a (+willow long sword+) he got from the Elves.  Aramco and Kzel are in adamantine.  Broccoli's is as requested, the soldiers have their stuff, but Doc Zaroz hasn't been put in a squad yet.  I'm thinking clothes, a robe and the artifact cap would be nice.)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2011, 05:37:27 pm »

I hope the new version comes out soon, if only so you can get it and I can stop feeling slightly useless.

Creeeeeaaaaak
*Snap*
Dammit.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14