Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Quakemortal: Perdition's Gate (Community Fort, Spoilers)  (Read 53892 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Quakemortal (Community Story Fort) (Spoiler!)
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 03:45:07 pm »

Log of Derm, Seth's office.

"You want me to be the leader of the Fortress Guard?" Derm looked quite peeved. "Really."

"Erm." Seth said. "Yes. It's an honored position, and will allow quite a bit more authority..."

"That's bullshit and you know it. The only thing a Captain gets to do is punish criminals that are imprisoned on order of insane nobles for someone else breaking or failing to fulfill a mandate."

"Erm. But there are no nobles around at the moment..."

"They always show up sooner or later. They're like ants. And anyway, since the death of Crumby, I am the most experienced close combat dwarf you have. Fortress guards do just that, guard the fortress. They aren't allowed to partake in preventing Goblins from breaching the fortress or daemons breaching the depths unless they happen to be near the action at the time."

"Then who would you suggest do it? There has to be one."

"I would recommend some exceptionally weak peasant from the labor force. The conventional military is the last line of defence, the fortress guard just deals with internal matters. Don't give him any equipment either, or perhaps just an adamantine hammer of sorts. The less dwarves we lose the better."

Seth sighs. "Fine. I'm fairly sure your wrong in some points, but it's your decision. I'll look for someone else."

Derm nods. "Appreciated sir."

Log of Derm, Barracks:

"Alright, who can tell me what Crumby did wrong today?"

Silence.

"I Said, What did Crumby do wrong!?"

A hand was raised.

"You, Lor."

"Um, he went alone?"

"CORRECT! He charged into a goblin party alone. Recruit, what happened when he did that?"

"Um... he died?"

"CORRECT AGAIN! Lesson one, NEVER go into battle alone. The goblins will surround you, and YOU WILL DIE. It did not matter what Crumbys prowess was, as soon as he left the group, HE WAS DEAD. Teamwork is the key here people! And for this reason it is why we are put into squads."

He peered at he group of nine assembled in front of him.

"It is my job to teach all of you how to fight, how to battle, and ultimately, how to win. There will be no glory for any one of you, for all glory goes to all of us as a whole! We will move as one, act as one, and strike as one! Any loners and rebels will be CUT DOWN like so much as grass! It is for this reason that you shall get to know each other. Familiarity, trust, and friendship is what makes the oil of the great machine called battle. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?"

"Sir yes sir!"

"That's more like it! Now, get into sparring formation, talk time is over."
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 05:25:41 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 05:23:55 pm »

Well, this fort is too awesome to not be dwarfed in. I would like to be dwarfed as a armorsmith, or if none are available, a mason.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 08:26:39 pm »

Excerpt from Impersonat's mad scribblings on a lone wall

it was calling me it is still calling me i'm no longer looking at it and still i see it oh by the gods what god permits it to exist so deep feel like i fell inside however there i am hellish thing stuck in my head or is it me who's still stuck in it can't be why didn't anybody warn me why am i there
abyss staring at me
staring at the abyss and abyss staring back at me i was the abyss
must focus on something else
nothing happened
so deep
focus

---

Some time later, Impersonat seemed to have calmed down, but nothing she had done had helped getting rid of a paranoid sparkle in her deep-sunken eyes.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 04:41:50 am »

Spoiler: Broccoli (click to show/hide)

Quakemortal is a nice enough place to live, but they haven't got even a single ballista part to spare!  You simply had to speak up about it, and your initiative has landed you the position of Chief of Siege Operations.

You haven't been given any official orders, but you were recently pleased to discover that a new siegeworks has gone up in the residential sector of the fort, and it doesn't seem to yet be in use.  Now you have to decide what to do with the parts you're about to make.

-----

Spoiler: Aramco (click to show/hide)

With most of the metalworking industry occupied by the engineering mandates, you've nonetheless been honing your skills.  Now the magma forges are ready, and as Chief Armorsmith, you were the among the first to see it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A forge has been assigned to you personally, for you to use as you see fit, but extant law prohibits you from working with adamantine.  There is plenty of steel though, enough for you to create new suits of mail and plate to protect the lives of Quakemortal's soldiers. 

-----

Zaroz:

You have a dilemma.  One of the soldiers, Zuntir, has yet to recover from his injuries.

The wound is quite serious, and you doubt he'll ever walk again.  What's more, he's asked you to help him die, saying he'd rather be dead than confined to a hospital bed.

What do you do?

-----

SalmonGod:

Fishing is a dangerous profession in these goblin-infested lands.  Fortunately, you never leave without your crossbow.

And, scarce as game is these days, you've managed to snag a buffalo.

Sadly, there is no archery range for you to practice at, and that really should be remedied, hopefully sooner than later.

-----

Kzel:

You've moved into your new quarters just one flight of stairs away from the new foundry, and you're making good use of it.

When not contributing to the fulfillment of the Engineer's mandate for blades, you've been making steel weapons for the military.  Now, after many months and many insufficient pieces, you have created something that not even you can find a flaw with.

You tested the edge against a piece of leather, and determined that a strong enough dwarf could cleave rocks with it.  It's been sent to the Crafter's Hall for decoration.  It speaks for itself, and you're confident it will be enough.

-----

Derm:

A few pieces of clothing have been produced for your appraisal.  At the moment, your soldiers have very loose equipment requirements, and the assignment of specialized uniforms would let you control what they bring into battle.

Since the magma foundry has started, you and your soldiers have access to some decent steel and iron equipment.  You yourself have chosen a truly excellent steel axe.  A standard training schedule has begun, and under your training they should prove to be capable in the coming months, but you haven't ordered anyone into the Danger Room yet.

-----

Duck:

A new dormitory has been built above your office.  It's accessed by a bridge which you made sure could be retracted to close over the doors, sealing the house off from the fort.  Now all you need is a food stockpile and a pick, and in theory, you can survive anything!  Goblins and spirits of mist and darkness are no match for a well-made wooden block drawbridge.

-----

Dariush:

You've made yet another masterpiece to your name.  A gorgeous piece indeed.

The Overseer wants only your best to go into these weapon traps, and that's what he's getting.  There are a little over a hundred blades ready (there was a bit of a hiccup when iron reserves ran unexpectedly low), but it's enough for a fine layer of traps.

On your way back into the fort, you hear some news:  another master mechanic has emerged.

A little voice in your head chimes in:  Wait, what?  This guy showed up less than three weeks ago and he's already acting like he owns the place.  And really, adamantine?  It's like he has 'trying too hard' written on his face.  You went out of the way to ensure your master work didn't touch the Overseer's precious ore, and yet this fellow gets praised for it when his does?

When you get back to work the next day, you find a small note attached to the workbench.  It reads,  "Soon there'll be a new Chief Engineer around here!  Get ready to give up your office!  ~Etur"

Of course, you realize this means war.

Joke's on him anyway, you don't even have an office.

(OOC:  I'm trying to decide between longer, less-frequent updates and shorter, more-frequent updates, but I'm leaning toward the latter, since that would let this be more real-time.  FPS has dropped even further, but I like the slower pace, so it's all good.)

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
  • Right in the goddamn FACE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2011, 05:55:19 am »

From the log of Broccoli, Chief of Siege Operations:

That's right: Chief of Siege Operations. It doesn't exactly take a lot to become chief of anything here, you basically just tell Seth: "Hey, you know what's neat? Catapults." and BAM! You're in charge of an entire department.
Everyone here seems pretty stressed out about everything. I'm guessing it's because everyone wants to get their hands on the adamantine we dug out. The stuff seems kind of overrated. Sure it LOOKS nice but it's way too light to be of any kind of use to me.
Anyway, I'm guessing people expect me to lay down some defenses. I guess I could build some ballistas near the gate so I could---

"Boy, adamantine sure does suck, doesn't it?"

The voice sounded like somebody was dragging an angry cat made out of fingernails across a chalkboard.
"Who is this?" I asked

"Know what you should do?", the voice resumed, "You should just destroy all of it."

"I don't think that's a good idea. Everyone seems to love the stuff."

"And see what it has done to these poor people! It has created greed, rivalry and hatred!"

"Well I guess that's true..."

"So get a pickaxe and DESTROY it. Destroy ALL of it!"

"I have a better idea!"

"Destroy it! Free us!"

"I will build a catapult!"

"Yes! Build a cata- wait, what?"

"Not just any catapult. This will be the mother of all catapults!"

"How would that-"

"Legends will be written about this catapult! It shall be my masterpiece!"

"That's great and all but I really don't see how this will-"

"And when it's done I will use it to tear down THIS ENTIRE FORTRESS!"

"Dude, that's kinda messed u-"

"And from the ashes I shall create a Utopia! A fort without adamantine, hatred or greed!"

"I'm pretty sure catapults can't destroy forts. It's probably easier to just get a pickax-"

"I will have to practise, first. I'm just going to keep making catapults until I make one that is perfect."

"Tell you what: If you help me out of this prison I'll help you destroy the fort-"

"I'm going to need wood. Lots and lots of wood!" I screamed as I ran off to the siege workshop.

The office was now empty.

"That is one messed up little dwarf.", said a second voice.

The first voice nodded in agreement.
"And that's another failed escape plan."

"Don't worry, we'll get out some day."

"I guess", the voice sighed, "Hey, wanna go freak out that bone doctor again?"

"Sure!"

The voices left. The office was now slightly emptier.
If sad, apply kittens.

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2011, 12:29:53 pm »

Kzel's Journal, Entry 9

I have done it! I was right, the heat magma provides is far better suited for quality work than the uneven fire and heavy smoke of coal forges. This morning, I felt inspired, and when I later inspected the spear whether it had any flaw, I could see none. The handle bends perfectly but does not break. The tempered steel tip is sharp. The overall weight is perfectly balanced. Really, nothing but an artifact could beat this quality of work. I've asked for good bone carvers and metalcrafters to decorate the blade with the best they can find. Hopefully no image of Crumby's demise will make it onto my masterpiece.

Kzel's Journal, Entry 10

A new mechanic has made its appearance today, using nothing else but raw adamantine. The thing is estimated worth millions, but I can't really get myself to like it. The adamantine is raw and unprocessed, unable to reveal its true beauty as it does in wafer form. The mechanism is made of stone, and the outer rock containing the strands of true metal is subject to erosion. What bothers me the most is that this person used adamantine without permission, to create an object that doesn't benefit the slightest from the properties of its component. As much as Dariush's order put a strain on my schedule, he never sought to use the rare metal, despite his legendary status acquired long ago.

The current update pace is fine with me, I usually check the forum once per day.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2011, 12:34:44 pm »

Log of Derm, Barracks wall, Equipment manifest.

All right people, it seems we have a bit of a squabble over who gets what. I expected better of you. First thing first! Everybody is going to wear One (1) chainmail armor underneath one (1) Breastplate, One (1) High quality Robe of any material, One (1) pair of Greaves, Two (2) Gauntlets, Two (2) High boots, and One (1) Helm, One (1) Decent quality Cape over the backside, and One (1) Shield if applicable.
Additional layers of cloth or chainmail is highly preferred, but optional.

You are to get the  highest quality metal, then the highest quality workmanship.

Iron<Bronze<Steel<Adamantine

Anyone who is already decent with a weapon can still use it. Anyone who is not, find a weapon that we do not have or are short on and equip it. Variety is a necessity.

- Fikod, Axedwarf (injured)
- Zuntir, Speardwarf  (I have heard he may not recover. Good wishes to him, but if he does not make it, his replacement shall use Maces.)
- Lor, Recruit New weapon, Swords.
- Unib, Speardwarf
- Tholtig, Speardwarf
- Catten, Swordsdwarf
- Meng, Recruit New weapon, Hammer
- Zuntir, Recruit New weapon, Hammer
- Kogan, Recruit New weapon, Mace

Note to Hammer and Mace users: Silver is currently the best metal for those weapons. If you so much as glance at an adamantine version I will be most displeased.

Attention all! We start use of the danger room in one (1) week! Make sure you have your equipment on or you will go in without it.

(OOC: Take as much time as you need. I prefer quality over quantity. But high quality high quantity is good too.)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:38:54 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2011, 05:46:37 pm »

(OOC: Less frequent updates are good for me too.  I'll mainly be looking at this while at work, where I won't be for the next two days.)

Sethrist finds a note on his desk addressed to him from SalmonGod:

Hunting and fishing is proving dangerous these days even for the manliest of outdoorsdwarfs, what with the gobbos about.  A pack of war animals to follow me around would make my job much easier, without buggering anyone else to stand guard or patrol for me when they could be doing something useful.  An animal for each marksdwarf would also save lives should a melee opponent ever manage to close distance. 

If no ones stepped up to the position, Im willing to begin total domination of nature for the good of my chest hair the fortress.  If granted the position, Id like a two-story above-ground construction of microcline.  The first level for the kennel and stockpiles for creatures and cages.  The second level for my bedroom, with fortifications for crossbow firing available on each wall.

Speaking of the archers, they're not very manly.  Could definitely use some training.  They need some facilities, or maybe just an appointment with the commander.  Some above-ground barracks would probly do them some good as well, for quick response to threats.  Maybe that neon palace building I mentioned earlier could actually be three stories.  Second story barracks for my squad.  Third story my bedroom.  Fortifications so we can shoot things.  Southeast corner of the inner courtyard looks like a good spot.

I'm off to find more buffalo to feed you hungry bastards!  Hope I don't get ambushed while I'm out there, or you'll all miss the taste of meat!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

powpow

• Bay Watcher
  • (UTC+10:00) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2011, 08:59:21 pm »

i wanna be dorf as welll
name: sammy
any gender
maybe a swordsdwarf\wrestler who trains themselves in the danger room for 2 years straight with nothing but armour in a personal mission to become a true warrior cappable of defending quakemortal

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2011, 02:43:15 pm »

Carpenter's Log:

I finally finished the plans for the Crafthall today. It will be a truly grand structure, and dwarves will come from miles around to marvel at its ligneous splendor. I immediately went to the Overseer's office.

"Duck!" he said, "How are you liking your office?"

"It's quite nice," I told him. "I especially like the wood paneling."

"And the new dorm we built for you? How is that?"

"It will work for now," I said. "I've drawn up some plans for a proper Guild Hall."

I handed him the blueprints.

Spoiler: The Blueprints (click to show/hide)

"This is... quite a project," he said, as he unfolded the blueprints and looked them over.

"I think you should build it above ground," I told him, "but if you decide to put it underground, make sure that both the floors and the ceilings are made of wood."

"Um," he said.

"Yes?"

"This is going to require quite a lot of logs..."

"Only around two thousand," I assured him. "And I can give you some advice on the use of scaffolding and how to properly plan the construction."

"I appreciate the offer, Duck, but I'm not sure I can devote that many resources to the Guild," he said.

"We can share it with the siege engineers," I told him. "We could put some siege workshops in the basement in exchange for their help building this."

"I'll ask them," he said, "but even so, I really need to focus on fighting the demons."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine," I said. "If you really must fight the 'demons', this can be a long-term, low-priority project."

I left his office, feeling frustrated. I can't believe he thinks his metaphysical foes are a more pressing concern than building a glorious monument to carpentry. I had to go and plane some logs to calm myself down.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 02:46:06 pm by DuckThatQuacks »

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
  • Right in the goddamn FACE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2011, 04:33:54 pm »

From the log of Broccoli, Chief of Siege Operations:

"A BASEMENT! You're offering me a mere BASEMENT!?" I yelled.

"It's not just any basement, you know", the carpenter said, "it's the basement to the finest guildhall that will ever be! It's really quite an honor to-"

"But I'll be working in a storage room?"

"Well if you put it like that-"

"KILL THE DISRESPECTFUL ONE!"

"Shut up!" I said

"Pardon me?!" the carpenter seemed surprised.

"Not you."

"Oh, all right then. It's really quite roomy, if you'll just take a look at the blueprints I'm sure-"

"Shut up." I said as I snagged the blueprints from him. They really were quite impressive."Are we even going to house this many carpenters?"

"Oh for sure! Once it's finished all the carpenters in the world will want to join our guild."

I examined the blueprints again, "Alright, I'll help." I grabbed a piece of chalk, "But I'm gonna need more than just a basement."

"What are you-"

"I'm gonna need a subbasement!"

Spoiler: The Blueprints (click to show/hide)

"What's that?" He pointed at a crude drawing in the middle of the blueprint.

"That's a catapult."

"What, facing the stairs?"

"Aye."

"Seems dangerous."

"That's 'cause it is!"

"Why do you need it?"

"To smash invaders, of course."

"And do you really need a desk THAT big?"

"Yup."

"It seems kind of... Extravagant."

"Call it what you will. If you want my help I'm gonna need this." I gave him his blueprints back. "By the way, I don't care if this floor is made from wood or dug out of stone. Now scram! I got a catapult to build!"

If sad, apply kittens.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2011, 06:40:18 pm »

Carpenter's Log:
I've just come back from my meeting with the head siege engineer. I had hoped that, as fellow woodworkers, we might get along famously, but it was not to be. He treated me without any of the respect that I am due as Head of the Carpenter's Guild. Also, his demands for a private office and workshop in the Guildhall (with an enormous desk to boot) are completely contrary to the sense of community that underpins the Order of the Freecarpenters. And he was willing to countenance non-wooden furnishings! I can't believe it! I don't care if it means our Guildhall will take another ten years to build -- he can take his crummy blueprints and build his siege workshops someplace else.

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2011, 07:08:47 pm »

Kzel's Journal, Entry 11

I've just overheard the recent plans of the carpenter and siege engineer guilds. How couldn't I, they are rather vocal about their disagreements, and the whole fortress is now awaiting Sethrist's final decision. There is one thing they agree about though : they want wood. Hundreds, no, thousands of logs to build houses, machine parts, crossbows, furniture or whatever else strikes their fancy. Wood is best used for charcoal, to power smelters or for use in steel production, not for useless construction ! Sometimes I wonder if some of the dwarves here don't spend too much time above ground, and get influenced by tree-hugger or tall-one architecture. Just the thought of going under the sun almost makes me puke.

Hmmm, a steel building for the metalsmith guild, now that would be a grand sight indeed... I'll have to talk about our chief armorer and furnace operator about it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 07:10:23 pm by kzel »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2011, 07:03:52 am »

Great. I've got a rival.

So far he hasn't done anything particularly rival-ish except crafting mechanisms, so I guess he can be put out of the picture for a while.

There are more pressing concerns right now.

Yesterday in dining room behind a mug of beer I learned from one of the recruits that one of the most important factors in our last ambush was elves' irresponsibility. How could the trehuggers bring the green menace into our glorious fortress?! This shall not stand. I'm bringing the plans for an elf-capturing machine right now.
Also, the demonic voice in my head urging me to destroy the bridge to the caverns is getting louder and more distracting with every passing day. It seems to have been joined by other voices. Thus, I'll ask the Overseer to construct me an isolated bedroom, dining room, food and drink stockpile and mechanic's workshop (made out of adamantine, no less) where I can quietly contemplate plans for new machines and make mechanisms without being distracted by other dwarves and without fear to give in to demonic voices.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: Ùshrirtunom (Community Story Fort, Spoilers!)
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2011, 07:28:14 am »

Deep beneath the surface of the earth, Lanternlands the Fire Imp was having the time of his life.  The current of magma he swam in was moving rapidly through an open underground cavern he'd never before seen, and he laughed gleefully as the molten rock carried him along the surface.  Suddenly the magma fell off a sharp bank, and he went along with it, delighted at the sudden increase in velocity, especially the way it made his tummy feel.

"Weeeee!" he squealed, and as he fell into the eerily glowing pit, his cry slowly faded, and soon vanished.

It was the first of Slate.  Sethrist had been in the Danger Room most of the previous month (after some last-minute business with the other Chiefs of Staff), and was due to emerge from the Danger Room any day now.  Kzel wanted to be the first person to see him once he did.  He waited outside with the spear he'd made, listening to the mechanical sounds of the training spears as they thumped back and forth.

The sound suddenly stopped.  A few moments went by, and the door opened.  After a few moments, Sethrist limped into the hallway, spear in hand.  His beard was crusted with old blood, the clothes he had donned for training had fallen to wet rags.  His month in the Room had made him gaunt to the point of being skeletal, and Kzel found it unnerving to look at him.  There was a far-off look in his eyes, as though the force behind them had grown vaguer, more distant.

"Seth!" Kzel called out. "How do you feel?" He asked, as much out of discourse as of concern.

"Thirsty," said Sethrist.  "Tired."  He looked around the hallway, as if unsure where they were.  "What day is it?" he asked.

"It's the first of Slate," Kzel said.  "Didn't you know?"

"I had guessed.  It's hard to keep track of the days in there.  I was marking the walls whenever I slept."

Kzel looked surprised.  "You slept in there?"

"Sure.  There's a spot on the floor where the spears won't hit you if you position yourself properly.  It took me a while to find, though."  He rubbed his right shoulder and winced.  "Now, please excuse me, but I..."

"Actually, there's something I wanted to discuss," Kzel pressed.  "If I could accompany you for that drink, perhaps?

Sethrist nodded, leaning on his weapon to keep steady, and said, "Lead the way."  The Dining Hall was quiet and mostly unoccupied when they arrived, early in the morning as it was.  Most people here preferred their breakfast booze in the privacy of their own bedrooms.

"Yes, adamantine," the Weaponsmith was saying.  "Given the state of events, I don't think we should wait any longer."

Sethrist was impressed by the spear Kzel offered to him: remarkably well-made, moreso than any he had personally seen, much less held.  Torchlight danced across the intricate folds of metal.  Seashells dangled from the head of it, twined with what look like steel wire.

"You made this?" he said to the Weaponsmith.

"Indeed," Kzel nodded.  "I think it's my finest work yet.  The new foundry's been most helpful, with magma you get a hotter forge with lower pressure far more quickly than you would with coal."

"Your skill has really improved," said Sethrist.  Kzel held his breath as he turned the spear over and over, tested the balance, and took a few practice swings toward an empty corner of the room.    His own face appeared across the tip, reflected in the polished gleam of the steel.  Staring back at him was a bruised, sunken face with a messy, untamed beard.

I don't see myself, he thought.

Kzel cleared his throat, and spoke formally.  "Sir, our lack of quality equipment troubles me.  Our stockpiled adamantine has grown nearly tenfold, and if we start using it now, we might be able to save lives."  There, he had done it, said what had to be said without saying the name.

Sethrist rubbed his chin.  He pointed at the old iron spear he had taken into the Danger Room, which lay across the table.  "That was Crumby's old spear," he said, saying the name.  A silence of awkwardness, then:  "All right.  As of today, you and the other Chiefs shall have access to truemetal.  I'll make a note in the log."

(Persuasion Check:  Succeeds <guaranteed>)

"Fantastic!"  Kzel clapped his hands as he stood up.  "I'll get started immediately.  You won't regret this."

Always a worry when people say that, Sethrist thought.  But the spear was a masterpiece; therein lay the promise of more, and more they would need.

(Rule Change:  Chiefs of Staff may make authorized use of adamantine.)

There, thought Duck, as he set the pot down.  His quarters now boasted enough food to last several lifetimes, and while the house still wasn't all that great, this was, at least, an improvement.

There was a knock at the door.  "Come in!" Duck called.  Rimtar, the work manager, came into the room.  "Hello, Duck," she said, sounding tired.  "Have a moment?"

"Rimtar!  Of course, please make yourself comfortable, but remember, that's Guildmaster Duck."  A chair was pulled out, which Rimtar accepted.  "What brings you by?"

"Acutally, it's about the new Guildhall," Rimtar smiled.  She'd grown accustomed to Duck long ago.

"Ah, yes.  Has construction begun?"  The Guildmaster rummaged through his pantry and retrieved a jug of wine.

"Yes, the foundation is mostly in place," the manager said (Duck grinned), "but I'm actually just coming from a meeting with Chief Broccoli.  I understand there's been a dispute?"

"There is no dispute," said Duck.  The grin flew from his face as if a mallet had smacked it.  "He accosted me with absurd demands, you should have seen it.  I've declined to indulge him, and that's the end of it."  He sat down across from his guest, bearing a flagon of wine.

"I'm afraid not," Rimtar said.  "The miners have already dug out the floor space for the sub-basement."

"That's okay.  We can use the space to store pipes and corkscrews."

"As for his demands, I've seen his proposals, and they're none too outlandish, aside from the office, which his position nonetheless entitles him.  I want you to try and have another talk with him and see if you can't work it out."

"Work it out?"

Rimtar folded her hands.  "You and Broccoli are both heads of staff, and as such you need to be able to work together, getting along or not.  You and I may be friends, but that's precisely why I can't get any more involved in this on an official level.  You have to settle this yourselves.  I need to maintain a professional detachment, and so do you.  It's part of being in charge."

Duck frowned.  "I don't very well see the point, but I'll think about it," he said.  "As long as he remembers who the Head of the Carpenter's Guild is, I suspect I could be persuaded to tolerate his arrogance for short intervals."

Rimtar opened her mouth to say something, but thought better of it, and instead, simply asked for a glass of the wine. 

Impersonat was washing down a buffalo biscuit in her bedroom when she heard the Crier coursing through the hallways, screaming "Sound the alarm!  The goblins are upon us!"

"You are the alarm!"  someone yelled back.

"Thist," Impersonat swore.  She gathered her battle gear fast as she could, swearing again when she tripped over her dog.  Then she was out the door, up the stair, and into the wild outdoors.  SalmonGod was waiting by the west inner gate with two of the other archers, and she ran up to them, her mail leggings clinking like pocketed coins with every step, and saluted the Captain.  "Got here... fast as I could," she said, exhausted of breath.

"Good dwarf," SalmonGod said.  He explained the situation:  "We spotted a human caravan being chased by greenskins.  They're headed here for safety, and we've got to give it to them.  We have one line of traps already breached, and the Smasher isn't completed yet, so it's all resting on us."

After receiving her station assignments, Impersonat was handed a stack of bone-tipped bolts.  "Make them count," SalmonGod said, looking her in the eye.  Impersonat gulped and nodded.  She had only last week worked up the nerve to shoot at the local wildlife, and this was far different a danger today.

Into the watchtower she went, and there she sat, her crossbow propped against the turrets, waiting for the enemy.  She didn't seem to be thinking anymore; her being had fallen into a practiced routine over which she had little control, the repetition and the fervor of all those drills having finally manifested as a possessing spirit, driven to keep her alive.

Soon, they came into view: Far north of the fortress, the humans hurried past the edge of the wood.  With the new outer wall, they would have to travel all the way around to the southern entrance, something they probably weren't expecting.

Something else caught her eye.  Another group of goblins had crept from the trees to the west across the river.  One of them carried a lifeless, bearded head in its mouth.  They encircled something on the ground, a bleeding mass that might have once been a dwarf's body.

Impersonat felt pale.  "Captain!" she shouted down to the courtyard.  "There's more of them!"

"Stick together!" Derm yelled.  "Goblins fight in loose formation!  You get surrounded, fight back-to-back in groups of three!"  He and his troops marched through the courtyard.  They were much better armed than a month ago, but thanks to Sethrist's self-indulgent use of the training facilities, most of these dwarves hadn't yet bested the Danger Room.  This battle would be a test of their will to live.

"Let's hope this armor's as good as it looks," Catten said.

"The Lanterns of Hail are upon you!" SalmonGod screamed.  From the fore of the squad, he leapt into the southwest watchtower with dumbfounding agility for such a muscular frame.

"Are they alive, Captain?" Derm called up to him.

SalmonGod stared.  "They're dead, sir.  Both of them."

On Derm's order, the Walled Creeds headed out, the steel of them glistening by the light of the sun.  They soon encountered the goblins, who came running at them from all sides of the wood.

Chaos unfolded, and soon the militia was split into two main groups.  Close to the riverbank, Derm and four others quickly dispatched two attackers, and surrounded a third, a dark-skinned brute that lashed at them with a tarnished silver chain whip.  While Derm advanced, Catten came up from behind grabbed onto the goblin.  Thrown to the floor, the swordsdwarf managed to chop away the foot of the invader, who, before falling over, was cleaved in half by one powerful swing of Fikod's axe.  Their shiny new armor was tremendously stained.

Their foes dispatched, they charged south to where Tholtig and two recruits held their own in pitched battle against a large group.  Before Derm and the rest could arrive, Tholtig had slain one of them and driven the rest off.  The surviving terrified goblins fled into the woods and disappeared beyond the maze of trees.

The day was won, and with only a few minor injuries, not a single soldier had died.  Derm felt proud of his dwarves, not some secret thing he had held in embarrassment for a time, but now worn as a badge across his smiling face.  Still, he realized, it would not bring back those civilians who'd been caught outside at the wrong time.  No, only leaving their corpses to rot forgotten in the woods would do that.

He signaled the "all-clear" to Captain SalmonGod, who hopped down from his post.  As the soldiers passed through the front gates, a number of farmers rushed outside to tend to the dead and gather their belongings.  Another year, another goblin attack -- and another two fresh graves -- though for what it counted, this time they'd taught the goblins a lesson, and next year, they would surely come with greater numbers.

Deeper than did ever step a living mortal of their world gathered worm-shaped fiends around a bald hill, covered in their slime, a thing beyond a single word for foulness.

The worms were purring, and the purring became a rumble, the rumble became a roar.  A great and feathery form was rising from the abyss, worm-shaped and winged and towering over those calling it, surrounded by a chitinous shell that cast an oblong shadow over the lesser worms through the crimson light of the pit.  A blade jutted from the tail, from which dripped a loathsome malevolence.  The roar died down, the rumbling stopped.  The beast spread its wings and screamed.

-----

Spoiler: Sammy: (click to show/hide)

Coming here might have been a mistake.  First they drafted you, a talented Wax Worker, when they haven't a single beehive set up yet, then they threw you into combat a couple of months into your training!  And to top it all off, you got smashed up pretty well in said combat.  At least the food around here is good. 

You're determined not to let this happen again.  You've made up your mind:  You're going to enter the Danger Room.  You're still young enough for some spring in your step.  There's just one thing, and that's that you'll need permission to use the Room.  You could join the military, but that would mean following orders and getting involved in every little skirmish that pops up nearby.  Alternatively, you could ask one of the nobles for special permission.  You could always go in and use it without permission, but that's asking for trouble.  There are surely other options, it's just a matter of finding them out.

-----

A -Notice- has been posted in the Dining Hall for all to see.  Copies were sent to the Mountainhomes for proliferation.

"Now Seeking Volunteers for the Following Positions:  Captain of the Guard, Dungeon Master, Scribe, Inventor, Priest/Priestess, Philosopher, Alchemist, Occultist, Nurse, Undertaker, Counselor."

(OOC:  My thanks to you all for participating so far.  This is off to a great start!

About the safe-to-walk magma, it's actually a "Magma Flow" tile, which I thought meant a tile that continually spawns magma.  In this case, the magma is, at the very least, not spawning in the right direction.  I like to think it's a substance that resembles magma enough to be called that by dwarves.  There's a nice fiery effect that's quite nice to look at.

I uploaded an early save file of the site here, starting from right when the hole was uncovered.  In that file the demons haven't appeared yet, and they don't seem to do so until you go too near the hole, as the Prologue illustrates.  I will upload an updated save of the fort, but it would spoil a great deal of the story if I did so now.

In light of recent events, out of respect for the people of Japan, the thread's title is altered for now.  This will last for two weeks.  I apologize for any resulting confusion.

More to come tomorrow.)

edits to prose
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:34:16 am by SethCreiyd »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14