Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Naming conventions  (Read 12799 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Naming conventions
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2011, 07:13:46 pm »

I can't find the post that asked about it now, but in DT, if you select the dwarf it opens a side panel/window that has the name in a large font, with the current best profession title listed directly under it in smaller, grey lettering.  The grey color choice makes it less obvious if you aren't looking for it.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2011, 07:28:12 pm »

My last game I decided to get silly with naming. It actually worked really well for me to both remember which dwarf was which and to make looking a dwarf up on Therapist easier, too.

My starting 7:

Loppy (Woodchopper/Carpenter)
Healy (Doctor)
Bossy (Admin, leader skills)
Chippy (Miner/Mason)
Diggy (Miner)
Boozy (Gatherer/Brewer)
Feedy (Gatherer/Cook)

As the ranks grew, I had to start thinking of new descriptive names that fit the pattern.

Peasants: Hauly, Monotony, Serfy, Draggy, Povvy
Animal Caretakers: Puppy and Trebuchety (also a siege operator)
Armorer: Shieldy
Blacksmith: Smithy
Butcher: Fillety, Carvey
Carpenter: Adzey, Peggy (after the pegs used in joinery)
Clothier: Sewy, Stitchy
Dyer/Tanner: Tanny
Farmer: Smokey (also woodburner), Farmy, Arty (also stonecrafter)
Fisherman/Worker: Lurey, Eely, Fishy
Furnace Operator: Smelty
Glassmaker: Glassy
Jewelers: Shiny, Blingy
Lye Maker: Hunty (he came with his own bow)
Mason: Furny, Marbley
Mechanic: Mechy
Metalsmith: Tinny
Miller: Milly
Miner: Slabby (also mason), Picky
Pump Operator: Pumpy, Slushy
Suturer: Bandaidy
Tanners: Tanny
Engraver: Smoothy
Trapper: Cagey
Bonecarver: Boney
Siege Engineer: Ballisty
Woodcutter: Choppy
Woodworker: Elfy

It's actually a challenge to think up fitting names sometimes, that fit into that rather specific pattern. You'll notice that I've bent the rules a few times (Trebuchety and Monotony etc) because I couldn't think of anything else to fit. For a while I also had Needs-a-Picky to remind me to buy one at the next Caravan.

Heh I do something like this too. Except, I take a regular easy to remember name that ends with "y". Then add a middle name that reminds me what their profession is.

So far the names I always seem to use:

Johnny Digs/Miner
Tammy Pick/Miner
Woody Lumber/Carpenter
Rocky Stone/Mason
Harry Roast/FarmerCook
Barney Booze/FarmerBrewer
Molly Anvil/Armorsmith
Henry Coal/Furnace Operator
Sandy Pebbles/Mason
Penny Chipper/Engraver
Tommy Diamond/Gem Cutter
Ruby Emerald/Gem Setter
Bobby Fisher/Fisherdwarf
Monty Copper/Broker
Mary Hauls/Peasant
Rusty Gears/Mechanic

For soldiers I do the same thing except make their last names the same as the squad they're in.
Squad: Handles of Metal
Soldiers:
Kenny Metal
Roxy Metal
Pauly Metal

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2015, 01:54:35 am »

Resurrecting this thread, because it's been four years and the faces on the upper forums are all new. Also because I changed my pattern.

As of late I've been naming all my dwarves with regular,  average Joe type names, but drawn from multiple nationalities to make it easier to remember each one. I've also been creating custom profession types, and giving my greatest skilled in each kind a "head" or "chief" title.

also, I try to give out decidedly boy/girl names to keep the sexes straight,  since my mental image of the fort is IRREPARABLY DESTROYED if I find I've been visualizing a girl as a dude or vice versa. The exceptions are children, who are named after stones, gems, or geological constructs.

End result for this fort is that my mayor is named Circe, my "plantation owner" is Francis, and the leader of the militia (also known as two hunters with one breastplate between them) is a certain Eriko, who may or may not be a rationalist magical girl.

So any new faces, do you have a way of naming dwarves that you stick to? And older folk, have you changed your way at all as time passed?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2015, 02:35:50 am »

Well I'm too lazy to name them.
I usually get a manager at the beginning and type jobs for them to do.

Not enough masons? OK.
Find an idle dorf whose name I don't care.
Enable his masonry job.
Problem solved.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

SirFinbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2015, 06:31:05 am »

It's funny how cyclical the DF forums are. I don't read enough of other forums to know if it's the same.

As for naming, I find it fun! Usually it's just for certain dwarves, military or legendaries, but some of the posts here have inspired me to name them all! Gets you more immersed, perhaps.

As an example: I had a female dwarf with a clean shaved head, flat nose and forehead, grey skin. I named her boulder. Not the greatest name, but it painted the picture for me. I don't always name them nouns, it can be anything.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2015, 09:05:38 am »

I name all my dwarves after Transformers. All of them. I always have a Megatron miner. Depending on personality, my expedition leader is usually Optimus or Jazz. My engineer is always Wheeljack, my fisher is always Seaspray, etc etc etc. I keep track of what they do based on the character their named after. I even have a single bee keeper named Bumblebee, because how can I let him not tend the very creature he's named after? Military dwarves are usually Wreckers and Combiner teams.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2015, 10:06:03 am »

I haven't named any dwarves yet. I remember all first names of dwarves, and happen to remember the name of the last diplomat...
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

SirFinbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2015, 01:09:59 pm »

I haven't named any dwarves yet. I remember all first names of dwarves, and happen to remember the name of the last diplomat...

Haha! That's impressive!

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2015, 03:56:55 pm »

I give dwarves custom profession titles if they are the longest working or by far most skilled in their profession or profession group: Master of the Fields (farmer), Master of the Kitchens (cook), Master of the Stone, Master of the Mines, Mater of the Forge etc. Things like chief medical dwarf and other noble titles I generally leave.

Nicknames I have set to replace first names, so I can put them as titles. For example, all full time medical staff are nicknamed "Doctor" and all full time militia captains are nicknamed "Captain." The sheriff is Sheriff and the former baroness was "Lady" Kadolvucar. It lets me single out important dwarves while still keeping their real names intact.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

RandomizedThinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my tumblr
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2015, 04:42:23 pm »

I usually just rename only the founding seven, and also give a custom profession name. The names are always either from people I know or famous people, with the profession name being relevant. My current fort has a Toady, and a certain someone whose job is "Randomized Thinker"

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2015, 05:56:11 pm »

I usually keep Dwarven names because I think they're cool. If a soldier does something cool, I'll give them a title, like "Troll Bane, Goblin Slayer, The Craven (soldier who bit a Goblin to death because he wouldn't pull out his imbedded spear), The Grotesque (cripple who survived necrosis), or Elf Hunter".

For fortresses, go random until I get badass: Arrow Thunder, Gate Fist, Blood Helm! or really pitiful: Door Thunder, Weakened Hammers, etc.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 10:48:36 pm by Quartz_Mace »
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Vyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2015, 07:18:46 pm »

As the above, dorf names are silly enough per se to change them. To me they are still people with personalities. Pretty dumb and straightforward people but nonetheless. For jobs I usually go with profession name, usually to signify the top worker in the field, trainees to remember them or full-time soldiers. A custom nickname is something that's awarded only for doing extremely badass or stupid things, which doesn't happen all that often. After all, the dorf goes down in history with it.

Fort, Group and Squad names I always randomize a lot, banking on the game itself to pick something hilarious and/or appropriate, and man does it manage it well. My last terrifying fort they called Tombworks. Sounds like a pretty swell place to migrate to.

Rarely I make an exception though. Once an entire squad of weapon lords got messed up by a necrosis dust Forgotten Boogaloo, and I went and renamed the survivors The Blind Guardians. They only used shields and were there as damn good mobile punching bags. Very rarely I do manage to beat the game to it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:54:29 pm by Vyro »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2015, 08:01:07 pm »

I really only name adventurers. My first real adventurer, Flame Candleroared, was a random name that just fit so well. Other names like Chaosblade, Suncrystal, etc. sounded just as cool.

Flame Suncrystal carried around a large sunstone, which I found later in an adventure.

Timbatim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2015, 08:45:15 pm »

I name them in zhe same pattern as I first played it (when I learned about Dwarf Therapist).

Male Haulers: aaa
Female Haulers: bbb
With Job: xxxMason 01, xxxMason 02, etc.
Nobles: yxxDoctor 01, yxxBottomhead 23, etc.
Soldiers: YYYSoldier 01 (Team Mc Beatotherdwarfs), YYYSoldier 11 (second Team), etc.
Kids, babys: zzz

This way I can easily manage the jobs for my dwarfs in Dwarf Therapist, Kids dont show up in between and new jobs can easily be assigned to females, as only males get soldiers in my fortresses.
They tend to pregnant from only drinking alcohol (:P), normally I have a ton of babys and kids. One time I was awaiting the next migrant wave, because I had not enough dwarfpower. After the next wave, there were 10 adult dwarfs and 20 kids/babys in my fortress, great.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2015, 11:53:22 pm »

My first seven dwarves were named after their mineral preferences: Phyllite, Cinnabar, Sphalerite, Olivine, Gypsum, Dolomite, and Selenite.  All of my fort's Original 7 are gone now, but it was nice being able to pick them out instantly by name. 

For the fortress as a whole, I name all firstborn male children after their fathers and all firstborn females after their mothers.  They all also get unified surnames based on the eldest visible male descendant in the bio to replace the randomly generated ones.  Changing [NICKNAME_DWARF:REPLACE_FIRST] to [NICKNAME_DWARF:REPLACE_ALL] in d_init, then "nicknaming" them with their full names does the trick.  Therapist caps characters at 16, but you can get over 30 characters if you change manually in-game.

Tracking families has been fun and has kept things interesting with each new generation.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:12:22 am by VerdantSF »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6