Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Naming conventions  (Read 12814 times)

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Naming conventions
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 08:42:08 am »

I don't name my dwarves often, but when I do I usually name random notable dwarves after friends or characters from media I like. Some examples...

I named my badass female commander 'Samus' (Metroid)
A Legendary Engraver was 'Nepeta' (MSPaintAdventures)
A marksdwarf/hunter was 'Sniper Wolf' (Metal Gear)

Sometimes I get petty and rename annoying dwarves 'Stupid' or 'Dumbfuck'. I want to be constantly reminded of their failure so I can punish them accordingly.
I name useless dwarves simply and quickly: "?"

Makes them quick to pick out from the unit list and is a beautifully laconic way to say all there is to say about the freeloader: "And what the fuck am I supposed to do with you?"

(hint: involves a lot of blood)

never mind that you (or maybe just I) can't get the therapist to list profession names.
You can sort dwarves by profession name and change the profession name in DT.
I know, but does it actually show the profession name instead of/plus the dwarves' names in the list? Either I'm being a retard or it doesn't.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 08:50:15 am »

All of my guys have hauling, except for military and a few select individuals who would otherwise refuse to do their job because there's a log somewhere.
Given a heck of a lot of my haulers' times are spent moving rubble to a quantum stockpile (at least, in the first few years of fort establishment and my forts die of FPS death not long after that), I can't afford my elite wasting time with hauling. "Dump Item" is a rather high priority job for good reason. On a similar note, I darn well better have food haulers around when my cook finishes a masterpiece meal, regardless of what other hauling there needs doing - hence the dedicated food haulers of professions that only take up some of their time.

Yeah my forts (and cause of FPS deaths) are geared towards industry.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 09:01:19 am »

All of my guys have hauling, except for military and a few select individuals who would otherwise refuse to do their job because there's a log somewhere.
Given a heck of a lot of my haulers' times are spent moving rubble to a quantum stockpile (at least, in the first few years of fort establishment and my forts die of FPS death not long after that), I can't afford my elite wasting time with hauling. "Dump Item" is a rather high priority job for good reason. On a similar note, I darn well better have food haulers around when my cook finishes a masterpiece meal, regardless of what other hauling there needs doing - hence the dedicated food haulers of professions that only take up some of their time.

Yeah my forts (and cause of FPS deaths) are geared towards industry.
Mine often are as well, but I usually magma dump or atom smash all the stuff below a certain quality that rises through the game. Dwarven quality control.  :D
Memento Mori

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2011, 09:12:56 am »

Oh sure, I do quality control too. But I just outproduce the FPS-safety margins all the time as there are far too many artisans in every industry when my forts get established. Haven't had time to play a fort until establishment recently, but I have learnt to not pursue every single industry in the game simultaneously with one fort - as well as to limit the population to around 80-ish, as much as I want to have as much population as possible.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 09:35:47 am »

never mind that you (or maybe just I) can't get the therapist to list profession names.
I find that this causes some problems when say, another blacksmith arrives, and is grouped with your previous one.  Now suddenly you have to pay special attention to make sure you don't end up with a shitty blacksmith taking jobs from your legendary one.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2011, 09:41:49 am »

I find that this causes some problems when say, another blacksmith arrives, and is grouped with your previous one.  Now suddenly you have to pay special attention to make sure you don't end up with a shitty blacksmith taking jobs from your legendary one.
You can use the building profile to set a min/max required skill to use the workshop though. One good way to train masons is to set up low skill workshops and make them mass produce stone blocks, which you can use for building constuctions just as well as regular stone.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2011, 11:15:07 am »

You can use the building profile to set a min/max required skill to use the workshop though. One good way to train masons is to set up low skill workshops and make them mass produce stone blocks, which you can use for building constuctions just as well as regular stone.
You'll note that my example was using blacksmiths, not masons, because blacksmiths, unlike masons, are not quickly and cheaply trained in the way you describe.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2011, 11:21:27 am »

That was just a related comment - My point was that if you don't want the noob smith to ruin your metals, make the forges only usable by more skilled dwarves.

And you can train smiths that way. Make one forge usable only by low level smiths and make it produce stuff from some low value metal you have in excess.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:28:43 am by Cotes »

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2011, 12:00:20 pm »

I tend to be more story oriented in my forts so I usually leave the names alone and just play with the profession names.  So my dwarves wind up wandering around with such job tittles as High Priest, Warden, Guard, Mascot, Sous-Chef, Sacrifice, Criminal, Slave, Farmhand, Hermit, Bellhop, Victim, Serf, etc.

Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2011, 12:10:21 pm »

When i do name my dorfs, it's mainly names from my e-acquaintances. That way, i can poke fun at them when they fall in love and become pregnant. :P
I also occasionally give them a profession-related name, which has the word "dorf" incorporated. Like, Masondorf, Carpendorf and what not.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2011, 02:52:03 pm »

What I said earlier about never having nicknamed a dwarf-- I just realized that was not entirely true. Before the addition of ghosts, I would name my useless migrants "Atomsmash." Can you guess what I did with them next?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2011, 04:39:27 pm »

In one of my forts I gave all my dead dwarves custom professions: Hero of the Fortress, Scourge of the Goblins, Beastslayer, For Science...
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2011, 04:44:39 pm »

Eh. When forts get large, and they usually don't get to live large unless I'm doing a real megaproject, the classification is as follows.

M!(Ms7)(St5) - legendary miner, talented mason, skilled suturer. The rest is reserved for tags like ! (important, also the skill level for legendary), > (hauling for megaproject, to be killed/drafted later) \ (military), etc. etc.

Gotta keep it clean.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2011, 04:54:03 pm »

Before the addition of ghosts, I would name my useless migrants "Atomsmash."
Hey, at least I can have my memorial industry keep up with the useless bastards. Barely, but still.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2011, 06:41:20 pm »

I, personally, just give my first seven dwarves some witty names or special job titles so I can give them legendary rooms later on. That's it.
Hello Hunam
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6