Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Naming conventions  (Read 12811 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Naming conventions
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 11:00:41 pm »

Before I encountered Dwarf Therapist (and indeed, when a fresh new version comes out so Therapist isn't ready yet) I used a shorthand notation to tell me which dwarves are doing what:

'Mtl!Fsh)-FI' = highly skilled metalcrafter, does fish cleaning as a backup job but currently has that disabled, does food and item hauling
'Dig!)GemS-!' = highly skilled miner currently with that labour disabled to train up gem setting (and let some other dwarf train mining), has no hauling enabled
'Silk-R' = clothier who likes silk, has refuse hauling enabled
'SteelArm-!' = armourer who likes steel. Forbidden to do any hauling
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 11:14:27 pm »

All of my guys have hauling, except for military and a few select individuals who would otherwise refuse to do their job because there's a log somewhere.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 11:26:12 pm »

Until Dwarf Therapist gives me a way to set custom profession titles from within DT... I use the nickname feature.

My nicknames are always things like: Mason, Doc, Nurse, Engraver, Butcher, Cook, Woodsy, Broker, Farmer, Brewer, etc.  Anyone drafted for military service gets a nick of "1st", "2nd", "3rd" - depending on which squad they're being assigned to.

I find it's the easiest way to keep track of 60+ dwarves, remembering who I decided to specialize.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 11:33:38 pm »

You can do this.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 11:34:19 pm »

I usually name key dwarves after MSPA characters that they resemble, and everyone else gets job-related puns for names. Except the haulers, they're all named Scotty. I don't really know why.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 12:16:58 am »

I'm looking forward to getting a dwarf I can name Prometheus.

That dwarf will be awesome.

Also, If I ever get a King I'm going to name him Roland, his consort Kathrine, and any and all children Nicholi.

All of them.

Even the girls.

Especially the girls.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 02:36:46 am »

I tend to nickname my dwarves based around a notable thing they've done.  My standards are extremely low for my expedition leader (I wanna pick him out of a crowd).  Next are the military dwarves, oftentimes awarded after I notice they have a significant number of kills.

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 04:17:24 am »

I name dwarfs after memorable things that happen to them, generally which body part they have lost.

I also name all dwarfs which are born in my fortress, after whatever was going on/had my attention at the time of birth. Common names include Magma, Tantrum, Kobold, Vomit, etc.
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 04:51:08 am »

I change the names of all the male dwarves to their old name (Moldath Rulasen -> 'Moldath Rulasen')
Married females will have their last name changed to their husband (Reg Rolemid -> 'Reg Rulasen-Rolemid')
Children will have their last names changed to their fathers name (Tosid XXX -> Tosid Rulasen)

All names/birth dates/jobs (proffesion name, not what theyactually do) will also be listed in a family tree external program.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 05:20:45 am »

Do share this program?

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 06:17:39 am »

I append a #0 to the beginning of names of the dwarves I 'care' about, those with the highest skill in labors such as carpentry, brewing or armorsmithing, to let me easily tell them apart from the unskilled rabble that arrive in ceaseless waves.  Once that's done I just toss everyone else into a custom 'Peasant' labor, where you end up if you're, for example, a legendary cheeser.  Welcome to your new life of burning wood into ash and hauling refuse.

Bonus points if I manage the organization such that female dwarves constitute the 'skilled' population while the peasants are mostly men.  We don't want any babies getting in the way when the peasants have to go to war to defend the fortress, after all.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 06:47:01 am »

I usually start by neatly organizing with custom professions (not names, those become a pain in the ass when you try to figure out who to build a memorial for, etc.). A system which quickly devolves into "We have someone who can make wooden bolts, right?" as the time goes on. It's still useful for the first few years and for keeping labels on the useless dwarves and dwarves you have reserved for military (which are pretty much the same thing).

I might start using the " 'Name' 'Nickname' 'Surname' " format though, and label the dwarves with serial numbers. "Urist McWhothehell has created a masterpiece!" gets kind of old when you have 100 dwarves and actually want to keep track of those, never mind that you (or maybe just I) can't get the therapist to list profession names.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 07:32:32 am »

I once named a hunter "Sorry"

Guess why?  ;)

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 08:35:02 am »

I don't name my dwarves often, but when I do I usually name random notable dwarves after friends or characters from media I like. Some examples...

I named my badass female commander 'Samus' (Metroid)
A Legendary Engraver was 'Nepeta' (MSPaintAdventures)
A marksdwarf/hunter was 'Sniper Wolf' (Metal Gear)

Sometimes I get petty and rename annoying dwarves 'Stupid' or 'Dumbfuck'. I want to be constantly reminded of their failure so I can punish them accordingly.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 08:39:23 am »

never mind that you (or maybe just I) can't get the therapist to list profession names.
You can sort dwarves by profession name and change the profession name in DT.
Memento Mori
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6