Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: so how deep is "deep metal"  (Read 5897 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
so how deep is "deep metal"
« on: March 08, 2011, 04:09:30 pm »

I have dug several z layers into the earth trying to find metal becuase the site finder said the site had deep metal, I am well bellow the caverns and still have not encountered any metal,  could it be its just detecting the adamantium? sadly I obtained a legendary armor smith through a mood and no metal for him to turn into armor :( so sad,  and merchants do not bring enough
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

AdirianSoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: so how deep is "deep metal"
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 04:20:28 pm »

Deep metal does not necessarily mean metal; it means any unusual rock formations.  This includes gems, coal, and I believe certain types of "normal" rock.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 04:24:19 pm »

.........................so your telling me that trade is going to be my only source of metal really?
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 04:29:50 pm »

You may be able to use http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Utilities#dfprospector to check what metal ores your embark contains, before you commit to building something grand on it.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 04:31:14 pm »

Are you sure it actually includes gems.?.

Note that some unusable ores, such as cobaltite, count as metal. Also, are you on one-biome embark?
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 04:50:22 pm »

Are you sure it actually includes gems.?.

Note that some unusable ores, such as cobaltite, count as metal. Also, are you on one-biome embark?

two biome

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 04:51:32 pm »

You may be able to use http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Utilities#dfprospector to check what metal ores your embark contains, before you commit to building something grand on it.

do you have a download link?

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 04:52:48 pm »

I've not seen gems count as metal.  I've seen lignite and bituminous coal listed as metal.  I've heard that other non-metal stones, especially those with the symbol "£", can count as metal.

On my current map, my deep metal is tetrahedrite and it starts 35 Z-levels below my (flat, soil) surface level.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 04:55:28 pm »

I've not seen gems count as metal.  I've seen lignite and bituminous coal listed as metal.  I've heard that other non-metal stones, especially those with the symbol "£", can count as metal.

On my current map, my deep metal is tetrahedrite and it starts 35 Z-levels below my (flat, soil) surface level.

i am well bellow that,  maybe i will just download the new version and start over with better world saturation peramitars

also at this point one ambush would probably whack the fortress, its been a very tough meger existence my dwarfs have carved out
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:58:44 pm by dakenho »

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 05:00:11 pm »

I've seen 'deep' metal anywhere from 20 z-levels down to next to the magma sea. I've never seen gems count as metal but I have seen Cinnabar, Cobaltite and Hornblende.
Memento Mori

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 05:21:17 pm »

The site finder does NOT report gems as metal. To test this yourself, go embark on a spot with no metal listed at all and use prospector -- you'll find gems, but no ores or stones of any kind.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 06:01:43 pm »

do you have a download link?
I'm sorry, I didn't even bother to check if there was a direct link.  It's a part of dfhack, so you should be able to download the entire dfhack library from a link around http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58809 .

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 06:23:32 pm »

The site finder does NOT report gems as metal. To test this yourself, go embark on a spot with no metal listed at all and use prospector -- you'll find gems, but no ores or stones of any kind.

does it count adimantium as deep metal?

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 06:32:17 pm »

does it count adimantium as deep metal?
No. Adamantine is everywhere, so it would be really redundant and make the 'deep metal' tag completely useless.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 06:43:51 pm »

alright thanks every one its probably i am not digging in the right area.   with my fortress getting up in population I think my best bet is to go straight for adamantium, next round I will set the world for a ton of shallow metal, i miss .18 with a ton of ore all over the place
Pages: [1] 2