Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Obama creates an indefinite detention system for prisoners at Guantanamo Bay.  (Read 5875 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Where else is he going to put them?
There were plans at one point to put them in a maximum security prison in Indiana or Illinois IIRC. You know, those places we built to house terrorists, serial killers, serial rapists, and suchlike. It would have saved said prison from partial shutdown due to low prison population, created some new jobs in the area, earned the county some money on the side, had high support from the surrounding area, and so naturally was torpedoed by Republican fearmongering about turrurists runnin around people's backyards, climbing in their windows, and generally snatching their people up.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Where else is he going to put them?
There were plans at one point to put them in a maximum security prison in Indiana or Illinois IIRC. You know, those places we built to house terrorists, serial killers, serial rapists, and suchlike. It would have saved said prison from partial shutdown due to low prison population, created some new jobs in the area, earned the county some money on the side, had high support from the surrounding area, and so naturally was torpedoed by Republican fearmongering about turrurists runnin around people's backyards, climbing in their windows, and generally snatching their people up.
Republicans won't have us be able to move them because we're not allowed to spend a cent on their transfer, IIRC.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

I never even had a problem with Gitmo.  But Obama just looks indecisive and weak.

I read your posts in exactly the same voice as I read Wally's speech bubbles.
That is all.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Obama's a two-faced flip-flopper that found out the hard way that Bush was right all along.  End of story.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile

I never even had a problem with Gitmo.  But Obama just looks indecisive and weak.

I read your posts in exactly the same voice as I read Wally's speech bubbles.
That is all.

"If I keep walkin' in the hall everyone will think I'm really busy."

"Life's been much better since the testosterone started spewing from my head."
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Obama's a two-faced flip-flopper that found out the hard way that Bush was right all along.  End of story.

This thread needed an infusion of dumb humor. Thanks for obliging.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

Wait, what's wrong with making sure people who's only goal in life is to kill as many people as possible in the most gruesome way they can think off don't get the chance to rejoin their comrades and do exactly that?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If only we could breed a politician who had the Democratic penchant for trying to do the right thing, with the Republican penchant for actually doing things and getting people to go along with it...

Those Wisconsin democrats at least are doing everything they can to fight instead of quietly giving in, so there ARE obviously democrats with cajones.

It's just that only 2 or 3 of them seem to operate on a nation level.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If only we could breed a politician who had the Democratic penchant for trying to do the right thing, with the Republican penchant for actually doing things and getting people to go along with it...

Those Wisconsin democrats at least are doing everything they can to fight instead of quietly giving in, so there ARE obviously democrats with cajones.

That's the first time I've ever heard the word "fight" used to define someone who runs out of town.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

That's the first time I've ever heard the word "fight" used to define someone who runs out of town.

But threatening to talk for weeks about something else, and refusing to allow a vote, that counts? Cause the Republicans did lots of that kind of "fighting" from 2008-2010. C'mon, don't be deliberately obtuse. What they're doing isn't that different from a filibuster. It's a procedural tactic to be used when you don't have the votes to stop something.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Wait, what's wrong with making sure people who's only goal in life is to kill as many people as possible in the most gruesome way they can think off don't get the chance to rejoin their comrades and do exactly that?

Prove that that is the case with each and every suspect held at Gitmo. These suspects in some cases had no probable cause; All that happened is some villagers turned them in for the no-questions-asked $1000 reward.

On a different level; consider what would happen if someone accused you of being a terrorist. You would be captured, throw in jail, and then kept there for a decade. No trial, no attempt to prove your guilt.

As long as it is possible to hold ANYONE in specific, for ANY reason, without due process, it can happen to ANYONE in general.

The men in Gitmo are most likely bad men; more than likely there is plenty of evidence of this fact. There is no risk of them ever failing to be convicted. All I want is for them to be convicted so they can be correctly treated as convicts.

Then there's the torture. The US used to be able to say "We do not torture." We might have roughed up some nazis, or maybe been a little harsh with a few suspects, but the policy was, No Torture. This was a good policy; generally, torture does not work; the only thing it does is get the subject to say what the torturer wants them to say. If that is "I did it", then that is what the subject will say. Every subject will eventually confess. Torturers continue until they get a confession.

Torture is only good as entertainment for sadists, not getting information.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Prove that that is the case with each and every suspect held at Gitmo. These suspects in some cases had no probable cause; All that happened is some villagers turned them in for the no-questions-asked $1000 reward.
A single terrorist is capable of killing somewhere between 10 and 1.000 people if left to his devices. The people in Guatanamo aren't even dead, so even if only 1 in 10 people in Guatanamo would be a terrorist, then that is still a positive balance in the amount of lives saved.
It's also often quite hard to prove that a terrorist is a terrorist, because that kind of information relies on things like phone taps and informants, which is information that is inadmissible in court. Furthermore you do realize that trying to prove someone was planning to do something is inherently impossible? We haven't got mind-reading devices and ownership of guns isn't illegal in many countries. For all you know, those guys could just have been planning on setting up a shooting gallery. And you can't use the phone taps in court...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:46:55 pm by Virex »

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A single terrorist is capable of killing somewhere between 10 and 1.000 people if left to his devices. The people in Guatanamo aren't even dead, so even if only 1 in 10 people in Guatanamo would be a terrorist, then that is still a positive balance in the amount of lives saved.

Let's kick things up a notch, then:  Kill them all.  Let God sort them out.  ::)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would support that if not for the fact that permanent detainment means you can still extract information from them. Dead people don't talk. Plus, there seem to be a lot of people who think that someone who's a terrorist should be treated with pluche gloves so to say. Giving them what they deserve doesn't sit too well with them and international trade is still quite important.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:49:25 pm by Virex »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4