Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: auto update/ a way to update the game? Qs and an idea (bad spelling sy)  (Read 1141 times)

jamesmax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so im playing the game haveing a good old time wen a new update comes out with suff i want in it

is there a way to update the game were the fort im useing now will sill work and have all the new thing form now to wen the games done (yes yes i know FUN will happen befor then) but im asking is ther a way were if for example the update were wood cages gets fixed and wont hold a dragon anymore
will useing my save game, will dragons now walk over (or come out of) my cages?

what im asking is there a way to get ALL updates to the game (excluding things like new ore and suff thats on map) with out starting a new fort?

and for the hole new ores and suff why not make a game feature were on reclaim the new ore and suff are added to parts of the map you did not mine? or sumthing like makeing burrows were all parts not in this update burrow gets reloaded wif the new suff or the map gets biger as suffs added?

im asking this cuz i play minecraft and im used to just palying cuz i know wen new suff comes out i can get it one way or another and not have to restart my map and it would be cool if it ways the same way with DF

one more thing what was DF ep 1 like? I have looked it up and cant fined anything on it

ps sy for the spelling and I hope you know what im saying so you can gev me your input

o and maybe sumthing that tells you in game that your dragons will get out of wood cages so kill them now befor downloading the new update (i put all my cages in a well defended room with a water pump just waiting to fill it, so im good on that)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 01:27:10 pm by jamesmax »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

So I'm playing the game haveing a good old(?) time when a new update comes out (of the closet?) with stuff I want in my DF game/save.

Is there a way to update the game where the fort i'm useing now, will still work and have all the new things/ from now to when the games done (yes yes I know FUN will happen before then) but m asking: is there a way  to have all the new things from the update (like dragons breaking wooden cages they're in) while still playing my old fort?

What im asking is: is there a way to get ALL the updates in the new version (excluding things like new minerals/ores and other things that are created during world gen) without starting a new fort?

-suggestion not a question and I'm getting tired of being annoying fixing you're post-

I'm asking this because I play Minecraft and I'm used to just playing because I know when new stuff comes out I can get it one way or another and not have to restart my map and it would be cool if it ways the same way with DF

one more thing what was DF ep 1 like? I have looked it up and can't fined anything on it (grammar?)

ps: sorry for the spelling but I hope you know what I mean so you can give me your input.

Oh,  and maybe something that tells you ingame that your dragons will get out of wooden cages so kill them now befor downloading the new update (I put all my cages in a well defended room with a water pump just waiting to fill it, so I'm good on that)

I'm sure i have forget some things or even did some things wrong myself but I just felt like being annoying fixing your post.

A few tips from someone who's English is not his first language either:
1) Use Firefix/Chrome to check your spelling, it's really useful.
2) Don't use things like ''cuz'' ''giv'' on a forum. Use it when chatting/text messaging.
3) Start a sentence with a capital (Hello, blabla.) instead of (hello, blabla).
4) Use dots and comma's and other stuff like that (''.'' '','' ''!'' ''?'').

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm

...no? I don't even know if this idea would be convenient to anybody. Just play your current fort until it dies (or kill it off, sadistic yet amusing) and then start the new version. I think Toady did it this way so that we would have to generate worlds with every version, so that we don't have to start looking for reasons to gen a new world.

If you have a world you're absolutely in love with I'm sure you can transfer over the seed, or if it's just the looks there's a few programs that you can use to transfer over the world layout.

Generating worlds is fun.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile

You can manually update your saved game to the new version if the changes don't require a world regen. A good example for this, let's say you're playing 31.20 and you want to update to 31.21:

- Extract the latest version, create the save folder inside df_31_21\data
- Copy your [Name of your Dwarf Fortress 31.20 folder]\data\save\region1 folder and paste it into df_31_21\data\save
- Copy the raw folder from df_31_21 and paste it into df_31_21\data\save\region1, overwriting the existing one

Sorry if you already knew about this.

Minecraft too requires world regen every now and then-- i can recall off the top of my head that lapis lazuli appears only in worlds generated from the 1.2 version onward.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:10:20 pm by Kard »

jamesmax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can manually update your saved game to the new version if the changes don't require a world regen. A good example for this, let's say you're playing 31.20 and you want to update to 31.21:

- Extract the latest version, create the save folder inside df_31_21\data
- Copy your [Name of your Dwarf Fortress 31.20 folder]\data\save\region1 folder and paste it into df_31_21\data\save
- Copy the raw folder from df_31_21 and paste it into df_31_21\data\save\region1, overwriting the existing one

Sorry if you already knew about this.

Minecraft too requires world regen every now and then-- i can recall off the top of my head that lapis lazuli appears only in worlds generated from the 1.2 version onward.

I i just got to the nether and make a prtol far away and buld a new house ther and that worked even tho i made the world in alpha

and i just got the idea that if i want to have my old fort so much i could use a level editor to copy my fort in a new world (as it would be the same as my idea) and just start off like a reclaim.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile

Posting to suggest the OP spend more time on homework and learning the english language than playing DF...

I seriously had to re-read portions of the OP 3 or 4 times to understand wtf he is trying to say.

I understand english is not everyones native language but still, this is borderline gibberish.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.