Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Console baseball  (Read 1011 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Console baseball
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:48:08 pm »

I'm an avid baseball fan and look forward to the annual release of console baseball games. This year I decided to pick up all of them and give each one a go. So far I have MLB the Show 11(personal favorite) and MLB 2k11(for the million dollar prize). I also love MLB Power Pros( a baseball rpg) but don't think there will be another in the US, sadly.

The Show just keeps getting better; amazing sound, photo realistic graphics on good tv's, great responsive controls, and a great experience with creating your own player and developing him. It just feels like baseball.

2k11 is just the opposite and it is actually unpleasant to play. The whole thing smacks of 2008, as if they haven't worked on a single line of code or graphic design since then. The controls are delayed and awkward. The graphics are chunky and rough. The animations seem to be missing about every other frame. Lot's of stutters in the middle of critical moments. Awful audio and voice overs. I don't even want to keep listing the bad features as it is just upsetting. I now know why they offer a prize of $1 million dollars for a perfect game, anyone who can play it long enough to earn that deserves whatever they want. In fact, I feel like anyone who plays a season should get $1 million.

Only a simple mind can be certain.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Console baseball
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:00:23 pm »

Darn, I was hoping this was going to be about this.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 02:46:09 pm »

I thought you were talking about super baseball 2020 for the snes.

Boy how I loved that game. Go robots go!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 03:37:55 pm »

I thought you were talking about super baseball 2020 for the snes.

Boy how I loved that game. Go robots go!
Hell, I first thought of RBI Baseball on the NES. Back before I knew what "winning the game" was, I learned to nail the batter in the crotch every time. Ah, childhood.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 03:54:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure there's better things they could've spent that money on than a video no one watched.
Shoes...

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 06:39:43 pm »

I'm pretty sure there's better things they could've spent that money on than a video no one watched.

Yeah but they referenced Office Space! That alone makes them pretty awesome. But they said it was from The Office in their description...

Also Super Mario Baseball will always be my favorite baseball game. Not gonna lie...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 07:07:29 pm »

My favorite will always be Baseball Simulator 1.000 for the NES.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!