Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Do you "roleplay"?  (Read 4874 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do you "roleplay"?
« on: March 08, 2011, 05:32:27 am »

When you make your forts, do you design them solely for gameplay, or do you like to build it how you think dwarves would? For example, I like to build an entirely seperate stockpile room with ridiculous amounts of security for keeping all my gold, adamantine, jewels and other treasures safe. Once it's full of wonders I tend to shut it up with floodgates and wall over the entrance, to ensure the safety of my horde. Does anyone else do anything like this or am I just weird?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you "roleplay"?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 05:37:44 am »

I think I do it mostly in aesthetics ways. Like paved roads, entrance filled with statues and memory rooms all engraved, only rock or metal walls.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:49:05 am »

My Fort is a Fort. Defensibility and functionality come first... Only exceptions made are the catacombs and tombs of great warriors.

I think thats the way the Dwarves would built a fort. Too many goblins and elves out there.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 05:53:59 am »

I like building things how I think my dwarves would like them... You're not alone! :P
I especially like building intricate housing, like multi-story apartment blocks and such... And kitchens in a seperate room, tanneries and butcher's shops seperate and so on. It's good fun! :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 08:10:42 am »

Coincidently, I'm playing my current fort in exactly the way my dwarves would. I dug out the trappings for future fortress defense, and had my dwarves settle in the half-finished halls refugee-style. They basically just threw some beds and chairs in the soon-to-be barracks, because, why the hell not?

I like to think the main architect came here with an already laid-out plan for the fortress entrance. After it was dug out, the other dwarves asked him, "So, where do we live?" to which he replied, "I'unno."

I think it will be worth it in the future, when I will relive fond memories of my fort entrance being my first bastion as I murder goblins in droves. Old-timers will point towards the blood-soaked halls and tell stories of when they used to farm out of the very dirt that is now caked with blood and vomit.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 08:17:22 am »

I think it will be worth it in the future, when I will relive fond memories of my fort entrance being my first bastion as I murder goblins in droves. Old-timers will point towards the blood-soaked halls and tell stories of when they used to farm out of the very dirt that is now caked with blood and vomit.

This is one of the reasons why I love Dwarf Fortress so much, the stories that come from it. I'm also pretty sad and imagine what the dwarfs will say to each other, and wonder what they're saying to each other while chewing on a cut of meat in the great hall. I found the utility on the wiki for planning your fort before embarking, but unfortunately I couldn't get it to work :( If I could, I could have a much better time with it.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 08:37:32 am »

I found the utility on the wiki for planning your fort before embarking
Now I'm curious, what's it called?

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 08:49:00 am »

DF Designer, but it seems to only be downloadable as uncompiled source code and I have no idea what to do with it :P

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 08:57:30 am »

DF Designer, but it seems to only be downloadable as uncompiled source code and I have no idea what to do with it :P

The Windows port is shipped as compiled binary, very easy to use. I haven't tried the Mac version but I assume it is compiled as well.

If you're on Linux, surely you can compile some C code. :P

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:01:28 am »

While I'm learning the game I'm trying to keep it functional, but the more I get to grips with the game the more I relax. I tend to treat most games as roleplaying games in some way. That's why I was never any good at the Civ games except for the first one.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 11:17:29 am »

Only if she's into it.  Wait, what?

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 11:51:10 am »

This has great potential for awesome!

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 12:12:36 pm »

The Windows port is shipped as compiled binary, very easy to use. I haven't tried the Mac version but I assume it is compiled as well.

If you're on Linux, surely you can compile some C code. :P

My bad, totally missed the Windows port and only clicked the top link like the assuming retard that I am :P

What's everyones habits with burial and tombs? I usually have a long, 5 wide corridor with alternate alcoves on either side, like this;

Code: [Select]
     ____
   _|    |_
  |_      _|
   _|    |_
  |_      _|
    |    |

I put regular stone coffins in each of the alcoves, and that's where most normal dwarves go. I dig out 3x3 tombs for nobles and soldiers who just did their job, 5x5 for leaders and nobles who did something cool or useful (I once had an alligator killing some livestock with a few dwarves pussyfooting around it not knowing what to do, and my book keeper just tutted at them, put down his books and went and punched the alligator to death with no injury to himself. That kind of cool or useful.) and then grander tombs and mausoleums for outstanding soldiers and dwarves who did something incredible like singlehandedly saving the fort somehow. These grand tombs vary in size depending on the deed that earned them it. Once the corridor is full, I wall off the door so that it can never be plunded, and start a new one nearby.

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 12:23:16 pm »

A bit.  I usually focus on making my forts asthetically pleasing and regenerating the world so that I can obtain the perfect place to embark.  As of late, I have been trying to create fairly large rooms for each of my dwarfs, and have been stocking them with beds, coffers, cabinets, chairs, tables, weapon racks, armor stands, and coffins.  As the leader of the expedition told me, it is good to sleep with your ancestors...Oh.   :o

More seriously, I am hoping that making each living quarters double as an resting place would save me some time from actually digging out full-sized tombs when I have better things to do.  The only question is how many coffins I ought to put in each room.  Two?  Maybe four.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 12:40:46 pm »

But if you wall it off, how can your later Adventurers read the masterfuly engraved walls chronicling Urist McCarpkiller's every deed?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.
Pages: [1] 2 3