Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dragon hatchery concept/idea/crack pot scheme  (Read 5742 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Dragon hatchery concept/idea/crack pot scheme
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 11:14:35 am »

Capturing them will be very difficult.  Creatures which are native residents of a site that you embark on are somehow immune to cage traps, so you won't be able to cage the dragons easily.  You might be able to manage it by first capturing a GCS and then webbing over some cage traps.

You'll need to mod the dragons to have the [PET] tag, since creatures without it don't breed at the moment.  Also, you'll need to tame the female dragons to get them to claim nest boxes.  You'll also need to mod them to have a [CHILD: tag, since that's also needed and they don't have it by default.

Then there's the EGG_SIZE issue.  Allegedly, EGG_SIZE controls how long the egg takes to hatch.  I don't know if anyone has worked out the exact relationship between EGG_SIZE and hatching time yet, but dragons have [EGG_SIZE:6100], compared to [EGG_SIZE:87] for a turkey, so they might take a long time to hatch.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 11:21:49 am »

I'm in debate over the CHILD tag with eggs.  Seems dragons breed in worldgen just fine, after all.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 11:28:43 am »

I'm going to have to do some more !!science!! on exotic animal breeding, aren't I?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Uselessness

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 11:33:44 am »

bay12 main page updates mention somethin about taming ANY pet tags (exotic or not) but idk if thats implemented yet but soon TM

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 11:34:43 am »

Should be sooner than SoonTM.  Regardless, [PET_EXOTIC] currently do not breed even when tame, so I guess there will be questions about breeding giant lions as well.

Uselessness

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2012, 01:38:40 pm »

aside from changing the [PET_EXOTIC] tag what else would it take to make the exotics breed, i havent taken a look at the raws so i dont know. im wondering how hard itd be to bastardize a cross between a regular [PET] and [PET_EXOTIC] in the raws, or simply take somethin from the raws, change it to DRAGON based, and suddenly we have 'dragons'.

theres a number of ways we COULD potentially skin this cat(or dragon) but how much !SCIENCE! has been done from the various avenues, and how true to REAL dragons do you want these breeders to be?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2012, 01:41:44 pm »

Oh there has been much science, you just haven't been looking in the right places!  If you take a dragon and snip out [MEGABEAST] and snip in [COMMON_DOMESTIC] you can embark with them!

The questions that haven't been answered, at 1: can exotics lay fertile eggs?  And 2: will the coming changes to exotic taming allow for exotic breeding?

Uselessness

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2012, 02:05:50 pm »

you sir/ma'am are correct in assuming i havent looked in the right places(or at all for that matter), i only registered lastnight, started playin about 4 days ago, but this dwarven !SCIENCE! has me greatly intrigued. just trying to field the 'dumb ideas' in hopes that something so very simple could have been overlooked(attempting to hero)

just brainstorming a few things quick here, worth a shot, sorry if there has already been !SCIENCE! covering my thoughts
as for the comment that resident tags make things cage trap immune, what happens if i were to embark just off their lair? being directly adjacent to them would that increase the chances for them to come over and say 'oh hai der' and would it ALSO remove their resident tags making them NOT trap immune? how far does the resident tags encompass or simply any embark that overlaps their 'home'. since you cant tame exotics yet through regular means, can you tame them through raws? though immediately that raises the issue with tames probably dont assault. what if you embark on tames? or would that just remove them from embark site then upon setting out?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2012, 02:11:20 pm »

You can change [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET] and any dwarf with the labor will tame the animal once it's caged.  As for "embark close to the lair" that doesn't fly.  In spacial terms, all locations are either "next to" or "impossibly far" from your embark.  Settling next to elves will not encourage them faster or in stronger force.  Necromancer towers are the only thing that really care about proximity.

Uselessness

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2012, 04:00:18 pm »

then untill i start to pull some doctor wierd action on my raws im all outta thought processes at this time. but shall i find anything.... GENTLEMEN! BEHOLD!

Uselessness

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2012, 04:27:32 pm »

looking at the raws for dragon and guineafowl(first domestic egglayers i could find). i see no information about fertilizing eggs, perhaps what sphalerite mentioned covers this though... i know very little in the way of advanced modding, a thought, if your going to take the time and effort to mod dragons to be breeders, how hard would it be to produce a structure to 'remove fire gland' on dragon?

You'll need to mod the dragons to have the [PET] tag, since creatures without it don't breed at the moment.  Also, you'll need to tame the female dragons to get them to claim nest boxes.  You'll also need to mod them to have a [CHILD: tag, since that's also needed and they don't have it by default.

Guineafowl egg related raw
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dragon egg related raw
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

all this from a newb wondering if there was a reason to hangonto a dragons egg while running like a sissy girl

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2012, 06:13:36 pm »

Aside from the egg tag, do dragons and domestic fowl both have CHILD?

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2012, 02:57:48 am »

The thread.. lives O_o?

Quick question - can we mod the dwarves to trade dragon eggs (after removing the pet exotic tag) in a pregenned world?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2012, 07:45:37 am »

No.  You could do this with a new world, by making dragons into domestic creatures that dwarves have access to, and then having the dwarven traders be able to bring dragon eggs just like they can bring turkey eggs.  You can't do it with an existing world.  Furthermore, the eggs will never hatch this way, since eggs only hatch if laid in a nest box and left there until they hatch.

DustanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2012, 08:23:56 am »

how to prevent your haulers from snatching the eggs from nest boxes?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4