Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dragon hatchery concept/idea/crack pot scheme  (Read 5750 times)

Razonatair

• Bay Watcher
  • Move along citizen, nothing to see here.
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon hatchery concept/idea/crack pot scheme
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 03:38:04 pm »

Just chain the thing before it gets away, and always remember to tame within a lockable room. It's not like Dragons are [GRAZER]'s, so we can still stick them somewhere and not care about feeding them.

If you're concerned about the dragon's fire melting or burning its own chain, well, make the chain fire or magma proof, depending on how hot Dragon breath is (I currently don't know this). Make the doors fire or magma proof as well, just to be sure that there's no way the fire can escape. You can keep the one male hidden away somewhere in the depths like this, as a zero threat. As for the female, build a nest box right next to the chain, also out of fire/magma safe material. Try to send a dwarf clad in armor in to take the eggs away to the food stockpiles, or hatchlings to another secure room, to enhance his chances of surviving any accidental fire.

The main issues with this are taming Dragons, which requires a Dungeon Master, and the very slow speed at which Dragons mature. Both are easily remedied with a few raw tweaks. Sure, chances are you'll lose one or two dwarves to dragon fire, but who cares, you're chowing down on dragon eggs and meat!

Never tame a possibly dangerous beast in a situation where it's obvious you're asking for trouble, such as it having an easy path to a meeting area.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 03:52:53 pm »

There is also a major issue with taming dragons, even by changing PET_EXOTIC to PET--they still breathe fire.

I tamed a dragon that I had been using in the arena. Previously I had been doing a simple cage trap recapture scheme which worked every time.  After it was tame it was no longer vulnerable to cage traps. Like all pets, the dragon headed straight to the nearest meeting area, no biting anyone, but unlike all pets, it was periodically breathing fire nonetheless.  7 dwarves melted. The military killed it even though I couldn't target it directly. I figured it was a feature (e.g. dragons are too wily to tame, they just fool you into thinking they are your friends, and then poof--fried dwarves everywhere)
Maybe tie it up in the front of your fort?

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 04:02:47 pm »

There is also a major issue with taming dragons, even by changing PET_EXOTIC to PET--they still breathe fire.

I tamed a dragon that I had been using in the arena. Previously I had been doing a simple cage trap recapture scheme which worked every time.  After it was tame it was no longer vulnerable to cage traps. Like all pets, the dragon headed straight to the nearest meeting area, no biting anyone, but unlike all pets, it was periodically breathing fire nonetheless.  7 dwarves melted. The military killed it even though I couldn't target it directly. I figured it was a feature (e.g. dragons are too wily to tame, they just fool you into thinking they are your friends, and then poof--fried dwarves everywhere)
Maybe tie it up in the front of your fort?

What I was hoping to do. 2 dragons as sentinels in a 1x1 fortified pill box. Any attackers get toasted.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 04:24:30 pm »

Once you remove the eggs from the nest box, they become "unhatchable"(I say unhatchable because a male must fertilize the egg).

So you need a male and a female dragon, on fortress mode, to lay the eggs and to ensure dwarves DON'T haul the eggs to a food stockpile.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 05:16:04 pm »

If this was in .19 or after, then your tame dragon probably got cramped in the meeting hall.  Overlapping with other animals for too long results in hostilities, which is usually chickens pecking other chickens, but you throw a dragon in...

Hilariously, I've got a nest box with a female turkey on it, laying and hatching dozens of eggs.  As soon as the chicks hatch, they crowd their mother, and get angry, and fight, and kill each other.  This sounds like a prime way to remove the FPS drain of dozens of chicks, and also test of layed eggs are hatched without a mother.  I'll butcher her, and see what happens.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 09:01:09 pm »

Another thing not mentioned (admittedly, I skimmed the thread) was the time it takes to hatch eggs. In another post a couple weeks ago someone created a modded drake creature which laid eggs that had a size of 2100 and he reported that after three years of sitting on those drake eggs they had not yet hatched and in that thread I recall the general consensus was that egg size was proportional to gestation time. Dragon eggs are size 6100. If this relationship is directly proportional you could be looking at a decade (or LONGER) before any eggs ever hatch.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 09:51:36 pm »

Another thing not mentioned (admittedly, I skimmed the thread) was the time it takes to hatch eggs. In another post a couple weeks ago someone created a modded drake creature which laid eggs that had a size of 2100 and he reported that after three years of sitting on those drake eggs they had not yet hatched and in that thread I recall the general consensus was that egg size was proportional to gestation time. Dragon eggs are size 6100. If this relationship is directly proportional you could be looking at a decade (or LONGER) before any eggs ever hatch.
That just makes it more epic once he achieves a massive fort that has the sole purpose of breeding dragons and making the room for said dragons

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 10:51:57 pm »

I'll get excited about this when we get mounts.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 02:09:06 am »

I wont have much time to play though, dont get fun time post work.

Currently I am trying to find a bunch of eggs with adventurer(s). Unfortunately I have been sidetracked by ineptitude with adventure mode, and bogey men. But with lots of use of worldviewer and legends viewer I know where the dragon lairs are. Which is pretty far apart :(.

I think I should have genned a smaller pocket world with massive numbers of beasts, a sort of overcrowded safari world of horrors.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 06:26:14 am »

If this was in .19 or after, then your tame dragon probably got cramped in the meeting hall.  Overlapping with other animals for too long results in hostilities, which is usually chickens pecking other chickens, but you throw a dragon in...

Hilariously, I've got a nest box with a female turkey on it, laying and hatching dozens of eggs.  As soon as the chicks hatch, they crowd their mother, and get angry, and fight, and kill each other.
Yeah... That should probably be toned down in the future. I have a huge pasture for my horses, but they still fight because they now tend to stick close to each other due to going after the same grass tile. Gets kind of annoying considering they A) should be a pack animal B) are attacking their own foals/siblings (or so I strongly suspect), who try to stick near their mother.

At least they suck at fighting enough that they don't cause serious damage more often than I want to butcher, but it's still kind annoys me that horses act like fighting fish instead of social animals who naturally stick to each other for protection.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Uselessness

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 10:23:09 am »

I wont have much time to play though, dont get fun time post work.

Currently I am trying to find a bunch of eggs with adventurer(s). Unfortunately I have been sidetracked by ineptitude with adventure mode, and bogey men. But with lots of use of worldviewer and legends viewer I know where the dragon lairs are. Which is pretty far apart :(.

I think I should have genned a smaller pocket world with massive numbers of beasts, a sort of overcrowded safari world of horrors.

Gen'd a small world with 50k semi mega 50k mega and 1k titans, walk 5 minutes find 2 bronze collossus temples, 4 hydra lairs, a dragon lair with 3x dragons and a stack of eggs(stole one first time i found it without waking them up after killing all the hydras i died a firey death had !FUN!)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 10:29:56 am »

Cool 12 month necro bro.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 10:32:43 am »

As an experinced turkey breeder (nothing feeds dwarves like *Turkey Roast*) I can report that at least in the last version if the turkey did not sit on the eggs they would not hatch.

to relate this to the dragon now just requires two reletively simple presumptions.

a) it hasn't been changed in new version. I don't think it has.
b) system hasn't changed for dragons and has always been the same. I have never heard of fertilized eggs being able to hatch if not sat on by a mother even if they are from a megabeast like a roc or a dragon.

So capturing dragons is likely your only option.

(edit ninja's by girlinhat, didn't realize was necro)
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 10:36:56 am »

Either way, we've very well established that your only option for breeding dragons is to catch a male and female.  Particularly, a tame female, because egglayers will only claim a nest box if they're tamed.

Attempts to generate eggs via custom reaction have generated eggs, but the eggs were not in a nest box.  Further attempts to generate eggs into a nest box were unable to keep them in the next box, and the eggs were unfertilized without a mother, so they never would have hatched anyways.  Creating life through the workshop is still something that eludes us.

Uselessness

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 10:54:46 am »

now if were that dwarfbent on taming dragons, i had the 3dragons in a single lair show up, should i colonize ontop of that lair and commit science to animal traming profession? the naked human outcast didnt do very good job at surviving even after having epic dodge and high ambush(guess i needed more training from urist mcsneaknpoke) so i should still be able to attempt to capture all 3 live dragons
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4