Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Slavery to Doctrine / Culture  (Read 5159 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Slavery to Doctrine / Culture
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2011, 07:20:50 pm »

Isn't it the other way round though? They're in the majority because they think similarly, they don't think the same because they're the majority.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2011, 07:22:15 pm »

Isn't it the other way round though? They're in the majority because they think similarly, they don't think the same because they're the majority.

I'm willing to bet there's a good amount of both. A study of this would be interesting.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2011, 07:29:02 pm »

I'm sure there are studies that we could use already, but I wouldn't know what they are. I'd say there is definitely a correlation between peer groups and tastes, whether that's causative I dunno, but being part of certain groups does make it more likely for you to be part of other groups.

My guess would be because the most prevalent interests in the group you spend the most time with are the things you're going to come into contact with the most, and from my experience if you're around something enough chances are good you'll get interested in it. Not always true, but if you hear a lot of country and never hear any jazz you're much less likely to listen to jazz than country.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2011, 08:25:23 pm »

Be a slave to unreason instead
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2011, 09:45:02 pm »

Gni? I'm lost. Who argue what?
Are you disagreeing while holding the same position?

I can not believe I missed this chance for a gem of hilarity.

Sadly by saying that I have killed all of said hilarity.

Ect ect ect.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2011, 12:12:19 am »

On the whole burqa thing, consider the Amish.  They have rules that require the use of plain clothing.  When I had a chance to talk to some Amish folks on my last big roadtrip, turns out that they really enjoy not having the constant fashion struggle that other cultural groups have going on, and that it hides differences of wealth.  Similarly I've heard of people saying that they like wearing burqas or similar things because it makes physical beauty less important; people judge you on what you say instead of the appearance you were born with, good or bad (attractive girls can really appreciate not being fawned over constantly).

Yeah, some cultures do the whole 'women as property' thing and it really blows, but you can't just assume that every single cultural element is totally whacked out that way.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2011, 12:29:52 am »

Perhaps lack of empathy is greater then I first thought.

Just because something would make you unhappy, does not mean it makes all unhappy. I love beacon, it is an awesome food product that is easy to cook, goes well by itself or as part of a larger meal, and makes a satisfying sound as it cooks. Yet others do not eat beacon, and I'm sure their waist lines thank them for it, and knowing that they have the willpower to resist this fatty temptation makes them happy. All that without even having to start to go into historical or religious practice. Should I pity those who are missing out on my hammy treat, just because they are too lazy to work it off afterwards because 'modern society has brainwashed everybody into watching tv in their free time!!!', or even worse, then refuse to eat it because 'Their god will smite them for eating he's beloved piggies!!!'. Well no, not really, I should just accept that they do not eat beacon.

Just like some people wear specific clothing or preform specific rituals, or hold things in higher priory to other things.

This becomes some what of a problem, however, when people not only understand that we all have choices, but try to enforce their own on others. Have you ever heard somebody say to another, or yourself, that they (or you) are going to a specific hell for not worshipping a certain god? They are trying to scare you into compliance, a tactic often refereed to as 'terrorism'.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2011, 12:35:08 am »

Yes, you should absolutely pity those with a bacon free lifestyle. Its a national tragedy.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2011, 12:36:05 am »

OK! Death to the beacon haters!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2011, 12:40:25 am »

...I'm in a bit of s truggle here... Should I throw godwin's law to hell just because it's funny?

Oh screw it.
That's what he said.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2011, 12:43:28 am »

That's what he said.

Aww crap.
Well, at least I'm a charismatic asshole.  :D

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2011, 12:45:20 am »

That's what he said.

Aww crap.
Well, at least I'm a charismatic asshole.  :D
That's what h- *punches self*
... ok I think I got it out of my system.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2011, 03:04:42 am »

May the power of bacon compel you!
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2011, 07:31:44 am »

I'm glad my bacon analogy got so much mileage. Crispy, greasy mileage.

@Pnx: You're right in the regard of Southern slave ownership being relatively rare and yet large groups of non-slaveholding Southerners being willing to fight and die for the CSA. But I think you're ascribing a motive that wasn't necessarily there. I'd go into the details, but that deserves its own thread. Maybe next month, when we "celebrate" the 150th anniversary of Ft. Sumter. Basically, I'd say it's the same scenario as poor white rednecks and filthy-rich Wall Street bankers finding common cause in the GOP, despite their having very little common interest. The main thing is that they perceive a common enemy.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2011, 07:47:43 am »

i find the idea in op some what arrogant and ignorant (perhaps it could have been worded more delicately).

by declaring some one elses religious beliefs or world view slavery, and yours freedom, you are settin your self up as a moral superior.

You are also assuming that people with religious views have not logically selected them, or made a personal choice, which they may well have.

Everyone has a master of sorts in their life. We all devote our lives to various rules and persutes. Whether this is buying lots of crap, earning as much money on the stock market as possible, praying every day and having a controlled diet, getting laid as much as possible, rising through the career ladder, beating Nethack etc. If you dedicate and consequently restrict part of your life to gaining an ends, you are in a sense a slave. I guess it comes down to what you gain from your slavery, and whether its worth it, which is more of a personal question. Unless this slaver has a dramatic effect on others i dont think you can take the moral higher ground.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5