Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Mini-Project: Elf Tree  (Read 11410 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Project: Elf Tree
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2011, 08:30:16 pm »

Paused as I grow a bit frustrated with DF and focus on Vindictus for a bit.  I'm also debating the branches, and thinking of making some modular branches rather than freehanding.  Like, a template for a branch, and then build that type randomly.  This single branch has given me a lot of frustration.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2011, 08:34:35 pm »

Maybe a simple shape that you rotate randomly.

Code: [Select]
   XXXX
XXXX

Then just vary the thickness for their proximity to the trunk and where you want them to split.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2011, 08:54:14 pm »

Actually, I was moreover varying length, as I've noticed the lower branches tend to be long and droop, and the higher branches shorter and perkier.  The general shape I'm going for, I think, so more like...
Code: [Select]
WWWWW
WWWWW
  W 
  W 
WW W
   WW
    W
or something...  Give it a bit more "branchy" look by splitting near the end.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2011, 09:04:01 pm »

Makes total sense.  I just threw out a base shape that could be thickened or rotated around the long axis by 90 degrees to give some variety, or with it thickened, splitting it off in some fashion would work fairly well.

Get to far into this and we'd end up with a pine tree with innumerable branches and something green for needles.

Joshua IX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Whatever happens, make it ironic dwarfy magma.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2011, 09:32:28 am »

You realize that chopping down trees, harvesting their fresh corpses into neatly cut lumber, constructing walls and floors out of this material, and calling the result a "tree" .. well, it's the moral equivalent of calling a hamburger and a leather jacket a "cow." Wait, let me translate that into DF terms - it's like calling a cat tallow biscuit and a cat leather quiver a "kitten."

Not that I have anything but praise for the project itself, the name just seems misleading.. unless one interprets the name as an ironic insult to the elves that only highlights what a cruel parody this construction is of its namesake - in which case, bravo, very dwarfy.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 09:40:35 am by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2011, 05:10:46 pm »

It's part parody on the elve's love of trees, to imprison them in a large wooden structure, and also because it's supposed to resemble a tree.  Made of logs, it has a trunk and branches and spindly little twigs with bits of fruit on them.  It's like taking a piece of leather and making a stuffed cow toy from it and calling it a "cow".

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2011, 05:29:49 pm »

*removed by request*

Ask and ye shall receive.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:03:14 pm by white_darkness »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2011, 05:35:49 pm »

Please edit that post, we don't need another argument of that type here.  Last one killed a whole thread...

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2011, 10:11:38 am »

I think the best thing you could do here is hollow out the base of the 7x7 tree and build the trade depot there. Preferably out of more wood.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]