Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Mini-Project: Elf Tree  (Read 11411 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Mini-Project: Elf Tree
« on: March 07, 2011, 10:40:20 pm »

I have more than a few caged elves.  I have a nearby cave, particularly a mound of stone, which I'd dug into just a little to create a staircase from the center going up.  I love color-coded wood.

Result?  A quick hash together of Blood Thorn logs, harvested from deep underground and built into an enormous tree, with a trunk about 8 levels high (plus the height of the cave) and adorned with elves in cages.  It will be a testament to my would-be ambushers, a crippling blood red, barren tree, devoid of leaves or fruit, except for its clutches of caged elves splattered amongst its branches.

I've started basic construction, namely the main trunk over a 7x7 area made into a rough cylinder.  My only regret is that elves cannot be strung by their necks and left to dangle in the wind.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Project: Elf Tree
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 10:45:28 pm »

Surround all in a lake of magma, build an altar, and sacrifice one elf every year for Armok!

Or link the hanging cages to random pressure plates so every in a while a dwarf step in it and a random elf fall in the lake of fire.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:48:49 pm by arkhometha »

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 10:48:13 pm »

I'd say the important question will be what will get left under the tree for elfmas(?).

The tree will be raised and the decorations will be hung with care.  What goodies are you hoping to get?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 10:48:29 pm »

I opened this thread expecting disappointment.
I was wrong.
This is very awesome, and as such, pictures are mandatory.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 10:49:34 pm »

Can you make cages out of petrified wood?

*EDIT* Nevermind...well, at least the mechanisms for releasing the elves onto the warm, loving magma embrace.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 10:51:36 pm »

Too much trouble, and a bit overboard.  I know, blasphemy for claiming overkill!  But, there's a certain beauty in having this solitary structure amongst the landscape...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The cages will be made of Blood Thorn, unless sufficiently good reason is given to use another material.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 10:52:26 pm »

Can you make cages out of petrified wood?

*EDIT* Nevermind...well, at least the mechanisms for releasing the elves onto the warm, loving magma embrace.
mod in stone cage, then you can.
but petrified wood is quite crispy.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 10:53:15 pm »

Too much trouble, and a bit overboard.  I know, blasphemy for claiming overkill!  But, there's a certain beauty in having this solitary structure amongst the landscape...

The cages will be made of Blood Thorn, unless sufficiently good reason is given to use another material.

Post screens when done!

Or you could build the cages out of Ash.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 10:54:07 pm »

Steel!

"This was once three trees! Now its reduced to this!"

By the way, say three trees 10 times in a row, fast.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 10:55:41 pm »

You can make cages from Ash logs, but not Ash as in burned trees.  While I have plenty of iron and flux, and magma smelters, I don't feel they deserve steel.  While grandiose, this is just a little project going alongside my tower to add a bit of flare, it's not a megaproject.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 10:57:12 pm »

Oh... Then use Blood Thorn. Kinda makes it all red, like blood...humm...Armok...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 10:59:09 pm »

Blood Thorn is the current goal.  I'm scouring the caverns looking for more of the stuff.  Stupid blind cave ogres keep messing with my woodcutters...

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 02:29:41 am »

I've started basic construction, namely the main trunk over a 7x7 area made into a rough cylinder.  My only regret is that elves cannot be strung by their necks and left to dangle in the wind.

You can, however, build floating cages with an exploit.  Build them on top of a constructed wall, then remove the construction.  You can then use that to give them the appearance that they're floating by building a branch above them.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 02:32:38 am »

I'm aware of this, and will likely use it to create better berry clusters for the tree limbs.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 03:07:14 am »

You can, however, build floating cages with an exploit.  Build them on top of a constructed wall, then remove the construction.  You can then use that to give them the appearance that they're floating by building a branch above them.

If you hook the cages up to a lever before you remove the constructions, you can drop the elves from the tree in the future.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5