Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Animal-Powered Watchtower  (Read 45119 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Animal-Powered Watchtower
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2011, 02:55:27 am »

Impressive, but it's got a bit footprint and a lot of work involved.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2011, 06:50:31 am »

Impressive, but it's got a bit footprint and a lot of work involved.
And that is undwarfy how? :)

(Seriously, I know it's not as simple, and a lot of the finer features are very much mainly for the aesthetics of the thing.)

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2011, 03:30:17 pm »

Probably use 9 windows instead of 4 depending on how many i have available.
And how is the roof supported? Or do you let any flying beast enter?
Anyway fortifications let your animals get killed by archers and reloading a new animal is kinda a pain.
With windows behind fortifications, archers can't shoot through and building destroyers can't destroy anything.
Building Destroyers can destroy from 2 blocks away
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2011, 03:59:51 pm »

If they can path to it.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2011, 07:18:52 pm »

HHmmm... since I don't mind using danger rooms, you could have the danger room be one pill box, and the lever be in another... of course you will want a fast way to get the guy out of the danger room and into the battle... I will have to think a little on this.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2011, 07:57:47 pm »

This discussion of cages rekindled the idea of dwarven stasis, only to crush it again when I remembered caged dwarves need food :C
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2011, 09:49:01 pm »

FBs (and presumably other building destroyers) can't deconstruct through fortifications. I know this because I had a three tailed blob made of flame get stuck in my plumbing system, so I carved some fortifications to shoot it with. I had doors right next to the fortifications for when the water would return, but the doors were not damaged any. (And there was some time between me placing them there and the FB bing shot.) I think this also means that FBs made of flame (so probably flame HFS as well) CANNOT move through carved fortifications (when there is no water in them).

[edit:] I forget, can creatures see downwards through floor grates?
Soaplent green is goblins!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2011, 11:07:30 pm »

Yes.  And up through floor grates!  Build a trail fort, then enter adventure mode.  This is what your dwarves see.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2011, 08:56:53 am »

I love this concept.  It's a way to make gems and glass windows really useful.  On my latest fortress I've taken the idea to a ridiculous extreme.  The fortress includes a large aboveground structure covering most of the map.  The entire outer wall of the fortress is lined with windows on the 2nd floor, with war dogs chained periodically behind the windows.  Essentially I've made the entire aboveground fortress into one giant animal-powered watchtower.  Thieves and ambush groups are spotted almost the moment they enter the map, giving me plenty of time to decide how to deal with them.  Which came in handy when I pissed off the elves badly enough for them to send me 30+ ambush groups in a single season.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2011, 11:31:05 am »

I had to deal with ambushing elves once.  I countered them with a single soldier wearing steel.  Wooden armor?  Bah!  Then again, for some reason these elves insisted on coming one at a time, and I've have a group of 30 elves on war grizzlies, fighting my soldier 1 on 1...

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2011, 12:20:40 pm »

The animals will still die of old age. If you are planning on using these watch towers for a longer period of time, is there any reason not to replace those four stilts with eight walls and a staircase going underground to safely replace the animals? You won't even have to access the surface this way.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2011, 12:27:53 pm »

It's true, they will die, but as you'll note in the original posts, animals live for quite a while.  A peacock has raws set to live 15-30 years.  That means it will be 15 years AT LEAST before you have to replace the animal.  While I enjoy good infrastructure, I'm not inclined to build a system of tunnels for an event that happens once every two decades.  If you feel the need for tunnels and stairs, by all means, go ahead, it's your fort and you can do as you like, but you'll rarely, if ever, use them.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2011, 08:26:41 am »

You forgot to put a third level on the tower--a tank of magma that can be dumped out via lever and floodgate.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2011, 12:44:37 pm »

You forgot to put a third level on the tower--a tank of magma that can be dumped out via lever and floodgate.
That would be the first lever, not the third - because there are no levers!  This is not a weapon, this is not a fanciful piece of equipment, this is a simple and robust watchtower, nothing more.  If you're adding magma and archers, you've made something entirely different.  The entire purpose of this tower is to be a very cheap and easy method to detect ambushes before they reach your gate.  Weaponizing is great, and everyone loves a good moat or spike pit, but that's for something else.  THIS, is for simplicity of design and robust purpose.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2011, 01:11:32 pm »

[The entire purpose of this tower is to be a very cheap and easy method to detect ambushes before they reach your gate.... THIS, is for simplicity of design and robust purpose.
I dunno 'bout you guys, but dogs chained sporadically in the wilderness uncovers ambushes for me just fine.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10