Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Animal-Powered Watchtower  (Read 45080 times)

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal-Powered Watchtower
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2011, 05:27:55 pm »

I wasn't aware you could place fortifications by carving a wall.
No one was.  It is heresy.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 20, 2011, 05:44:09 pm »

My project to surround my fortress with a series of impenetrable watchtowers which can be reloaded from inside is finished.
There is an enclosed walkway over the towers with 2 levers each tower. One to open hatch to put in a new bird, one to flush out a dead one.
Below the towers run tunnels where the remains can be collected.

The tricky bit is to put the windows in a tower, put in the hatches and connect to levers and removing the stairs before the next siege.

I used geese as they are traditional farmer watchdogs.  :D

All that remains is to replace the few green glass windows with clear glass.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 20, 2011, 05:57:52 pm »

The reason for the wall corners (as mentioned in OP) is aesthetics.  In Stonesense, it looked weird with 8 windows, so I threw in walls and a roof.  I wasn't aware you could place fortifications by carving a wall.

Oh, I verified with a bit of kitten-based !Science! that contructed walls that are carved into fortifications are indeed loadbearing walls.  I thought they were but wasn't 100%.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2011, 06:02:02 pm »

I wasn't aware you could place fortifications by carving a wall.
No one was.  It is heresy.

Heh, the way I see it, constructed fortifications are like crenelations, and constructed walls with fortifications are like murderholes or arrowslots.

I would not be suprised if visibility or firing acuracy through the two types of fortifications differ.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2011, 09:31:38 am »

The reason for the wall corners (as mentioned in OP) is aesthetics.  In Stonesense, it looked weird with 8 windows, so I threw in walls and a roof.  I wasn't aware you could place fortifications by carving a wall.

Oh, I verified with a bit of kitten-based !Science! that contructed walls that are carved into fortifications are indeed loadbearing walls.  I thought they were but wasn't 100%.

While I was usually building fortifications by carving constructed wall (because I often decide where to put fortifications after the wall is constructed), I also had some built in one step, and it seems all of them can bear floors and the like. And one-step fortifications aren't even really equivalent to walls until you build floors on them. Fortifications carved out of built walls already have the floors and dwarves and other brutes can walk on them.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2011, 01:59:55 pm »

luckluigi, that looks awesome. the animals there are used 'cause you have too many, I presume? 'cause  I'm thinking of using dogs from my dogsplosions I seem to suffer from.

and what version of DF are you using? stonesense doesn't work with my .25

yes, I did just hijack this topic :P
There will be no hijacking of this topic.  It is too important.

There is wisdom and HERESY here, do you not understand?

Use of dogs is disadvised.  Bitches will drop litter in their watchtower, which leads to crowding, which leads to bloodshed.  On the other mitt, keeping significant numbers of dogs (males, that is) will lower your level of trait selection, leading to pups that do not meet your dog requirements.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2011, 02:53:55 pm »

If you have spare dogs, use the males.  Or not.  If you drop in females and they breed, then eventually they kill each other until one survives, so all is made well in the end.  I still prefer birds, however.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2011, 02:55:18 pm »

If you have spare dogs, use the males.  Or not.  If you drop in females and they breed, then eventually they kill each other until one survives, so all is made well in the end.  I still prefer birds, however.

Do hunting dogs have a better natural observation skill than other dogs?  If so, male hunting dogs?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2011, 02:59:33 pm »

Unknown, and to my knowledge, untested.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 21, 2011, 03:08:51 pm »

Unknown, and to my knowledge, untested.

I'll see what I can do then - I have a nice little observation point near the entry to my fort with a kitten in it currently.  Will train up a hunting dog and start tracking how close things get to it before they are detected, then replace with a war dog and do the same.  Will take some time and I might just give up on it, it's going to be a hard experiment to control, because I don't know if there are different levels of goblin sneakiness.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 21, 2011, 03:11:25 pm »

Can you place war/hunting dogs in the arena?

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 21, 2011, 03:13:19 pm »

I prefer Pigeons, if I can catch them. once I do, I release 'em out to the skies and Most of the time, I get notice of a snatcher or thief. And of course, after learning pigeons once lived in the Carnival, I know they can handle themselves pretty well.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 21, 2011, 03:17:37 pm »

Can you place war/hunting dogs in the arena?

Not sure, I've used the arena once, then I discovered that you can't build anything there and never looked at again :P

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 21, 2011, 04:13:14 pm »

Well, you might not be able to make fortifications/stairs, etc, but you can easily cast walls, including blocking off the path the water drains away from, which can add a little frisson of jeopardy as the water fills up certain areas. :)

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2011, 02:20:17 pm »

I've tried these with poults, I'm not sure if they are as effective as with adult birds but it gives me a use for a pile of poults so I'm happy.
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10