Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Animal-Powered Watchtower  (Read 45081 times)

jwest23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal-Powered Watchtower
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2011, 10:39:34 pm »

The last time I tried, yes.

YMMV.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2011, 10:40:20 pm »

Can you carve a fortification out of a constructed wall?  I... have never tested this but I assumed it's preposterous!

Yes, lol I can certainly verify this is possible, because that was the only way I knew how to build fortifications where there was not natural rock, lol.

Since it is a two step process, it may be different from fortifications that are built directly from rocks.  The fortification may retain load bearing properties.

Heck there might be varying visual and ranged attack permeability between the two types of fortifications as well.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2011, 10:57:56 pm »

Well, I just built a diamond shaped bunker with all constructed fortifications and had no problem building a roof on top of it. Fortifications seem to support a roof just fine. So there's no really any need to build walls first. Now I need to get a siege with some trolls to test out whether or not they can deconstruct the windows through the diagonals. I just finished getting rid of a siege, so it may be a little while. Too bad I don't have any captive trolls in stock, just a few goblins.

The human caravan & diplomat just arrived. Too bad I can't put in a request for a few trolls next time they come. :)

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2011, 11:01:50 pm »

Well, I just built a diamond shaped bunker with all constructed fortifications and had no problem building a roof on top of it. Fortifications seem to support a roof just fine. So there's no really any need to build walls first. Now I need to get a siege with some trolls to test out whether or not they can deconstruct the windows through the diagonals. I just finished getting rid of a siege, so it may be a little while. Too bad I don't have any captive trolls in stock, just a few goblins.

The human caravan & diplomat just arrived. Too bad I can't put in a request for a few trolls next time they come. :)

Keith

Doesn't dwarven deconstruction follow the same rules as everyone elses?

Try deconstructing with a dwarf, and restrict where the dwarf can access from?

A troll experiment would be good after, but knowing if dwarves and trolls follow the same deconstruction rules would be handy for future !science!
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2011, 11:11:08 pm »

I'm not too sure they do follow the same rules. Dwarves usually get right next to the thing they are deconstructing, but trolls usually stay two spaces away from what I've seen. I think there is a distinct difference between deconstructing and destroying. I used the wrong term in my last post.

I'll still give it a try. I'll just lock the hatch and the only dwarven access will be from outside.  I just don't think it will really tell us anything.

Edit: Bah! just got a stupid ambush. Go away and come back with some trolls, you idiots!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:16:58 pm by khearn »
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2011, 12:57:04 am »

Well, I've had two sieges, and in both cases the trolls ignored my diamond shaped bunkers and headed straight for my fort. In the first siege, they didn't really go near the two bunkers I have built, so I wasn't sure. But the second time, they walked right past one.

So this design seems to be safe from building destroyers:
Code: [Select]
...F...
..FWF..
.FWbWF.
.FWhWF.
..FWF..
...F...

I also had an order to deconstruct one of the windows (with the hatch locked to prevent access from inside) and it's been sitting for almost a year without anyone doing it. So dwarves don't seem to be able to deconstrcut with only diagonal access, either.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2011, 01:07:16 am »

Well, I've had two sieges, and in both cases the trolls ignored my diamond shaped bunkers and headed straight for my fort. In the first siege, they didn't really go near the two bunkers I have built, so I wasn't sure. But the second time, they walked right past one.

...F...
..FWF..
.FWbWF.
.FWhWF.
..FWF..
...F...

I also had an order to deconstruct one of the windows (with the hatch locked to prevent access from inside) and it's been sitting for almost a year without anyone doing it. So dwarves don't seem to be able to deconstrcut with only diagonal access, either.

Good to know !  Good science!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2011, 01:16:34 am »

...F...
..FWF..
.FWbWF.
.FWhWF.
..FWF..
...F...

Have there been any proof of building-destroyers working on diagonals? I know dwarves refuses to build proper construction from such slants, they'll put doors up though.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2011, 02:50:16 pm »

In my current fort I have built six of these watchtowers, they work beautifully. I have an artificial canyon carved through my map leading to my fort, with the watchtowers at the entrance to the fort, 20 tiles down the gully, and at the mid-point of the gully. The coverage works great, and combined with a large number of traps I've had no problems with ambushes!
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2011, 03:29:52 pm »

Just to confirm: You can build a wall, carve a fortification from the constructed wall, and build upon it.  The floor created by the converted wall still remains.  All of those worried "But they may not see the ambush through the walls!" can carve their walls.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2011, 04:54:55 pm »

All of those worried "But they may not see the ambush through the walls!" can carve their walls.
Will they not be shot through those fortifications?

Can arrows not move like bishops in addition to the cardinal fashion?
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2011, 05:18:46 pm »

I've not observed them to, and it means the enemy would need to be in a specific location.  I've never seen any ranged soldier intentionally get into firing position.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2011, 05:21:34 pm »

I've not observed them to, and it means the enemy would need to be in a specific location.  I've never seen any ranged soldier intentionally get into firing position.
I'm not convinced the shooter would need to be in an exact location.  Do you not think it would be figured by 'close enough'?

Have you made use of these with only the windows for protection, no corner posts?  I apologize in advance if this was addressed earlier in the thread.

There was a reason for only four windows, not eight, was there not?
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2011, 05:22:42 pm »

I learned, that in 31.25 one should only put one animal per tower, and preferably male. Even 2 animals in the same spot will get enraged and fight. Now my towers have red walls. Oh well, I'll just wait and see, what prevails. I should also probably order more male dogs from liaison, and train them for hunting (which may or may not sharpen their senses).

Oh, and I have a question. Does quality or material influence visibility? Will I be fine with -green glass window-s ?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:24:57 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2011, 05:25:32 pm »

The reason for the wall corners (as mentioned in OP) is aesthetics.  In Stonesense, it looked weird with 8 windows, so I threw in walls and a roof.  I wasn't aware you could place fortifications by carving a wall.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10