Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My pastured animals are fighting among themselves  (Read 977 times)

Redukt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My pastured animals are fighting among themselves
« on: March 07, 2011, 05:54:03 pm »

Yes, I checked - everyone involved was tame. WTF?

Is it a bug? Is it something that happens when grass gets scarce (note - there was still grass in several places)? How can I make it not happen again? Only *I* get to kill my Stray Baby Llamas, damnit.

Slug Advisor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: My pastured animals are fighting among themselves
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 06:03:19 pm »

I've been noticing my war dogs infighting when I'm not being assaulted by rhesus macaques and turkey hens. It's kind of a problem, since my 79 dogs were literally the only things I embarked with and my primary means of defense, but surprisingly enough, none of them are dead, just incredibly scarred. I'm not sure if dogs actually get tougher from training as they fight, but if so, by the end of this I expect them to be an indestructible army of barking death machines. Two in particular, Ingish and Zasit, provide me with daily battle reports of 'The war dog bites the war dogs in the unmentionables, tearing the skin and bruising the tissue. The war dogs latches on firmly'. Coincidentally, 78 of them are female.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 06:14:03 pm »

This isn't a bug - it's intended behavior. Animals don't like being crowded. Make bigger pastures.

For dogs, it's probably an issue with your meeting area being too small.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 06:15:33 pm »

Ok, I know that it's not always best to chastise people for asking the same question repeatedly, but this is the SAME exact question several times a day!  Use the search bar you've got up there!

Short answer: Animals get cranky if they're pushed into a small enclosure for too long.  No more 1x1 kitten pits.  Well, actually yes to those, they'll kill each other.  No dog or cow pits though, your breeding stock will kill each other.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 06:18:14 pm »

So in short, you can now organize cock fights since both cranky animals and chickens have been implemented. Or kitten death matches.

EDIT: darn, now I wish you could get animals to equip items so you could put spurs on the chickens and such.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:22:09 pm by arzzult »
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Redukt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 06:26:31 pm »

Ok, I know that it's not always best to chastise people for asking the same question repeatedly, but this is the SAME exact question several times a day!  Use the search bar you've got up there!

Short answer: Animals get cranky if they're pushed into a small enclosure for too long.  No more 1x1 kitten pits.  Well, actually yes to those, they'll kill each other.  No dog or cow pits though, your breeding stock will kill each other.

Um, I did search. It seemed like the kind of thing that would have been asked by now, but the search returned nothing relevant. Thanks for the answer, though. Feel free to close this thread.

Slug Advisor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 06:31:50 pm »

Okay, while I'm here, I'd like to also ask whether only certain creatures train up attributes, and if so, which ones?

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 06:33:49 pm »

I believe only creatures with [CAN_LEARN] in their raws can learn skills and up attributes.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 06:34:27 pm »

I know that it's not always best to chastise people for asking the same question repeatedly. Use the search bar you've got up there!

Animals get cranky if they're pushed into a small enclosure for too long. They'll kill each other.  No dog or cow pits, your breeding stock will kill each other.
Um, I did search. It seemed like the kind of thing that would have been asked by now, but the search returned nothing relevant. Thanks for the answer, though. Feel free to close this thread.

If anyone has the ability to lock this thread, it's you. Other than the mods, nobody else can.

I believe only creatures with [CAN_LEARN] in their raws can learn skills and up attributes.

Yeah, that's the way it works.