Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Discoveries from an above ground fort  (Read 7999 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Discoveries from an above ground fort
« on: March 07, 2011, 04:34:07 pm »

So far in my above ground fort of glass, I have discovered two things that are quite nice to know:
1: You can have a natural wall made of sand soil count for a sand gathering zone (without sand floor tiles
2: If you have a down or up/down stairs you CAN build stairs in the space below them. (you couldn't in some of the older versions)

I also learned to check for vegetation before embarking if you are making an above-ground fort.  (and that cage traps on narrow paths over rivers can be really useful)
Soaplent green is goblins!

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discoveries from an above ground fort
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 05:42:27 pm »

I learned that if I want to build outdoors I have to kill every migrant that tries to come in until I have some housing established.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 05:51:01 pm »

Why kill them? They can sleep in the dirt for years and be happy so long as you keep them fat and drunk off their ass.

Anyway, something I learned about above-ground forts is that controlling the high ground is ultimately vital to your survival. You can quickly and easily dig away slopes leading up to a plateau you build on, and it makes it much more difficult for hostile archers to get a good shot from below you.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 06:40:59 pm »

Is blood/vomit/ichor still not cleaned up above ground? Rain drops will clean any tile they land on, but if you have above ground buildings with a roof you will never get rain inside. Do dwarves clean it up, or do they still ignore it forever?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 06:43:02 pm »

It's ignored.  None of my starting 7 are alive, but their blood is all over the ground floor.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 11:14:55 am »

It's ignored.  None of my starting 7 are alive, but their blood is all over the ground floor.
They're fully soaked by the fortress.
Finis sanctificat media.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 04:45:46 pm »

Their memory remains, in a slightly more sticky form.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 04:53:57 pm »

Wasn't there a command that made dorfs haul refuse from upstairs to the proper piles? Can't it be used to clean liquids?
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 05:18:06 pm »

No, there's no cleaning command.  Except for DFCleanmap.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 07:26:21 pm »

Awww. :(

Thanks for confirming though. It was as I feared.

I do miss the old seasonal cleanup in 40D. In 40D all spatter over the entire map is removed at every turn of the season, so at most spatter only sticks around for 3 months, then its taken care of.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 09:24:12 pm »

Easy solution. Carve fortifications in opposing walls, and flood one end of the fort, and drain out the other end. So, North to South, and then it'll wash off all the blood.

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 03:00:11 am »

Easy solution. Carve fortifications in opposing walls, and flood one end of the fort, and drain out the other end. So, North to South, and then it'll wash off all the blood.

A nice idea, but if the flood is too slow, you'll create a torrent of blood instead; blood seems to do weird things to water, usually multiplying / converting the water into blood.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 04:48:42 am »

Are you telling me that i can build Armok's River?

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 04:55:43 am »

Are you telling me that i can build Armok's River?

Armok's Artery.

Because alliteration makes everything excellent.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 05:05:46 am »

2: If you have a down or up/down stairs you CAN build stairs in the space below them. (you couldn't in some of the older versions)
Yes, this was a quick fix by Toady for being able to go down caverns. He wanted to have ropes or something ultimately but it didn't work out in time and the release was long delayed as it was anyway.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: [1] 2