Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Uses for glass?  (Read 2636 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Uses for glass?
« on: March 07, 2011, 03:56:33 pm »

What do you do with glass?  I've got the makings for some clear glass laying about and want some creative uses.  Perhaps make some clear coffins for cherished soldiers?  Make a whole tower level from windows?  If I could make glass weapons and armor I probably would just for fun, but I don't think that's in the raws...

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Uses for glass?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 04:00:46 pm »

I use glass for everything. I love the stuff, my entire meeting hall uses clear glass. I make towers out of glass. I have glass statues. I trade glass trap components. Glass is awesome.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 04:03:16 pm »

I have never made clear glass, as I have never had the materials on hand.  However, I use green glass in nearly every fort, due to the fact that it is magma safe, and is an infinite supply material (as long as one has magma).  I make all my screw pumps from green glass, and since .19 I have been making green glass pots to store my booze in (saves wood).  I sometimes also use green glass serrated discs in my dodge-into-a-pit traps.  Without sand and magma I would be really sad.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 04:06:11 pm »

You can make glass weapons for traps. Their combat effectiveness is questionable, but with the unlimited nature of glass you can go for quantity over quality. Glass cages/terrariums are interesting too. Maybe set up an aquarium.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 04:09:52 pm »

You make a giant magma pump stack out of clear glass, running the entire length of your fortress, in the middle.  Clear glass windows where applicable.  Mod in clear glass mechanism for OCD combo-bonus!

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 04:18:12 pm »

Use clear glass blocks to build windows into the side of a cistern, then once it's filled, put dangerous aquatic wildlife into it. Dwarven aquarium.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 04:20:51 pm »

I've never bothered with clear glass, but green glass doors, chests, cabinets, statues, and the like are littered throughout my fortress. I've heard of it being used for dodge-em traps, though I'd probably just use iron discs anyway.

Its value and infinite availability (once you have the magma and sand) make it a very useful fortress material to have!

If nothing else, cranking out "raw glass gems" and cutting them gives you the ability to train both glassmakers and gem workers to your desired level.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 04:26:46 pm »

Right now I've got like 8 magma forges churning out clay bricks to build with, because glass looks weird on stonesense :P  By the time I'm done, everyone should be legendary potters and masons!

I've just got some spare clear glass and want something cool.  I've been using it for windows for my animal-powered watchtowers, but I've got a bit of a surplus right now.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 04:26:59 pm »

I am LITERALLY doing everything with glass. I just started a no-mining fortress in a desert (with a volcano and a river).
Soaplent green is goblins!

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 04:28:37 pm »

Thanks to the latest updates you can now make glass pots that can be used to store booze and food. At least... when they work. Apparently there's something buggy with glass where it doesn't have the same properties every time you load a game.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 04:34:33 pm »

That's because it lacks the MAXEDGE token, so it grabs a random edge value for random weapon efficiency.  Unrelated to pot bugs.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 05:34:24 pm »

Lots of windows mainly, jeweler training, greenhouse domes, and the occasional magma safe pump is handy. Other than that, it's a relatively minor industry in my forts.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 05:35:56 pm by Patchy »

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 06:08:05 pm »

That's because it lacks the MAXEDGE token, so it grabs a random edge value for random weapon efficiency.  Unrelated to pot bugs.

This means the above user's "Dodge-into-a-pit" green glass trap varies from "tee-hee ~ *is pushed into a pit" to "Goblin fricassee anyone?"

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 06:13:05 pm »

Well, lots of underwater windows make tantrum spirals a lot more interesting.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 06:17:07 pm »

How do animal powered watchtowers work?
Pages: [1] 2