Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dealing with FB toxins  (Read 660 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Dealing with FB toxins
« on: March 07, 2011, 12:53:54 pm »

It just occurred to me that apparently no one has tried this.  As much as FB kill forts via poison, can't you lay floor and remove anything like mud and blood from the floor?  Poison on the walls is inert, but floors you can build/deconstruct the existing floor and remove it, right?

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with FB toxins
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 01:06:00 pm »

But that's no FUN.

DgnBiscuit

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been nauseated by the sun lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 01:47:44 pm »

Depends on the floor. In my experience you can remove the floor and have the poison fall one level. Not always useful. It has a tendency to get on the person removing the floor, however. Sometimes you can put a floor over a natural floor and have it go away. But if they walk through it on the way to put on the new floor (and by they I mean anything that moves, especially cats) they'll just spread it to the new floor on the way back.

If you're underground seriously consider collapsing the layers above onto the effected layers. Flooding the area with lava may work as well (never tried), flooding with water just pushes it around (did try).

Ultimately, the only way to really deal with a messy forgotten beast at the moment (dust, slime, etc...) is barricade yourself into your fort, kill it before it has a chance to spread it's nastiness and somehow contain the corpse from prying cats, or (and this is usually what you have to do if they get into your fort) restart. I say that last part because there's no remedy for FB toxins, they frequently get everywhere due to cat movement, and they frequently are deadly, regardless of their description, effectively meaning you end up in a situation where either your dwarves will all die before the tantrum spirals start or they'll all die in the tantrums spirals. Either way you've lost.

I typically dig down in shafts designed for that purpose (they have a collapse trap at the top, effectively sealing the shaft and killing any forgotten beast). Once I've found the underground area I cave in parts of the ceiling to create walls at the surface in the caves, then fill in the walls above till they meet the ceiling. That cuts off FB access to the fort and gives me access to a section of the underground. So far it's the only thing that seems to work long term.

-DB
Urist McKitten has been ecstatic lately. Urist McKitten can has cheezburger lately.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 02:16:37 pm »

I've just started capturing FB using GCS and cage traps :D  I've got like... 14 of the things.  Well, FB and Titans together, 14.  My new policy on living underground is to keep my wealth very low until I get a GCS, then I can capture anything and I'm safe :P

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 03:03:15 pm »

Another FB related question, if you won't mind: Is their web usable for anything? I have a blob of water hanging out that can apparently shoot web.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 03:25:05 pm »

I've got some web shooters as well.  I'm debating a FB Farm similar to a GCS farm, except a lot more dangerous, but I don't think you can use it for anything except selling it off - if it even sticks.  The few times I've seen shots fired, they hit someone and were lost.  Not sure about surviving projectiles.

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 03:29:54 pm »

I've got some web shooters as well.  I'm debating a FB Farm similar to a GCS farm, except a lot more dangerous, but I don't think you can use it for anything except selling it off - if it even sticks.  The few times I've seen shots fired, they hit someone and were lost.  Not sure about surviving projectiles.

Have they fixed FB webs, then? As of .18, FB's with webs as their specials didn't function properly.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 03:39:27 pm »

Not sure, I've been careful with all my FB, but seen a titan shooting boulders, or something before...