Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stable Version to fortress in?  (Read 2485 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Stable Version to fortress in?
« on: March 07, 2011, 11:51:43 am »

I'm looking to make a large fort, but it seems an update always comes along right when I get anywhere good.

What is the latest stable system?
Are there any good update features coming soon that are worth waiting for?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
Re: Stable Version to fortress in?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 01:09:33 pm »

Check out the dev notes and stuff on the front page to get an idea of where the latest version is at. Personally, I'm using .18 and having fun with it. People have said it's too "free" with minerals (and that .10 and .20 are too stingy), but I enjoy it as a noob player who wants to set up a metal industry and crank out steel.

.18 requires that you irrigate underground layers to farm, and people have varying success with marksdwarfs and hospitals. There are some other bugged features too, but it sounds like those things have been spotty for several releases so there's no need to mention them here.

tl;dr

I like playing .18

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 01:20:50 pm »

.21 seems to be stable.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 01:45:40 pm »

I've been enjoying (!) the scarcity of minerals in 31.19 by building pocket fortresses with an artificially small population cap.  It has really helped me work out some techniques for fixing framerate -- path length reduction, intensive use of Burrows, and trading away non-meltable Finished Goods to the caravans ASAP so they don't clutter up the place, and keeping a population of haulers around.

Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 02:15:32 pm »

There's really no such thing as a "stable version" of DF.  You have to balance the features you want vs. the bugs you're willing to live with.

Some versions introduced many new features and bugs (e.g. 0.31.19).  Some other versions primarily fixed bugs without adding too many new features (e.g. 0.31.20 and .21).  I suspect you're aiming for one of the latter kind.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Valguris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 02:34:11 pm »

You can start now with the newest version and then, when new version comes out - just transfer your save. This will allow you to play with most features and minimum bugs.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 02:52:15 pm »

.12 is still very decent if you just want to build things
.18 is the most udated while still stable
.20 has its own problems but contain the most features.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 04:36:16 pm »

.21 is supposed to have fixed the stability issues of .20.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 06:11:14 pm »

I'm not sure about those stability issues being resolved.
Just today, I tried creating a new world with advanced parameters, but without changing much. As soon as I pressed "enter" the game froze for a few minutes until I closed it. I restarted and clicked "Create new world now". I ran a search for an embark site and the whole computer locked up. After that I simply had it running in the background (at the main menu) and left for lunch. When I came back the computer woke up with a BSOD.

That said, I do quite a bit of multitasking but my computer has never been this unstable. I can't say for sure if it's a hardware problem but .21 is the only thing on my computer that changed since yesterday. Right now I'm running a full virus scan and am about to start monitoring temperatures.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 07:28:39 pm »

It's really too early to know how stable .21 is, but so far for me there have been no major problems with it.  (I've only done 2 world gens and about 1 game year of actual playing, though.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 07:29:47 pm »

As many would be saying, it is VERY unlikely for software to cause BSODs. Including virii. Most likely it is a hardware problem.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 07:39:27 pm »

As many would be saying, it is VERY unlikely for software to cause BSODs. Including virii. Most likely it is a hardware problem.
Or at least an OS problem. I've seen BSODs because of bad or deleted system files.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 07:43:14 pm »

You could always wait for version 1.00.00, but I expect (with no disrespect to Toady, in fact the inverse!) that there'd be a version 1.00.01 along almost immediately afterwards to... fine-tune some particular behaviour.

Even if it's only getting the haptic feedback settings correct for one of the lesser-known brands of virtual gloves, so that players not using one of the three industry standards (iGloves, WinGauntlets and LinMits) can still truly appreciate the rock textures supplied along with the regular VR release and get much the same effect as the brain-in-jars people get automatically.  :)

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 07:55:47 pm »

You could always wait for version 1.00.00, but I expect (with no disrespect to Toady, in fact the inverse!) that there'd be a version 1.00.01 along almost immediately afterwards to... fine-tune some particular behaviour.

Even if it's only getting the haptic feedback settings correct for one of the lesser-known brands of virtual gloves, so that players not using one of the three industry standards (iGloves, WinGauntlets and LinMits) can still truly appreciate the rock textures supplied along with the regular VR release and get much the same effect as the brain-in-jars people get automatically.  :)

"I love the power glove.  it's bad."  At having full compatibility with indie games.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.