Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seasonal freezing and aquifers  (Read 837 times)

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seasonal freezing and aquifers
« on: March 07, 2011, 04:27:29 am »

So in my current fort I have been working on punching through a two-layer aquifer via cavein and after finally doing so I was able to start digging deep. There was still a bunch of 1/7 and 2/7 water sitting around on top of my 'plug' when the winter freeze came, but the floors were only ice for the most part and I just went on digging. I built some hatches to ensure that the resulting thaw didn't flood my stairwells, but when the thaw came the hatches essentially proved useless and my dwarves were soon drowning from the overflowing water.

Now after several savescums to diagnose what the hell happened, I feel like I can say with a high degree of certainty that melting water "reactivates" aquifer layers as I found that the water was literally coming from the ceiling and the walls of the plug even after I had completely walled off the starwells in an attempt to staunch the random flooding.

Now I have a question: how the hell do I get rid of ice floors completely? I can simply pave over them but that doesn't change the fact that if I removed the floor tiles I would still have ice underneath. Is there a way I can wipe out my icy foe?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Seasonal freezing and aquifers
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 04:30:30 am »

Channeling removes the floor.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 04:34:25 am »

Why don't you just dig a 3x3 vertical up/down staircase through the ice, and then construct walls on the 8 external tiles wherever the ice was? This "box" should prevent the aquifer from flowing in.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 12:30:43 pm »

Yea, I probably should have mentioned that I would prefer to maintain the soil on that particular z-level.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 03:19:43 pm »

Self-draining pump stack? Drain up one level out of the edges of the aquifer, and back into the aquifer?

Or just carve out a drain tank off to one side to a pump stack back up over the aquifer?

Or try pumping out and smoothing the stone walls of the remaining aquifer? Or just building walls to keep the Aquifer contained within itself.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 04:28:08 pm »

The problem is the two layers of soil that I used to cavein, once they get wet, magically turn into an aquifer and immediately begin draining from the ceiling into what is eventually going to be my fort. So far I have gone into the raws and set my dwarves at [SPEED:0] and turned off temperature so that I could wall and floor every tile with ice, and once temperature was turned back on and the Late Winter thaw came, the aquifer was not reactivated. My major buggaboo is that when I deconstruct the floors, there is still ice underneath that for some reason won't thaw, and it is this in particular that is just driving me up the wall.

Also as far as I can tell, there does not seem to be any other documented instance of this happening that I have been able to find on the forums or in the wiki.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 05:28:44 pm »

Sounds like a pretty wierd problem, I usually pave over the aquifer breach area for oddities like that. Anyways have you tried digging a downstair on the icefloors then putting a new floor down and then taking it backup? Dunno if that'll work, but might be worth a try.