Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Undead Birds  (Read 2521 times)

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Undead Birds
« on: March 07, 2011, 02:08:11 am »

I just had a bunch of skeletal and zombie buzzards come to my fortress.
I noticed an interesting thing, the skeletal ones could fly, but the zombie ones couldn't.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Undead Birds
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 03:18:40 am »

Doesn't that make a strange sort of sense to anyone else?  Somehow I can easily imagine a flying skeletal bird, but a zombie bird just seems unrealistic.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 03:19:46 am »

skeletal = no feathers no feathers = YOU CANT FLY FOOL
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 03:24:45 am »

Fantasy has played with cartilage before.
Hello Hunam

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 04:06:59 am »

I imagine the same supernatural forces that cause the bones of a creature to start moving by themselves are also responsible for its ability to fly.
Zombie creatures would lack the energy needed for flight, if we assume they are the classic 'slow' zombies.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 04:10:43 am »

Yeah, but skeletons are often portrayed in fantasy as being held together by magic, while zombies are usually diseased. That's why skeletons sometimes have swords and armour in general media, but not zombies.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 09:40:05 am »

This is true, but keep in mind that a skeletal being also has no internal organs, so how could it survive?

Answer: A wizard did it.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 09:43:16 am »

Zombie Crows Resident evil style...
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 09:43:48 am »

If I remember correctly this is the opposite of how skeletal and zombie creatures work in Dungeons and Dragons, for those who are curious: Zombie creatures fly (albeit crappily), whereas skeletal creatures cannot do so.

*shrug* Anything can be justified, although personally my druthers would be either only zombies can fly or neither can fly, as it seems a little odd to me that whatever vile force of the land which causes the dead to rise from the grave also happens to grant certain things the ability to magically hover, but only things which could do so while alive but only if the body has rotted away enough to be fleshless.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 11:46:33 am »

*shrug* Anything can be justified, although personally my druthers would be either only zombies can fly or neither can fly, as it seems a little odd to me that whatever vile force of the land which causes the dead to rise from the grave also happens to grant certain things the ability to magically hover, but only things which could do so while alive but only if the body has rotted away enough to be fleshless.

Way I see it, Zombies probably have the ability to fly as well -- they just lack the energy or focus to do so.  Zombies are stupid; they do not think.  They know only one thing: vile death.  ...  Wait, so far I'm just describing dwarves.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 01:02:35 pm »

I imagine the same supernatural forces that cause the bones of a creature to start moving by themselves are also responsible for its ability to fly.
Zombie creatures would lack the energy needed for flight, if we assume they are the classic 'slow' zombies.

Zombie implys slow and brain dead more so then even rotting. So the most logically thing would be they don't possess the cognitive ability to fly. While skeletons on the other hand would have to be completely animated by a magical force so I'd have to say a wizard did it. And I'm gonna have to now leave this topic on Zombies because my Z key is gone and this is a very hard conversation to have.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 03:38:08 pm »

i love how everyone is discussing the mechanics behind undeath, instead of commenting on 'How many did they kill?!' or theorycrafting on possible weaponization of said flying skeletal birds...

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 04:30:15 pm »

Can zombies or skeletons even be tamed?
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 08:24:20 pm »

No, and they're hostile to everything (?) that isn't undead.

Really, the only reason they aren't weaponized more often is because they're killed too easily.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 08:34:33 pm »

i love how everyone is discussing the mechanics behind undeath, instead of commenting on 'How many did they kill?!' or theorycrafting on possible weaponization of said flying skeletal birds...

Well, we need to determine which is both most weaponizable and which makes the most sense as a weapon.  Can we use Skeletal Birds as a weapon if we can't suspend our disbelief long enough to accept that they can fly?  I sure couldn't. 

And who cares "how many did they kill"?  It's a number somewhere between "1" and "all existence."  That's how many...  always die.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.
Pages: [1] 2