Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.21 Released  (Read 61264 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.21 Released
« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2011, 04:16:01 pm »

Fixing the problem with coins being split into single-coin piles and never recombined, would probably also fix the problem with used crossbow bolts never being restacked.  Though that problem would be difficult, what with not only the difference in bolt quality, but maker and ornamentations as well.

my fix:

assign these items to stack into a purse or amno bag (ie quiver) that has the dwarf name to it, this way, you can trade coins with impunity of ownership, since itll be the bag tagged with ownership, and not the coins.

p.s. dwarfs have problems with those pots still, ie: not showing up food on stocks or dwarfs recognising the food inside the pots. :P other than that, love them.

Edit: nvm, just my millatery claimming all the food in the pots and starving the rest of the fortress 0.o
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 04:22:14 pm by Karakzon »
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

estesowaelu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2011, 08:50:22 pm »

I am a complete noob who really wants to delve deep into DF, but I am currently stymied: the Mac download does not contain a .app, only a .exe.

I am confused. Am I missing something?

estesowaelu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2011, 08:56:23 pm »

...And I have answered my own question: "df," the Unix Executable.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2011, 11:45:10 am »

Fixing the problem with coins being split into single-coin piles and never recombined, would probably also fix the problem with used crossbow bolts never being restacked.  Though that problem would be difficult, what with not only the difference in bolt quality, but maker and ornamentations as well.

Restacking of crossbow bolts is irrelevant, since the dwarves can put multiple stacks into their quiver now.  This is a huge step forward from 40d, where they could only carry ONE stack of bolts in their hand, or one stack in their hand and one in their quiver.  Granted, stacks of bone bolts were bigger than 5 back then, but still....

The issue with coins was just another symptom of the general issue of hauling and inventory.  Dwarves can only haul one item at a time, and they don't use their hands to do so.  They seem to have an infinitely large Hauling Pouch as part of their anatomy.  When someone brews a stack of prickle berries and generates 8 seeds, 8 dwarves have to come and haul the seeds, one seed per dwarf.  It's faintly ridiculous, and I'm sure Toady plans to fix it at some point, but it's obviously low priority.

The fix for coins will probably be something like the fix with quivers -- you can put multiple stacks of bolts into a quiver now, and some day in the future, I'm sure you'll be able to carry multiple coins of various types in a pocket, wallet, coinpurse, whatever.

Likewise, I'm sure some day a dwarf will be able to pick up more than one seed, and carry them all to the seed stockpile at one time, possibly using a basket, or a pocket, or just bare hands....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

name

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2011, 02:20:54 pm »

[...]
Likewise, I'm sure some day a dwarf will be able to pick up more than one seed, and carry them all to the seed stockpile at one time, possibly using a basket, or a pocket, or just bare hands....
I doubt Toady will impliment that. It would require a vastly more complicated system than the current one, and possibly a re-write of the way that stockpiles (probably) work. It could even require more uncertainty and therefore more calculations in the pathfinding code.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2011, 02:24:21 pm »

no, he will implement that, toady can't avoid some re-writes, and a hauling overhaul is on the table already

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2011, 03:08:51 pm »

But it is broad enough that we aren't likely to see it in the near future. Retooling hauling (or, more generally, pathfinding) will probably be a part of its own "development arc" rather than tacked on to something else.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2011, 09:54:52 pm »

But it is broad enough that we aren't likely to see it in the near future. Retooling hauling (or, more generally, pathfinding) will probably be a part of its own "development arc" rather than tacked on to something else.

Pathfinding isn't really "broken enough" to worry about right now IMHO... although I have seen some amusing bugs. I tend to use diagonal hallways and I've noticed that when walking along diagonals, dwarves will often breeze past their destination (sometimes coming within 2 squares of it!) and get a good 30 squares away before they notice and double back.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2011, 12:09:44 am »

If Pathfinding could be optimized it should be, considering how much memory it takes up.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2011, 01:15:07 am »

Hey, has this bug been reported already? If you assign a pastured animal to a rope, they will be moved back and forth forever.

edit: I also became a barony before I got a mayor (pop 49), is that supposed to be possible?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 01:20:40 am by abadidea »
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2011, 04:51:20 am »

Hey, has this bug been reported already? If you assign a pastured animal to a rope, they will be moved back and forth forever.

edit: I also became a barony before I got a mayor (pop 49), is that supposed to be possible?

1- Yes, a.k.a. the eternal tug-of-war. (fixed 3-6-2011)
2- dunno, you must be very rich. :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 04:54:05 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2011, 01:21:36 pm »

2- dunno, you must be very rich. :)

I had somewhere in the one hundred thousand range when this happened (almost all of that glass discs). Surely that's not much at all!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 01:26:41 pm by abadidea »

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2011, 03:04:41 pm »

Not quite, but close.  In .21 if you assign an animal to a pasture, then assign it to a rope without removing it from the pasture list, it will be constantly switched between the two.  Dragged from the pasture to the rope, then back to the pasture, then back to the rope.  No fighting between jobs though, the animal ends up at the destination, then gets brough back.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2011, 01:10:21 am »

I'll just drop in to complain about the fact that 0.31.21 still hasn't fixed the population cap bug -- namely that it is ignored. This bug has been known in the bug tracker (#2922) since last August.  I was ready to forgive one wave over the top (as 40d wasn't perfect in that regard), but at a cap of 10 I was pushed first to 14 then to 17.

Why is this bug so hard to fix?  It should be simple enough for the game to silently kill any excess migrants without even telling the player.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 22, 2011, 07:10:11 am »

Well the first two waves are hard-coded to arrive, regardless of population cap. That doesn't seem like a bug to me, just an aspect of the game.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12