Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.21 Released  (Read 61260 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.21 Released
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2011, 12:28:10 pm »

My only complait is that it is not easy to track which weapons are used and how many unused weapons of a certain type are still unused, otherwise I like the military screen.

Oh, and IIRC it is not possible to remove units once created, or was it that the noble position of the squadleader remains even after removing the squad.

If you disband a squad, the noble screen will list a vacancy for Militia Captain. Mildly annoying, but hardly gamebreaking.

You can certainly shuffle units around after the squad is created.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2011, 03:29:35 pm »

It could use some refining (the ability to filter the list of dwarves would be nice, either dynamically based on a string you provide or a simple toggle to not show dwarves who are already in a squad), but then that is true of the overall interface itself. I tend to agree that if you can play the game, it's not a huge leap in understanding the military interface. There are some quirks that can make it annoying to use (mostly centered around frequency of training, especially archery practice) but I consider it reasonably functional.

I'd really like the option to examine dwarves from the military squad. I know I have too many of certain professions and will gladly put my spares in the military, but if I could check their skills from the military screen that would be wonderful.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2011, 03:36:21 pm »

It could use some refining (the ability to filter the list of dwarves would be nice, either dynamically based on a string you provide or a simple toggle to not show dwarves who are already in a squad), but then that is true of the overall interface itself. I tend to agree that if you can play the game, it's not a huge leap in understanding the military interface. There are some quirks that can make it annoying to use (mostly centered around frequency of training, especially archery practice) but I consider it reasonably functional.

I'd really like the option to examine dwarves from the military squad. I know I have too many of certain professions and will gladly put my spares in the military, but if I could check their skills from the military screen that would be wonderful.

or at least thier current inventory, to see just how close to fully steel my troops actually are when set to partially match thier gear.
This is a blank sig.

Rog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2011, 04:23:19 pm »

Just curious. I have been searching but cannot find, is there any information on when we could expect the dwarven economy to return? I have been waiting for a long time. I started playing right after DF was DF2010 and never saw it, and it makes me sad.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2011, 04:31:01 pm »

All the menus are a hodge-podge. It'd be nice if Toady could standardise the format of all the menus, and also allow in depth querying of items in the menus, and at the same time make it possible to manage labour assignments in game without the need to use third party applications. If Toady spent time improving each individual menu system, he'd only have to undo his work again when it comes time to standardise the menus. Personally, I'm happy to wait for that.

I've never played with the economy before, but I'd imagine that the economy will make some form of return once Toady has implemented much of the new 'caravan arc' stuff.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Rog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2011, 04:40:01 pm »

I thought about that being the case, but the local dwarven economy really has nothing to do with the global one right? It just deals with local goods and rooms and food. I'd have to know what was broken before I guess to understand it more. Though, given the caravan ark, perhaps there will be an inclusion of your local dwarves needs and what caravans buy and sell to the fortress and the rest of the world, in addition to your own requests. Oh well, still amazing never the less.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2011, 04:46:05 pm »

I'd bet the economy is planned as part of the caravan arc.  Part of what is going to determine what sort of goods other places want is their local economies, after all.

Gorfob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2011, 05:13:02 pm »

or at least thier current inventory, to see just how close to fully steel my troops actually are when set to partially match thier gear.

[m]ilitary -> [e]quip -> [P]ri/Assignments gives a list of what the dwarf is wearing at the time you can then scroll down the squad members and squads.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2011, 05:27:04 pm »

I cant wait til economy is returned and fixed for fortress mode (where money isnt dropped all over the place).
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Xelanthol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2011, 09:27:32 pm »

Any update on when the next version might be coming out?  :D

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2011, 09:46:38 pm »

Any update on when the next version might be coming out?  :D

Yes, in the current dev log entry on the DF home page: "I guess we're about halfway to the next bugfix release."  So probably 1-2 weeks from now.

Xelanthol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2011, 10:45:14 pm »

Oh thanks alot Footkerchief I didn't see that. I AM EXCITE! A patched up healthcare will be fantastic for the likes of us who are on the wall about danger rooms. WOOT

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2011, 04:18:54 am »

My only complait is that it is not easy to track which weapons are used and how many unused weapons of a certain type are still unused, otherwise I like the military screen.

Oh, and IIRC it is not possible to remove units once created, or was it that the noble position of the squadleader remains even after removing the squad.

If you disband a squad, the noble screen will list a vacancy for Militia Captain. Mildly annoying, but hardly gamebreaking.

You can certainly shuffle units around after the squad is created.
jup.

The only gamebreaking thing is troops dropping their weapons/armour just when they get a kill order.
AFAIK
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2011, 02:20:29 pm »

[m]ilitary -> [e]quip -> [P]ri/Assignments gives a list of what the dwarf is wearing at the time you can then scroll down the squad members and squads.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

thanks - cant quite believe i have missed that screen.
This is a blank sig.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2011, 02:44:03 pm »

Fixing the problem with coins being split into single-coin piles and never recombined, would probably also fix the problem with used crossbow bolts never being restacked.  Though that problem would be difficult, what with not only the difference in bolt quality, but maker and ornamentations as well.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12